• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Drake

Started by VULB#62, October 21, 2013, 10:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Somebody's got to start it.   :snore:

Drake is 2-2 PFL and 3-4 overall.  Tied for 7th in the league with JU..  Mercer and Morehead are above them in the standings.  We are 9th.

IndyValpo

From earlier this year:

Drake 31 U Indy 14
William Jewell 36 Valpo 34
U Indy 56 William Jewell 3

Not a good sign

VULB#62

More comparisons: 

William Jewel is 1-6 - lone win VU.

Also lost to stellar FB programs South Dakota School Of Mines 48-70 and Truman State 7-45,

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: IndyValpo on October 21, 2013, 11:36:28 AMDrake 31 U Indy 14
My math says
Drake 1,488
VU 34
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 21, 2013, 12:34:12 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on October 21, 2013, 11:36:28 AMDrake 31 U Indy 14
My math says
Drake 1,488
VU 34
OUCH!

My math says: Drake by 72. 

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Unless something drastic happens before or during the game, I'm going with Drake, in a score of 41 - 10.  The end is near...

Lurking Dog

Sagarin says Drake by 40.  I'm skeptical.  Injuries have Drake thin at linebacker.

bbtds

I talked to a Greyhound fan the other day and the U Indy loss to Drake, which is their only loss of the season and on the road, seemed to be U Indy falling apart and everything going wrong at the same time. U Indy took a 7-0 lead with 30 seconds to go in the 2nd quarter when a roughing the kicker penalty aided Drake in getting a FG as the half ended. U Indy missed 2 FG's in the first quarter also.

In the 2nd half, the Greyhounds had a blocked punt deep in their own end which resulted in a Drake touchdown and a two point conversion to put the Bulldogs up by 14. Later when U Indy intercepted Drake at the 2 yard line it ended up back firing as the Greyhounds fumbled in the end zone when the QB was sacked which resulted in 7 more points for the Bulldogs.

I'm not saying a lot of credit shouldn't be extended to Drake for a big win over U Indy but it wasn't one of the Greyhounds best days.

Here's my prediction for the Valpo/Drake game.

Valpo   21
Drake   51

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on October 21, 2013, 12:49:30 PMOUCH!

I could have gotten the math wrong.  I was just operating on the ratio

31:14::56:3::36:34, reaching 1488 to 34.

That would be 212 TDs (and two safeties), or 53 TD per quarter, or 4.53 TD per minute, or a TD every 13.25 seconds.

So maybe the Transitive Rule of Football doesn't quite apply here.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

Quote from: covufan on October 21, 2013, 01:46:57 PMUnless something drastic happens before or during the game, I'm going with Drake, in a score of 41 - 10. The end is near...
What end is near?

milanmiracle

I really have to wonder why we still bother with predictions.  ???  :crazy: The only team they can beat is Campbell, and as I've said repeatedly (fill in misc. team), is not Campbell. I am still all for stealing the uniforms and replacing them with Campbell jerseys as somebody suggested.

I'll predict...Drake wins...by a large margin...offense puts up yards...sometimes points...Joel Osteen quotes to follow... :snore: :snore: :snore:
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 21, 2013, 04:48:42 PM
Quote from: covufan on October 21, 2013, 01:46:57 PMUnless something drastic happens before or during the game, I'm going with Drake, in a score of 41 - 10. The end is near...
What end is near?

I think somebody is optimistically hoping that Carlson is released from his duties. I think it's unlikely and just wishful thinking. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I would be surprised if it happened.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

usc4valpo

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 22, 2013, 10:08:50 AM
What end is near?
I think somebody is optimistically hoping that Carlson is released from his duties. I think it's unlikely and just wishful thinking. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I would be surprised if it happened.
Sadly, I agree, I do not think MLB and the admistration with not have the guts or agreement to make a change. 

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 21, 2013, 04:32:18 PM
Quote from: covufan on October 21, 2013, 12:49:30 PMOUCH!

I could have gotten the math wrong.  I was just operating on the ratio

31:14::56:3::36:34, reaching 1488 to 34.

That would be 212 TDs (and two safeties), or 53 TD per quarter, or 4.53 TD per minute, or a TD every 13.25 seconds.

So maybe the Transitive Rule of Football doesn't quite apply here.
Your math is correct.  Instead of ratios, I used the difference: Jewell beat us by two, add 53 that UIndy beat them, add 17 that Drake beat UIndy to come up with 72 points that Drake could/should beat us by. 

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 22, 2013, 12:18:13 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on October 22, 2013, 10:08:50 AM
What end is near?
Sadly, I agree, I do not think MLB and the admistration with not have the guts or agreement to make a change. 
I was thinking of several ends...

The end of an era...

The end of the season...

The end of waiting for basketball season...    Football, at least at Valpo, is just a season before basketball commences.  Once basketball starts, there will be little football discussion until we get some news.

usc4valpo

Drake 48, Valpo 14 in beautiful Des Moines.

At least the BBQ at Jethro's across the street will taste good after the game...

historyman

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 22, 2013, 10:04:59 AMI really have to wonder why we still bother with predictions.  ??? :crazy: The only team they can beat is Campbell, and as I've said repeatedly (fill in misc. team), is not Campbell. I am still all for stealing the uniforms and replacing them with Campbell jerseys as somebody suggested. I'll predict...Drake wins...by a large margin...offense puts up yards...sometimes points...Joel Osteen quotes to follow... :snore: :snore: :snore:

I only did the predictions for the same reason I have always have done them. To see if I can come closer to the actual result than the other prognosticators on these threads.

Did you think the predictions helped Valpo in some way?

You are free to stop following Valpo football and stop the predictions if you truly feel that way.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

It's really sad to see over the past three seasons how a group of generally positive Valpo fans, myself included, have lost so much in the way of a positive attitude toward the progress (actually lack thereof) of our football program.  We're getting good kids, there have been cosmetic improvements (uniforms, some field decoration, office renovation - and whatever), and the OOC schedule has been generally upgraded.  We should be getting more and more excited about Valpo's prospects, but unfortunately, emotionally we are pretty much all sliding in the opposite direction.  This year there were 4 beatable teams on the schedule (and a 5th, Mercer - a first year program).  We found a variety of ways to lose all but 1.

Ahead lies:  Drake (A), USD (H), Butler PFL #1 (A) and Dayton PFL #2 (H).
Aggregated W-L record: 18-11

So, what if we beat St. Joe's and WJU and Campbell going into the rest of our schedule?  Maybe we would have had the confidence to win over Mercer and Morehead.  5 wins going into the last 4 games -- we cuddah been a contendah.  It all goes back to those first two D-II losses - IMO.  And we were not ready. There appeared to be no focused intensity.  There was no urgency.  The play was too casual. We did't have the credentials to play that way.  And I do not blame the kids. At this level, the leadership emmantes from the top.

My final word on the subject:  A FB program in distress has to first create a tough character, a desire to be competitive every play.  That is embodied by a defense that may not be super skilled but plays intensely.  How do you turn around a program that has lost and lost, with a finesse offense that depends on highly skilled players (but in limited quantity) and a defense treated as a necessary afterthought?

Lets look at Mercer's model. Start with a tough defense and a grind-it-out, running-dominant O.  Result: 6-1  Duh!   :banghead:

usc4valpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 22, 2013, 03:41:00 PMIt's really sad to see over the past three seasons how a group of generally positive Valpo fans, myself included, have lost so much in the way of a positive attitude toward the progress (actually lack thereof) of our football program. We're getting good kids, there have been cosmetic improvements (uniforms, some field decoration, office renovation - and whatever), and the OOC schedule has been generally upgraded. We should be getting more and more excited about Valpo's prospects, but unfortunately, emotionally we are pretty much all sliding in the opposite direction. This year there were 4 beatable teams on the schedule (and a 5th, Mercer - a first year program). We found a variety of ways to lose all but 1. Ahead lies: Drake (A), USD (H), Butler PFL #1 (A) and Dayton PFL #2(H). Aggregated W-L record: 18-11 So, what if we beat St. Joe's and WJU and Campbell going into the rest of our schedule? Maybe we would have had the confidence to win over Mercer and Morehead. 5 wins going into the last 4 games -- we cuddah been a contendah. It all goes back to those first two D-II losses - IMO. And we were not ready. There appeared to be no focused intensity. There is no urgency. The play is too casual. We don't have the credentials to play that way. And I do not blame the kids. At this level the leadership emmantes from teh top.
62, you are a dedicated fan with a lot of stake and interest in this team, and you have my respect.  I feel bad the university is letting you, the fans on this board, the players and their parents down.  The frustration for me is that the university does not care about this and not taking any actions to improve the situation.  This leadership performance is unacceptable.  What concerns me is the don't care, all is going fine attitude.  I want to see actions from the administration to attempt to resolve this sad, embarrassing situation. 

milanmiracle

Quote from: historyman on October 22, 2013, 02:25:34 PM
You are free to stop following Valpo football and stop the predictions if you truly feel that way.

Well, that was taken the wrong way entirely. I like the predictions :thumbsup: I just wish we could all predict something other than a loss once in a while and not feel crazy doing so. Statistically there's something like a 10% chance they win being 3 and whatever under Joel Osteen.

usc4valpo

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 22, 2013, 09:29:59 PM
Quote from: historyman on October 22, 2013, 02:25:34 PMYou are free to stop following Valpo football and stop the predictions if you truly feel that way.
Well, that was taken the wrong way entirely. I like the predictions :thumbsup: I just wish we could all predict something other than a loss once in a while and not feel crazy doing so. Statistically there's something like a 10% chance they win being 3 and whatever under Joel Osteen.
perhaps the sensitometer was up a little bit.

bbtds

I have to agree with historyman.

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 22, 2013, 10:04:59 AM
I really have to wonder why we still bother with predictions.  ???  :crazy:

doesn't sound at all like

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 22, 2013, 09:29:59 PMI like the predictions  I just wish we could all predict something other than a loss

The two statements don't really go together or sound the same. People can only guess what you mean by what you say (type).

milanmiracle

Quote from: bbtds on October 23, 2013, 02:08:50 AM
I have to agree with historyman.

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 22, 2013, 10:04:59 AM
I really have to wonder why we still bother with predictions.  ???  :crazy:

doesn't sound at all like

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 22, 2013, 09:29:59 PMI like the predictions  I just wish we could all predict something other than a loss

The two statements don't really go together or sound the same. People can only guess what you mean by what you say (type).

Actually I think they do but that's okay. Interpreting intention on the interwebs can be difficult. Apparently everybody missed the part about stealing Campbell jerseys right after that...I am sure I was VERY serious about that. Yea, um, sure.

The gist of it is this...predicting anything other than a loss is just silly. We still do it and it's fun, but it's silly. Why? Because track record says so. Kind of like predicting the Cubs to win the world series every year. They haven't done it in over 100 years, so why would anybody who's reasonable think otherwise. Because we're fans, maybe we're delusional fans, but none the less fans.

People on here take stuff WAY to seriously... :whiteflag: (not pointing fingers at any specific individuals either)