• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #1 - @ WIU

Started by VULB#62, August 11, 2014, 02:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Good to see Hall get rewarded for all his success and hard work in the backfield.

Now as far as the PAT. Let's give Newman a chance at getting the kick away.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valporun

The defense played well in the first half, then the floodgates opened out of the locker room for the second half, and our defense hid somewhere.

Our offense needed less of the bounce around with the QBs, and more stick with one as the starter, and if he was playing horribly, then bring in the backup, not do the every other series or quarter switch at QB. Whichever one you want playing has to learn the hard way, and tonight I don't think I saw that because neither QB was looking like the starter for the season.

usc4valpo

It is very hard to evaluate the Crusaders after playing a scholarship team, especially one from the Valley.  But St. Joe should be winnable.

VUDad

Defensive coverage was much better, but the biggest challenge of the night was basic tackling. Would've liked to see more pressure on their QB--but he was pretty good at picking us up. Special teams played okay, and had none of the miscues so common before. On offense, can't imagine the coach learned much other than Hall can pick up reliable short gains. Lehman played nearly the whole game, but didn't get us downfield except for one long drive in Q4 and had an int--Stahl looked decent, but only played two real series in Q2. Kuramata played well. Gladney was too quiet and needs the ball more. Fewer mistakes though, so some reason for optimism.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 28, 2014, 09:18:02 PM
It is very hard to evaluate the Crusaders after playing a scholarship team, especially one from the Valley.  But St. Joe should be winnable.

I agree.  Even the championship team of 2003, led by David Macchi, lost their opener to Murray State 34-0.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

On a bright note, I was pleased by the performance of Brandon Hall, who gets credit for the first touchdown of the year and was our leading rusher, averaging 4.6 yds for his 14 runs against perhaps the toughest defense he will see this year.

VULB#62

I just wish I could have seen the game I paid for.  I had to rely on Todd's descriptions and he generally was positive and encouraging.  I'll see for myself next Saturday if this team is going to break the mold that was cast for the past 4 years.

VUDad

The big hope coming out of last nights game: we didn't give the game away as has happened so many times over the previous few years. St Joe will be a better read on this years team.

historyman

Quote from: VUDad on August 29, 2014, 11:04:41 AM
The big hope coming out of last nights game: we didn't give the game away as has happened so many times over the previous few years. St Joe will be a better read on this years team.

VU let WIU get out to a 45-0 lead. Just because there were fewer big plays given up doesn't mean Valpo didn't give the game away. If you can't stop the opposition's drives 25-30% of the time that is still giving up the game.

I really hope they turn around and beat St Joe. That would truly make me feel that some progress has been made. But based on last night's performance against the Leathernecks I saw little progress being made from the Carlson era.

I will agree that the Brandon Hall performance was a huge positive for VU.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUDad

To be more specific--in football, "giving away the game" happens when a team turns the ball over that results in points. No pic-sixes last night, no fumbles lost, blocked punts, or punt/kick returns for TDs. The coach will be pleased with progress in this area.

VULB#62

"Giving the game away" is defined for me as stupid penalties at critical moments, multiple fumbles and dumb interceptions, blown coverages that result in easy 60 yard TDs.  As far as I could see, on the TD passes and long passes given up the receivers were covered.  The receivers just made the plays.  We fumbled once and retained possession.  We had only 2 penalties all game for 10 yards.  We threw one INT and that was under pressure and in an attempt to throw the ball out of bounds but without enough steam on it (the decision was the right one -- the execution was the issue).  So I agree with VUDad.  We made WIU earn their yardage more in this game than in any game in the past 4 years.  We were just overmatched, plain and simple, but we knew that going in.

Lets see how our brethren do on Saturday vs. scholarship programs:

Morehead @ Richmond
Jacksonville @ SE Louisiana

BTW Campbell lost to Charlotte 33 -9 on Mike Minter's 2nd year.

usc4valpo

Again, Valpo is one of 2 ham and egger games for WIU.  Drake is the other - why WIU faces 2 Pioneer teams is uncertain and certainly weak on their part.  It is hard to evaluate Valpo's team based on this mismatch.  It is 2 different levels of competition.  It is like comparing the quality of beer between Buckhorn and Anchor Steam when you have to pay more for the latter and get a better product.

I will say this - I liked Cecchini's post game comments.  He seems very enthusiastic and confident on what is going on.  My first impression is that he is likeable and will get buy in from his players on the direction of this football program.

We have 2 ham and eggers coming up with St. Joe and William Jewell, so let's see what was learned and move forward and win.

As for the QB performance - I would not get into the "how much we miss Hoffman" discussion.  He raked yards, but led the team to 3 wins in three seasons, and was a key contributor to the high turnover rate.   It is also not fair for the guys on the current team.

valpo64

I particularly agree with your last comment on QB's, usc.  This is a new era, forget the past and let's bolster the new QB, whoever the final winner is.  One game under Coach C and some still want to talk about last year's QB?   GO VALPO!

usc4valpo

Not just Coach C, but the new and improved Coach C!

VULB#62

Quote from: valpo64 on August 29, 2014, 06:27:44 PM
I particularly agree with your last comment on QB's, usc.  This is a new era, forget the past and let's bolster the new QB, whoever the final winner is.  One game under Coach C and some still want to talk about last year's QB?   GO VALPO!

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 29, 2014, 05:29:20 PM
As for the QB performance - I would not get into the "how much we miss Hoffman" discussion.  He raked yards, but led the team to 3 wins in three seasons, and was a key contributor to the high turnover rate.   It is also not fair for the guys on the current team.

Balanced offenses [with good coaching] can win with a QB who manages the game, executes basic plays and doesn't make drive ending mistakes.  We may have a manager QB this season rather than a light-up-the-scoreboard QB.  So what.  It's all about the winning not the stats, and we have to go with the players we have. So if we can bring more play makers into the equation rather than depend on one guy, we might actually be in a better position to keep games close and win some.

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 29, 2014, 07:34:59 PMBalanced offenses [with good coaching] can win with a QB who manages the game, executes basic plays and doesn't make drive ending mistakes.  We may have a manager QB this season rather than a light-up-the-scoreboard QB.  So what.  It's all about the winning not the stats, and we have to go with the players we have. So if we can bring more play makers into the equation rather than depend on one guy, we might actually be in a better position to keep games close and win some.

A very good summation of what could work for Valpo. I only used Hoffman as a reference point because we can remember his play clearly. It was evident that neither Lehman or Staal played to the standard that they needed to to win a game against opponents such as St Joe, William Jewell, Davidson or even Campbell.

VULB#62

Ah, Campbell.  They are gonna be good this year. This year they were  only down 6-3 at the half and lost 33-9.  Last year they lost to UNC Charlotte (FBS - Conference USA) 52-7.

usc4valpo

Quote from: historyman on August 29, 2014, 07:46:42 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on August 29, 2014, 07:34:59 PMBalanced offenses [with good coaching] can win with a QB who manages the game, executes basic plays and doesn't make drive ending mistakes. We may have a manager QB this season rather than a light-up-the-scoreboard QB. So what. It's all about the winning not the stats, and we have to go with the players we have. So if we can bring more play makers into the equation rather than depend on one guy, we might actually be in a better position to keep games close and win some.
A very good summation of what could work for Valpo. I only used Hoffman as a reference point because we can remember his play clearly. It was evident that neither Lehman or Staal played to the standard that they needed to to win a game against opponents such as St Joe, William Jewell, Davidson or even Campbell.
Dude, again don't base these guys on the WIU game.  Lehman had no sacks, and was pressured early and often.

Hoffman was ok, but not great - yeah he had yards but so do many QBs in CFB these days.  He also had turnovers, erratic performance tendencies, many 3 and outs, pick 6's, and, oh yes, 3 wins in 3 seasons.

Give these new guys a chance.  We have ham and eggers coming up on the schedule, let's see what happens.

valpotx

Let's not glorify Hoffman.  He was not that great.  He racked up yards because we had so many possessions, with our defense giving up so many quick points.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Comparative scores are pretty irrelevant and don't prove much.  However, NDSU beating (FBS-Big 12) Iowa State Saturday, and the article linked below, does add some credence to the fact that the MVFC is a stong FCS conference.  The fact that WIU plays with these boys gives them some pretty decent cred. Our loss on Thursday within the boundaries of what most of us were hoping for (not 69-10 or 59-0, or 77-13) shows some glimmer of improvement.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/08/30/north-dakota-state-bison-fcs-win-streak-iowa-state/14869879/

It will be interesting to follow WIU in the next two weeks.  They go to Madison to play a Badger team that lost to LSU and then play Drake at home.

Let's also factor in some other FCS vs. PFL results:

Richmond (CAA) 55 - Morehead 10
SW Louisiana (Southland) 44 - Jacksonville 3

Sacred Heart (NEC) 28 - Marist 7

Another interesting score is NAIA Grand View 45 -22 over Drake.  It should be noted that Grand View was the NAIA national champion in their division last season.

Then there are the Davison and Stetson wins.   :-[

Davidson 56 - College of Faith 0
"Davidson football hopes to break a 12-game losing streak Saturday against a team that doesn't have a stadium, classrooms or even a campus."
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/08/29/5138201/college-of-faith-hoping-to-extend.html#.VAM010sXKgE#storylink=cpy

Stetson 35 - Warner (NAIA 2nd season of football)  16 (They lost to Stetson last season in a battle of first year programs 31-3)

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 31, 2014, 10:05:52 AM
It will be interesting to follow WIU in the next two weeks.  They go to Madison to play a Badger team that lost to LSU and then play Drake at home.

Let's also factor in some other FCS vs. PFL results:

Richmond (CAA) 55 - Morehead 10
SW Louisiana (Southland) 44 - Jacksonville 3

[/b]

Final follow-up on these past scores:  SW Louisiana is the #3 team in FCS; Richmond is #17.  WIU R/V.  Others of common interest:  YSU is #23 after losing to Illinois 17-28 and University of San Diego received 1 vote in the  Sports Network poll.  They are 0-0 right now.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on September 05, 2014, 12:52:22 AM
Davidson's stellar opponent, College of Faith, impresses again:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11468858/tusculum-sets-ncaa-record-minus-100-total-yards-allowed

Well, they don't call it College of Faith for nothing. Their fans will have to have more faith then Valpo fans that they can eventually rebound from these huge lopsided losses.

What's really amazing is that COF with all those awful stats only gave up 26 more points than Valpo did last Thursday.

Of course if there is a team that COF could some how manage to stay close to in score and COF was able to some how beat that team on a last second hail Mary scoring play by leaping over his defender into the end zone and catching the winning pass would that not be a leap of faith?

Well Valpo needs to take that kind of leap of faith in themselves as a team and beat the crap out of the St Joe Pumas in what looks like to be our last game for the foreseeable future against this naggingly tough team.

BEAT THE PUMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Hard to save faith with a performance like that. 

The College of Faith is hoping for a team-like substance, and evidence of a running game unseen.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa