• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Crusaders @ Butler

Started by VULB#62, November 02, 2013, 04:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

November 02, 2013
Butler 33, Dayton 30     
Campbell 19, Stetson 18     
San Diego 58, Valparaiso 14     
Mercer 51, Davidson 26     
Marist 42, Jacksonville 35     
Drake 56, Morehead State 14   

We crawled to within 37-14 then gave up 21 unanswered pts in Q4 against USD.  This week we enter Indianapolis against a team that needs to win out to share the title after beating Dayton.  As mentioned in one of the USD posts, our D is really banged up.  Not looking good for the Olde Towne Team.

And BTW, check out this week's scores.  Campbell hurdles over VU in the standings with a 1 point win over Stetson.  FCS scholarship Mercer (well, soon to be) buries Davidson.  Marist takes down a perennial contender. Drake, who we took to the wire, killed MSU, who killed us.  What a crazy, mixed-up world we live in (I must add that this was penned in dripping sarcasim lest anyone take me seriously).

Post-It Note:  it really pisses me off that Mercer is even in the league.  It is now blatantly clear that:
(1)  They fully intended to go scholarship after one year (note the friggin stadium and fieldhouse they built before the first year), but played the PFL like a fiddle.
(2)  They told every recruit they'd be vying for a FB scholarship in Year 2.
(3)  They are laughing at what they were able to accomplish.

No respect for the Bears here.

EDIT: (from the Mercer site) that supports the sentence above.
"The Bears (8-1, 4-1) win their second straight road contest and continue their unprecedented first-year run through the PFL as Davidson (0-9, 0-6) remains winless on the season. With the win, Mercer stays a half game behind the conference leaders and even in the loss column with three weeks remaining in the regular season."

IMO every ounce of PFL energy should be devoted to ensuring that Mercer is not ever mentioned in the same breath as our ligitimately competing teams;  their remaining schedule is:

Jacksonville
@ Marist
Stetson

Looking for 1-2 record out of that and good-freaking-by.

usc4valpo

I agree with you 62.  Did the PFL realize Mercer's intentions?  If so, why did allow them to join?  Mercer could have been an independent at their infancy.

Mercer has also had an easy path to get to their gaudy record - a lot of ham and eggers on their schedule.

LaPorteAveApostle

i believe they should be called "Mercernaries"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

Based on today's Sagarin ratings, Butler is a 28 1/2 favorite at Nap Town.  Butler is ranked 215 (30 spots below San Diego), Valparaiso is at 249.  Butler is also in the running for the PFL. 

I wonder what brilliant words of wsidom and hope will come from the Valpo coaching staff this week...I have to assume the players are ready to get this season mercifully over with.

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 02, 2013, 09:48:47 PMi believe they should be called "Mercernaries"

If that is the case we should hire them to play Butler in our place next Saturday.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on November 03, 2013, 09:17:46 AMIf that is the case we should hire them to play Butler in our place next Saturday.
best not to go messin' with hessians
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VUdad

Two for 11 3rd down conversions vs. San Diego--our defense spends way too much time on the field. My prediction 50-10. Butler will play hard to keep their season going.

usc4valpo

Quote from: VUdad on November 03, 2013, 07:45:42 PMTwo for 11 3rd down conversions vs. San Diego--our defense spends way too much time on the field. My prediction 50-10. Butler will play hard to keep their season going.
VUDad, you are so correct.  You can tell in the third and fourth quarter that the defense was getting tired and frustrated.  I am not sure how the players are going to react after the San Diego game. 

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

bbtds

Valpo   0
Butler  49

I don't see the use in attending this game until Valpo replaces their coach which seems inevitable.

usc4valpo

I have to wonder if something is actually happen regarding a coaching change.  I watched Ickow's preview and it sounded and felt very forced like they had to get this bogus discussion over with.  Neither showed any enthusiaism during that interview.   I am thinking they have given up this season.

IndyValpo

Quote from: bbtds on November 03, 2013, 10:58:06 PM
Valpo   0
Butler  49

I don't see the use in attending this game until Valpo replaces their coach which seems inevitable.
Now more than ever the players need some fans in the stands. I will be there on Saturday.

VULB#62

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 04, 2013, 07:09:13 PM
Valpo   0
Butler  49

Now more than ever the players need some fans in the stands. I will be there on Saturday.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 04, 2013, 07:20:57 PM
Valpo   0
Butler  49

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Add to that:   :thewave:  Go Valpo!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Valpo   0
Butler  49

I really hope you enjoy it. When Carlson starts calling running plays with a minute or two on the clock you will understand that Valpo is no longer playing to win and only playing to not lose by more than 40 or 50. It's extremely frustrating. I doubt you stay till the end unless you have friends meeting you who decide to stay till the bitter end.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

Correct me if I am off here...

We are about a four touchdown dog in this game.  Some folks, including me, predict it will be more.

There is no way Butler has that better a talent base than we do.  We are similar schools, similar sizes, similar football facilitieis, and the quality of athlete cannot be that significant.  Both schools have fan bases that are lackidaisical.

Why should a potential bum kicking going to happen?  Please explain.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 05, 2013, 04:59:11 PM

We are about a four touchdown dog in this game.  Some folks, including me, predict it will be more.

There is no way Butler has that better a talent base than we do.  We are similar schools, similar sizes, similar football facilitieis, and the quality of athlete cannot be that significant.  Both schools have fan bases that are lackidaisical.

Why should a potential bum kicking going to happen?  Please explain.
Not sure there is an explanation, other than the obvious.  By all accounts, the quality of incoming football talent has risen during Carlson's four years.  Has the rest of the PFL risen that much above our talent?  I don't think so.  Valpo football should be able to compete with teams in the PFL.  For the most part, Valpo is not even close to being in the game by halftime.  And this is year four.  What appears to be lacking is evaluation of talent within the program, and the ability to adapt playing styles to match the talent at hand.  Does not matter how talented the team may be if the play called has the players out of position for the opposition, and with no ability to adapt on the field.  Game after game.

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on November 05, 2013, 05:45:26 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 05, 2013, 04:59:11 PM

And this is year four.  What appears to be lacking is evaluation of talent within the program, and the ability to adapt playing styles to match the talent at hand.  Does not matter how talented the team may be if the play called has the players out of position for the opposition, and with no ability to adapt on the field.  Game after game.

These are two attributes (rettributes?) that characterize the 4 years of this coaching administration.  Good intentions aside, great ideas on program off-field management aside, nation-wide recruiting organization aside,  top drawer values aside, Valpo football is in dire need of a program manager (aka football coach) who (1) gets the best possible talent that will come VU's way, (2) assesses that talent in the context of the PFL competition environment, and (3) constructs an offensive system and a defensive system that optimizes that talent on both sides of the ball.  Falling short of the "both sides of the ball" threshhold, the program should use what talents are available to be competitive despite W-L record. At our level, it is virtually impossible to bring in a particular system and then hand pick the players by position (who might not be really suited) to meet the requirements of that system regardless of individual talent or skill.

The next coach must be a person who, first, accurately assesses the remaining talent and then builds a program around them -- not one who seeks to make them into players they may not be or fit them into a system that does not suit them. 

I keep coming back to my reintroduction to Valpo FB during Stacey's watch.  They lost most games (sometimes by a large margin), but in comparison to the last few years his kids hit and they played tackle football.  He had, by all reports, no way near the present budget and couldn't physically recuit outside a 100 mile radius from Valpo (I exaggerate to make my point). There were no inspirational Tweets, no blogs, no Facebook -- and few excuses.

When things get difficult in life or sport, my mantra has always been "simplfy, simplify, simplify."  When Arron Rodgers went down last night, the Packers simplified their attack for Seneca Wallace, who hadn't taken a snap in a long while, and stayed within striking distance of a win though most of the game.  Lose your MVP QB? Adapt: hand off to Lacey and Starks.  But that's not my point.  My point is that the Packer "system" allows for that kind of adaptation (as does most well conceived programs).  But my real point is that a fenesse system can't survive unless the talent is superior.  When the talent is average, it's gotta come down to a lunch bucket bunch of hardnosed kids who don't know how not to play at 100%. 

I think we've had that lunch bucket bunch of kids.  I also think that over the past 4 years those kids have, unfortunately, been asked to hone their fenessing skills.  They just can't do it.  They just want to play football.

Take the running attack.  Currently, most rushes are at an angle to the LOS.  Finesse.  Where is the isolation that springs a runner north and south?  Passing?  "The 4 yard pass is like a run. " Yeah, if it's not an INC or PIC.  I go back to MERCER (who I now despise). Run first, pass second, play tough basic defense. YEAR ONE: Mainly freshmen and sophomores (Quotes from another building program: "we're still young and make rookie mistakes,"  "we just were inconsistent out there today")  RESULT  8-1 and they beat Drake.

usc4valpo

Wow, no love for the Dale Carlson 3-39 express this week. The Hoosier helmet is on the line.

Shields Up Baby!!!   And make sure the steel meets standards this week.

LaPorteAveApostle

i think we misheard them saying "heels up"

bluehorseshoe

I will comment and confirm that this 2017 class seems loaded with talent; These recruits came from some incredible HS programs  ...what have they seen so far???

As mentioned, no adaptability...and certainly ...no accountability. Same issues and gaps week after week. Not tough for even a mediocre program to scheme against VALPO...

VALPO could be at .500 or better.   

historyman

Butler has a video feed set up for this game at this website:

http://www.butlersports.com/landing/Live_Video

Sweep! Sweep! Sweep! Valpo is not a doormat let's do a sweep instead!

usc4valpo

Shields Up baby!!! Ron English just got canned from EMU and looking to rebuild a program.

LaPorteAveApostle

wow.  he would be amazing.  not sure he would want to go right back to an underfunded, underappreciated program with a history of getting stuffing kicked, though.