• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #1 - @ WIU

Started by VULB#62, August 11, 2014, 02:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

I'm having no issues with the video feed. And we're making some big stops defensively. I mean WIU scored twice on three possessions, and we stopped their QB sneak on a 4th-and-3 in the second possession. I mean the offense is a tad suspect, but they'll get the kinks worked out.

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on August 27, 2014, 09:13:07 AMReally disappointed because last night at about 12:30AM I checked the ESPN3 schedule and didn't understand why you guys were saying that it would not be available because it was still on the schedule.  Checked again this morning after reading this post and   it was gone.

It's tough to sell to ESPN when one of the teams has 3 wins in 3 years.

VULB#62

Got a message on the screen that they are having "regional" problems.  Run, glad you are seeing it -- I am in WI and am having a really sucky experience with this.  I've sent 4 messages to their  "support" already.  Argh!

VULB#62

Alex Green is back in.   Whew!

Kye Hall (F) is looking good.

Look.  It's pretty clear we are over-matched.  But we are making superior athletes work for what ever they do so far.  We may be a fraction of a second off on coverage, but we are there.  So far, I am frustrated but the kids are where they are supposed to be and that is a major breakthrough!

valporun

I just got that message for the first time, 62. Yeah, we still have some holes, but I'm not going to complain. We are making stops, now to get the offense to be productive in the second half.

ballmom

24-0 at half per Grayson's mom. She's at gMd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valporun

If we could just get one big offensive play or series, it would be nice to see a change in getting everything going in the right direction. Not a bad showing in the first half, just need to get some offense, and not play so overmatched, and we could be in this game in terms of keeping the scoring manageable.

setshot

I can't win for losing. Ole VU down 24-0 at the half and Texas A&M is knocking the Game out of the Cocks by a 45-28 score. At least I have good SEC coverage but it could be a long year for both the Cocks and the Crusaders. :'(

valporun

I could be watching that game too, setshot, but I'm getting Bears preseason football against the Browns on my tv.

valporun

I have the video stream back up for the game. Let's hope for a strong 2nd half. I like what I'm seeing from this team. Hope they build a lot of confidence tonight.

VULB#62

WIU 24 - VU 0

Valpo gives up one big scoring play in the half midway through the second quarter otherwise the VU defense makes the Leathernecks earn every yard.  Valpo can put together only two sustained drives of more than 10 plays with one ending in a Jake Hutson 10 yard rushing TD.  Valpo 7  WIU 21 at the half. 

I was off on my prediction, but we ARE making a legit FCS team work for their yardage.  Run, you are right, we need to get the O going in the second half.  But the Lehman and Staal competition in this game is absolutely needed and will help us going forward.  Along those lines Ben seemed more in control, but Scott didn't have that much time too settle in. It will be interesting to see what Coach C does to open the second half -- we get the ball.  I/we know we are going to lose, but now it is how we lose that will be the major factor.  If the game ended right now, I'd say we are a different ball club from the teams that took the field for the previous 4 years.

Hope Hutson is OK.  Bastin's name has not been mentioned yet at RB I think.  Kye Hall (freshman 6-0, 205# LB) 7 tackles and Mel Graham III 7 tackles too.

Zero penalty yards for Valpo.

valporun

I even have the audio from WIU now. Sounds like they got their issues fixed. I'm happy with my $5.95 investment in this game, even if we are down 24-0.

VULB#62

Todd is my life line.  No video and no WIU audio. 

historyman

I think VU is missing Hoffman's arm much more than the Crusaders thought. Hopefully the coaching staff will get this rectified.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valporun

I think the competition at QB was a bad idea, as neither Lehman or Stoll have looked comfortable, first game jitters or whatever.

VULB#62

Could be Historyman.

Just gave up a second half BIG play TD.  But according to Todd the coverage was there but just couldn't stop it.

Hoping that WIU now uses this game to vet their second stringers.  If we continue to play our first line guys we might get a score and we might stop a drive or two.

valporun

The floodgates have opened...

vu72

I asked for a refund and they agreed.   :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: valporun on August 28, 2014, 08:27:28 PM
I think the competition at QB was a bad idea, as neither Lehman or Stoll have looked comfortable, first game jitters or whatever.

I disagree on that.  We need to know how these two kids will react in a legit game.  Unfortunately in D-I you can't scrimmage an opponent like in D-III. So this is a sacrifice game to find our QB.

Brandon Hall seems to be the horse we need to ride in the backfield. Neither QB's passes are precise enough.

VULB#62

38-0 in the middle of the 3rd is the score we are used to seeing in the middle of the SECOND quarter.

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 28, 2014, 08:41:43 PM
38-0 in the middle of the 3rd is the score we are used to seeing in the middle of the SECOND quarter.

Come on. Carlson lost his first game at WIU 45-0. How can you say this team is playing better?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

FWIW - In the 4th QTR at Campbell, Charlotte (FBS) is ahead 27-9.   Looks like Campbell will not be the automatic win as in the last 3000 years.

valporun

Until the second half got going, the defense made some big stops. I think the biggest stop the defense made in the second half was resembling the offense of the entire game?

valporun

TOUCHDOWN!!! Valpo runs it in from the 2, FINALLY something for the offense. Brandon Hall on the 2-yard scurry. 45-6, as the PAT was blocked.

VULB#62

Quote from: historyman on August 28, 2014, 08:50:30 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on August 28, 2014, 08:41:43 PM

Come on. Carlson lost his first game at WIU 45-0. How can you say this team is playing better?

To me it is not the score.  It is the HOW the game plays out.  We may lose 48-0 or 56-0 (adjusted for the previous post) but if the kids don't give up multiple big plays to open recovers or are not in a position to stop 76 yard runs, we are a different team.  Face it, we are overmatched (their OL averages >300 lbs.).  Carlson's teams caved in early.  This team (Carlson's players) is not caving in (based on Todd's commentary).  Keep in mind that WIU is being mentioned as one of the best Defenses in FCS. 

We will know much much more next Saturday v. St. Joe's.  I will be there.  [You have to remember what my Image is.  100% full.]