• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football Recruiting

Started by valpopal, January 07, 2014, 09:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOVALPO!

Any word on the spring football game date

VULB#62

I haven't heard a firm date yet, but I recall someone saying that it will be a bit later than usual -- probably because of the track construction.

VUDad

I believe the spring game is April 26.

VULB#62

That's only a week later than last Spring (4/20/13).

VUDad

Guessing that Easter on April 20 (week before) and finals starting May 8 (1.5 weeks after) impacted the timing.

vu72

Just read that we received a Letter of Intent from this bright young man who will move from offensive line to tight end for us.  Also, he is a local student.

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/in/whiting/whiting-high-school/tommy--dabertin
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Interesting change between HS and college.  Usually changes like that go in the opposite direction.  But if the new offense requires one TE to be the blocking TE, he certainly stays with his blocks on the LOS as well as in open space.  Good that he's local as well.  We need to cultivate the NW Indiana/Chicagoland talent and make Valpo the place to go for FCS caliber players.

The FB Twitter page seems to be quiet of late after that major push. last Tweet I see is March 2  Guess no new news is better than a whole bunch of Joel Olsteen quotes.  Hope at some point the FB staff releases a compiled list of 2014 recruits and their summaries.  I always enjoyed going through those.

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on March 14, 2014, 12:19:55 PMHere's a Osteen quote about recruiting.
Move over, Plato & Aristotle!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

That Osteen quote would explain why we didn't win games for the first two seasons. Finally, makes sense of why we lost so much.  :lol:

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on March 14, 2014, 09:57:53 AM
Just read that we received a Letter of Intent from this bright young man who will move from offensive line to tight end for us.  Also, he is a local student.

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/in/whiting/whiting-high-school/tommy--dabertin
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 14, 2014, 10:58:08 AM
Interesting change between HS and college.  Usually changes like that go in the opposite direction.  But if the new offense requires one TE to be the blocking TE, he certainly stays with his blocks on the LOS as well as in open space.  Good that he's local as well.  We need to cultivate the NW Indiana/Chicagoland talent and make Valpo the place to go for FCS caliber players.

The FB Twitter page seems to be quiet of late after that major push. last Tweet I see is March 2  Guess no new news is better than a whole bunch of Joel Olsteen quotes.  Hope at some point the FB staff releases a compiled list of 2014 recruits and their summaries.  I always enjoyed going through those.
First off this appears to be a great student athlete. 

As far as the position switch, Whiting is a 1A school and 6-2 235 is probably pretty good size for an O Lineman. He would be way undersized at this level.  The switch to TE makes sense.

valporun

Glad to hear that he's willing to make the move, even if he may not have the best catching hands next year, we'd have a confident blocking tight end until he's comfortable with pass routes and catching the ball. I know so many football players want to play the position they starred at in high school, and will not let a college coach change who they are. I hope this is a great move made for the best of the student athlete and the football team, not just for the sake of the football player.

usc4valpo

Gotta wonder if Osteen and Michele Bachmann have a relationship with bogus quotes like that.  Sounds like the same mentality.   I hope these bogus quotes and the Shields Up slogan go away. 

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 15, 2014, 04:02:15 PMGotta wonder if Osteen and Michele Bachmann have a relationship with bogus quotes like that.  Sounds like the same mentality.   I hope these bogus quotes and the Shields Up slogan go away.
The new slogan for the next few years is "Brown is Not Going Down!"  Sorry for the toilet humor.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Quote from: valporun on March 15, 2014, 03:01:56 PM
Glad to hear that he's willing to make the move, even if he may not have the best catching hands next year, we'd have a confident blocking tight end until he's comfortable with pass routes and catching the ball. I know so many football players want to play the position they starred at in high school, and will not let a college coach change who they are. I hope this is a great move made for the best of the student athlete and the football team, not just for the sake of the football player.

Here's a short but nice aticle on OT turned TE Tom Dabertin from Whiting.  Explains the shift:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/football/college/whiting-s-dabertin-commits-to-valparaiso/article_5d18a9e1-1b4e-5234-9eb2-80adaacd78e5.html

Didn't know until this article that he is from the same school that gave us all time receiver Rob Giancola.

a3uge

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 15, 2014, 04:02:15 PM
Gotta wonder if Osteen and Michele Bachmann have a relationship with bogus quotes like that.  Sounds like the same mentality.   I hope these bogus quotes and the Shields Up slogan go away.

Have you ever heard a football coach talk before?

usc4valpo

yes, but use quotes and stuff that have credibility, substance and less cheese.  Also, back your quotes or slogans with successful examples that you accomplished - Pete Carroll, like him or not, does a great job with this and does not over do it.  He also backs his efforts with success.

IndyValpo

The class has been officially announced:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/media/football/2013-14/PDFs/2014%20Recruiting%20Class.pdf

We lost two who had previously committed:
Christain Coleman the speedy DB from Georgia and Brenden Weis the 290 pound OL out of Missouri. Not sure what happened there.

VULB#62

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 28, 2014, 07:36:32 AM
The class has been officially announced:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/media/football/2013-14/PDFs/2014%20Recruiting%20Class.pdf

We lost two who had previously committed:
Christain Coleman the speedy DB from Georgia and Brenden Weis the 290 pound OL out of Missouri. Not sure what happened there.
Sad to see the GA kid back out.  He could have also helped our Track team considerably.  But he was an under the radar kid waiting to be discovered by higher level schools.  Suppose their Twitter accounts would give us a clue.  Think either might show up at IU this fall?

VULB#62

This is from the Valpo Football Twitter site:

Valpo Football @valpoufootball  ยท  May 7
Welcome our newest Crusader, Steven Kelly! If the ball is in the air, he will catch it.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1693829/steven-kelly ...

I watched the 2013 highlight reel and this kid is the real deal.  6'4'' 195# and runs a 4.6 40.  He goes go up and grabs anything near him.  Also is good at getting yards after the catch, goes inside and catches tough balls -- all of this while usually being double teamed (leading receiver in the DC area - 188 schools, 23.19 yards per reception -- played FB, Basketball and LaCrosse).  Also plays Free Safety and is not afraid of contact.