• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #4 @ Campbell Camels

Started by VULB#62, September 20, 2014, 04:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Campbell has a bye this weekend to recuperate from a tough OOC schedule. 
PREVIOUS CAMPBELL SCORES:

UNC Charlotte 33  Campbell 9   Charlotte is FBS -- Conference USA

@ Appalachian State 66 - Campbell 0  ASU is FBS -- Sunbelt Conference

@ Charleston Southern 34  Campbell 10  CSU is FCS scholarship -- Big South Conference.

No easy opponents here.

We are coming off our first OOC win since 2009.  Hope none of our kids are banged up. 

usc4valpo

BTW, congrats on an overall outstanding week for the Pioneer Conference!

VUDad

If Valpo's defense continues to tackle as well as they did at WJC, we have a good shot at the improved Campbell team--but we need faster pressure so the opposing QB has less time to find a receiver. Send Cotton with Guilford every time we sniff pass--they looked strong at WJC. Our offense, on the other hand, needs figure out how to throw the ball like teams are doing against us, or it'll be a long PFL season. At WJC, the O bright spots were Bastin for yards and Hall for short scores. Campbell will be close; 28-24 Valpo because we have the one element we never typically play with--Confidence.

usc4valpo

31-27 Campbell over the Saders.  Valpo is much improved; but from what I see Campbell has made even more improvement.

I see wins over Mo Baptist, Roger Marist and John Davidson to prognosticate the 4 win season.

VULB#62

That's pretty accurate, I'm thinking USC.  Depending on how good the Campbell run defense is, it might be 31 - 17. 

valpotx

I see a win.  Campbell will be trying too hard to beat a team that has their number:

Valpo 24
Campbell 21
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

We've not followed up a win with a win since 2007 (when we were 5-6 under Stacy Adams and beat Butler for the last time).  Until we can demonstrate that we've shaken our old habits, I'll stay conservative. 

It's so hard to measure Campbell because of the level of competition they had in OOC games.  Closest might be their last game against Charleston Southern, an FCS team (the other two opponents were FBS).  Campbell led at the half 10-7, then gave up 4 unanswered TDs in the second half.

CAMPBELL                              CSU
11                  1st Downs                18
223                Tot. OFF.                 405
57                  OFF Plays                  61
30/80             Rushes/yds            42/243
13/27/143/1  Att/Comp/Yds Int    9/19/162/0
0                     Sacks by                 2
2/0                Fumbles/Lost          1/0

So far they have scored 19 points in three games and given up 133  to 2 FBS and an FCS.  Valpo has scored 46 and given up 106 to an FCS and 2 D-IIs.

CAMPBELL LEADERS
Record: 0-3   Home: 0-1   Away: 0-2   Neutral: 0-0   Conf: 0-0

Passing
No.   Player                   GP   CMP-ATT-INT   PCT            YDS       TD            Long        AVG/G
2    Dakota Wolf.........    3     33-61-4             54.1%            315        2           44            105.0
7    David Salmon........ 3     12-37-1            32.4%               98        0          15                32.7
8    Riley Gallaher......    1       0-3-1                 .0%                0        0            0                0.0

Rushing
No.   Player                        GP   Att   Gain     Loss       Net   AVG   Td   Long   AVG/G

33    Keith Goss..........         3       21    74          4           70    3.3    0    20         23.3
11    DeShawn Jones.......     3       20    77          9           68    3.4    0    15         22.7

2      Dakota Wolf.........        3       27    108        50          58    2.1    0    17        19.3
34    Dalton Dillon.......         2        1     30          0           30    30.0    0    30       15.0

usc4valpo

62 - when you agree with me, there are problems...

VULB#62

Actually, I am revising my agreement.  After putting together the stats below, I'm thinking that 31 points for Campbell is too high.  We know Dakota Wolf from last year.  Granted, they have faced bigger/better teams in OOC games, but  no one jumps out among their leaders in rushing.  So I'll agree with you down to 24-17 Campbell.  I do so feeling crappy that I can't flip that to a VU 24.  Had we been more competitive against St. Joe's and better yet if we had won  AND had we had a better first half against WJC, I might have predicted a close win.  We're still finding out who we are and there is plenty room for improvement in all facets of the Crusader game.

I'd love to see 4 wins in a row over the Camels.  It is possible but, IMO, not that probable.

usc4valpo

The mmm-mmm-good express is an 8 1/2 pt favorite over the Saders, according to the Sagarin ratings.  I think the fighting Lawrence of Arabia transportation system are due for a win.

But - the Saders will beat Marist and Mo Baptist to get their first 2 game winning streak since????

VULB#62

Nah, we will beat the spread (but lose by 7).  The date you're looking for is 2007.

Here's trhe Monday preview from Coach Cecchini and Todd:

Valpo Football Preview 9|22|14

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 20, 2014, 04:44:42 PMUNC Charlotte 33  Campbell 9   Charlotte is FBS -- Conference USA

Charlotte is still an Independent in FCS.  I believe they in Conference USA for other sports.  They are FCS scholarship, though.  Playing two FCS scholarship teams, and one FBS (just moved up this year to FBS) is impressive.  Not sure I'd want Valpo to have three games like that.

This game will be close. 

Valpo        33
Campbell    30

VULB#62

You're right on the independent status -- UNC-C is not listed in Conference USA's FB standings.  I checked their schedule and they are playing essentially an FCS scholarship schedule.  Their press guide says this is the last season in FCS -- they are F/T Con-USA football in 2015

In his preview interview Coach Cecchini compared Campbell's OOC schedule to us playing WIU three weeks in row.  Can't argue with that rationale too much.

VULB#62

Minter and the Camels are focusing on D.  Here are some excerpts from a CU release:

Minter echoed the sentiments that the defense is prepared for a big step forward this season .

"Last year we installed a new defensive scheme in the offseason and everything took a little bit of time to click, but through spring ball and over the summer with these guys coming in for training camp, everything looks a lot better. Our coverage is better, we aren't giving up the big plays that we have in the past and a lot of that stems from the guys like Matt (Faris) who have picked up this system in its second year."

"We were in the bottom tier of defenses in the FCS last year," Minter continued. "We will be in the top tier this year. It starts up front with our defensive line. Those are the guys who are keeping Matt free to roam around and make plays. You're going to see a defense that can run with a lot more speed with more athletes on the field, and you'll see 11 guys who are swarming to the football. If you force turnovers, you win games, so we have to be a defense that can make that happen."

78crusader

I don't like this game for us since we've beaten these guys 3 times in a row and they are sick of losing to us.  They will be motivated.

Paul

VULB#62

Yep.  And they have had a bye week to prepare for us.

VULB#62

The game video will be streamed.  5PM CST Kick-off

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/live/9106

usc4valpo

I will at the ISU-Baylor game.  Should be a lot of scoring - for the Bears.  I will also pursue in the art of tailgating.

valpotx

Quote from: 78crusader on September 24, 2014, 11:25:01 AM
I don't like this game for us since we've beaten these guys 3 times in a row and they are sick of losing to us.  They will be motivated.

Paul

We've lost to several teams 4-5+ times in a row, and are sick of losing to them, with extra motivation to beat each this year.  Does that mean we beat each of those teams? ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on September 24, 2014, 04:14:25 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on September 24, 2014, 11:25:01 AM

Paul

We've lost to several teams 4-5+ times in a row, and are sick of losing to them, with extra motivation to beat each this year.  Does that mean we beat each of those teams? ;)

Our team's real motivation was actually this guy

er, I mean this guy

Yes, that is the US Congress.

usc4valpo

vu72

Here is Coach Minter's analysis of the game.  Their show goes quite a bit further then Todd's weekly interview.  Nicely done. It is "This week in Campbell football"

This will be a very good and tough challenge.

http://www.gocamels.com/sports/fball/index
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

The team was forced to change travel plans yesterday due to the Chicago FAA facility fire.  Instead of flying out of the chicago area, they had to make impromtu arrangements and flew out of South Bend.  They got to Buies Creek much later than planned (unloading their buses in the dark)  and had to scrap thier normal Friday afternoon on-field workout and last minute adjustments.  Changes to set routines can have a disruptive impact on player mindsets.  Let's hope that this bit of adversity feeds into greater resolve for tonight's game.  GO VALPO.

https://www.facebook.com/ValpoFootball

valpotx

We're playing pretty well overall, but our kickoff coverage has been terrible!  I have watched our outside contain guy go inside of his lane twice now, leading to 40-50 yard returns
"Don't mess with Texas"