• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football Recruiting

Started by valpopal, January 07, 2014, 09:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Haha, I appreciate the enthusiasm from Kasey Teegardin to use Twitter to possibly lead other recruits to want to pick us by embellishing a little ;).
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Coach Tee was tehe most exuberant coach last year on the recruiting trail and he certainly hasn't lost any of that enthusiasm.  BTW I could be way off base, but I think he was the one who came up with "Shields Up"   8-)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 29, 2014, 04:49:00 PM"Shields Up"
since he pitches for Kansas City, it'll be a while before he's up again
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

I am not sure I would be proud of that slogan.  I hope it stops with the new regime as the Osteen quoter used it one too many times.

That being said, I like this enthusiasm.

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 29, 2014, 07:48:48 PMI am not sure I would be proud of that slogan.  I hope it stops with the new regime as the Osteen quoter used it one too many times. That being said, I like this enthusiasm.
Did he steal that line from Kirk, Picard or Janeway? Or was it William Wallace? Johnson & Johnson? GRC.com? A shaman from Worlds of Warcraft?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

GOVALPO!

3 days until signing day!  Going to be a great class--way to go coaches! Hard work & determination makes champions!  Go Valpo!

NuPudge

Will there be any type of coverage for tomorrow recruit signing? Lots of colleges turn this into a big day for their new players..

valpotx

I wouldn't count on anything more than a casual mention on some of the players joining the program, but even then, since we are non-scholarship, I believe they can't comment until they enroll.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

That's correct.  Usually the signee list in football doesn't get announced until all enrollment deposits are in and that is usually end of April or beginning of May.

vu72

Still, we will get some newspaper coverage of kids signing.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

GOVALPO!

Big day for Valpo football And their recruits Hopefully they post a list somewhere of the signees Before April so we can see who's coming in Recruits can definitely commit to a school if their excepted to the school I don't think they have to enroll to commit

valpotx

No, they don't have to enroll to commit, but they have to enroll for our school to comment on them joining the program.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

We go through this explanation every year -- it's because we are PFL and non-scholarship.  Treated differently than other scholarshipped D-I sports.

willy

To see some of the recruits that Valpo has landed check out the Valpo football page on Facebook. I love that this new coaching staff is bringing this kind of excitement to the program!

valpopal

Head coachDave Cecchini and his staff will announce their commits beginning at 3 p.m. CT on Twitter. Follow @valpoufootball and @DaveCecchini as they'll release names and comments of the newest class to don the Brown and Gold in 15-minute intervals.

govalpogo

I watch VUFB at a distance most of the time in order to "guard my heart" which already is susceptible to bleeding a bit too much brown and gold for the sanity of my wife.  Tracking these twitter announcements is pretty cool, though.  The tweets include nice standardized graphics on all the guys and links to their recruiting videos. Some of the recruits are even commenting and seem very excited to be joining the program! When was the last time you saw a VUFB recruit have the Valpo logo as his twitter or facebook picture?! I've also watched the FB team's number of followers increase pretty substantially during the process.  Creating some excitement around this program, hopefully it'll translate to some W's as well...it could be such a good story about everything that's still good and wholesome about playing for the sheer love of the game.

valpotx

It's interesting that we are commenting now, but it does help generate some excitement.  There is always the risk that we are commenting on people that don't enroll, but making it public may make them want to join more?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 05, 2014, 11:41:19 AM
We go through this explanation every year -- it's because we are PFL and non-scholarship.  Treated differently than other scholarshipped D-I sports.

I'm glad that they've changed their approach.  Often wondered about the explanation I crossed out above.

valpo64

Perhaps someone can collect the Twitter, etc. info and post the list  here.

VUDad

From Twitter this evening, here are the positions recruited in the class of 17 players shown: 3 DBs, 3 LBs, 2 QBs, 2 DEs, and 1 each of OL, WR, Ath, TE, DL, RB, FB. The next round of recruiting starts now because a lot of players holding out hope for a D1 scholarship that didn't happen will now consider a non-scholarship D1 school like Valpo rather than go to D2, D3, or NAIA.

GOVALPO!

Loved the way the coaches announced the commitments   Outstanding job coaches.  Great class.   And more coming in I'm sure   Very  Exciting !!

valpotx

That's cool that they were able to use their Lehigh recruiting list to compare to Valpo's previous list.  I wonder how our old ratings compared to Lehigh's ratings!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUOR63

One thing I've noticed that Bryce Drew has used is upperclassmen transfers.  I wonder if Cecchini and his staff have looked at recruiting the pipeline from the California juco system at all (that's where Macchi came from).  Getting an upperclassman gives the team a shot in the arm with an experienced player while also giving the player a chance to graduate from an esteemed institution and only paying 2 years worth of tuition.

valpopal

A family friend who played linebacker on the high school team with my nephew (one of the defensive lineman in this old video who unfortunately is going to play at another university) visited campus this weekend and says he committed to Valpo today. The new recruit's name is Colton Keene:

Colton Keene, LB, Class of 2014, Highight Video