• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bye Week and Game #3 @ William Jewell

Started by VULB#62, September 07, 2014, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

62- In reality, if Valpo goes 4-8, they will have exceeded expectations.  That would be a drastic improvement over the Osteen years.  Campbell will be more difficult this year.

bbtds

Just for usc

They tried to explain it away as a baptism but the beverages had their own "water-into-wine" effect on the boys that day and they forgot the baptizee.

usc4valpo

this was most outstanding.  I appreciate the humor. thanks.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 15, 2014, 09:33:27 PM
62- In reality, if Valpo goes 4-8, they will have exceeded expectations.  That would be a drastic improvement over the Osteen years.  Campbell will be more difficult this year.

If we at win WJC and get our heads straightened out, Mo Baptist and Davidson are within grasp (3-9) but are not sure things.  Campbell, Marist and maybe Drake are BIG stretches as possible candidates for one surprise upset for a fourth win.  That's all I am saying.  But first things first - WJC has go to go down or the road to even one win becomes very bumpy and almost vertical.  And if it gets to that point, we can only hope for more closely competitive games as consolation prizes.

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on September 15, 2014, 09:13:34 PM
It does scare me that the WJC defense is going to throw the kitchen sink at Valpo while VU is still searching to find more options than just a short passing game on offense. It will again come down to both the offensive and defensive lines and getting the running game going.

There is much more faith in me that WJC's Cook, who is looking to find a way to breakout within WJC's offense for a big yardage game, will be handled by Valpo's improving linebackers. Again the key will be the defensive line.

I know one thing. William Jewell will be warned not to let their J's in WJC be exposed but also their milk cow/"dairy air" backgrounds.

Let's win this one for the Zipper!

Also let's beat out the frustrations of the previous 10 or so years and nail down the game throughout. Once you have a good series don't let up!!!!!!

For Valpo, it will always come down to the bulls up front on both sides of the ball.  Guys like Bama Powell (6-4, 305) need to be recruited and retained on D and we need to strive for 285+ and strong and mean from T to T on O. Without that, great backs, QBs and linebackers and DBs become average.

NuPudge

Do anyone know if the game will be steam and if so please provide a link..

Thank

bbtds

Quote from: NuPudge on September 17, 2014, 06:08:34 AM
Do anyone know if the game will be steam and if so please provide a link..

Thank

http://www.jewellcardinals.com/watch/

This is all I could find. Apparently the Valpo at WJC game will show for free at this website. It starts at 12:30 p.m. CT for the 1:00 p.m. game. 9/20/2014 Saturday

http://www.jewellcardinals.com/documents/2013/10/12/Generic_Travel_Packet2.pdf?tab=visitingteaminformationguide

This website could be helpful for those going to the game. Although it seems no specific BBQ restaurants in Liberty.

I see no evidence that the broadcast is steam powered.  ;D

VULB#62

Spot on BBTDS.  Noted that the game will be streamed in my preview on Monday.  Hope it is better quality than what WIU was feeding.

VULB#62

The official game preview is on the Valpo site.  I checked the two-deep and did not see much in the way of changes.  Basically the same 44 with just a little movement, but not much. Ben Lehman is the  #1 QB and Scott Staal is the back-up (that was mentioned in the Dave Cecchini interview with Todd earlier this week).

http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2014-15/13895/football-heads-to-show-me-state-for-showdown-with-william-jewell/#.VBnHBksXKgE

From the preview:

Scouting William Jewell: The Cardinals welcome Valparaiso to town as the Crusaders aim for their first win in the state of Missouri since 1969. WJC's win over Southwest Baptist University in Week 1 snapped its nine-game losing streak at Greene Stadium. William Jewell's offense is powered by junior running back Thomas Cook. A highly-elusive, athletic back, Cook burned the Brown and Gold in last season's game at Brown Field as he recorded three touchdowns in addition to 175 rushing yards on 22 carries. Redshirt senior DJ Balazs is listed atop the WJC two-deep at quarterback. He had just one pass attempt versus Valpo last year - and it was picked off by Alex Grask. The Cardinals have rotated in three QBs in their first two games, so if Balazs falters early, don't be surprised to see Colby Bowles or Nick West receive some snaps under center.

While the William Jewell defense has yet to assemble a signature game, it does boast several impressive numbers. In just two games, the Cardinal D has accumulated 17 tackles for a loss, eight sacks, and forced six fumbles - four of which were recovered. Jimmy DeStefano and Marquis Moye are on their way to strong campaigns. DeStefano has already tallied 26 tackles (three for a loss), a pair of sacks, an interception, and a fumble recovery. He led the WJC defense with 12 tackles, including two for a loss, last season at Valpo. Moye, a sophomore, has registered three sacks for a total of 28 yards thus far.

On special teams, Brandon Womack is 2-for-3 on extra points and converted his only FG attempt - a 27-yarder - in the second quarter of the Southwest Baptist contest. Junior Zane Kitchell has managed the punting duties for William Jewell. Kitchell averages 37.6 yards per boot and has pinned opponents inside their own 20-yard line three times in 14 punts. Cook pulls double duty on kickoff and punt returns. His 90-yard, fourth quarter TD return in Week 1 came right after Southwest Baptist had taken a 26-22 lead over the Cardinals.

VULB#62

Here is a YouTube of the WJC post game show following their loss to Colorado School of Mines. 

Some interesting information heading into the game this Saturday.  They are very proud of their defense and as Coach Cecchini mentioned in his All-Access show, they come after you as soon as you step out of the locker room.  Our OL will be under a lot of pressure to protect Ben and open holes for Jake, Brandon and Grayson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDpul5LSJ8E

Thanks to Valpochgo for finding it.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 18, 2014, 08:56:17 AM
Here is a YouTube of the WJC post game show following their loss to Colorado School of Mines. 

Some interesting information heading into the game this Saturday.  They are very proud of their defense and as Coach Cecchini mentioned in his All-Access show, they come after you as soon as you step out of the locker room.  Our OL will be under a lot of pressure to protect Ben and open holes for Jake, Brandon and Grayson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDpul5LSJ8E

Thanks to Valpochgo for finding it.

Yikes, I hope our offensive coaches figure out a way to handle and get around their aggressive D or we are dead meat in KC. And that ain't a good thing.

Side Note: Frank and Jesse James father, Robert James, was a Baptist minister and one of the co-founders of WJC.

Matthew 5:45

VULB#62

I have been avoiding making a prediction so far.  But the players have boarded their busses, they will do a run through this afternoon and the KO is tomorrow.  Can't push it off any longer.  WJC scares me, but here goes.

VALPO WINS IF:
DEFENSE – The front 7 contains Cook and holds him under 100 yards for the game.  WJC is forced into more passing by their 3 rotating QBs and the secondary produces at least 1 pic.  No big dispiriting big gainers are allowed.

OFFENSE -- The OL responds to the WJC pressure defense and gives Ben time to throw and our backs holes to break into the secondary.  The coaches use screens and draws and swing passes to backs out of the backfield to neutralize the pressure.  The TE has been nonexistent so far.  Quick dumps to the TE into areas vacated by blitzers could be a factor.  The O must score TDs inside the 10.

SPECIAL TEAMS – Punt and KO coverage smother the WJC return game and contain Cook.  Punts and KOs are directed away from Cook.

WILLIAM JEWEL WINS IF:
DEFENSE – Their pressure puts Valpo in numerous 3rd and long situations that kill drives.  They sack Ben more than 3 times.  They hold the Valpo RB committee (Jake, Brandon and Grayson) to a combined 120 yards.

OFFENSE – Cook runs for 120+ yards.  They break 2 big gainers for TDs.

SPECIAL TEAMS – Cook's returns put WJC in good field position (KOs past the  WJC 35; Punt returns inside the VU half)

CONCLUSION:
Valpo has had two weeks to get their heads on straight and one week to prepare for WJC.  Based on the WJC Coaches show, some of their starters may be banged up.  The game will come down to whether the VU OL can handle the WJC defensive pressure and the VU front 7 can contain Cook.  Jake is healthy and the offense has added some twists to help the rushing attack control the ball better on the ground.  This one goes into the 4th quarter with Valpo squeaking out a 24-21 win.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

not an embed situation.

(unlike tonight, of course.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

After Valpo "smokes" Jewell, celebrate the victory with some quality dining

www.jackstackbbq.com/jack-stack-freight-house.aspx

go Saders!

valpotx

Ridiculous start.  Defense did well to get two 3 and outs, only to rough the punter on the first one, and then gets faked on the next punt for a long pass...
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on September 20, 2014, 01:08:47 PM
Ridiculous start.  Defense did well to get two 3 and outs, only to rough the punter on the first one, and then gets faked on the next punt for a long pass...

I do hope we get the offense on the field this quarter.

It's a good thing we had a bye week so that we didn't lose that week.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd they get a 4th down conversion
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

HOORAY! Our offense is on the field in the 1st quarter!!!!!

bbtds

Push 'em back on that line! Just don't grab the wrong part of the uniform.

valpotx

Good offensive possession to get it to 13-7.  I like the no huddle.  Hopefully we get another offensive possession...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Offense went right down the field on the ground.

bbtds

Well prepared on first drive! Kept coming at 'em hard and fast. Now the key is not not let up on the D by getting our D off the field quickly too.