• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Drake

Started by VULB#62, October 21, 2013, 10:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

While it is futile predicting teh final score, it still is sorta challenging to see how close we can come to the final score.  Problem is that it is not fun anymore.

usc4valpo

Predicting scores is fun - heck, I was mad I was not the winner last week.

Sure the team is awful, but you need to lighten up about this and face reality.

"The blues is losing someone you love and not having enough money to immerse yourself in drink." 
     - Henry Rollins

talksalot

OK...  Valpo 28, Drake 24....

Volleyball beats UIC for their 20th win of the season

MBall beats the Chargers by 28

who says I'm a Homer?!

VUdad

My prediction: Valpo 21
(It's the other score that's so hard to guess)

historyman

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 22, 2013, 09:29:59 PM
Quote from: historyman on October 22, 2013, 02:25:34 PMYou are free to stop following Valpo football and stop the predictions if you truly feel that way.
Well, that was taken the wrong way entirely. I like the predictions :thumbsup: I just wish we could all predict something other than a loss once in a while and not feel crazy doing so. Statistically there's something like a 10% chance they win being 3 and whatever under Joel Osteen.
I apologize if I misinterpreted what you were trying to say.

In the past I feel you have been pretty serious about the negative outcomes of Valpo teams. I didn't see you as someone who kids around about how bad Valpo football has become. It seemed you were suddenly attacking the prediction competition that we have for each Valpo football game (and during the basketball season men's basketball games). I really enjoy those "competitions" to see who can come closest because I like to be a competitor and would enjoy being the closest to the actual score some day. I enjoy the prediction competitions whether they're for a Valpo football team that might lose every game of the season or a men's basketball team that wins a lot. I don't "feel crazy" predicting a Valpo football loss each week because that is just being realistic. If Valpo football is too depressing to predict then we can switch to Valpo volleyball or men's soccer which are sports where Valpo wins more often. I feel the Valpo football games are the games the posters on this board are paying more attention to this time of year and that makes it more enjoyable to predict the outcomes of these games because we have more knowledge about these games.

Obviously I was wrong in thinking you didn't like the prediction competitions and again I apologize for that.

To me Valpo's negative results should have nothing to do with our enjoyment of competing to see who can come closest to the actual score.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Quote from: VUdad on October 23, 2013, 09:06:24 PM
My prediction: Valpo 21
(It's the other score that's so hard to guess)

That's funny   :lol:

usc4valpo

Drake's head football coach is giving our beloved Crusader some love in this upcoming game

http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15700&ATCLID=209289743

We were complimented as being a good team and so, so close (to what?)

vu72

It really says a lot about our problems when you consider the overall record against Drake or other PFL teams. Drake holds a 17-3 record against us and I think Morehead State is about the same, maybe 16-3.  The battle for the "Hoosier Helmut" is a joke as we've one once in what, seven tries?  17-3 with Drake winning the last 9 says that this isn't just a Dale Carlson problem as it is just unfair to him to indicate that he hasn't fixed the problem in four years.  Sure, things haven't gotten better, and possibly worse, but winning three times in 20 years against a school with very similar characteristics is just sad and indicative of a much greater, deeper problem.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

72, I tend to disagree.  When someone comes in with the intention to fix the problem, they need to be held accountable. Carlson came in with an understanding of the problem and his performance has certainly been unsatisfactory.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 24, 2013, 10:29:14 AM
72, I tend to disagree.  When someone comes in with the intention to fix the problem, they need to be held accountable. Carlson came in with an understanding of the problem and his performance has certainly been unsatisfactory.

We don't disagree.  Carlson should be held accountable.  My point is only that the problem is very deep seeded, like 20-30 years deep.  I think the turnaround guy theory doesn't work.  We need a guy who can win and inspire and recruit.  We don't have that now.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

ok, I agree it is certainly a bigger problem than Carlson.

milanmiracle

I'll agree with everybody else...this is a MUCH bigger problem than Carlson. While he is certainly to blame for much of what is going on, he's not the only person, or should I say persons. The commitment to football just hasn't been there and after years of neglect, we see the results.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on October 24, 2013, 09:59:51 AMThe battle for the "Hoosier Helmut"
We've been left out in the kohl too often in THAT matchup.

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 23, 2013, 01:30:27 PMPeople on here take stuff WAY to seriously...
obviously he doesn't mean everyone...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Since 1973, when Amundsen completed a stretch of 5 winning seasons, we've only had six eight winning seasons.  That is correct - only six eight winning seasons in 40 years!  Horne did have a stretch of 3 non-losing seasons in '93-95, and three other winning seasons.  To Horne's credit, after his first three seasons he was nearly 0.500.  The problem is much bigger than just one coach. 

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/pioneer/valparaiso/yearly_totals.php

Edit: My math was incorrect.  It is actually eight winning seasons.  I was looking at consecutive winning seasons, and only counted those six in the last 40 seasons. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Thanks for reminding me of that site.

(that one) Lady and gentlemen, the worst teams in VU history.

1)  Criterion one:  WINLESS.  obviously you cannot be the worst if you won a game.
2)  Criterion two:  rate of points to opponent points, as a manner of how much you were outscored while offering correction for differences in eras (and number of games).

...spastic drumroll sound please...

4)  1989
Tom Horne's first year saw 0 and 10 (a slight decrease, but we'll get to that later), and being outscored 431 to 100 for a percent of 23.2%.  Bonus points for the first time VU ever had lost double-digit games.

3)  2010
Dale Carlos Teen's first year joelted off with 0 and 11, a still-unmatched record for most losses in a season.  Plus we got railed 514 to 100 (there's that number again) for a percent of 19.46%. 

EXCURSUS: if motivational quotes worked, then explain his results?...& thus, if they don't work, then why bother? discuss.

2)  1941
Oh, sure, blame the war for the fact that we went winless for the first time in VU history, in coach Victor Dauer's first (and only) year.  Well, guess what, history major?  We hadn't entered the war yet duh.  We managed just 33 points and gave up 170 for a percent of 19.41%...which, is weird.  So...by my math, it took us 69 years to improve 0.05% [insert Bush-Obama economy joke here]!

BONUS POINT: For all y'all hankerin' fer a coaching change (sorry posting from 'Bama this week), please note that all three of these so far have been first year hires...

cymbalsplash.gif

1) 1988--0-9 & 1, 76 PF, 452 PA
What? you say?  Inconceivable!  Bill Koch's last year saw a tie!  Well, that's still winless, Wallace Shawn.

And getting outscored that bad leaves a percentage of just 16.81%, or losing EVERY GAME 45-7.

I feel that you should now reread this entire post in a Rod Serling or Vincent Price voice over.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

MORE INTERESTING FACTS MORE INTERESTING

--Although we think of our football program as a napalmed tire fire threatening to engulf the Cute Kitten Orphanage (what? ok maybe it's just me), there are some good things.

--It wasn't until our 7th season (1925) that we had a losing year.  (Again, under a first-year coach.)

--It wasn't until our 9th season (1927) that we fell under .500 as a program.

First ineptness period:  1925 to 1929 saw five years (under four different coaches) of just one win each year.

--And then in our 14th season (1932) we went undefeated for the first time and crawled back above .500.

--The JM Christiansen era also saw us fall back under again, in our 21st season (1939).

--Em Bauer nosed us back up again, but it took until 1952, our 34th season, and second undefeated one.  (see, good things happen when you go undefeated).

First golden period:  from 1949 to 1959, VU was over .500 for 11 straight years, and 13 of 16 from 1949 to 1964.

--And it wasn't until 1988, our 70th season (!), and second winless one, that we finally went under again!  (see, bad things happen when you go winless).

--That underscores and introduces our current period of ineptness, because as a program in 85 seasons of play, we are 368-465 (and 25 ties), or NINETY-SEVEN GAMES UNDER .500, all of which were earned after Ronald Reagan left office.  Coincidence?  You decide.

--39 seasons above .500, 6 seasons at .500, 40 seasons below .500.  Basically, we're .500 at being .500.

usc4valpo

http://www.iowabeefsteakhouse.com

http://jethrosdesmoines.com

http://www.zombieburgerdm.com/  (on the east side of town)

http://tumeaandsons.net/

I recommend these places if you are coming out to Des Moines...

FOr your dining pleasure after going to the game

historyman

And now the all important prediction

UIC        22....25....18
Valpo     25....27....25      Valpo wins 3-0

okay, I'll throw in a football prediction too

Valpo      14
Drake      56
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 24, 2013, 09:52:35 PM1) 1988--0-9 & 1, 76 PF, 452 PA
What? you say?  Inconceivable!  Bill Koch's last year saw a tie!  Well, that's still winless, Wallace Shawn.
If a tie is like kissing your sister, what is a 0-0 tie?  Yes, that tie from Koch's last year was 0 to 0.  That year also brought us the "Lonesome Polecat"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on October 25, 2013, 01:50:03 PMIf a tie is like kissing your sister, what is a 0-0 tie?
twin sister

usc4valpo

Cookie was an offensive minded genius, and I cannot be more sarcastic on that statement.  However, he was a gentleman and a very nice person.  Not a good coach though.  I would take Cookie over Carlson - at least Cookie tried to make changes with what he had.

milanmiracle

And I will predict the actual score

Drake 49 Valpo 21
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

VULB#62

With 5:10 left in Q1 Drake get's its first score -- now &-).  VU were able to halt Drake's first drive on a 4th & 1 stand on the VU 10. Then went 3 and out (a 2 yard run and two INCs). I suspect no one honors our run game so QB pressure and 5 deep pretty much will be what we'll be seeing all afternoon.

VULB#62

Valpo responding.  Driving with  some loger passes (29 and 18) to the 19.  Penalty and -2 rush. 2&17 on the DU 26.  38 yd FG from Newman!  A kicking game is emerging?

rink

We're up 10-7 in the 4th?  What in blazes...?