• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Think outside the box - hockey

Started by usc4valpo, October 03, 2013, 06:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

why not?  talk about getting student interest!

VULB#62

And we would flood and freeze what?  LaCrosse is a more viable endeavor IMO.

usc4valpo

again, thinking out of the box.  Is there an ice center in the NW Indiana area?  Can we eventually build a 8 to 9K athletic center to accomodate both?  We just need LCMS cash. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 03, 2013, 07:37:57 PMLaCrosse is a more viable endeavor IMO
eh...seems more like a ghost town to me
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 03, 2013, 08:39:38 PMagain, thinking out of the box.  Is there an ice center in the NW Indiana area?  Can we eventually build a 8 to 9K athletic center to accomodate both?  We just need LCMS cash.

There's one in St. John, but

1. They are frequently booked with Lake Central Hockey and their amateur adult league team.
2. That's a 45 minute drive from campus (trust me I've done it too many times) and you're not going to get student or locals driving out to do that. 
3. You won't get Lake County people coming to a VU event unless they are a VU grad.  There's not nearly enough of those to be successful.

I would be the first in line to buy season tickets to Valpo Hockey, but you'll need to get an ice rink in Porter County.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

okinawatyphoon

I think hockey and Valpo would be a natural combination. We're far enough north to have a fan base, and it would also create a niche sport to set us apart. However, establishing a hockey team would probably require a sizable donation.

On another note, could Valpo take advantage of its proximity to Lake Michigan and establish a rowing team?
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

VULB#62

You don't want to row in Lake Michigan.  It has these things called waves.  Better to find a much smaller, serene lake or slow-flowing river  with approximately 2000 yards of straightaway and no turbulence.  Does anyone in Indiana, Michigan or Illinois have crew?

milanmiracle

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 06, 2013, 07:49:07 AM
You don't want to row in Lake Michigan.  It has these things called waves.  Better to find a much smaller, serene lake or slow-flowing river  with approximately 2000 yards of straightaway and no turbulence.  Does anyone in Indiana, Michigan or Illinois have crew?

I KNOW Purdue does...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

VULB#62

Might be club, cuz it's not listed on the Athletics website for either men or women.  Wisconsin is high power in both and the B1G lists a Women's Rowing championship, but not Men's.  Maybe some of the D-II and D-II schools run rowing programs, but being D-I we'd be committing to trailering the shells back east every spring weekend to compete at that level.

I'm back to adding Men's and Women's LaCrosse.

classof2014

I would love to see Valpo get a hockey team. Sadly unless a rink is built in Valpo it shall remain just a dream. Driving 45 minutes to St. John is unreasonable and think of the kids on the team, needing to plan an extra hour and a half just for commuting to a from practice. If Valpo, city or university, were to build a rink I could see it happening sometime. Quite a few students are from, Chicago, Detroit, Wisconsin, and Minnesota all hockey loving areas. As for me being a big Blackhawk fan I would definitely go to games and I'm sure many students and alumni will as well. NWI doesn't have much as hockey goes, just one rink in St. John serving a population of about 500,000. There is niche to be filled and I think it's time to get a hockey in NWI.

The only way this happens is if and only if Valparaiso gets a rink, if this doesn't happen hockey for VU is gonna remain just a dream.

ValpoRollerHockey

What about a roller hockey team? There is a roller hockey rink twenty minutes from campus called Sportsplex. Their address is 5201 US Highway 6, Portage, IN

We are trying to get interest in the team and hopefully become an official club. If you want more information search Valparaiso Roller Hockey club on Facebook.

valpo tundra

Downtown Valparaiso is building an ice rink as we speak, adjacent to the existing Central Park.  It will be ready summer of 2015 although ice will only be available November through March.  It will replace the local Tower Park which is only available during perfect ice making winter weather.  This will not be a solution for VU hockey, however, as the rink will not be regulation size nor fan friendly.  Notre Dame has a new hockey rink so South Bend has three on hand but it's about the same distance away from Valpo as St. John is.  A former NHL player (Todd Rierdon) lived in Valpo during his playing days and wanted to open a rink and concentrate on youth hockey but market forces prevented that.  Locations talked about were just north of Valpo and Burns Harbor.  VU would have to build a first class facility on campus, ala Miami of Ohio, to merit D1 interest.  I love hockey but do not see this happening here anytime soon.