• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Opponents' Schedule & Results 2013-14

Started by bbtds, October 28, 2013, 07:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizz

Hey 2014....Oakland played the hardest non-league schedule...right???? After it Bader leads the league in 3 catagories and the nation in 1. The last 4 games ( 3 really good mid-majors) without  high major 6-8 athletes hanging all over him he goes 28 for 46 from the 3. He's shooting 43% from the 3.  Now I know he would only average 10 points a game if he played for Valpo, but you REALLY don't think he is one of the top 5 players in the Horizon.

I know I have to let this go. I have to let go, I have to let go.....................

LaPorteAveApostle

It might well be a case of "the Beatles are the greatest band of all time".  I don't really agree, but it's hard to make a convincing case otherwise.

Clearly some players have been doing some remarkable things, but rather than posit my own 5, does anyone know whether the conference team is chosen expressly based on conference play, or over the course of the whole year?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

zvillehaze

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 28, 2013, 10:32:39 AM
It might well be a case of "the Beatles are the greatest band of all time".  I don't really agree, but it's hard to make a convincing case otherwise.

Clearly some players have been doing some remarkable things, but rather than posit my own 5, does anyone know whether the conference team is chosen expressly based on conference play, or over the course of the whole year?

I'm not sure if the league gives any instructions with the ballot, but chef (and maybe pgmado?) has stated in the past that he votes based upon performance in league games only.  Maybe they can share whether that is the directive given by the league office or just the approach they take.

valpotx

UIC was beating Illinois by 10 at halftime at the United Center, only to quickly lose the lead early in the second half, losing by 14 or so.  I only watched the second half, but apparently Barlow was dominating in the first half, and was awful in the second half.

Loyola Marymount beat BYU at home in the first game of WCC action for them, a good win.
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on December 29, 2013, 12:13:25 AM
UIC was beating Illinois by 10 at halftime at the United Center, only to quickly lose the lead early in the second half, losing by 14 or so.  I only watched the second half, but apparently Barlow was dominating in the first half, and was awful in the second half.
He was "awful" in the 2nd half because Rayvonte Rice was on him like glue the whole time.

valpotx

He was taking the same shots they showed in the first half, they just weren't falling in the second.  He made some tough shots in the first half that shouldn't have gone in...
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Oakland had a good chance to knock off GB at GB last night, if not for Bader continuing to be mired in a shooting slump.  He was 2-11 from 3 and 2-13 overall for 8 points.  He has now failed to reach double figures in 3 of his last 4 games, for which he was accumulatively an anemic 7-39 from 3 (18%) and 8-46 (17%) overall. His 0-8 3-pt. performance against Milw 4 games back was only the 2nd time he failed to score a 3-pt. FG in his last 73 games spanning 3 seasons.  His other 0-for came earlier this season against Indiana.

I know he's chasing the all-time record for made 3-pt FG's.  Maybe the pressure of that is starting to affect him?   

wh

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20140121/GPG020101/301210468/Men-s-basketball-UWGB-hopes-wins-thrills-bring-crowds?nclick_check=1

I try not to be a pedant or grammar nazi, but the subject/verb disagreement when referencing "the Phoenix" in the above article about GB attendance really grated on my nerves when I read it:

The Phoenix has lived up to the hype after being picked as the preseason favorite to win the Horizon League in October.

The Phoenix has not drawn exceptionally well for years.

Following is the rule for sports teams as noted in the Guide to Grammar and Writing:

The names of sports teams, on the other hand, are treated as plurals, regardless of the form of that name. We would write that "The Yankees have signed a new third baseman" and "The Yankees are a great organization" (even if we're Red Sox fans) and that "For two years in a row, the Utah Jazz have attempted to draft a big man." When we refer to a team by the city in which it resides, however, we use the singular, as in "Dallas has attempted to secure the services of two assistant coaches that Green Bay hopes to keep."

a3uge

Quote from: wh on January 23, 2014, 11:02:38 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20140121/GPG020101/301210468/Men-s-basketball-UWGB-hopes-wins-thrills-bring-crowds?nclick_check=1

I try not to be a pedant or grammar nazi, but the subject/verb disagreement when referencing "the Phoenix" in the above article about GB attendance really grated on my nerves when I read it:

The Phoenix has lived up to the hype after being picked as the preseason favorite to win the Horizon League in October.

Following is the rule for sports teams as noted in the Guide to Grammar and Writing:

The names of sports teams, on the other hand, are treated as plurals, regardless of the form of that name. We would write that "The Yankees have signed a new third baseman" and "The Yankees are a great organization" (even if we're Red Sox fans) and that "For two years in a row, the Utah Jazz have attempted to draft a big man." When we refer to a team by the city in which it resides, however, we use the singular, as in "Dallas has attempted to secure the services of two assistant coaches that Green Bay hopes to keep."

More troubling than the grammar is the content. They drew 2569 against Oakland last night.

There was a Resch Center-record crowd of 9,906 for a showdown against Wisconsin in November and another 6,491 for Virginia in December.

The other seven home dates [sic] have drawn an average of 2,261.

That's insane with how well they're doing, but it's not all that surprising. They'll bring crowds in once they host the tournament, but commuter schools rarely bring large crowds for regular season games. UWM is one of the worst offenders - they have a student population of 30,502 and a metro area of 1,566,981, so you'd think they'd be able to get more people at their games, or at least, more than a couple students for their student section (literally).

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on January 23, 2014, 11:02:38 AM

My impression is that there is a mandate up there to break these basic grammar rules.  I can still remember Mark Lazerus writing adamantly in his column and saying adamantly on press row when I used to say hi to him, "I refuse to treat Phoenix as singular when it's the nickname of a team, I don't care what they say up there."  It'd be interesting to hunt down their media guide and see if that is the culprit.

I'm right there with ya, by the way.

wh

Oakland buzzer beater over UIC yesterday.  Great finish for the Golden Grizzlies, a heartbreaker for the Flames:

Duke Mondy Buzzer Beater vs UIC

classof2014

My respect for Oakland went down quite a bit more after that game. UIC is winless in the HL and 5-16 overall. Oakland nearly lost to them, what the hell are you storming the court for? If UIC was ranked, made it deep in the tourney last year, if you're a winless team, or a DII beating a DI (don't know why it'd be a home game for a DII) then if you win that's a time you can storm the court.

Congratulations, you probably should've lost to the worst team in the league.

LaPorteAveApostle

Eh, it's Oakland.  They don't have many more than 5 wins themselves.

Never know when they'll win another!  As the famous epigrammatic poet Ricardus Vitalus once said, "CARPE DIEM, BABY!!!"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: classof2014 on January 26, 2014, 09:21:05 AM
My respect for Oakland went down quite a bit more after that game. UIC is winless in the HL and 5-16 overall. Oakland nearly lost to them, what the hell are you storming the court for? If UIC was ranked, made it deep in the tourney last year, if you're a winless team, or a DII beating a DI (don't know why it'd be a home game for a DII) then if you win that's a time you can storm the court.

Congratulations, you probably should've lost to the worst team in the league.
I wouldn't be quite so hard on them for storming the court.  First, it was their homecoming game and was full of suspense where they trailing most of the game.  To win on a buzzer beater would naturally lead to an emotional outpouring, not base on rankings.  Can you imagine a bunch of college kids (and youthful alumni) calculating the effect of storming versus not storming? Your expectations are way to analytical versus the emotion involved..
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Hmmm  Wright St with a loss at UWM 68-64. Didn't expect that. Did anybody watch?

HC

I saw the 2nd half. Milwaukee had a 20 point lead in the second half and did everything they could to blow it. Glad they held on!

oklahomamick

For Friday's pair of games, we need Detroit to beat Cleveland St and Oakland beat Youngstown.  If Cleveland St loses we jump to 2nd.  If Oakland wins, both Oakland and Youngstown move to 4-4. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 31, 2014, 07:34:34 AM
For Friday's pair of games, we need Detroit to beat Cleveland St and Oakland beat Youngstown.  If Cleveland St loses we jump to 2nd.  If Oakland wins, both Oakland and Youngstown move to 4-4. 

Note: we are in second right now, and if we split the season series, we are in a good place for that coveted 2-seed with the double bye. If split, the tiebreaker goes to the best record of the highest seed, all the way down to UIC at the bottom. This is of course, very premature, so it's safe to say we're tied for 2nd in the standings.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on January 31, 2014, 07:57:05 AMthe tiebreaker goes to the best record of the highest seed
?  Please elucidate.

Quote from: HC on January 31, 2014, 07:02:11 AMMilwaukee had a 20 point lead in the second half and did everything they could to blow it.
HC, reminiscent of http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1134.msg24222#msg24222 a little? :)  (or their last year game AT WSU)...

(HC read up in that thread for your exchange with BigDWSU : )

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 31, 2014, 10:17:12 AM
Quote from: a3uge on January 31, 2014, 07:57:05 AMthe tiebreaker goes to the best record of the highest seed
?  Please elucidate.

Substitute "against" for "of" and reread the entire sentence.  How's that for pithy elucidation?

LaPorteAveApostle

Very nicely done, thank you.  Even Martial would be proud!

a3uge

Quote from: wh on January 31, 2014, 10:49:55 AM
?  Please elucidate.

Substitute "against" for "of" and reread.

Thanks. Yeah so like hypothetically (ignore wins adding up)

1. GB 14-2
2. Valpo 12-4
3. CSU 12-4
4. YSU 10-6
5. WSU 8-6
6. UWM 8-6
7. Oakland 8-6
Ect...

Say Valpo and CSU both went 1-1 against GB, it would go to each team's record against the next highest seed, YSU. If Valpo goes 2-0 and CSU 1-1 against YSU, Valpo is awarded tie breaker.

If there's a three way (or more) tie, like with the 5-7 seeds above, the records against teams involved in the tie are added up... So say UWM was 1-1 against WSU and 1-1 against Oakland... That record combines to 2-2. WSU beats Oakland twice and splits Milwaukee: 3-1. Oakland combines to 0-4 because they never beat UWM or WSU. So they're seed 7.

But what if the record of three teams is 2-2 in the 3 way tie? Then it goes to the best records against the top seeds. This happened to valpo, CSU, uwm in 2010. Valpo (eventual #6 seed) had an 0-2 record against #2 WSU while Uwm and CSU split WSU. You had to go all the way down to CSU's 0-2 record against #7 Detroit to resolve that tie. If by some miracle that formula still doesn't work, it goes by RPI.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kyle321n

Quote from: a3uge on January 31, 2014, 11:54:51 AM
Quote from: wh on January 31, 2014, 10:49:55 AM
?  Please elucidate.

Substitute "against" for "of" and reread.

Thanks. Yeah so like hypothetically (ignore wins adding up)

1. GB 14-2
2. Valpo 12-4
3. CSU 12-4
4. YSU 10-6
5. WSU 8-6
6. UWM 8-6
7. Oakland 8-6
Ect...

Say Valpo and CSU both went 1-1 against GB, it would go to each team's record against the next highest seed, YSU. If Valpo goes 2-0 and CSU 1-1 against YSU, Valpo is awarded tie breaker.

If there's a three way (or more) tie, like with the 5-7 seeds above, the records against teams involved in the tie are added up... So say UWM was 1-1 against WSU and 1-1 against Oakland... That record combines to 2-2. WSU beats Oakland twice and splits Milwaukee: 3-1. Oakland combines to 0-4 because they never beat UWM or WSU. So they're seed 7.

But what if the record of three teams is 2-2 in the 3 way tie? Then it goes to the best records against the top seeds. This happened to valpo, CSU, uwm in 2010. Valpo (eventual #6 seed) had an 0-2 record against #2 WSU while Uwm and CSU split WSU. You had to go all the way down to CSU's 0-2 record against #7 Detroit to resolve that tie. If by some miracle that formula still doesn't work, it goes by RPI.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

HC

LAA, I don't think me and the d see eye to eye on much of anything.  :-X

LaPorteAveApostle

I know, that's why it was so funny.

For those who didn't click through:

after someone relates that WSU snatched conference victory #1 from Panther jaws

HC:  Too bad, I don't care for WSU.

BigDWSU:  :-*