• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. San Diego

Started by setshot, October 26, 2013, 04:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

After San Diego's big win over Butler, I expect they(SD) will be over confident about flying into Valpo and facing the mighty Crusaders. So, I predict that SD will only beat Valpo by 4 touchdowns. SHIELDS UP!  ???

valpotx

Better showing by our defense today.  We will still lose this one:

Valpo 20
San Diego 35
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUdad

3 of 14 third down conversions against Morehead St.
2 of 15 against Drake.
Valpo 14
San Diego 42

VULB#62

My abridged quote from the Drake String:

....Ahead lies:  Drake (A), USD (H), Butler PFL #1 (A) and Dayton PFL #2 (H).
Aggregated W-L record: 18-11

So, what if we had beaten St. Joe's and WJU and Campbell going into the rest of our schedule?  Maybe we would have had the confidence to win over Mercer and Morehead. 5 wins going into the last  4 games --

This morning I recalled that we once in the DC era played Drake nose to nose and barely lost (I looked it up -- 2010 - Homecoming: Drake 21- Valpo 19). (BTW -- that was mainly with Stacy's kids). We had previously lost to WIU (MVFC) by 45-0 (the best result against FCS schools in the DC era) as well as others.  I thought I should predict a close loss this year just for grins.  Nah. Too much other stuff to do at the house.  My bad.  I would have won the office pool (if there was one).

Getting back to my earlier quote.  What if.......   What if there were a couple of early wins against D-II schools?  Would those wins have helped us NOT fumble away a 4th quarter lead?  Would those wins have caused our QB to say in his mind "let's step on their throat"  instead of "what's gonna go wrong now"?  Would those wins have caused our secondary to think "please throw in my coverage area - I want a pic" instead of "please don't throw over here, I'm scared he'll run past me."  I could go on and on. 

The table was set for a good season (by Valpo standards). UND aside, the schedule was a perfect ramp up to the big boys in the league.  We could have been 5-2 (I have too much respect for Marist to even think of a win there) going into Drake and then come away with a close win instead of a close loss.  Ah, lost opportunities -- we're good at that.

So, back in 2010.  The next week after that heartbreaker (but a validation of their toughness) the 2010 team lost to Dayton 48-14.

48-14 -- USD.  That's my pick for this week.

usc4valpo

bbtds

San Diego  39
Valpo        17

talksalot

Temperatures will not be SD-Like...   Will it be windy?  With the Kicker's return this weekend?  and (Laugh-In-HISTORIANS)... What about Naomi?

SD 31
good guys    14

usc4valpo

I am changing my prediction...the game starts at noon and the Fish Taco Express have a 2 hr jet lag, not to mention chillier weather rather than hanging around the surf...

USD 35
Valpo 13

Darth_Sader08

New to the blog but wanted to get my pick in....

Crusaders-15
San Diego- 37

Good luck saders

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

Shields Up Baby!

Where did this "Shields Up" slogan come from?

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

usc4valpo

bbtds, that was pure genius.

In Sagarin, San Diego is the rate Pioneer Conference team at 188.   Valpo is at a robust 249.  Based on their rating points, the Fish Taco express should be about a 27 point favorite.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

valpotx

Haha, awesome, I couldn't have asked for a better response  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

again, when did they start saying this "Shields Up" slogan?  Are we are trying to shield ourselves of bird droppings from above?

valpotx

Maybe it has to do with trying to implore more of a defensive mentality from the players, since our mentality over the last few years has been to let our 'shields down,' and let them run by us?  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 29, 2013, 03:51:19 PM
again, when did they start saying this "Shields Up" slogan?  Are we are trying to shield ourselves of bird droppings from above?
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't our Osteen quoting head coach just simply referring to the prop used by the Crusader mascot, which is a shield?

I have no idea of the timing of when this phrase became popular.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

I'm with H-man.  Back in the distant dark past when armies fought with swords and spears, I would think that a basic command to prepare for battle would be "shields up."  Probably would never have been spoken then, but maybe in some obscure movie now.

I was a history major and my advisor was Dr. Willis Boyd. I was deeply saddened when he passed away.  Great lecturer and was the reason I chose that as a major.  Well, that's not totally true.  I was originally pre-dent, but organic chemistry killed me.

Now I am an IT Project Manager.  Who wuddah thunk?

talksalot

OK VULB62... I was a Journalism and Poli Sci Major with a History minor... and now I"m an IT Project Manager...after 14 years in banking. ... go figure.

valpotx

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 29, 2013, 09:14:10 PM
I'm with H-man.  Back in the distant dark past when armies fought with swords and spears, I would think that a basic command to prepare for battle would be "shields up."  Probably would never have been spoken then, but maybe in some obscure movie now.

I was a history major and my advisor was Dr. Willis Boyd. I was deeply saddened when he passed away.  Great lecturer and was the reason I chose that as a major.  Well, that's not totally true.  I was originally pre-dent, but organic chemistry killed me.

Now I am an IT Project Manager.  Who wuddah thunk?

Haha, Organic Chemistry killed my dream of pre-med, which would have led to being a physical therapist.  That is probably why they make you take it so early in those programs, to weed out people like us  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

willy

Quote from: VUdad on October 26, 2013, 04:52:48 PM3 of 14 third down conversions against Morehead St. 2 of 15 against Drake. Valpo 14 San Diego 42
183 yards of offense, 2 of 15 third down conversions, throwing third down completions well short of the first down marker every week, four yards rushing, equals no chance.  San Diego 42 Valpo 17.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 28, 2013, 10:04:53 PMWhere did this "Shields Up" slogan come from?
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 29, 2013, 03:51:19 PMagain, when did they start saying this "Shields Up" slogan?  Are we are trying to shield ourselves of bird droppings from above?
Quote from: valpotx on October 29, 2013, 04:16:08 PMMaybe it has to do with trying to implore more of a defensive mentality from the players, since our mentality over the last few years has been to let our 'shields down,' and let them run by us? 
Quote from: historyman on October 29, 2013, 07:56:26 PMQuote from: usc4valpo on October 29, 2013, 03:51:19 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't our Osteen quoting head coach just simply referring to the prop used by the Crusader mascot, which is a shield?

I have no idea of the timing of when this phrase became popular.
Quote from: VULB#62 on October 29, 2013, 09:14:10 PMI'm with H-man.  Back in the distant dark past when armies fought with swords and spears, I would think that a basic command to prepare for battle would be "shields up."  Probably would never have been spoken then, but maybe in some obscure movie now.
My guess is that Setshot reads the Coach Carlson blog:

http://blogs.valpo.edu/football/

and that Setshot was making light of Carlson's signature.