• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponents Scoreboard 2014-2015 Season

Started by motowntitan, November 02, 2014, 09:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Saturday will also be a fun day to scoreboard-watch... 11 of our 12 D-1 OOC opponents are in action.  (Murray State is on CBSportsNet Sunday vs. Jacksonville State)

Maine (1-13) is at Binghampton (1-16) (Sagarin 334 vs. 344)
James Madison at William and Mary
Northern Iowa @ Drake
San Francisco at Portland
Chattanooga @ ETSU
Central Michigan @ Ball State
Missouri @ Auburn
Eastern Kentucky @ Southeast Missouri State
South Dakota @ IPFW
Alabama State @ Ark-Pine Bluff
New Mexico @ Utah State

Oakland @ Detroit is the only other HL game on Saturday
(GB @ Milwaukee on Friday night 9am CT)
(Youngstown @ GB on Sunday)

Kyle321n

We started the night at 86 in KenPom and moved up to 77. Getting a W never "hurts" RPI, but UIC certainly doesn't move the meter.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on January 09, 2015, 08:43:12 AM(GB @ Milwaukee on Friday night 9am CT)

Really, I can't find this game anywhere and it should be in  the 2nd half as of 10:24 a.m. I guess if the snow is piling up outside why play this game at night. You can see better during daylight. Who cares about class?

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Our out of conference schedule is looking better as the season progresses.  Five teams have winning records, led by Murray at 12-4, East Tenn St. at 9-4 and Portland at 11-5.  Six teams have winning records, three are at .500 and only Drake (3/12) and Maine at (1-13) are really bad.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

IPFW finally won a game.  The local paper is really giving them the sh#t for being picked to win the league and then playing like cr*p. That is what happens when a key player goes down for a while (Forbes is back but has not played like he did early in the season).  I hope we can overcome our situation.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

humble suggestion to remove the All Saints' date and 'exhibition' from the title of this thread?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Detroit dominated Oakland this afternoon 74-54.  Felder had 16 points, but only hit 5 of 12 shots and 5 of 8 FT's.  He also had 8 turnovers in 32 minutes.  Detroit totally shut down Petros, who had 2 points on 1-4 FG's.  The best player on the court was Detroit freshman Paris Bass with 18 points in 21 minutes.  Oakland had no one that could stop him from driving the hoop.  He looks like a guy with a very bright future. 

motowntitan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 09, 2015, 09:10:05 PM
humble suggestion to remove the All Saints' date and 'exhibition' from the title of this thread?

Suggestion taken.

Better?

talksalot

so... 10 of our D-1 opponents played today...

Ball State over Central Michigan
Eastern Kentucky over SEMO
UNew Mexico beats a good Utah State Team...66-60

the other 7 OOC teams all lost !!   Even Maine (1-15) lost to the #344 team, Binghamton, now 2-15... and they lost by 19 points.  And Oakland being pummeled at UDM by 20 didn't help.

Before our win, and before the Lobo game went final, our NOLAN RPI had fallen from 89 to 94.   Now, we are back up to 90.  Maybe Murray State will help us a little tomorrow.

wh

Quote from: talksalot on January 10, 2015, 09:56:18 PM
so... 10 of our D-1 opponents played today...

Ball State over Central Michigan
Eastern Kentucky over SEMO
UNew Mexico beats a good Utah State Team...66-60

the other 7 OOC teams all lost !!   Even Maine (1-15) lost to the #344 team, Binghamton, now 2-15... and they lost by 19 points.  And Oakland being pummeled at UDM by 20 didn't help.

Before our win, and before the Lobo game went final, our NOLAN RPI had fallen from 89 to 94.   Now, we are back up to 90.  Maybe Murray State will help us a little tomorrow.

Ball State (7-6) has won its last 4 games, including wins over 11-4 EMU and 11-2 CMU.

Valpofan00

a3uge

This was my summary from the other thread of the game:

So UIC was up 10+ the whole game before Detroit went on a run and tied it late. UIC hit a 3, got a stop and added a free throw with 40 sec left. UIC fouls Detroit and they only hit 1 free throw. Up 3, UIC just needs to wind the clock down (till about 5 sec left of the game). Jay Harris is dribbling so Detroit doesn't foul. Harris, for whatever reason passes out to a guard, whom passes it right back to Harris... but not really, because Chris Jenkins picked him off and, of course, instead of going for the 3 to tie, he dunks it with 3.7 left. So all UIC has to do is inbound it and get fouled, hit free throws, etc.

UIC runs the home run play and the inbounder Jay Cutlers it short, Whiticker adjusts and Jerod Williams lands right on him midair, and you guessed it, gets called for a foul. In the bonus, Williams hit both free throws and Detroit wins by 1.

valpotx

Wow, that is a ridiculous sequence of events.  I would be so pissed if that happened to us.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

I read the post and then I had to see it.  I went and watch the last minute on replay.  Ridiculous. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Oakland over Green Bay at half 40-35.  Nice halftime ceremony honoring Travis Bader, as well.  Good entertainment for HL fans.   

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Given that Oakland was coming off a 20-point drubbing by Detroit on the road, I think it's still too early to tell whether they're contenders or spoilers.  I will say this.  I would be surprised if anyone else in the league beats both GB and Valpo at home this year. 

a3uge

Hope UWGB players stocked up on diapers, tomorrow's going to be a long practice.

FWalum

Quote from: a3uge on January 15, 2015, 08:47:35 PM
Hope UWGB players stocked up on diapers, tomorrow's going to be a long practice.
Thats just plain mean.  :lol:

bbtds

[about the Detroit/UIC game that ended so badly for UIC--from the memes thread]

Quote from: agibson on January 15, 2015, 05:30:53 PMThought, "Whoah - can UIC win this?"  At the time thinking, maybe it was CSU's ball, and they'd win on a buzzer beater.  I had no idea...
UIC was playing Detroit.

Yes, a most foolish play. The problem is when you've already made a terrible play by giving up the ball with only seconds to go and up by three, you really don't want to give up the ball again by stupidly fouling your opponent WHEN YOU HAVE THE BALL!!!!

The home run play totally backfired because the inbounder threw it short and the play had been sniffed out so the ball was totally up for grabs. The UIC player committed the foul because he was too aggressive trying to jump for a ball that was totally a jump ball free for all. Terrible, terrible execution on UIC's part. If the Flames had allowed the ball to fall to the Titan player they could have stepped in front of him and guarded against a winning shot until the clock ran out. But nooooooooooo!! They had to commit a foul by flying through the air trying to catch the terrible inbounds pass. Awful, just awful!!

<a href="http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2276114/size/condensed/">REPLAY OF DETROIT/UIC GAME 1/14/2015 ON ESPN 3</a>

Rewatched it and noticed that the UIC player trying to catch the home run inbounds pass backed into his defender (maybe some how trying to draw a foul) and initiated the contact.

Go to the 2:00:00 mark and you can see about the last 2:15 of the game.

wh

This went right over my head for a couple of seconds.  When I got it I laughed out loud.  :)

bbtds

THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG @#!$ING PRACTICE!!!

Coach, I have to study!

There's the door, don't come back!!!

Oh crap!

Not yet, but I can feel one coming on.

Even I wasn't that tough or sadistic..................ha ha ha...........

bbtds

valpotx

Just watched that UIC/Detroit finish.  The only way to describe that sequence: bumble-f word
"Don't mess with Texas"