• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Butler Coach - Medical Leave

Started by IndyValpo, October 02, 2014, 12:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackpantheruwm

While they have very good, knowledgeable and excellent posters such as TitleBU, irishdawg and Staxawax, the sheer amount of pompous idiots on their message board is staggering. I guess that comes with success - the influx of Butler fans with no knowledge of the conference or mid-majordom grew tenfold when they went to the title game the first time.

Which is fine. I just wish I could select posters and only read what they write. Because the BU board has plenty of worthy posters that aren't pompous jackasses.

usc4valpo

THere are worse knuckleheads.  The Alabama and Iowa football message boards are out of control...

bbtds

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on October 24, 2014, 08:03:54 PM
While they have very good, knowledgeable and excellent posters such as TitleBU, irishdawg and Staxawax, the sheer amount of pompous idiots on their message board is staggering. I guess that comes with success - the influx of Butler fans with no knowledge of the conference or mid-majordom grew tenfold when they went to the title game the first time.

Which is fine. I just wish I could select posters and only read what they write. Because the BU board has plenty of worthy posters that aren't pompous jackasses.

There was nobody as bad as the guy from Ohio who once suggested that BU was going to the national championship game despite not being able to finish in the top half of the Big East.

usc4valpo

Go on the Alabama boards for insanity - they are folks asking for Saban's head.  Seriously.

Not to mention, there are some who I guess you can say are overly passioate.

CALL OF THE DAY - Phyllis from Mulga

valpotx

It's funny how serious some people are in regards to their sports teams
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

As you all know I have always prided myself as being maybe the dumbest guy on this board, but on the Butler board I wouldn't even qualify for being a close also ran or even an honorable mention.   :-\

wh

Quote from: justducky on October 25, 2014, 04:07:00 PM
As you all know I have always prided myself as being maybe the dumbest guy on this board, but on the Butler board I wouldn't even qualify for being a close also ran or even an honorable mention.   :-\

There are no "dumb" posters on this board.  Everyone adds value - and that is the truth. You would be a genius on either Butler board.     

usc4valpo

I appreciate that remark wh - thanks.  The USC board can be pretty crazy, but nothing like the Iowa and Bama posters.

bbtds

Doyel: Coaches don't expect to face Brandon Miller again

Coaches who compete with Butler at the most intimate level – not just for recruits, but for wins and losses – tell The Indianapolis Star they don't expect to compete ever again with Brandon Miller as coach of the Bulldogs.

Not one coach would talk to the Star on the record about Miller out of respect for his privacy – Butler announced his medical leave of absence on Oct. 2 – but to a man, they all say they are hearing the same thing: That Miller will not return this season, and if he's not back this season he won't be back at all. The timetable is fluid until it hits a concrete wall near the end of December, when the federally mandated 12 weeks of Miller's leave – courtesy of the Family and Medical Leave Act – expire. Unless Miller has told Butler he will return by then, his federal protection will expire, and most likely so will his position as Butler's head coach.

INDYSTAR
No indication when Butler coach Brandon Miller will return
That's what coaches around college basketball circles are saying about Miller, whose medical condition has not been revealed though people on the local AAU scene say they have seen Miller, 35, with his children at youth games, looking from afar like the
same Brandon Miller they've known for years.

Competing college coaches say Miller, formerly an assistant at Ohio State and Illinois, started to withdraw from colleagues this summer on the recruiting trail, showing up to watch recruits but saying little to anyone before slipping away. They say he hasn't been in contact with his best friends in coaching, assistants on other staffs whom he has worked with over the years. They say the Brandon Miller they saw this summer and don't hear from anymore is not the Brandon Miller any of them has ever known.

Butler athletics director Barry Collier said he remains "hopeful that [Miller] will be back," but says it could take up to six weeks for clarity in either direction.

"We should have some direction by the end of the year or close to the beginning of '15," Collier said Wednesday. "But between now and then, things are unknown."

INDYSTAR
Butler Q&A: Miller's absence remains a mystery
This much is not: If Miller decides to return at any point before his 12-week leave expires, the job is his. Collier says Butler would welcome his return – and couldn't stop it regardless.

"Without staring at the verbiage of the law, I think that's true for all of us, frankly," Collier said. "When we submit for that leave, I think you're given those 12 weeks. On the one hand, I'm torn up by his health situation. We just need to let the time pass and I'm hopeful that he'll be back."

Butler interim coach Chris Holtmann, whose team beat Chattanooga on Tuesday night to improve to 2-0, responded to a question about Miller's unlikely return with a text message:

"At this point I don't feel comfortable getting into specifics," he wrote. "Thanks for understanding."

Follow Star columnist Gregg Doyel on Twitter: @GreggDoyelStar

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2014/11/19/doyel-coaches-dont-expect-to-face-brandon-miller-again/19289945/

Kyle321n

Doyel was a big get for the Indy Star and he's pretty connected. That's one report I'd trust.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

...isn't Doyel kind of a jerk?  Asking for a friend.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 20, 2014, 09:43:06 PM
Oh he's got some jerk in his editorials but his reporting is usually top notch.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

bbtds

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 20, 2014, 09:45:23 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 20, 2014, 09:43:06 PM
Oh he's got some jerk in his editorials but his reporting is usually top notch.

I find it interesting that Michael Pointer is the Indy Star's Butler reporter but Doyel wrote the story on Brandon Miller's supposed future.