• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #8 - @ The Morehead Eagles

Started by VULB#62, October 18, 2014, 04:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

this is looking like Baylor TCU. 

There are youngsters that are looking really good for the Crusaders in this year.  That is promising.

valpotx

What a big pickup on 3rd and 5 with Hutson!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Morgan is a dynamic playmaker, glad to see that we are doing things for him!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

The clock should have been running there....

Just as I finish typing, Hall breaks to the outside with a clutch TD!  What a drive, eating up 6 minutes to give our D a rest!  I am loving Coach C's play-calling versus the previous regime's 10 play playbook.  Valpo 47-35.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

That was clutch. The old Crusaders would have folded their tents watching the lead slip away. 

Let's finish!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

If I'm on D for Valpo, I sit on the offensive player for an extra 2-3 seconds each time, to buy a few moments rest with how quick their no huddle is.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

I don't know if the video clock is synched with the field clock, but if so, the operator is stopping it when he shouldn't be...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Valpo 47-42.  We don't need to be conservative when we get the ball with 3:12 left.  We need a few first downs, since MSU still has all 3 timeouts left.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

i...don't... believe that...

oh Lord.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Damn.  We left too much space, and Hall misses on a dive attempt, with MSU getting it.  Need stops on 3rd and 4th down here!!!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Good play-call, but they played it right.  Need one final stop, with MSU out of timeouts.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

No clue how that wasn't a block in the back there
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

oh man.  ouch.

i hate life.

valpotx

How unfortunate.  A possession that should have started at their own 27 goes to their 42 because they didn't call that block in the back.  Leads to a TD to put MSU up 48-47.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

They actually helped us there by kicking it out of bounds, no time off the clock.  It is possible to get into FG range
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

It should be said that this has nothing to do with the missed XP.  Sure, down 1, but if we had made it, they'd have just kicked their XP to still be up 1 instead of going for 2.

Also glad that that stupid squib kick turned fumble was erased by the INT.

Last week I said "giving up 10 points should be enough to win you 9 outta 10".  This week, "scoring 47 points should be enough to win you 9 outta 10".

This one squarely on the defense, late interception aside.  Last week on the offense.  Sigh.

valpotx

Just wow.  I didn't like that play-call.  Why try to get more space on the throw when you had plenty of time to stay in the pocket for 10-20 yd pass?  We needed two long plays, no point trying to get it on one play.  Just sad.  We should be 4-4 (2-2), but are 2-6 (0-4) now.

That non-call on their punt return was absolutely terrible.  I have no idea how a ref could miss that.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpochgo

The announcer said it best "Valpo played not to lose instead of playing to win."   

valpotx

Not really, though.  We made the right call on that third down play, they just guessed correctly.  They were stacking the box all second half on the run, and we hadn't run the play-action pass since early in the third quarter.  Now, I wouldn't have called the QB sweep, but rather a pass to completely catch them off guard, but it was the right idea in general.

I believe that our games at home against Butler and Davidson are winnable, so even if we lose all the others outside of this, we end up 4-8 (2-6).  That is a pretty good year compared to the last 5-6 seasons, especially considering that we really could have 3 other wins (at Campbell with that GL INT late that would have put us ahead, at home against Drake with Lehman getting hurt leading to no offense, and this one). 
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

they did not blow this game, did they?   I took a shower after Valpo got the INT thinking the game was done, and ...

valpochgo

When you have a 3rd and 3... I'm not running a QB sweep; I'm handing it to Hall and letting him run between the tackles.  Worst case he gets 2 yds and now you have 4 and 1 (or inches) vs. 4th and 7.  I'm not leaving the game in the hands of the defense when they've given up over 500 yds and the game is still in the 4th quarter.