• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Marist

Started by VULB#62, September 28, 2013, 07:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

a 37-0 beatdown.  Campbell must really suck.  wow.

In the spirit of mid season firings, which terminal at O'Hare will the Crusaders land, and will ML be there to greet them?

usc4valpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 04, 2013, 12:27:24 PM
Quote from: willy on October 04, 2013, 09:47:59 AMI have a bad feeling about this one. Marist is playing really well having beat Georgetown and Dayton. In the Carlson era Marist has beat us three times with the average score being 41-7 Since this is not Campbell I'm picking Marist. Valpo 7 Marist 41
They always play tough and they are better, usually, on the defensive side of the ball. But their QB, Looney, has really emerged, so I have to agree.
willy, you are today's winner!  Congrats.

Wow, Hoffman obviously took a majot step back today.  Maybe the video provided Marist with some valuabel inside info!

milanmiracle

Quote from: valporun on October 05, 2013, 12:04:53 PM
That's been his weakness, good decision making when under pressure, and no receivers open.

I think this could apply to Carlson as well.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

VULB#62

I'd quibble with the word usage;  It's either "lack of good decision making... or poor decision making...." but the way it reads, he's cool under pressure.  But we all knew what you meant and I concur. 

6 sacks for over -40 yards. I knew they'd come after him -- that's just the way they play -- hard-nosed, ears pinned back. Yet the only way I've seen Valpo takes pressure off is a wide receiver bubble screen (works best when there is only normal pressure) or a draw that has seldom worked when the house is coming at you and a LB is spying the RB.  Problem with a 1 back backfield is that the keys are just too easy.  There is no option game to neutralize/leverage over- committing linemen and LBs.  And if you are going to fully commit to a passing attack, the play book has to be loaded with at least  3 different screen plays (to backs, TEs, WRs, the trainer, maybe a cheerleader or two) for every down and distance situation. 

Concur too with TX that there are some curious scenarios playing out when plays break down.

VULB#62

Just adding an observation about the Valpo FB experience for the kids.

The team had their pregame walk-through at Michie Stadium, home of the Black Knights of the Hudson, at West Point.  It is without a doubt one of the most picturesque stadiums in the country.  I was fortunate to watch Jim Plunkett and his Stanford team destroy the Cadets one year there.  The kids got to walk the West Point campus after their work out as well.  The kids may not be getting wins, but at least they are collecting some nice memories off the field.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 05, 2013, 10:06:56 PM
Just adding an observation about the Valpo FB experience for the kids.

The team had their pregame walk-through at Michie Stadium, home of the Black Knights of the Hudson, at West Point.  It is without a doubt one of the most picturesque stadiums in the country.  I was fortunate to watch Jim Plunkett and his Stanford team destroy the Cadets one year there.  The kids got to walk the West Point campus after their work out as well.  The kids may not be getting wins, but at least they are collecting some nice memories off the field.

If you're not winning at least enjoy the view. You have to wonder what quote Carlson came up with while walking through the graveyard at West Point.