• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #11 @ USD Toreros

Started by VULB#62, November 08, 2014, 03:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Tough opponent that's on a roll.  But nothing can take away the transfer of the Hoosier Helmet to NW Indiana's only FCS football team!

VULB#62

Tidbits to get you thinking.

09/06/14 vs. Western New Mexico Torero Stadium W, 23-17 (D-II)
09/13/14 at Jacksonville  Jacksonville, FL L, 35-18
09/20/14 vs. Princeton Torero Stadium W, 39-29
09/27/14 at Marist  Poughkeepsie, NY W, 20-16
10/11/14 vs. Stetson (Homecoming/Family Weekend)  Torero Stadium W, 31-23
10/18/14 at Butler  Indianapolis, IN W, 27-21
10/25/14 vs. Dayton  Torero Stadium W, 40-29

They are not invincible.  We can be competitive.  We will give them a game.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

We continue to play well and limit our turnovers:

San Diego  31
Valpo   23

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 08, 2014, 04:28:33 PM
09/27/14 at Marist  Poughkeepsie, NY W, 20-16
10/11/14 vs. Stetson (Homecoming/Family Weekend)  Torero Stadium W, 31-23
10/18/14 at Butler  Indianapolis, IN W, 27-21
They are definitely not invincible.  We can will be competitive.  We will give them a game.

After Stetson beat Marist and we beat Butler I altered my tidbits.

usc4valpo

Things are definitiely brighter.  I am not sure Valpo can pull a win against Tijuana del Norte, but the good news is that the Anchorman quotes come back to life! Whammy!

bbtds

Viewing website (free) for Valpo at USD football game, 3:00 p.m. CT/4:00 p.m. ET/1:00 p.m. PT on Saturday.

http://new.livestream.com/thewtv/USDFB

valporun

Quote from: bbtds on November 12, 2014, 01:05:17 PM
Viewing website (free) for Valpo at USD football game, 3:00 p.m. CT/4:00 p.m. ET/1:00 p.m. PT on Saturday.

http://new.livestream.com/thewtv/USDFB

If anyone should miss the game, TheWtv site, for The West Coast Conference, also archives these for FREE as well. You can get all of the USD games, whether audio or video there.

VUOR63

Good to see the Crusaders have some success recently.  USD is a tough place to play so hopefully the squad can stay focused and locked in on the task at hand. 

I became interested in Valpo after visiting USD back in 2000 and seeing the Brown and Gold crush the Toreros.  Hopefully they'll give some USD recruits something to think about this weekend!

usc4valpo

valpotx

Holy sh!t!!!  Let's close this one out!!!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

This would be huge, huge, huge.

valpotx

Wow, you have to be kidding me.  How do we leave one on one coverage there...

Seriously, how the F does that happen??  You should have 3 rushing, and 8 guys near the end zone, with a few on each side if there are WRs.  WTF???
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

You've got to be kidding!!!!!!!

valpotx

Our record is now 3-8 (1-6), but we could very well be 6-5 (4-3) if not for 3 blown games (Drake, MSU, and USD).
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

tx, you are very correct.  Valpo football is significantly better than it was last year.  Despite the record, I hope these guys see how much they have improved and how it will leave a foundation for better things in years to come.  Cecchini has exceeded expectations this year -despite this, they are much better coached.

valpotx

This team can hold their heads up high this season, though.  We have been in just about every game, and have a chance at going out strong with a win against Davidson, to get to 4-8 (2-6), which is better than most of us would have hoped for with a first year head coach.  I like Coach C's coaching style and play-calling (for the most part), so I think that we are on the rise again.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Cecchini for PFL coach of the year?

vu72

I just about threw up.  Still, what a turn-a-round for this team.

Consider this:

2 years ago, against San Diego, Butler, Drake, Dayton and Morehead,  we lost by a combined 212-76. To make matters worse, we lost to these teams last year by a combined 240-84.  Guys, that is an average defeat of 42-15 two years ago and an average defeat of 48-17 last year.
This year our combined results against these teams is 142-119 or 28-24.  To say the coaching effort this year is fantastic in perhaps the understatement of the year.  Yes, a couple of game literally slipped through our fingers, but just think about the reality that we can play with and should have beaten the PFL champs--on their field.  Bravo!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

well I would rather have Cecchini as coach than Brian Kelly.  What a great win for Northwestern!

VUOR63

Maybe I'm just trying to find a silver lining in this hard-to-swallow loss, but maybe it's better that we're close and no cigar on some of these games so that we can keep Cecchini around another couple years.  Based on what I saw today (on the live feed) this coaching staff is the real deal--they will not be at Valpo long because success as measured by Ws is imminent.

LaPorteAveApostle

I was watching Bama with the wife (woohoo Michigan didn't lose today) and clicked on the forum.  It's always interesting to get the "feel" of the game this way, but I was really afraid to see what had happened.

What a n^gut punch of a loss.  I hate to resort to clichés...but are these the games you have to lose to "learn how to win"?

Yipes.  72, great call on measuring the progress, and 63, let's hope!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpochgo

This game was heartbreaking! There was a nice crowd on the Valpo side and we were very loud.  Yet when that final Hail Mary happened it was a shocked silence and disbelief.  If I can find positives out of this it would be that Valpo has proved that it can play with anyone in the PFL now....  Time is over for the predictions of Valpo being blown out in the PFL.

I feel bad for the kid who got beat on that last TD.  Valpo was in a Cover 2 so a safety had to blow "help" coverage as no corner should have 1 on 1 coverage in the end zone on a Hail Mary play.  I was glad to see his teammates supporting him on the field at the end of the game because his coverage was great but the receiver was taller and jumped up over him to make that final TD catch.

FloridaFootball

Thank you all for a fun four years on the board. Things are looking up for Valpo and I hope that the momentum continues next year. My son will leaving, too bad this coaching staff wasn't here a few years ago. Thanks for the memories Devan Gadson. Safe travels to those that will be at the finale on Saturday. Please say "Hello" if you will be there. It would be a pleasure to meet you.