• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Marist

Started by VULB#62, September 28, 2013, 07:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

I was supposed to be at this game in Poughkeepsie, but, alas, I moved to from the Boston area Wisconsin over Labor day.

Marist has a very good QB and plays hard nosed football.  Then the next week we fly to Mercer.  First year program.  Should be a patsy.  NOT. They drubbed last year's co-champion Drake today 31-17.

VULB#62

I know this is off this topic, but I wanted to acknowledge USC4VALPO -- Kiffin got the ax after the ASU blow-out.  Isn't his DC his dad.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

Wow.  Thanks so much for the love!

First, congrats to the fighting Crusaders for a hard fought, exciting win.  I feel good for the student athletes that they get a chance to ring the bell and experience victory despite having an inept coach.

As for Lane Kiffin, this was not suprising and likely overdue.  USC AD Pat Haden has been very patient, but obviously enough is enough.  The QB is not playing with confidence, they are not playing smart, recruits are staying away, etc.   I watched the game on Saturday night, and had enough after the third quarter and went to sleep.  Also, I give Haden much credit for the way it was handled - firing someone is never easy  but it had to be done.   No one will miss Kiffin with the visor and Denny's menu in hand.

The interesting part of this story is all the speculation on who will be the next coach.  Some of these proposed candidates are just plain ridiculas - I mean like  Saban, Meyer, Fitzgerald and Sumlin will have interest.   It will be interesting. 

Wow, we will have a ND-USC game very likely with enither team ranked.  Who would have thunked?

valpo95

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 29, 2013, 12:32:31 PM
I know this is off this topic, but I wanted to acknowledge USC4VALPO -- Kiffin got the ax after the ASU blow-out.  Isn't his DC his dad.

Monte Kiffin is now the DC for the Dallas Cowboys.  Might be one reason that they gave up 62 points to Arizona State.

Of course, that means Lane Kiffin is now available should VU also decide to make a move.   ;)

vu72

Quote from: valpo95 on September 30, 2013, 08:28:15 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 29, 2013, 12:32:31 PM

Monte Kiffin is now the DC for the Dallas Cowboys.  Might be one reason that they gave up 62 points to Arizona State.

Of course, that means Lane Kiffin is now available should VU also decide to make a move.   ;)

Not sure what's the big deal.  Our DC  and HC gave up 69 to ND and still have their jobs.   ;)

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

on the other hand, maybe Carlson is on the USC list  ;)

his quotes will work well with the LA media.

too funny.

valpotx

Saban wouldn't leave Alabama for USC.  The only college job that could potentially pull away Saban is UT, the largest money maker/biggest school and most talent-rich state in NCAA football.  This probably won't happen either, though, as he is getting on in years, and would be smart to enjoy what he has built up at Alabama.

In regards to Marist:

Valpo 28
Marist 45
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 30, 2013, 07:56:53 AMWow, we will have a ND-USC game very likely with enither team ranked.  Who would have thunked?
Using only season ending polls, looks like '83, '85, '86, '97, '99, '01 and '10.  The Tollner/Faust years were lean for both teams.  The Bob Davie 'odd' years coincided with Robinson II, Hackett and Carroll's first year.  Both teams were 8-5 in 2010. 

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on September 30, 2013, 12:33:30 PM
Saban wouldn't leave Alabama for USC.  The only college job that could potentially pull away Saban is UT, the largest money maker/biggest school and most talent-rich state in NCAA football.  This probably won't happen either, though, as he is getting on in years, and would be smart to enjoy what he has built up at Alabama.

In regards to Marist:

Valpo 28
Marist 45

You forget that Marist is a big step up and the Valpo defense is still way, way down.

Valpo    33
Marist   61

usc4valpo

Quote from: covufan on September 30, 2013, 12:37:12 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on September 30, 2013, 07:56:53 AMWow, we will have a ND-USC game very likely with enither team ranked. Who would have thunked?
Using only season ending polls, looks like '83, '85, '86, '97, '99, '01 and '10. The Tollner/Faust years were lean for both teams. The Bob Davie 'odd' years coincided with Robinson II, Hackett and Carroll's first year. Both teams were 8-5 in 2010.
You are correct, outstanding football knowledge.

usc4valpo

Another game toward Carlson's inevitable closure:

Marist 56
Valpo 28

covufan

I hope I'm wrong and that the football team has turned a corner, or at least the game is more competitive than I'm predicting:

Valpo  17
Marist  38

VUOR63

Valpo 66
Marist 64

Tied at 35 at the end of regulation, Valpo wins in 4 OTs by stopping the 2 pt. conversion.

LaPorteAveApostle

you're just channelling the UM-Illini game from 2010, aren't you
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

willy

I have a bad feeling about this one.  Marist is playing really well having beat Georgetown and Dayton.  In the Carlson era Marist has beat us three times with the average score being 41-7  Since this is not Campbell I'm picking Marist. 

Valpo 7
Marist 41

VULB#62

Quote from: willy on October 04, 2013, 09:47:59 AM
I have a bad feeling about this one.  Marist is playing really well having beat Georgetown and Dayton.  In the Carlson era Marist has beat us three times with the average score being 41-7  Since this is not Campbell I'm picking Marist. 

Valpo 7
Marist 41

They always play tough and they are better, usually, on the defensive side of the ball.  But their QB, Looney, has really emerged, so I have to agree.

setshot

I understand that a Valpo alum is funding a dinner at the Bocuse Restaurant at the CIA in Hyde Park. Wow! Could this be the last supper? ???

bbtds

Quote from: setshot on October 04, 2013, 06:51:45 PM
I understand that a Valpo alum is funding a dinner at the Bocuse Restaurant at the CIA in Hyde Park. Wow! Could this be the last supper? ???
In case you were all sitting around and going "huh" to yet another of setshot's confusing posts, here is a clue.

http://www.ciachef.edu/

usc4valpo

too funny.  We should get expert analysis from Rachael Ray.

VULB#62

We may never see this quote from the PFL website again:

Valparaiso travels to Marist for a meeting of early season PFL un- beatens.      :dance:

The rest of the summary:  The Crusaders pulled out an overtime victory against Campbell in Week 5 and now seek a win against a PFL team other than Campbell for the first time since defeating Davidson in 2008. The Red Foxes won at Dayton in Week 5 for their second straight road win but return to Tenney Stadium for the first time since losing their season-opener to Sacred Heart.

bbtds

The Valpo Athletics website doesn't have the correct stats site. Here is the correct one.

http://www.goredfoxes.com/newLiveStats/Football/index.dbml?GAME_STAT_ID=1455960&db_oem_id=27700

valporun

The Crusaders will have to win the remainder of the season without Jake Hutson. He injured his knee last week, and is OUT the rest of the season.

valpotx

Hoffman is absolutely terrible about knowing when to just get rid of the ball out of bounds, or take a sack.  It sounds like he is doing the same thing this week that he did last week, where he would be outside the tackle box being chased, and take the sack, rather than just throwing it out of bounds for no loss.  He does the exact opposite thing when he has open field in front of him, where he will throw it right before getting to the line of scrimmage for an incomplete pass, when he could have a 6-10 yard gain in just him continuing to run and then slide...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

That's been his weakness, good decision making when under pressure, and no receivers open.