• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. San Diego

Started by setshot, October 26, 2013, 04:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

willy

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 02, 2013, 06:10:25 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 02, 2013, 01:18:01 PM
Valpo down 23-7 at half.  After a blocked FG, they had the ball on their 20 with 2 1/2 minutes left, and ran it.  They got a first down with 50 sec at their 37, and they still ran it.   I could hear the parents yelling at Carlson on the sidelines.  I have a feeling very few students are attending this).

Sounded strange but that is what appears to have happened. It is even worse than that, we actually took a timeout with time for the last play and then ran again. Here is another classic, after the punt block safety we actually kicked off (no one at any level kicks after a safety). We kicked off out of bounds. You can't make these things up.
That wasn't the worst  timeout we took.  The most ridiculous timeout was when we took a timeout on offense before we even ran a play!  We ran out there looked at their defense and had to use a timeout?  I guess San Diego had us confused?

usc4valpo

I have to wonder what the reaction was at the game.  Also, what is the current reaction on campus?  Regarding the students, I am guessing they could care less.  But after being at the Drake game, and hearing the crowd over the internet this past Saturday, there has to be some grumbling.  I know San Diego is a decent team, but these guys have to quit stabbing themselves in the foot.

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 03, 2013, 07:46:15 PMI have to wonder what the reaction was at the game.  Also, what is the current reaction on campus?  Regarding the students, I am guessing they could care less.  But after being at the Drake game, and hearing the crowd over the internet this past Saturday, there has to be some grumbling.  I know San Diego is a decent team, but these guys have to quit stabbing themselves in the foot.
I was at the game and I know what my reaction was and I don't think I should repeat it here. Suffice it to say that there is no winning if you don't even give your team a chance to try and score. Valpo football is trying not to look bad losing instead of trying to win. Those are decisions made by the head coach. He needs to go after the last two games of the season.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

milanmiracle

Quote from: historyman on November 03, 2013, 09:13:06 PMValpo football is trying not to look bad losing instead of trying to win. Those are decisions made by the head coach. He needs to go after the last two games of the season.

I agree. I do however find it a little funny that he didn't give two rips about the margin of defeat for the first two years, but now it matters how the team looks? I wonder why WIN (what's important now) became a slogan this year, and not the prior years? Hmm...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

usc4valpo

Perhaps their shields were defective when they were raised.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 05, 2013, 04:54:24 PM

:lol:OK I laughed at this.  I'm thinking setshot did as well!
:thumbsup:

usc4valpo

Were they 6 sigma manufactured with proper tooling?

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 05, 2013, 05:01:43 PM
Were they 6 sigma manufactured with proper tooling?
Most likely NOT ISO 9000 certified!

usc4valpo

maybe with the offense Carlson can carry out a design of experiments

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 05, 2013, 06:07:19 PM
maybe with the offense Carlson can carry out a design of experiments
Taguchi Methods!

historyman

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 05, 2013, 03:39:48 PM
Quote from: historyman on November 03, 2013, 09:13:06 PMValpo football is trying not to look bad losing instead of trying to win. Those are decisions made by the head coach. He needs to go after the last two games of the season.
I agree. I do however find it a little funny that he didn't give two rips about the margin of defeat for the first two years, but now it matters how the team looks? I wonder why WIN (what's important now) became a slogan this year, and not the prior years? Hmm...

I believe he was basically told by the AD "don't embarrass the alumni any more by losing big." So this is his solution for keeping his job which is not to lose big.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

usc4valpo

Quote from: covufan on November 05, 2013, 06:28:04 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 05, 2013, 06:07:19 PMmaybe with the offense Carlson can carry out a design of experiments
Taguchi Methods!
I tell the tool we really need - a house of quality!

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 05, 2013, 07:49:14 PMis 58-14 not losing big?
I didn't say he was successful at not losing big. I guessed he was told not to lose big from the ultra-conservative approach Carlson has taken at the end of halves. Which means he hasn't been successful at not losing big either. Pitiful

milanmiracle

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 05, 2013, 04:54:24 PM

Now THAT'S funny. Laughing out loud, and not in the internet lol kind of way.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

yeah, seems that somewhere along the line it got misheard and after the USD game someone reported back and said, "aye, aye, coach, the shields have all been razed now"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

SAN DIEGO (AP) — The University of San Diego pulled itself out of the running for the Pioneer Football League championship and an FCS automatic playoff berth after uncovering potential financial aid violations.

The Toreros (7-3, 6-1) were in position to clinch the league title and their first FCS playoff berth if they beat Drake on Saturday.

Athletic director Ky Snyder said notifying the team of the school's decision before practice Thursday was "the most horrible thing I've had to do with kids. It was a very hard conversation."

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/usd-self-sanctions-football-team

LaPorteAveApostle

kudos to them for doing the right (hard) thing.  hard to say who even would have noticed at this level!

...does this mean that Dale might end up 4-39 instead of 3-40? 
will this be enough for him to get rehired? </sarcasm>

bbtds

WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO NCAA PLAYOFF BERTH!!!!??

bbtds

I was so ready for football playoffs and now what? ? ?

bbtds

Just because the players got a tiny, little bit of cash for paying tuition?

bbtds

valpotx

If they committed this violation, I assume that they would have to forfeit all games that the player(s) were involved in.  We may very well end up with a 2 win season!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on November 15, 2013, 11:22:39 AM
If they committed this violation, I assume that they would have to forfeit all games that the player(s) were involved in.  We may very well end up with a 2 win season!

You obviously mean 3 win season.