• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Leading Into the 2014 Football Season

Started by VULB#62, June 12, 2014, 06:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

valpopal

My primary hope is that the team not suffer any injuries at Western Illinois, so they can enter the winnable portion of the schedule completely healthy. With opening night game now only 14 days away, here's #14 Andrew Cassara:

vu72

I was just checking the WIU football site and saw that they beat Quincy (D2) last year, 34-6.  Should this give us hope for a similar result?? I think yes!

Here's why:  They (Quincy) also lost to St. Joes 34-26 (we lost 34-31). They lost to William Jewell 19-17 (we lost 36-34)

So, if we keep it to a similar result (34-6) we are at the 28 point margin I predicted earlier!   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I'll just be happy if we don't give up 3-4 plays of 60+ yards each game, like we seemed to average last year.  That is painful to watch!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Though the Brown & Gold scrimmage today was more a series of pre-determined sets rather than an actual game, the action was entertaining. It is difficult to gauge completely the quality of the team in such a session, but I found the play engaging and the enthusiasm high. In fact, I spoke to some of the veteran players, and they assured me there has been a very positive tone throughout preseason camp. In addition, they were encouraged that key figures on the squad are again healthy. Also, the coaching staff appears to be doing a good job of motivating the team and instilling confidence.

Brown Field definitely has a different look with the track around it, though the football field will have even greater definition once the track is completed and lane stripes painted. In addition, I noticed the land across from the Victory Bell, where the new sorority dorm is going to be built, has been cleared of its trees, and it may soon be ready for the scheduled start of construction this fall.

As usual, I took some photographs, including the following that displays Jake Hutson with a rushing touchdown. As you can see, he seems to be back to full health.

valpotx

I am looking forward to this season, as we do still have some offensive talent.  Our season will hinge on how much our defense improves, though, and our ability to get stops. 

Too lazy to look at other threads, but is the new sorority dorm going where the University Park Apartments used to be?  I believe that is what they were called, across from the ARC. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

I am glad to see Jake Hutson back in action - the running game for the Crusader was a huge gap (to see it ever so politely) last season and it looks like it is improved with some depth.

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on August 16, 2014, 11:34:02 PMToo lazy to look at other threads, but is the new sorority dorm going where the University Park Apartments used to be?  I believe that is what they were called, across from the ARC.

Yes.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 17, 2014, 10:10:51 AM
I am glad to see Jake Hutson back in action - the running game for the Crusader was a huge gap (to see it ever so politely) last season and it looks like it is improved with some depth. 

Anyone in addition to ValpoPal at the Brown and Gold scrimmage Saturday?  Would love to hear more about:

-- What they are running on defense.

-- What the offensive scheme is.

-- How intense the play was.

-- Who the standout players were.

-- Who looks like the #1 QB for the WIU game

valpopal

I'm not sure anyone could give much of an answer about how the team looked at the scrimmage since the play was fragmented and many of the key players expected to contribute didn't dress for action. In fact, I spoke with a few of the starters on the sidelines who hadn't put on pads and were in shorts because the coaches wanted to evaluate new and supporting players while also not wanting to chance any injuries to those starters. Because of that Etzler got more time receiving and caught a nice touchdown pass, as can be seen in my photo below. He seems to have good hands.

Of the starters who did play, Hutson looked good running the ball, and Gladney impressed everyone, especially when running back kicks in the open field. However, there was one moment when all held their breaths because Gladney was making a terrific long run down the field and he got crushed by a tackle that sent him into the players on the sideline—perhaps, evidence of the intensity. Fortunately, he was okay, and the team seemed to avoid any injuries. Let's hope avoiding injuries continues throughout the season.

usc4valpo

valpopal.

Excellent analysis and your photography is outstanding.

GOVALPO!

Got my first look at the team over the Weekend Thought they looked pretty good Practice was well-organized and upbeat Running game Looked good Quarterbacks seem to be competing well number 12 I think he's from Vero Beach didn't play because of a sore elbow but the rest of them I thought did pretty good Receivers seem to be a little inconsistent but that's expected this early on Had some great catches and some drops Defense Was pretty good Had Some missed assignments but I thought the effort was great On both sides of the ball Coaches are definitely moving people around trying to find the right mix it seems But overall I liked what I saw and I'm very excited for the season Western Illinois will be tough But you never know Can't wait to see it and yes I was serious about the plane tickets flying to St. Louis Thursday morning from Florida Then driving to The game hopefully there will be a lot of Val Po Fans there But if you can't make The game it will be on ESPN 3.     Go Valpo. Hardwork determination!!!!!

VULB#62

12 is QB Scott Staal -- Red shirt Soph from Grand Haven, MI.  Dalton Stokes (Fr) from Vero Beach is #13.  Good to see the staff moving kids around and looking for the best fit.  Got the impression during the previous regime that kids were pigeon holed and once there they were stuck, whether it was the right pigeon hole or not.  But now it's time to set your two-deep and start getting ready for WIU (that's on a different string).

2Crusaders

For practice and scrimmages, Scott Staal wears #13 and Dalton Stokes wears #12. In games that will reverse. Had to do with the shirt size of the jersey. Scott played Saturday, Dalton didn't. Great efforts and competition across the roster.

bbtds

Quote from: GOVALPO! on August 19, 2014, 11:21:21 AMCan't wait to see it and yes I was serious about the plane tickets flying to St. Louis Thursday morning from Florida

When you drive across I-270 east in North St Louis County don't get off at West Florissant. Wait till Illinois. Way too many protesters and bad apples!

valpopal

Good interviews by Brad Collignon with Coach Cecchini and some of the key players:

2014 Valpo Football Media Day

vu72

Brad is no little guy. A couple of our guys are BIG. Very impressed with Alex Green both physically (6'3" 225 lbs.) and via what he did on the field last year. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Did you see ml trying to sneek a peek there at the end of the video?

Your correct, Collignon is a huge dude.

LET'S GO! VALAPO!!

VULB#62

Paul did a piece on the QB battle between Lehman and Staal.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/lehman-and-staal-battling-to-be-valparaiso-s-quarterback/article_1618236b-b767-5884-aecb-4be4b9b52db1.html

His summary:  Regardless of which quarterback ultimately wins the position, the Valparaiso offense will look different than the no-huddle offense which was employed during Dale Carlson's tenure. Cecchini talked about using a West Coast type offense Tuesday from the shotgun and also mentioned the use of a fullback, a position that was largely invisible under Carlson.

[ Key Cecchini quote: ] "You're going to see a little more variety offensively," Cecchini said. "We're going to change tempos. We're going to work to get the turnovers down. Because there's a little more it's taking some time for our players to truly get comfortable. Execution will take place over diversity." 

I like that.  The no huddle approach just got us off the field faster after a 3 and out.

VULB#62

There are 252 D-I football programs rated by Sagarin

For reference, here is a look at where we and other PFL schools stand going into this football weekend (as of 9/3).  Starting this weekend, this is actually the "real" part of our schedule.  I have also included OOC opponents of interest plus Lehigh.

103  SE Louisiana* (Beat JU last week)
107  YSU* (Plays Butler next week)
119  Princeton (Plays at USD in two weeks)
121  Richmond* (Beat Morehead State last week)
146  Eastern KY* (Plays Morehead next week)
151  Appalachian State ** (Plays Campbell this Saturday)
155  USD
170  Lehigh*
171  Penn (Plays JU in two weeks)
177  WIU* (Beat VU and plays Drake next week)
181  Charleston Southern* (Plays Campbell next week)
190  Dayton
217  Butler
220  Drake
223  Jacksonville
242  Marist
247  Morehead state
249  Campbell
250  Stetson
251  Davidson
252  Valpo

* FCS Scholarship programs
** FBS

usc4valpo

Well, the RPI is in very familiar territory.

Looking at this, the Pioneer Football conference is incredibly weak.

VULB#62

USD, Butler and Dayton have not played a game yet, so their ratings are questionable at this point. We'll know more after this weekend:

USD plays @ Western NM (D-II) - USD beat WNM 38-35 at home last year.  WNM had a 4-6 record in 2013.  USD home game again.  First game for both.

Butler plays @ Wittenberg (D-III) - Butler won last year 49-24,  Wittenberg went on to a 10-2 record, losing to Mount Union in the D-III playoffs (I believe).

Dayton hosts Georgetown (FCS) of the Patriot League.  Last week GU lost to Wagner of the NEC 21-3.  GU was 2-9 last year.  Davidson was one of the two wins (42-6)

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 04, 2014, 06:59:48 PM
Well, the RPI is in very familiar territory.

Looking at this, the Pioneer Football conference is incredibly weak.

Sagarin's Conference ratings confirm that the Pioneer is the SECOND worse conference in the FCS (Bold).  It also shows that the MVFC, who we play pretty regularly as a guarantee game, is better than 4 FBS conferences.  I included the ratings for the Ivy and Patriot Leagues, the bottom feeders and the MVFC (quite a jump from the PFL rating).

1  SEC-WEST
   2  PAC-12(NORTH)
   3  PAC-12(SOUTH)
   4  BIG 12
   5  SEC-EAST
   6  BIG TEN-EAST
   7  ACC-ATLANTIC
   8  ACC-COASTAL
   9  I-A INDEPENDENTS
  10  BIG TEN-WEST
  11  AMERICAN ATHLETIC (OLD BIG EAST)
  12  MWC-WEST
  13  MWC-MOUNTAIN
  14  MAC-WEST
  15  MISSOURI VALLEY 60.86
  16  CONFERENCE USA-WEST
  17  CONFERENCE USA-EAST
  18  MAC-EAST   
  19  SUN BELT
20  COLONIAL
  21  OHIO VALLEY
  22  BIG SKY
  23  SOUTHLAND
  24  IVY LEAGUE 49.33
  25  SOUTHERN
  26  BIG SOUTH
  27  PATRIOT  43.11
  28  MID-EASTERN
  29  NORTHEAST 38.15
  30  I-AA INDEPENDENTS
  31  SWAC-EAST  35.47
  32  PIONEER  30.97

33  SWAC-WEST  30.60

I think we will continue with the MVFC because they have the greatest capacity to pay a guarantee. Big Sky schools like UND, Montana State, and Montana also get great attendance so that is also a possibility. I do not know if the Ivy League or the Patriot League schools are in a position to pay guarantees (probably not), so we'd be looking for a Home and Home deal there.

VULB#62

More information upon which to have a little fun with speculation (with the understanding that comparative scores are not a very valid method of assessment):  :coffeetime:

Drake has an OOC schedule similar to ours. 

>>  We played and lost (45-6) to WIU.  Drake plays WIU next week after WIU goes against Wisconsin in Madison.

>>  This Saturday Drake hosts Truman State from the Great Lakes Valley Conference (same conference as St. Joe's)

>>  Valpo hosts St. Joe's. 

>>  Last year Truman lost to St. Joe's 6-3 and had a 7-4 record compared to St. Joe's at 8-3. 

>>  For both GLVC teams this is their opening game and it's on the road.  Both Drake and Valpo already have losing games under their belt.

If Drake loses to WIU by 30+ points and has a comparable score against Truman as we have with St. Joe's (win or lose), it should give us an indication of whether we will be on a competitive level with Drake (or not) at least on paper. Yes?     ::)