• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Leading Into the 2014 Football Season

Started by VULB#62, June 12, 2014, 06:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

valpopal

valpotx

Any idea who our leading QB is with Hoffman gone? 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

My guess is that it'll be a war in pre-season between the returning QBs and the set of QBs recruited in this class.  Those rookies have some great credentials. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the vets be the starter at WIU but by game 3 or 4 a freshman gets the starting slot for the rest of the season.

VUDad

For QB, many guys say Staal is the one to watch. Missed all last season, and had a big spring game, and has a huge arm. He's likely the reason the other two veteran QBs left. Looking at his recruiting video and stats, he was a big time recruit. A true freshman QB starting would mean I adjust my prediction for wins down a lot. Another bright spot to watch for is the return of a receiver named Warren. Big, fast, and is back this year after injury last season. He'll be hard to bring down when he has the ball.

2Crusaders

Nice comments about Staal (full disclosure--he's my son). Scott's one of several players who stayed at Valpo this summer and are working out a lot--conditioning, weights, and throwing. It's encouraging to hear how the players believe a big turnaround will happen this year; confidence is the starting point for success.

VULB#62

Looking forward to watching the preseason competition and how the season progresses.  For most of us, all we've seen is Eric Hoffman for 3 years with a little Ben Lehman in the mix every now and again. Scott is listed as a junior with sophomore eligibility -- there's nothing like a little maturity under center. Given his size and what VUDad says about his arm, I have to modify my speculation below and give more weight to the vets.  Regardless, it looks like there is some good depth at QB going forward.  Also hope the VU QBs have the benefit of a better run game than in the past.  If we can bring some balance to the attack, I think we'll be able to sustain more drives, stay on the field and score.

usc4valpo

You have to think right now that all starting positions are up for grabs, especially with a new coach and 3-41 record.

Things will better this year.  Not 6-5 better, but better.  They need more talent and depth.

VULB#62

The players report at the end of this week and the new weight room (along with the track around the playing field) is nearing completion.

Here is the HammerStrength site.  They supplied the equipment. 

http://instagram.com/hammerstrengthofficial

It's certainly not your father's weight room.  Very impressive.  Pics of their machines at Stanford, Wisconsin, Rutgers and Dickenson College.  Valpo is getting the kind of facility that will help to improve our players and one that will help attract recruits in the future.  Glad this is happening.  Sidebar: Even though the facility is in Kroenke, the FB lockers are in the basement of the ARC, so there's a short commute.

78crusader

I'm gonna be on campus Friday morning, and will get a tour of some of our new athletic/academic/residence hall facilities.  I will take photos if you guys want and post them here.  Can someone tell me how I post pics on this forum?

Thanks, Paul

VULB#62

:thumbsup:    Cool. 

When I try adding jpg files they attach but have a small size limit.  I'd also like to know how a lot of photos I see get embedded in a post (rather than attached or linked).

valpopal

To post a photo embedded in your message, you must first upload your photo to a free image hosting site. I use TinyPic: http://tinypic.com/ Be sure to re-size to "Message Board." Then use the "Message Board" URL designated for your photo to post here. When composing your post, click on the "Insert Image" icon at the top of your message box and copy the image host URL there. That should do it. I hope this is helpful.

okinawatyphoon

Paul, please post some shots of the new residence hall and of the Chapel addition if you get the chance.  :thumbsup:
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

NuPudge

I so am glad to see that Valpo is investing in there football program and is the point that I had brought up in another posting. Things like this along with new uniforms, helmets, shoes etc.. Is what recruits are looking for.. I hope this is the start of something new with the coach and staff..

vu72

So the new coach has gotten his new weight room, new uniforms and helmets among other things.  All good.  I actually can't wait for the season to begin.  We have several key guys back, some from injury.  For example, Cotton, Green, Kuramata, Gladney, Cook, Hall, Kelly, Hutson, Koeneman, three kickers and as talented a freshman class as we've had in a while (according to their clippings!) I'm looking for 5 wins.

What does 110 helmets cost??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

vu72 - you have players returning, but they also played for a 1-10 team.  Be wary of Cub fan optimism.  If these guys win 5 games next season, Cecchini may be offered tenure after one season.

OK, new weight room, helmets ---  now officially allow beer at the tailgate site and get the fans and students ready to rock!

FloridaFootball

Hoping the three years of airline tickets, rental cars & hotels pay off this year. Of course, a quality education is the most important factor, but damn, I want some W's. Good luck to Devan Gadson (son), Colin Burke  (Second son) and that secondary on D! No 45 yard over the middle plays this year!! Valpo will not finish last in the PFL. Davidson is the new doormat! Don't count on a win at Campbell. They have gotten better, plus they are gunning for us. Lets go Valpo!!

valpopal

GOVALPO!

has anyone seen any of the first couple practices.

valpopal

The team begins two-a-days today, and the home season starts one month from today!

LaPorteAveApostle

That ...is awesome.

But perhaps I show my bias when I say that looks like more of a Viking than a Crusader : )
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

I was giving a campus tour to a family with a prospective student yesterday, and we stopped briefly to watch the football team practice. Since work is continuing on the track, practice was being held at the open area adjacent to the baseball field. I wasn't there long and couldn't make any evaluation. In fact, it would be difficult to do so at this stage anyway, and I hope the team can get on the football field sometime soon. However, if the enthusiasm and attitude displayed by players is an indication, the preseason camp is off to a good start.

VULB#62

That's what I thought.  If you check out the MSO OneValpo YouTube interview of Mike Avery, you can see the FB team practicing at East Gate in the background.