• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Volleyball 2014

Started by original sin, April 06, 2014, 06:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

[tweet]512035659679547392[/tweet]

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on September 16, 2014, 07:31:47 PM
[tweet]512035659679547392[/tweet]

Not to take anything away from the win, but Toledo hasn't won a match yet, including losses to IUPUI and CSU, 3-0.  We had to win this and win big to advance our hopes of perhaps gaining some national recognition.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Pretty decisive sweep:

Valparaiso (3)   25  25  25
Toledo (0)         17  17  19

Nine players rotated into all three sets.  4 others rotated into 1 set

valpotx

We would need to be 15 or 20-1, before gaining any national recognition.  We don't have any solid wins
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Preview of this weekend's Valpo tournament in the order Valpo will be playing:

Murray State:    9-0 with 6 sweeps, beat Wright State (3-8)  3-0
Sacrament State: - 4-8
George Washington:  7-3,  In their last 4 matches have gone 2-2 including losing to Illinois State and beating Georgetown. (ISU, BTW swept UIC and beat Oakland 3-1)

Murray looks to be the top opponent and Valpo faces them in the opener, which I think is good.  Might as well start off facing the toughest (by record at least).

covufan

Massey has them at #94 in Division I, and #116 in all of college volleyball.  With their schedule, they are expected to win everything except the @ Milwaukee and @ IPFW matches.  To move up much, they would need to win those matches, and sweep most other teams.  This is about the same ranking as in past years. 

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cvol&sub=NCAA I

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8361&s=265415

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on September 17, 2014, 10:45:42 AM
Massey has them at #94 in Division I, and #116 in all of college volleyball.  With their schedule, they are expected to win everything except the @ Milwaukee and @ IPFW matches.  To move up much, they would need to win those matches, and sweep most other teams.  This is about the same ranking as in past years. 

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cvol&sub=NCAA I

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8361&s=265415

Looking at some of the D-II teams (Concordia - St. Paul???) ahead of us and some of the records of some of the D-Is and what conferences they play in, I have a hard time believing we are so far down.

bbtds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj3pcP2Gt0I#t=81

CU-SP seems to have one of the better teams in D-II. 7-1 record.

They are the team in white. Somebody forgot to tell Rolla the other uniforms were in the laundry. Missouri S&T has the stripe on the side.

Only lost 7 sets so far and three of those were to #2/#19 Tampa in Denver.

They beat #4 BYU-Hawaii in Denver 3-0 and that is the match that has shot the Golden Bears up the rankings.

original sin

Quote from: valpotx on September 17, 2014, 03:32:57 AM
We would need to be 15 or 20-1, before gaining any national recognition.  We don't have any solid wins

Nor will we even if they run the table, as per my earlier post on strength of schedule.

VULB#62

CAVEAT:  I don't know squat about modern volleyball.  I don't even know what the statistical columns represent in the box score .

But then, maybe Carin has figured out that ranking doesn't matter.  It's all about winning the HL and getting the NCAA bid.

She seems to be bringing along the underclassmen and building on each match.

valpotx

Valpo beats previously undefeated Murray State 3-1!  We are now 11-1 on the season (10 W in a row), and have a good chance to win our own tournament, which would be our third in-season championship this season.  It seems like if we have any chance at getting back to the NCAA tournament, that this year's team is very much poised to keep on rolling!  Per usual, regardless of UWM's record, they are always the team to beat, until they show otherwise in conference.  We have Sacramento State (lost 3-0 to GW), and George Washington on Saturday.  If attendance figures are correct, this Marketing program is working, as 550+ attended again!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Took down SSU.  GW beat MSU 3-1.  Show down  with GW in the night cap.

VULB#62

Be nice to win v. GW and make a sweep of the team sports weekend.  Men's Tennis is doing well at Purdue too.

valpotx

Valpo wins its third in-season tournament of the season, 3-0 over GW!  Now a program record start of 13-1 heading into conference.  That is now 20 in-season tournament trophies for Avery, wow!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

The level of performance by the team seemed to increase as the tournament moved forward this weekend, especially when tested by the good play of their opponents. In addition, the naming of Ketcham (a freshman) as MVP with Beil and Victor on the all-tournament team, displays the depth of the squad. In previous tournaments Campbell, Graboski, Longoria, and Berrington received such honors. It was a pleasure to watch the three matches this weekend, and the championship was well earned by the team.

valpopal

I have posted a gallery with more than 25 game photos from the team's championship in the Crusader Crossroads of America Classic at the following link: enjoy! https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157647433750709/

valpopal

In addition to being named the tournament MVP, freshman Allison Ketcham has been selected a Horizon League Player of the Week. As I mentioned in a previous post, the underclassmen have been looking impressive.

valpotx

Volleyball just completely blew a great comeback attempt.  We were down 2 sets to 0, won the next 2 to tie it at 2-2.  In the 5th set, we were up 8-2, only to let Milwaukee go on a 7-1 run to tie it at 9-9, with a bunch of mishits by us, and then another 6-3 run to win it for Milwaukee...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpospartan

Quote from: valpotx on September 27, 2014, 06:19:15 PM
Volleyball just completely blew a great comeback attempt.  We were down 2 sets to 0, won the next 2 to tie it at 2-2.  In the 5th set, we were up 8-2, only to let Milwaukee go on a 7-1 run to tie it at 9-9, with a bunch of mishits by us, and then another 6-3 run to win it for Milwaukee...
It was hard to watch.

VULB#62

On the road. Second match of the weekend.  Lots of underclassmen.  Can't let UWM beat us at home.

valpospartan

After dropping the first set, the VB team won the next three to beat YSU.  their HL record improved to 2-1.
Cleveland State comes in tomorrow at 4.

valporun

The VB team beat Cleveland St., 3-1! Improving to 16-2 on the season, and 2-1 in league play. Great work, Ladies!!

valpotx

They are 3-1 in league play
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

An unfortunate 3-1 loss at Oakland today.  Hopefully we can rebound against a poor Wright State team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpospartan

VB rebounded with a sweep of Wright State.  They are now 4-2 in the HL.