• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #2 - St. Joe's Pumas

Started by VULB#62, August 29, 2014, 10:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

That makes sense -- NEC, Patriot and Ivy are good matchups.  USD and Butler played Harvard and Dartmouth in 2012 and look at the games this year: USD-Princeton, JU - Penn).  Still think we will see at least one MVFC or Big Sky opponent each year.

Dave_2010

Affirmative...he also said that the guarantee games are going nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

Actually, I think it's a good thing to face opponents in similar situations.

valporun

It is good to face opponents in the same situation as us. We should only face scholarship programs in years where we need a challenge for a very veteran/experienced team. Too often we've faced the guarantee games with a young, inexperienced team. That gets a lot of players time on the field, but not a good experience at seeing how good they can play, or keep the opponent out of the end zone.

vu72

Looks like we are already facing injury issues.  Jake is out for the St. Joe game.

Notes: St. Joseph's leads the all-time series 35-28-2. Butler (72) is the only program Valparaiso has faced more on the gridiron. ... Valparaiso starting running back Jake Hutson is expected to be sidelined with a knee injury while top reserves Brandon Hall (ankle) and Grayson Bastin (illness) are both questionable. ... The Crusaders are 48-43-2 all-time in home openers. Valparaiso's last home opening win was on Sept. 13, 2008 when it beat Concordia (Wis.) 34-10. -- Paul Oren
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Oddly, that is the position (RB) that Coach C cited going into the season as the one with the greatest depth.  That hurts as Lehman and Staal need a strong running attack to open up their passing game.  We may see some true freshmen lining up in the backfield.  I hope we don't have to rely totally on the passing game or we will lose.  Say what you will about Hoffman's singular dimension, he had the skills to operate a pass-heavy offense.  I don't think Ben or Scott are at that level yet.

VUDad

If the running game isn't there, we better figure out how to consistently throw more than the short dump passes. WIU figured out they could lay back and keep the ball in front of them--the same thing every opponent has done for the past few years.

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 05, 2014, 10:29:48 AMSay what you will about Hoffman's singular dimension, he had the skills to operate a pass-heavy offense.  I don't think Ben or Scott are at that level yet.

Ah haaaa! So at least you agree that Hoffman had a definite skill we could have used this year and one we have not replaced. Yet!

I better change my score prediction from 44-39 to 44-26.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Quote from: historyman on September 05, 2014, 01:56:41 PM

Ah haaaa! So at least you agree that Hoffman had a definite skill we could have used this year and one we have not replaced. Yet!

Whoa, Historyman.  I think you have me confused with another poster.  Pure passing ? -- never questioned that (except for inopportune TOs, maybe, but all passers have that as a monkey).  I don't think I ever posted a critical comment about him specifically in three years.  I was critical of the offensive system he was playing in and wanted a better rushing attack that was not predicable and created more of a balanced attack.  Aside from that, I think we can all agree that Ben and Scott do not have the years of passing experience that Eric developed in his three years.  But they are also in a new system, and who knows, maybe Eric would struggle at first as well.  What we don't see as fans is what the offensive system demands in terms of reads and progressions or the new route trees that have been put in place by the new staff.  This is one of the things that the OOC schedule is for -- shaking out who will be the starters once we enter the PFL season.  BTW, based only on what i've heard on this forum, Scott is reported to have the arm and velocity to fill that pure passer role.  So time (and game situation) will tell. 

But the war on Saturday must be won in the trenches.  If our front 7 can contain the SJC running attack and our secondary can keep balls in front of them we stand a chance. And if our OL can help us run the ball enough to give our inexperienced QBs a chance to connect on some passes without throwing pics, we stand an even better chance.

GO VALPO!

valpotx

It looks like this game is one of 4 that I get to watch on the HLN!
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on September 06, 2014, 12:51:12 AM
It looks like this game is one of 4 that I get to watch on the HLN!

Cool. I think I'd rather stay at home and flip around the channels while watching the game on the computer just in case SJC/Valpo doesn't turn out to be as exciting as the other college football games that will be on at the same time.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

What other games are on this afternoon? :-)  Do tell.

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 06, 2014, 10:06:18 AM
What other games are on this afternoon? :-)  Do tell.

Lots of college football games this afternoon but that's not what I meant. St.Joe plays at Valpo at 7:00 p.m. CT tonight. Which game would you want to watch?

vu72

forecast show zero rain, high 60's and light winds.  Should be perfect for football!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

My God. Goes on 4th and 5 then goes on 4th and 7 but doesn't go on 4th and 2. Still some issues but you can tell this is no Dale Carlson team.

Oh well, at least they got points.

Somebody tell that entrepreneur that if he wants to sell pretzels on Lincolnway that the first thing he should do is learn to pronounce the name of the town you're trying to sell pretzels in!!!!!!!!!!!

historyman

You knew SJC was going to improve their offense and respond to the Crusaders emotional first drive.

Valpo needs to really stiffen up the run defense.

historyman

So far VU has a lot of egg on their face from this ham and egger game.

historyman

I have a feeling Valpo will get blown out in the 3rd quarter by the Pumas. They didn't make good adjustments against Western Illinois and their defense was susceptible often in the 3rd quarter of that game.

historyman

It may just be me but there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm on the VU sideline during this big 3rd quarter drive.

EDIT: Big score on the running of Bastin and receiving of Kuramata. Good arm by Lehman. Hope we can make a comeback. That would be great to see. Please make me look stupid. I wanna beat St Joe so bad!

usc4valpo

Cripe, disappointing.  How do we keep losing to teams like this? 

I hope these guys refresh from their 2 week layoff and get ready to win in KC.   

historyman

It starts with Todd and I'm sure we'll see plenty of excuses from this board but the bottom line is Valpo had very close games with SJC the last 2 years and now the Crusaders get beat by 21 to a once rivalry team. The season is certainly not over but unless a big turn around is made this year then this team is most likely to end up winless.

This team is now off to a worse start then any Dale Carlson team ever started. That's a fact.

usc4valpo

Yes, but Carlson left Cecchini with this mess too.  I know it is Cecchini's mess now, and it will certainly take time to fix this.  We do not have a lot of talent, and by watching the game, it seems to me that we are a rather petite team.

Todd was concerned about senior attitude with this mess.  I hope they give this guy a chance.  Again, I thought 4 wins would exceed expectations, and for once I may be correct.

VUDad

Hope the coach is willing to make changes. Without some big ones, the team will remain stuck. A very winnable game was lost.

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 06, 2014, 10:21:45 PMYes, but Carlson left Cecchini with this mess too.
Did not Carlson inherit a mess from Adams?

Just because Adams didn't use Joel Osteen quotes does not mean the situation was not the same or worse.

I really didn't think it would be you, usc, that would start with the excuses. It's all these excuses that lets the coach off the hook. Valpo fans have to keep someone accountable for the losses that just keep piling up.

Pgmado

Sounds like historyman needs to take a step back from the ledge.