• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #6 - Homecoming vs. Missouri Baptist

Started by VULB#62, October 05, 2014, 11:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

So, bbtds, tell us more about the atmosphere up/down there.  The weather reports sounds terrific.  You were at the soccer game and, no doubt, will be at the beer tent!  Give us a Homecoming Report!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

pig and egg action with the beer tent.  It is really a good life.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on October 11, 2014, 10:16:09 AM
So, bbtds, tell us more about the atmosphere up/down there.  The weather reports sounds terrific.  You were at the soccer game and, no doubt, will be at the beer tent!  Give us a Homecoming Report!!

Actually I've had to give up the beer tents. 5 years this November. You couldn't tell from my posts on this board that they were all sober the last five years, could you?

I am with family this morning but will be at the football game this afternoon.

valpotx

Someone should tell the HL that their ad still has Loyola on the last part of the commercial, with no Oakland ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

tx, not to mention that they had Butler in the ad.

wow, MBU is really brutal.

valpotx

That is pretty sad.  Someone really needs to tell them, as you are advertising Butler and Loyola for free
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

I am actually surprised the Pioneer Conference does not have an advertisement.  That would be pretty cool.

vu72

Thought I'd listen to the MoBap radio feed so went to their website.  Interesting.  They must have a pretty small enrollment though I couldn't find a number.  The interesting thing is that they sponsor 23 team sports including Men's Bowling, Men's Volleyball, Lacrosse for both and perhaps most interesting------WOMEN'S WRESTLING!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ballmom

Missing #96. Nice win Valpo. Ring that bell teen come to the football tent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

Attendance listed at 4771.  If true an excellent Homecoming crowd on a great day!

usc4valpo

That is how you defeat  the ham and egger baby!

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 11, 2014, 03:58:56 PM

My personal opinion is that we would have lost to Campbell, Drake, Dayton, Butler, etc. today but it is hard to tell when the best your opponent can do on a +40 yard FG is to fumble the snap, pick up the loose ball and then slip immediately to the ground for an additional loss of +10 yards. Extremely pathetic for the Spartans. About the only team we would have beaten in the Pioneer League is Davidson. For a team that started out making few mistakes this Valpo football team is making mistake after mistake after penalty after mistake. Thank God MBU was the absolute worst team in college football.

valpopal

What a difference a week makes! The atmosphere at the game was as bright as the weather. The home stands were full, and there were smiles all around. I snapped a number of fine action photos with scoring plays, but the one below was my favorite of the day. It displays "Valparaiso University," "Homecoming 2014," the impressive final score, and the coach in command of a team that appears to be following his guidance.

The Crusaders seemed as pleased as I have seen them in years, and the players were eager to celebrate. However, when the coach gathered them on the field after the game for some words, he congratulated them but advised that they not be satisfied, their celebrations ought not overshadow the need to work harder to eliminate mistakes.

valpotx

MBU's wiki page states that they are around 5,062 in total student population.  This is their first year of football, but they have participated in collegiate athletics for several decades.

Does the scoreboard now have a video board where the Homecoming 2014 shows up?  I can't tell if that is video, or a draped sign.
"Don't mess with Texas"

ole skol baller 2

This was a badly needed win but should have been scheduled at the beginning of the season.  This was a NAIA team so don't celebrate to long or hard tonight. We got DRAKE  next weekend it will not be a cake walk.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: ole skol baller 2 on October 11, 2014, 09:11:49 PMshould have been scheduled at the beginning of the season
homecoming's never at the beginning of the season

Speaking of, where are all those fans, who moan whenever the MBB plays a non D1, during football season?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

ole skol baller 2

You are right LaPorte homecoming is never scheduled at the beginning of the season.  I guess you didn't understand my statement.  I was referring to the opponent. 

vusupporter

Mercer leaving the PFL left a hole in the schedule.  We needed a homecoming opponent.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on October 11, 2014, 05:58:00 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 11, 2014, 03:58:56 PM

My personal opinion is that we would have lost to Campbell, Drake, Dayton, Butler, etc. today but it is hard to tell when the best your opponent can do on a +40 yard FG is to fumble the snap, pick up the loose ball and then slip immediately to the ground for an additional loss of +10 yards. Extremely pathetic for the Spartans. About the only team we would have beaten in the Pioneer League is Davidson. For a team that started out making few mistakes this Valpo football team is making mistake after mistake after penalty after mistake. Thank God MBU was the absolute worst team in college football.

You may be correct but I sense this team is turning a corner.  Now, they may get hit by a Mack truck when they turn via a Drake team, but still there is improvement. That Campbell team that beat us by 10,34-24, just beat Butler 28-9

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 11, 2014, 09:16:48 PM
Quote from: ole skol baller 2 on October 11, 2014, 09:11:49 PMshould have been scheduled at the beginning of the season
homecoming's never at the beginning of the season

Speaking of, where are all those fans, who moan whenever the MBB plays a non D1, during football season?

Obvious difference being there are more than 2 or 3 teams that exist in all of D1 that the team can beat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

As I read about Valpo playing a non Div 1 team in the middle of the season, I think it is time for a reality check.

1.  Do not compare men's basketball to football at Valpo.  They are very separate operations.  Basketball is the main sport and it always will be.  Football exists at Valpo more as an extracurricular activity. And that is ok, Valpo's primary sport is basketball just like Georgetown, Dayton, Butler, Drake, Davidson, etc.

2.  Missouri Baptist was a last minute replacement in their schedule.  They had to find someone.

3.  Valpo is Division I in football in name only.  In reality they are more like a glorified Div. 3 school.  That has been recognized by many people and that is ok

4.  It was nice to see Valpo win, the kids needs a win and a few smiles is not a bad thing.  But this game is not a true indicator that this program has turned around.  The difference in competition in that game was tremendous. Missouri Baptist was brutal and is learning how to play football.

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on October 11, 2014, 08:09:17 PM

Does the scoreboard now have a video board where the Homecoming 2014 shows up?  I can't tell if that is video, or a draped sign.

The sign is electronic and changes its messages.

VUDad

Agreeing with you USC. Great to see another win to bring us to 2, which will help the recruiting pitch of a turnaround taking place. Another good outcome from the game was to see lots of guys get reps. Why? Check out why Campbell beat Butler. The Butler QB was knocked out of the game in the 1st quarter, and the guy coming in had only thrown 6 passes all year to that point. And good to see our special teams play well, no matter the skill level of the opponent. A homecoming win is good regardless of who we play. 

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 12, 2014, 07:41:22 AM
As I read about Valpo playing a non Div 1 team in the middle of the season, I think it is time for a reality check.

1.  Do not compare men's basketball to football at Valpo.  They are very separate operations.  Basketball is the main sport and it always will be.  Football exists at Valpo more as an extracurricular activity. And that is ok, Valpo's primary sport is basketball just like Georgetown, Dayton, Butler, Drake, Davidson, etc.

3.  Valpo is Division I in football in name only.  In reality they are more like a glorified Div. 3 school.  That has been recognized by many people and that is ok

4.  It was nice to see Valpo win, the kids needs a win and a few smiles is not a bad thing.  But this game is not a true indicator that this program has turned around.

Our football frame of reference should ALWAYS be fellow PFL teams.  Period.

Quote from: VUDad on October 12, 2014, 11:53:41 AM
Agreeing with you USC. Great to see another win to bring us to 2, which will help the recruiting pitch of a turnaround taking place. Another good outcome from the game was to see lots of guys get reps. Why? Check out why Campbell beat Butler. The Butler QB was knocked out of the game in the 1st quarter, and the guy coming in had only thrown 6 passes all year to that point. And good to see our special teams play well, no matter the skill level of the opponent. A homecoming win is good regardless of who we play. 

In the past, despite being beaten badly, not many reserve players got positive reps.  This is why all teams try to schedule some cream puffs -- to give reserve players game experience.  Glad it worked out.  I could only watch the game sporadically, so I did not see the play(s) that led to the MBU TD. I understand it came off an INT.  What I did see, however, was pretty much good execution regardless of who was in for us and not many mistakes (a couple of dumb penalties though).  That is what i was hoping for:  execution, execution, execution. 

Todd mentioned in his commentary that all 6 of our RBs who saw action return next year.  The more touches each gets the better we will be in each game this year and, of course,  next season. Need to start establishing the underclassman who will fill Kuramata's role next year.  As well as next season's Gladney and Cassara.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 12, 2014, 12:45:46 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 12, 2014, 07:41:22 AM

4.  It was nice to see Valpo win, the kids needs a win and a few smiles is not a bad thing.  But this game is not a true indicator that this program has turned around.

Our football frame of reference should ALWAYS be fellow PFL teams.  Period.

Quote from: VUDad on October 12, 2014, 11:53:41 AM

In the past, despite being beaten badly, not many reserve players got positive reps.  This is why all teams try to schedule some cream puffs -- to give reserve players game experience.  Glad it worked out.  I could only watch the game sporadically, so I did not see the play(s) that led to the MBU TD. I understand it came off an INT.  What I did see, however, was pretty much good execution regardless of who was in for us and not many mistakes (a couple of dumb penalties though).  That is what i was hoping for:  execution, execution, execution. 

Todd mentioned in his commentary that all 6 of our RBs who saw action return next year.  The more touches each gets the better we will be in each game this year and, of course,  next season. Need to start establishing the underclassman who will fill Kuramata's role next year.  As well as next season's Gladney and Cassara.

Go to the athletics site and watch the highlights.  The INT is part of it.