• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Campbell @ Valpo

Started by VULB#62, September 23, 2013, 06:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: IndyValpo on September 30, 2013, 07:28:45 AM
Quote from: historyman on September 29, 2013, 11:57:14 AMIt was great to get the win! This team needed it so badly. Have we been here before? How does this team capitalize on this victory? I don't think Carlson wins again unless the thinking process of the quarterback changes. When Hoffman plays he completes passes if and only if his primary receiver is open. I think he gets one man on his mind and that is where he goes. On one interceptions he never looked anywhere else. You always know where Hoffman is throwing the ball. Hoffman is a really good passer. He hit some hands nobody else on the team or in Porter County could have hit. Let's get it in his head that he must versatile to really be the QB Valpo needs.
So throwing out the first game which should have never been scheduled, our QB is hitting on a 64% completion rate, 1200 yards, 11 TD's vs. 2 INT's plus we have scored 31, 34 and 49 in successive weeks and you think he well have to improve for us to win more games as opposed to the obvious stuff like a defense that has given up an average of 37 points and 512 yards in the last three games or the fact that we continue to miss extra points or that our punting and kick coverage remains wildly inconsistent? Our QB can certainly improve but he is way down the list of what has to get better for us to win some more games.
I actually believe that Hoffman is the key to winning because he does have some ability. I've given up on the defense, special teams and not sure what happens to Newman. David Macchi won 54-40something over Morehead in the PFL championship game in 2003. They didn't play a lot of defense then either.

If Hoffman can use his ability to increase his production a bit more Valpo wins the St Joe & William Jewell games and they are 3-1 and there is much room for Hoffman to grow.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Quote from: historyman on September 30, 2013, 12:57:24 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on September 30, 2013, 07:28:45 AM
Quote from: historyman on September 29, 2013, 11:57:14 AMIt was great to get the win! This team needed it so badly. Have we been here before? How does this team capitalize on this victory? I don't think Carlson wins again unless the thinking process of the quarterback changes. When Hoffman plays he completes passes if and only if his primary receiver is open. I think he gets one man on his mind and that is where he goes. On one interceptions he never looked anywhere else. You always know where Hoffman is throwing the ball. Hoffman is a really good passer. He hit some hands nobody else on the team or in Porter County could have hit. Let's get it in his head that he must versatile to really be the QB Valpo needs.
So throwing out the first game which should have never been scheduled, our QB is hitting on a 64% completion rate, 1200 yards, 11 TD's vs. 2 INT's plus we have scored 31, 34 and 49 in successive weeks and you think he well have to improve for us to win more games as opposed to the obvious stuff like a defense that has given up an average of 37 points and 512 yards in the last three games or the fact that we continue to miss extra points or that our punting and kick coverage remains wildly inconsistent? Our QB can certainly improve but he is way down the list of what has to get better for us to win some more games.
I actually believe that Hoffman is the key to winning because he does have some ability. I've given up on the defense, special teams and not sure what happens to Newman. David Macchi won 54-40something over Morehead in the PFL championship game in 2003. They didn't play a lot of defense then either.

If Hoffman can use his ability to increase his production a bit more Valpo wins the St Joe & William Jewell games and they are 3-1 and there is much room for Hoffman to grow.

In the seven conference games in 2003, Valpo allowed 240 points, or an average of 34.29 per game. Included in these numbers are us giving up 45 to Drake and 42 to Morehead, both, wins.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

chef

A slight technicality. The games against Austin Peay, Jacksonville, and Morehead St. were not conference games. Those teams were in the PFL South. Those were the days that only games against the PFL North counted as conference games. Thus Valpo won the league with a 3-1 conference record, winning the tie-break because of the victory over San Diego (also 3-1). In the 12 games that season the Crusaders averaged 34 ppg, while giving up about 28 ppg. I think everybody would be happy with allowing 28 ppg this season.

valpotx

That 2003 team was very fun to watch on offense.  It basically involved Macchi throwing bombs to Giancola, who would burn every team deep on a straight deep route.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUOR63

Say what you want about the 2003 defense but they got the stops necessary to win games--a lot like Valpo on Saturday against Campbell.  Unless you're playing fantasy football, it doesn't matter how many points you give up as long as it isn't as much as your team scores.

LaPorteAveApostle

PaulWestheadNoddingSadly.gif
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 01, 2013, 03:38:10 PMPaulWestheadNoddingSadly.gif
OMG, the Nuggies in 1990 to 1992, where Orlando Woolridge thougth he would reach all star status. Michael Adams at guard, the great Blair Rasmussem at center, Joe Wolf at forward. and Chirs Jackson to turn the franchise around.  Westhead was a major bust with a low talent level.

historyman

Quote from: chef on September 30, 2013, 04:23:09 PM
A slight technicality. The games against Austin Peay, Jacksonville, and Morehead St. were not conference games. Those teams were in the PFL South. Those were the days that only games against the PFL North counted as conference games. Thus Valpo won the league with a 3-1 conference record, winning the tie-break because of the victory over San Diego (also 3-1). In the 12 games that season the Crusaders averaged 34 ppg, while giving up about 28 ppg. I think everybody would be happy with allowing 28 ppg this season.
That seems like semantics to me. They would have been in the PFL championship game even if the other division games would have been counted? Correct?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

chef

Nope. They lost regular season games to Jacksonville and Morehead in 2003. It was fortunate they didn't count in the standings.

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 01, 2013, 05:50:40 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 01, 2013, 03:38:10 PMPaulWestheadNoddingSadly.gif
OMG, the Nuggies in 1990 to 1992, where Orlando Woolridge thougth he would reach all star status. Michael Adams at guard, the great Blair Rasmussem at center, Joe Wolf at forward. and Chirs Jackson to turn the franchise around.  Westhead was a major bust with a low talent level.

Geez, bringing back some bad memories for me, as they were bad back then.  We lived in Denver from 1986-1990, right before moving to TX.  I was a Nuggets' fan as a child because of this, but I hated watching Blair Rasmussen and Danny Schayes at Forward.  I loved Michael Adams, and have a picture of me as an 8-9 year old with him at some event.  I became a fan of all DFW sports teams in the early 90's, except I have retained my love for the Denver Broncos and dislike of the Cowboys  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

milanmiracle

A win, A win, it's a win! I am really happy for the kids, and I know it must take a lot to deal with that kind of losing. 3-0 against Campbell...0-whatever against anybody else. To quote Ray Zalinski (Tommy Boy) "Savor the flavor because it sure as heck won't happen again"
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 02, 2013, 03:51:43 PMTo quote Ray Zalinski (Tommy Boy) "Savor the flavor because it sure as heck won't happen again"
Excellent...you're my new favorite poster.

the first part of that quote (that you omitted) could be used instead as the caption of the middle photograph above:  "you threw one by me" :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpofan98

vudad is your son a linemen because you seem to give them a lot of credit. I would say they have improved for sure but were part of the problem before the offense started clicking as well. st. joes got to the qb multiples times from what i heard on the radio. your knowledge of whats happening to the team is off so watch your son and keep quiet from there.

historyman and valpotx i would love to know where you get your knowledge of football. to me you dont sound very smart. watching the last game there were plenty of check downs. the passing game is doing pretty well. conway and hutson are getting a lot of touches as well as underneath routes by gladney and cassara. To me you cant have that many passing yards and not go through your reads and have checks to get into the right plays.

In the past the offense was inexperienced and had a hard time executing plays as a whole. they are now starting to jell as a unit. watch out.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofan98 on October 03, 2013, 06:42:39 PM
vudad is your son a linemen because you seem to give them a lot of credit. I would say they have improved for sure but were part of the problem before the offense started clicking as well. st. joes got to the qb multiples times from what i heard on the radio. your knowledge of whats happening to the team is off so watch your son and keep quiet from there.

historyman and valpotx i would love to know where you get your knowledge of football. to me you dont sound very smart. watching the last game there were plenty of check downs. the passing game is doing pretty well. conway and hutson are getting a lot of touches as well as underneath routes by gladney and cassara. To me you cant have that many passing yards and not go through your reads and have checks to get into the right plays.

In the past the offense was inexperienced and had a hard time executing plays as a whole. they are now starting to jell as a unit. watch out.

Never have taken a poster to task, but calling out individuals as you did didn't, IMO, fit with the spirit of this board.  We disagree all the time, but don't tell people to shut up or tell them they don't know what they know.  You are speculating about both and that is exactly what you are criticizing.  I do, however, respect your observations on QB play and their use of underneath routes.  Although, based on three seasons of history, those might (I don't know for sure) be called-in plays.  That strategy was and still is a weakness we are vulnerable to on D.

valpofan98

::)

I could see hoffman go through the reads on most of those short pass. you don't look for multiple different receivers to throw a called play. thats reading a defense. also if any offense is to score points at any college level plays must me changed or checked out of. no coach can ever call the right play every time and that is the players responsibility to react to that on the field. so again there are checks being made and the primary receiver is not thrown to every time or there is no way the valpo offense or any offense for that matter can score consistently.

VUdad

Sorry valpofan98, not even close on my id. Apologies if you don't agree with what I see/hear--there's plenty I question, too. As for my info on what's happening, I rest well knowing what I know and from whom. Watching the O-line the past two games is why I've sent kudos, and I've highlighted Hoffman's improvement since the August scrimmage. Hopefully, it's okay to throw observations, interpretations, theories, and wishes up on this forum going forward. Seems like we all want to see W's.     

historyman

vudad is your son a linemen because you seem to give them a lot of credit. I would say they have improved for sure but were part of the problem before the offense started clicking as well. st. joes got to the qb multiples times from what i heard on the radio. your knowledge of whats happening to the team is off so watch your son and keep quiet from there?

I've been watching out for over 30 years now.

I would love more than anything to see this team succeed. I think that means winning at least 2 more games. I have offered my opinions which will at times be critical of the team and they are just what they are----opinions. You are certainly free to disagree and state your opinion (and it would help if you used results). If there was another team in another conference that had the same record and the same kind of issues would you feel the same about that team.

I suggest that in your first two posts that you not tell anyone to not give their honest opinions and shut up. If it distresses you greatly to hear those opinions then maybe this is not the place for you.

FWalum

Quote from: valpofan98 on October 03, 2013, 06:42:39 PMvudad is your son a linemen because you seem to give them a lot of credit. I would say they have improved for sure but were part of the problem before the offense started clicking as well. st. joes got to the qb multiples times from what i heard on the radio. your knowledge of whats happening to the team is off so watch your son and keep quiet from there.

historyman and valpotx i would love to know where you get your knowledge of football. to me you dont sound very smart. watching the last game there were plenty of check downs.

Wow! I commend VUdad and historyman for their civil and restrained retorts to valpofan98's initial post.  I agree with VULB#62 that it is rare for that type of tone to be heard on this board. Not sure if I would have been so polite in my response.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: FWalum on October 04, 2013, 12:53:23 AMNot sure if I would have been so polite in my response.
goes double for me.

valpotx

Hmm, let's see.  I played football in the football-dominated state of TX, and have been a fan of the game since I was 4-5.  You don't need to play college football to understand that if someone is not being defended, that it would be best to make that person get the ball through a nod of the head or hand signal.  A 'little old baseball player' like me can even spot something like that on the field ::).

In regards to intelligence, before you say anything about someone 'not being very smart,' you might want to learn how to capitalize the first letter of each new sentence... 8-)
"Don't mess with Texas"

milanmiracle

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 03, 2013, 07:36:29 PM

Never have taken a poster to task, but calling out individuals as you did didn't, IMO, fit with the spirit of this board.  We disagree all the time, but don't tell people to shut up or tell them they don't know what they know.  You are speculating about both and that is exactly what you are criticizing.  I do, however, respect your observations on QB play and their use of underneath routes.  Although, based on three seasons of history, those might (I don't know for sure) be called-in plays.  That strategy was and still is a weakness we are vulnerable to on D.

I have been called out, and responded in kind more than once, however, I didn't do it within my first 3 posts. That's just in poor taste IMO. While we might not all agree, as a whole I think we all get along pretty well, and just want Valpo to succeed. How we get to that point and what we categorize success may differ, but in my opinion most people on here are pretty civil and at worst tolerant of each other.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

usc4valpo

I have been critical about this situation and will be honest of my opinion and what I think needs to be done.   However, we all need to show respect of our views.  I will not go off saying what a wonderful job Carlson has done and we have a product meeting or exceeding expections. It is not happening period.  But to rip people on the board who are all stakeholders of Valpo expressing their opinions is unacceptable.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 05, 2013, 03:04:25 PMI have been critical about this situation and will be honest of my opinion and what I think needs to be done. 
Is it time to start a thread on possible coaching candidates?  What other upgrades does the University and football team need to be competitive in FCS non-scholarship football of the Pioneer Football League?

usc4valpo

Quote from: covufan on October 05, 2013, 03:33:30 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 05, 2013, 03:04:25 PMI have been critical about this situation and will be honest of my opinion and what I think needs to be done.
Is it time to start a thread on possible coaching candidates? What other upgrades does the University and football team need to be competitive in FCS non-scholarship football of the Pioneer Football League?
Valpo needs better football facilities for sure.  The locker room situation is unacceptable.

As for coaching candidates - I cannot think of a serious one right now.  As for fun, I can imagine others who could step in.   How about Mike Ditka as he accepts it gracefully in a humaritarian effort?  We need a serious gamechanger.   If da Coach came in, alumni donations would exponentially increase.  Think of the ESPN coverage!  Think of the post game interviews in Rensaleer!  Think of all the Chicago kids going to Valpo.  Think of the cigar smell in the ARC.

OK, wishful thinking.  Back to Reality.  Bummer.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 05, 2013, 05:14:16 PMThink of the post game interviews in Rensaleer! 

"Yep, this started out as a nightmare coming back to Ben's Ear Leer then it got worse. Improvement on defense? Who you crappin'? Wore a hunter's cap with flaps so Ben couldn't stare so much."