• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #1 - @ WIU

Started by VULB#62, August 11, 2014, 02:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Might as well put in a placeholder for this game. 

To get us thinking, this is copied from the WIU Football site (link below):

A group of officials were also on hand Friday night working the scrimmage. The night session wrapped up the 10th practice of fall camp. According to head coach Bob Nielson, his team is continuing to make improvements.

"I definitely think we are on track in most areas, however, you always want to be further ahead. Offensively and defensively we have made good progress. We continue to work hard with our kicking game units. We still have some work to do there," said Nielson."

RUNNING BACKS SHOWING DEPTH: Heading into fall camp, one position group that would be a team strength was running back. Senior J.C. Baker (5-8, 180) was named to the College Football Performance Awards Watch List following his 1,149-yard performance last year. Fellow senior Nikko Watson (6-0, 250) is closing in on the career 'Top 10' rushing yards as a Leatherneck. That 1-2 punch is joined by junior Kyle Hammonds (5-7, 165), sophomore Devon Moore (6-2, 220), and redshirt-freshman Devin Sanders (5-9, 185) to give Western a talented group of running backs.

http://goleathernecks.com/index.aspx?path=football&

From the MVFBC web site:

Four Valley Football teams -- including three in the Top 10 -- are in the Sports Network Top 25 rankings, announced Friday.  North Dakota State is No. 2, behind Eastern Washington.  Nine league teams received votes, and joining North Dakota State in the Top 25 are UNI (9), South Dakota State (10), and Youngstown State (24). 

WIU Received 5 votes, San Diego got 1 vote (the only PFL team mentioned) and Indiana State got 1.

WIU was  4-8 overall and 2-6 in the MVFBC (9th out of 10 teams -- Indiana State was below them)

covufan

Would like to stay with this team for a quarter, then see some improvement in our offense. 

A couple of site actually try to predict scores.  Massey has us losing 45-6.  Real Time RPI, with some unknown data set, has us losing 28-18.  Real Time RPI also has us ranked at 107 out of 124 FCS teams.  Not sure where they are getting their data.

I have us losing, 41-13. 

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8361&s=262657

http://realtimerpi.com/football/ncaaf_Valparaiso_Crusaders.html?Valparaiso

valpotx

I see us losing 56-7.  We never play well against these types of teams, even when we have good teams.  The one that comes to mind is when we got spanked by Yale 48-2 at the Yale Bowl, during my FR year, when we went 9-2. 

Wiki site for Valpo football:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valparaiso_Crusaders_football
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on August 13, 2014, 12:59:52 AM

But in 1997 we lost to Yale 34-14 at Soldier's Field in a more competitive game.  I'd settle for that vs. WIU.

Tx, thanks for the Wiki site.  I went there and noticed that it needs updating.  It only mentions the two PFL league titles in 2000 and 2003.  It fails to mention that Valpo had 6 Indiana Collegiate Conference titles in 51, 52, 54, 64, 68, and 69.  And FWIW, during that span, Valpo was 18-14-1 against Ball State and 20-10-2 against Indiana State. My, how things have changed.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 13, 2014, 07:56:36 AM
Quote from: valpotx on August 13, 2014, 12:59:52 AM

But in 1997 we lost to Yale 34-14 at Soldier's Field in a more competitive game.  I'd settle for that vs. WIU.

Tx, thanks for the Wiki site.  I went there and noticed that it needs updating.  It only mentions the two PFL league titles in 2000 and 2003.  It fails to mention that Valpo had 6 Indiana Collegiate Conference titles in 51, 52, 54, 64, 68, and 69.  And FWIW, during that span, Valpo was 18-14-1 against Ball State and 20-10-2 against Indiana State. My, how things have changed.

62 beat me to it on the other Yale game.  Great atmosphere in Chicago for that game.  Heck, the last time we played WIU, in 2010, we only lost 45-0. We have to be better than that year and WIU is coming off a bad year.  We'll know soon enough...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

setshot

Say '62,thanks for the memories. My wife and I were on campus during the championship years of,51,52,54. Great memories and some great players. Valpo had Thurston and Ball State had a running back by the name of Tim Brown. He went on to play in the NFL. Hopefully,just hopefully we can return to our winning ways. GO VALPO! :thumbsup:

historyman

I'll predict 28-3 WIU.

For the second quarter...................just kidding  ;)

Final score 38-10............................at halftime.

In the third quarter I think WIU doesn't score a touchdown...............................but does kick 3 FG's........................at the end of the third quarter the score will be 47-13.

The score at the end of the game will be WIU  57, Valpo 20.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Just to keep people up to date on WIU.  You can't tell much from it but some of the highlights point to some things to watch for:

MACOMB, Ill. – Western Illinois continued a busy week of practice on Friday (Aug. 15), working out twice and running live plays during the night session at Hanson Field. The Fighting Leathernecks logged eight practices since Monday morning.

With less than two weeks until the season opener against Valparaiso, second year head coach Bob Nielson stated that Friday night's practice was beneficial for the team.

"Overall we got what we wanted out of it (practice)," said Nielson. "We are a little banged up so we cut it a little bit short."

Several players did not suit up for the night practice, allowing younger players to get extra reps in a live game situation.

"I was pleased with a couple of things. I thought we moved the ball with some consistency, which was good. We made some big plays too, which is one of the things we have focused on here during the preseason... to create some more kinds of explosive plays. I think we saw that tonight.

"The disappointing thing is the turnovers (tonight). We made some mistakes with the football, which we need to improve upon. Our defense is capable of making plays. Our secondary is experienced, you saw the way they made breaks on footballs tonight, and the interceptions they came up with were good plays," said Nielson.

WIU opens the 2014 season against Valparaiso at 6 p.m. on Thursday the 28th. Season and single-game tickets are available by calling (309) 298-1190 or purchasing online at www.GoLeathernecks.com.

SCRIMMAGE NOTES: Western's offense, led by quarterback Trenton Norvell, took the opening drive 75 yards on nine plays, capped by a 2-yard touchdown run by Kyle Hammonds... The defense responded on the next two drives, forcing a punt... On the fourth drive, using a short field, Nikko Watson (6-0, 250) accounted for 44 yards on four plays then Devon Moore scored a touchdown from a yard out... David McDaniel and Darren Southwell each recorded an interception on the next two drives... After a rest period, Richard Chungong picked off a pass on the very first play of the drive... Nathan Knuffman kicked a 30-yard field goal... Rhys Gervais needed two plays to cover 75 yards for a touchdown, a 55-yard pass to Cleveland Clark and 20 yards to Nick Schroeder for a TD... Gervais had two more big pass plays on another drive, both to Quadarias Mireles... The offense recorded six plays of 20-plus yards... In addition to the three turnovers, Western's defense also came up with five tackles for a loss, including two sacks... After practice, assistant coach Ted Schlafke completed his ALS Ice Bucket Challenge with the assistance from the quarterbacks.

FWIW - In a separate YouTube segment on their FB website I got some OL sizes:
6-2, 300 --> 6-2, 290 --> 6-2, 290 --> 6-7 320 --> 6-9, 340 --> 6-5 310

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcNH8gW_A_Y&feature=youtu.be

With two backs at 250 and 220, I'd be ready to defend the run. 

covufan

I'm guessing that the 6'7" and 6'9" guys are also on the FG/PAT defending team.  If so, our kickers need to be practicing getting the ball up before the line of scrimage!  Maybe using guys with broomsticks!

VULB#62

The 2014 season kick off is 1 week away.  My prediction:

Valpo gives up one big scoring play in the half midway through the second quarter otherwise the VU defense makes the Leathernecks earn every yard.  Valpo can put together only two sustained drives of more than 10 plays with one ending in a Jake Hutson 10 yard rushing TD.  Valpo 7  WIU 21 at the half. 

Valpo hangs tough at the beginning of the second half, but two WIU scores come late in the third quarter on sustained drives.  The Valpo offense is able to get 8 first downs in the quarter but can't string together another sustained drive.  Valpo 7 WIU 35 at the end of 3. 

WIU's superior size and depth wear the Crusaders down throughout the second half.  Despite that, it isn't until the beginning of the 4th quarter that Valpo finally gives up only its second big scoring play of the game.  Valpo then manages a sustained drive against the WIU reserves in the 4th quarter and scores on a 20 yard throw to Tanner Kuramata with 4 minutes remaining.  Final score Valpo 14 WIU 42

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 21, 2014, 10:18:32 AM
The 2014 season kick off is 1 week away.  My prediction:

Valpo gives up one big scoring play in the half midway through the second quarter otherwise the VU defense makes the Leathernecks earn every yard.  Valpo can put together only two sustained drives of more than 10 plays with one ending in a Jake Hutson 10 yard rushing TD.  Valpo 7  WIU 21 at the half. 

Valpo hangs tough at the beginning of the second half, but two WIU scores come late in the third quarter on sustained drives.  The Valpo offense is able to get 8 first downs in the quarter but can't string together another sustained drive.  Valpo 7 WIU 35 at the end of 3. 

WIU's superior size and depth wear the Crusaders down throughout the second half.  Despite that, it isn't until the beginning of the 4th quarter that Valpo finally gives up only its second big scoring play of the game.  Valpo then manages a sustained drive against the WIU reserves in the 4th quarter and scores on a 20 yard throw to Tanner Kuramata with 4 minutes remaining.  Final score Valpo 14 WIU 42

Nicely done.  I predicted a 28 point loss some time ago! 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

setshot

Now let's see. Valpo picked to finish last in football and in the middle of the pack in M&W soccer. Don't know about volleyball yet but overall Valpo is not looking good.I hope we do better than predicted as I would hate to sing; 'HAIL TO THE PINK AND WHITE ---------" Any comments?

historyman

Quote from: setshot on August 21, 2014, 06:44:32 PMNow let's see. Valpo picked to finish last in football and in the middle of the pack in M&W soccer. Don't know about volleyball yet but overall Valpo is not looking good.I hope we do better than predicted as I would hate to sing; 'HAIL TO THE PINK AND WHITE ---------" Any comments?

Hail to the Pink and White
We have more than cancer to fight.............

HELP!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Nice preview by our coach.  I'm getting pumped for the season!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2gjJd5zSC0

VULB#62

..... And here is the WIU preview from their football website.  They return 17 starters.  WIU beat Butler in 2012 23-15; in 2010 Valpo lost 45-0.  We've got to play well enough to fall somewhere in between those two scores (hopefully closer to the Butler score).  Interesting that Coach Cecchini is 1-0 (as an assistant) against WIU when Lehigh beat the Leathernecks in the FCS playoffs in Macomb.

http://goleathernecks.com/news/2014/8/24/FB_0824143403.aspx

usc4valpo

Necks 49, Saders 13

Better road trip than North Dakota last year!

VULB#62

Just to reiterate what GOVALPO posted on the other FB string, the game is scheduled to be streamed on ESPN3.

usc4valpo

ok, how do you get ESPN3?  I have nver done that

NuPudge

Playing on espn3? I checked their schedule that is posted and there were no listing for us..

vu72

Quote from: NuPudge on August 26, 2014, 11:56:07 AM
Playing on espn3? I checked their schedule that is posted and there were no listing for us..

Google espn3 then hit upcoming events and go to Thursday.  Scroll down and you'll see the game at 7 EST.  You'll need to be registered with your tv provider (dish, time warner etc)

NuPudge

Thanks, I just saw it and "Go Valpo"

VULB#62

I found it by going to the PFL site.

http://www.pioneer-football.org

In the upper right quadrant is a tab for schedule. Click on the camera icon that follows the listing and click on Upcoming.  It doesn't take you anywhere now, but I am hoping at game time (6PM Central), the link will be live.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 26, 2014, 12:24:44 PM
I found it by going to the PFL site.

http://www.pioneer-football.org

In the upper right quadrant is a tab for schedule. Click on the camera icon that follows the listing and click on Upcoming.  It doesn't take you anywhere now, but I am hoping at game time (6PM Central), the link will be live.
And you can watch the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire cricket match going on now and for the next 7 hours there too.  ;D

VULB#62

Game #1 PDF Notes have been published on the Valpo Athletics site:

http://files.streamlinetechnologies.com/valpoathletics/E577199F-433B-44E2-A525-F9F9D523D54F/Wk1WIU.pdf

Some observations on the 2-deep:

OFFENSE
Fred Gladney is back along with Kuramata and Cassara at receiver.  Some talent here.
Both TEs are kinda short (6-0 and 6-1) for the position but carry some weight (220 and 230)
Lehman and Stall are co-first teamers at QB (Cecchini has hinted at alternating them vs. WIU to see how they perform against live competition other than guys in brown jerseys).  That's fair I think.
Our OL goes 305, 285, 255, 265 and 280 -- pretty respectable
Hutson and Bastin are 1 and 2 at RB.  No mention of a FB and Brandon Hall, last years rushing leader, is not on the 2-deep for the first game (could be injured?).  At 5-8, 230 Hall is a load.  Maybe he is the FB to be named later.

DEFENSE
Only 5 true freshman made the 2-deep and two are at DT; the third is a backup safety (the 4th is the 3rd QB and the 5th is a kicker)
Green at MLB is the heart of this defense and we have him for one more year after this.
We are light at OLB (190 and 200)
We will be outweighed DE to DE (only go 235, 245, 275, 240) in this game for sure and probably in most games.  I'm missing Bama Powell already.  Hope these guys (3 out of 4 are returning players) have taken lots of quickness and endurance pills (and lifted massive weights) over the summer. 

In general, good to see the staff is open minded about who plays -- not as much the case previously (especially about who was recruited by which staff)

VULB#62

A player's view (sophomore Charles Carter, 5-10, 215 from Gary and #2 at one OLB position) of the upcoming game in a John Mutka column in the Post-Trib:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/29483442-556/on-campus-charles-carter-praises-vus-pep-in-step.html#.U_0kZUsXKgE

Carter points to a different attitude and more precise coaching.  Good to hear that.