• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football Recruiting

Started by valpopal, January 07, 2014, 09:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Word is that the first Valpo recruit to commit for 2014 football appears to be a quarterback, Conner Smith:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/conner-smith/JFfvQ_ToEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm#year=13-14

humbleopinion

The coach, in comments, said that priorities in recruiting will be in defensive secondary and to ensure that there would be a strong replacement for Hoffman.  He indicated that he felt pretty good about the defensive front seven.
Beamin' Beacons

IndyValpo

This from Scout.com 12/21/2013:

PERRY MERIDIAN

At Perry Meridian Coach Scott Marsh informs us that record setting quarterback Conner Smith is still in the process of narrowing things down. Right now, it stands between Valparaiso and Butler, more than likely.

Any recruit who picks us over Butler is ok by me!

valpopal

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 08, 2014, 09:40:38 AM
This from Indiana HS Football website 12/21/2013:

PERRY MERIDIAN

At Perry Meridian Coach Scott Marsh informs us that record setting quarterback Conner Smith is still in the process of narrowing things down. Right now, it stands between Valparaiso and Butler, more than likely

That article is almost 3 weeks old. My understanding is that he committed on Monday.

vu72

Here's a nice article about Conner with some video interviews.  A bright kid to be sure who wants to study accounting.

http://www.hoosierauthority.com/news_article/show/298348?referrer_id=815809
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Seems like a good pocket passer, which I like if we have a solid OL.  I have no idea about the level of competition he has faced, is it good opposition that he has faced this year?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Looking at the schedule he faced last Fall,  the competition was very good...large schools in the Indianapolis area.

vu72

Yes, big school competition.

Here are some highlights, seems like he can make all the throws with some very nice touch as well:

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/in/indianapolis/perry-meridian-high-school/conner-smith6
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on January 07, 2014, 09:06:57 PM
Word is that the first Valpo recruit to commit for 2014 football appears to be a quarterback, Conner Smith:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/conner-smith/JFfvQ_ToEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm#year=13-14

Looks like Perry Meridian and Decatur Central had a real defensive struggle, 83-78!  No OT!  Did the defense even step onto the field?

http://www.maxpreps.com/games/football-fall-13/decatur-central-vs-perry-meridian/8-30-2013-bG-oRQvomEmvmA55KiGcHQ.htm

historyman

Quote from: covufan on January 08, 2014, 03:10:27 PM
Quote from: valpopal on January 07, 2014, 09:06:57 PMWord is that the first Valpo recruit to commit for 2014 football appears to be a quarterback, Conner Smith: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/conner-smith/JFfvQ_ToEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm#year=13-14
Looks like Perry Meridian and Decatur Central had a real defensive struggle, 83-78!  No OT!  Did the defense even step onto the field? http://www.maxpreps.com/games/football-fall-13/decatur-central-vs-perry-meridian/8-30-2013-bG-oRQvomEmvmA55KiGcHQ.htm
Here's the USA Today story on that game.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/08/indiana-high-school-football-teams-put-up-crazy-stats-combine-for-1703-yards/

Perry Meridian quarterback Conner Smith passed for 490 yards and six touchdowns.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Here's another interesting tidbit on Conner Smith:

http://www.wishtv.com/sports/high-school/athlete-of-the-week-connor-smith

He likes to call sports on the radio also.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

NuPudge

I am hearing that this is suppose to be a huge recruiting weekend for us.. I hope we hand some good recruits.. Look out for them over the weekend and give them some encouragement words to help them see Valpo as the place to come for education and football..

valpopal

Defensive lineman Patrick McArdle from Georgia has just committed to Valpo. He is also a basketball player who could be a walk-on for Bryce.

http://youtu.be/GJOLcVg48vY

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on January 17, 2014, 11:07:46 AM
Defensive lineman Patrick McArdle from Georgia has just committed to Valpo. He is also a basketball player who could be a walk-on for Bryce.

http://youtu.be/GJOLcVg48vY

He seems very strong the way he pancaked a few guys, but at 235# seems more likely to play linebacker then tackle or defensive end.  Then again, if he can add 50#...

VULB#62

I liked how he kept his shoulders square to the LOS on plays down the line.  Good footwork.  Well coached. Could be a strong OLB/DE.  Georgia football is a solid recruiting ground so if this is real, there has got to be some pedigree coming to NW IN.  As for size, here's a good comparison from my New England roots:  Tedi Bruschi.  He was listed at 6'1"" and 250#.  He set the Pac-10 sack record when playing DE for Arizona State (I believe). Look at him on ESPN.  He's actually is about 6"0" and now is a trim 215-220 and never was heavier than 240 while plaint ILB in the NFL.  He had incredible intelligence and a motor that had only one gear. This recruit looks like there's a motor there.

This brings me to a thought I have had the last two years after tracking the previous staff's recruiting efforts.  They recruited in some real FB hotbeds and the highlight reels I watched showed me really capable kids with explosive skill sets.  Yet, when dropped into the Valpo FB environment, a lot of that seemed to evaporate.  I talked to a couple of FB parents at a Marist game and they wondered out loud about how much (or how little ) their kids were being pushed to become better football players. I hope that Coach Cecchini's staff (including the Carlson hold-overs) bring a more intense approach to pushing the kids in all aspects of FB life (off-season, pre-season, daily practice, and, most importantly, on game day).  I truly believe that a lot of recruited potential was not optimized over the past four years.  I want to see that change.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 17, 2014, 01:03:58 PM
I liked how he kept his shoulders square to the LOS on plays down the line.  Good footwork.  Well coached. Could be a strong OLB/DE.  Georgia football is a solid recruiting ground so if this is real, there has got to be some pedigree coming to NW IN.  As for size, here's a good comparison from my New England roots:  Tedi Bruschi.  He was listed at 6'1"" and 250#.  He set the Pac-10 sack record when playing DE for Arizona State (I believe). Look at him on ESPN.  He's actually is about 6"0" and now is a trim 215-220 and never was heavier than 240 while plaint ILB in the NFL.  He had incredible intelligence and a motor that had only one gear. This recruit looks like there's a motor there.

This brings me to a thought I have had the last two years after tracking the previous staff's recruiting efforts.  They recruited in some real FB hotbeds and the highlight reels I watched showed me really capable kids with explosive skill sets.  Yet, when dropped into the Valpo FB environment, a lot of that seemed to evaporate.  I talked to a couple of FB parents at a Marist game and they wondered out loud about how much (or how little ) their kids were being pushed to become better football players. I hope that Coach Cecchini's staff (including the Carlson hold-overs) bring a more intense approach to pushing the kids in all aspects of FB life (off-season, pre-season, daily practice, and, most importantly, on game day).  I truly believe that a lot of recruited potential was not optimized over the past four years.  I want to see that change.

Don't know if this has ever been posted, but I found a football recruiting site on the athletics site.  It needs to be updated but otherwise is pretty solid.  The first tab shows players by state.  There are 19 states represented with 30 coming from traditional football power states, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Texas and California.  Georgia wasn't represented last year.

http://valpofootball.net/

VUOR63

Even good HS seniors in "football hotbeds" are still 18 year old boys who put their pants on one leg at a time.  Talent development is huge in a football program as these boys must be developed into 22 year old men.  The guys committing to play at Valpo are paying for the opportunity and will most likely consider themselves more of a product of the football program than they business or engineering school.  A good coaching staff will deliver a better product.  Best of luck to them on recruiting (and developing) these 18 year old boys.

NuPudge

Did we land anymore recruits over the weekend? I saw a few on campus this weekend..

valpopal

You can add running back Jarrett Morgan to the 2014 commits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ycCfoR8eg

vu72

vu72

Here's an article I found about his visit to Valpo:

Vero Beach's Stokes has 'great visit' to Valparaiso
By Dennis Jacob on January 21, 2014 11:44 PM Share:  Tweet me!            submit to reddit  StumbleUpon Toolbar

Another recruiting entry by Jon Santucci ...

Vero Beach quarterback Dalton Stokes admits he was skeptical about Valparaiso, which went 1-10 in 2013 and has not had a winning record since 2003.

But after an official visit last weekend, where he got to meet the new coaching staff, and in-home visit Monday, he's feeling a lot better.

"It was a great visit," said Stokes, who is rated No. 9 in the Scripps Super 11. "The head coach, Dave Cecchini, has a great résumé. He was at Lehigh and Harvard and that's what I'm really excited about, talking X's and O's with him. I think I could fit in right away and have a chance to compete for some playing time."

Stokes met with Valparaiso defensive line coach Kasey Teegardin, a South Fork alum, at Mulligan's Beach House Bar and Grill in Vero Beach on Monday.
"It was cool to see him again and go over the visit," Stokes said.

Stokes said he also is considering Marist and Stetson as well as a preferred walk-on opportunity at FAU. He was scheduled to visit Georgetown this week, but said he will not take the visit now; Fort Pierce Central QB Sam Vaughn committed to Georgetown last week.

valpotx

I really like his quick feet, and assumed quick decision-making ability (from the video).  We have held on to the ball way too long over the last few years, leading to many broken plays and sacks.

Good to know that he took our offer over Marist's offer as well!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

I am hearing some good reports about recruiting of new players for next season on both offense and defense. Some specific players who have been mentioned as having committed sound especially promising. Of course, if there were bad news most likely I'd be hearing nothing.

I am hoping the change to a new head coach and philosophy also will bring new energy and enthusiasm, maybe even optimism, not only to the new recruits but also to reward those who have remained. Indeed, retention seems stronger than I had expected. In any case, we will know soon about the new class since the football signing day is one week from today.

vufan75

Some of the Valpo Football coaches comments from Twitter over the last few days sound promising. The new football coach and his staff are definitely excited by the verbal commitments they have been getting. Hard working group. I wish them much success in turning around the program! 

Kasey Teegardin‏@CoachTee34 Jan 28
Let's Goooooooo!!! Just picked up one of the best Defensive Ends in Tennessee!!!! Welcome to the family!! Time to get on this train! #TurnUp

Kasey Teegardin‏@CoachTee34 Jan 28
This recruiting class is going to be tough to beat!!! Don't miss the train, it's gettin ready to leave the station!! #TurnUp #GoValpo

Kasey Teegardin‏@CoachTee34 Jan 26
Let's Gooooooo!!! Another top recruit just joined the Crusader family!!!!!! One of the best players in South Florida!! #TurnUp  #GoValpo#

Make that 3!!! Big time LBeast commit!!! Welcome to the family!! Who's next?!?! Better get on board now!!! #TurnUp #GoValpo

Yeahhhhhhh!!! Let's go!!! Got 2 on board baby!!! Big O-Line pick-up from St. Louis!!!! Who's next?!?!! The #TurnUp is real!! #GoValpo

Jason Miran‏@ValpoCoachMiran Jan 26
Very excited about the future after this visit weekend.  We added some great young men to this program! \\//'s UP!

Dave Cecchini \\//‏@DaveCecchini Jan 25
Focused on the future of Valpo Football and those that will play a role in our success! Get your \\//'s Up #TurnUp #GoValpo

Jason Miran‏@ValpoCoachMiran Jan 26
Very excited about the future after this visit weekend.  We added some great young men to this program! \\//'s UP!