• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015 Football Recruiting

Started by covufan, January 07, 2015, 04:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on February 03, 2015, 09:19:01 AM
I thought I'd place this here: the 2015 football schedule has been released: http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/schedule/2015-16/#.VNDkjNLF-yU

We open a week later than in the past  with 11 games and no bye weeks to lick wounds.  We start with 2 FCS scholarship schools, then College of Faith (Arkansas).  Their web site says that 2015 is their inaugural season and they play all but two games on the road. Their link: http://www.gofaithwarriors.com/football.html

After COF we go straight into the PFL schedule.  We've dropped Mercer and Marist and picked up the two Florida schools.

LaPorteAveApostle

not that this is really an issue with us.  just putting this here as it is the best thing to come out of IU since Isiah Thomas:

[tweet]562607779089637376[/tweet]
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

The schedule is interesting. Sacred Heart won their conference and finished ranked in both polls (24th and 25th)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valp094

Regarding the 2015 schedule, it looks like there is a bye on 10/31, right before the Butler game.  That works out nicely. 

valp094

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 03, 2015, 09:20:22 AM
Welcome aboard, Oghbeicae9.  Are you, per chance, related to OB1Canobie?   ;)

Some history:

Under the previous regime (that went 3 and 41), the recruiting classes averaged around 30.  Last year, Cecchini's staff, understandably, got a late start and signed around 20 and then lost a few between signing and the start of camp.  This year their goals are a larger class and retain a greater percentage by preseason camp.  The obvious turn around that occurred in 2014 should help the staff achieve those recruiting goals, not to mention make Valpo more attractive to more talented players than in the past.

Just doing some research on the recruits listed, this is a high quality class.  Lots of athletes.  Lots of speed.  Lots of kids who were flirting with D1-FCS offers. 

crusader05

Looks like we will be playing San Diego State during Homecoming

vu72

Quote from: crusader05 on February 03, 2015, 10:09:37 AM
Looks like we will be playing San Diego State during Homecoming
[/b]

I sure hope it's University of San Diego, NOT San Diego State!!  :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Oghbeicae9

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 03, 2015, 09:20:22 AMWelcome aboard, Oghbeicae9.  Are you, per chance, related to OB1Canobie?   ;) Some history: Under the previous regime (that went 3 and 41), the recruiting classes averaged around 30.  Last year, Cecchini's staff, understandably, got a late start and signed around 20 and then lost a few between signing and the start of camp.  This year their goals are a larger class and retain a greater percentage by preseason camp.  The obvious turn around that occurred in 2014 should help the staff achieve those recruiting goals, not to mention make Valpo more attractive to more talented players than in the past.

Thanks for the hearty welcome, VULB! I'm not related to OB1Canobie but I sure do like his user name!

Excuse my ignorance as a casual Crusaders fan, but could you please explain the PFL's "Non-Scholarship" policy? Does that mean all players are "Walk Ons" since no financial aid is provided? Are the players required to fund their own ride, either through family contributions or loans/grants? Isn't that policy a recruiting disadvantage since almost every other FBS/FCS conference offers scholarship money?

vu72

Quote from: Oghbeicae9 on February 03, 2015, 11:32:31 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 03, 2015, 09:20:22 AMWelcome aboard, Oghbeicae9.  Are you, per chance, related to OB1Canobie?   ;) Some history: Under the previous regime (that went 3 and 41), the recruiting classes averaged around 30.  Last year, Cecchini's staff, understandably, got a late start and signed around 20 and then lost a few between signing and the start of camp.  This year their goals are a larger class and retain a greater percentage by preseason camp.  The obvious turn around that occurred in 2014 should help the staff achieve those recruiting goals, not to mention make Valpo more attractive to more talented players than in the past.

Thanks for the hearty welcome, VULB! I'm not related to OB1Canobie but I sure do like his user name!

Excuse my ignorance as a casual Crusaders fan, but could you please explain the PFL's "Non-Scholarship" policy? Does that mean all players are "Walk Ons" since no financial aid is provided? Are the players required to fund their own ride, either through family contributions or loans/grants? Isn't that policy a recruiting disadvantage since almost every other FBS/FCS conference offers scholarship money?

Let me give this a try.  The PFL is non-ATHLETIC scholarship, in the same way the Ivy League is non-ATHLETIC scholarship.  That doesn't mean the players are paying their own way--completely, but rather that they are in line with other students applying for scholarships, academic or need based.  Remember that something like 93% of Valpo students receive grants.

valp094

Quote from: vu72 on February 03, 2015, 11:53:53 AMLet me give this a try.  The PFL is non-ATHLETIC scholarship, in the same way the Ivy League is non-ATHLETIC scholarship.  That doesn't mean the players are paying their own way--completely, but rather that they are in line with other students applying for scholarships, academic or need based.  Remember that something like 93% of Valpo students receive grants.

And, to avoid getting into trouble like Jacksonville, the aid received must be "blind" to athletic ability.  The aid given is based on: (a) financial need; and/or (b) academic prowess.  Jacksonville had to forfeit their season and league championship this year because the aid provided football players was tied to their ability--at least that was the allegation that resulted in the institution forfeiting their games and the conference championship. 

So, in the PFL, if your program follows the rules, you wind up with a football team chock full of kids who are hard working students that, in all likelihood, said no to scholarship opportunities at lesser academic institutions in favor of investing in an education at more academically prestigious universities.  These are kids you want to root for.   

VULB#62

Quote from: valp094 on February 03, 2015, 12:17:38 PM
Quote from: vu72 on February 03, 2015, 11:53:53 AMLet me give this a try.  The PFL is non-ATHLETIC scholarship, in the same way the Ivy League is non-ATHLETIC scholarship.  That doesn't mean the players are paying their own way--completely, but rather that they are in line with other students applying for scholarships, academic or need based.  Remember that something like 93% of Valpo students receive grants.

And, to avoid getting into trouble like Jacksonville, the aid received must be "blind" to athletic ability.  The aid given is based on: (a) financial need; and/or (b) academic prowess.  Jacksonville had to forfeit their season and league championship this year because the aid provided football players was tied to their ability--at least that was the allegation that resulted in the institution forfeiting their games and the conference championship. 

So, in the PFL, if your program follows the rules, you wind up with a football team chock full of kids who are hard working students that, in all likelihood, said no to scholarship opportunities at lesser academic institutions in favor of investing in an education at more academically prestigious universities.  These are kids you want to root for.   

These are some of the reasons that you'll see more engineers and tough majors listed on the roster than in most schools.  It's a great combination that allows good students, who know that life after football requires a great education, to play a sport because they love the game, not because they have to because they are on a cancelable FB scholarship.  There are a number of kids who could have gone to D-II and NAIA schools on FB scholarships who have instead enrolled at Valpo accepting need-based financial aid.

Coach Dave Cecchini came to us from Lehigh, a Patriot League member that formerly was a need-based league (and have recently transitioned to FB scholarship).  He's experienced in recruiting the kind of kid who will thrive in a Valpo (i.e., PFL) setting.   

Oghbeicae9

And, to avoid getting into trouble like Jacksonville, the aid received must be "blind" to athletic ability.  The aid given is based on: (a) financial need; and/or (b) academic prowess.  Jacksonville had to forfeit their season and league championship this year because the aid provided football players was tied to their ability--at least that was the allegation that resulted in the institution forfeiting their games and the conference championship. So, in the PFL, if your program follows the rules, you wind up with a football team chock full of kids who are hard working students that, in all likelihood, said no to scholarship opportunities at lesser academic institutions in favor of investing in an education at more academically prestigious universities.  These are kids you want to root for.

Now I understand! Thank you, valp094 and vu72! Where can I buy season tickets? For the first time in a long time, Crusader fans have another sports team to be proud of. 2014 was just the beginning of an exciting, remarkable transformation. VU will rule the PFL!

valp094

"Now I understand! Thank you, valp094 and vu72! Where can I buy season tickets? For the first time in a long time, Crusader fans have another sports team to be proud of. 2014 was just the beginning of an exciting, remarkable transformation. VU will rule the PFL!"

Regarding your question about buying season tix, I've just purchased them at the stadium ticket office right before entering the game. 

Kyle321n

Quote from: Oghbeicae9 on February 03, 2015, 12:39:06 PM
And, to avoid getting into trouble like Jacksonville, the aid received must be "blind" to athletic ability.  The aid given is based on: (a) financial need; and/or (b) academic prowess.  Jacksonville had to forfeit their season and league championship this year because the aid provided football players was tied to their ability--at least that was the allegation that resulted in the institution forfeiting their games and the conference championship. So, in the PFL, if your program follows the rules, you wind up with a football team chock full of kids who are hard working students that, in all likelihood, said no to scholarship opportunities at lesser academic institutions in favor of investing in an education at more academically prestigious universities.  These are kids you want to root for.

Now I understand! Thank you, valp094 and vu72! Where can I buy season tickets? For the first time in a long time, Crusader fans have another sports team to be proud of. 2014 was just the beginning of an exciting, remarkable transformation. VU will rule the PFL!

I would argue that volleyball, both soccer teams, baseball and softball have all been reasons to be proud of Crusader athletics as they've all be at the top or near the top of the Horizon League in the past 5 years, but it nice to have an improving Football team.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 03, 2015, 01:00:40 PM
Quote from: Oghbeicae9 on February 03, 2015, 12:39:06 PM

I would argue that volleyball, both soccer teams, baseball and softball have all been reasons to be proud of Crusader athletics as they've all be at the top or near the top of the Horizon League in the past 5 years, but it nice to have an improving Football team.
[/b]

In addition to men's golf (NCAA tourney 2012-2013), Bowling (NCAA tourney 2011-2012) and men's tennis currently playing with a top 50 doubles team nationally)

Oghbeicae9

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 03, 2015, 01:00:40 PM
Quote from: Oghbeicae9Now I understand! Thank you, valp094 and vu72! Where can I buy season tickets? For the first time in a long time, Crusader fans have another sports team to be proud of. 2014 was just the beginning of an exciting, remarkable transformation. VU will rule the PFL!

What I should have written is, "have yet another sports team to be proud of". Actually, I'm sure most of us were proud of the players during our less-than-stellar football years. Winning league championships, of course, always makes pride a bit more meaningful ... and contagious.

valp094

Trying to dig in a bit with the recruits listed as "committed" to see what we can learn about them.  I'm at work, so don't have a ton of time.  But, these QBs (the first two recruits on the list) look legit. 

Couldn't find much on Paliga through the national recruiting services, probably because he was behind a stud QB until his senior year, but took his team to the state championship in 3A.  Has playstation-like stats.  Local kid who went under the recruiting radar vs. his true abilities due to depth at his position, I believe.  A great pick up.  Commitment article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-andrea-paliga-commits-valpo-st-0131-20150130-story.html Season highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1351555/jake-paliga 

As for Roth, he was a three year starter for a MI powerhouse program (6 state championships since 2000 in the equivalent of 4A) and is athletic: senior highlights  Looks to have received a good bit of high-D1 interest -scout.com articles   and caught the eye of one national recruiting analyst-Tom Lemming-who ranked him a 4 star. 

From the past two years, it looks like the coaching staff likes to take two QBs with contrasting styles: a bigger pocket passer (Paliga, Clarke) and a mobile dual threat (Roth, Stokes). 

talksalot

College of Faith (Arkansas) Inaugural Football Season for the warriors

2015 GAME SCHEDULE

August 29, 2015                    Open               

September 5, 2015                McKendree University
September 12, 2015              @Louisiana College
September 19, 2015              @Valparaiso University
September 26, 2015              @Kentucky Wesleyan University

October 3, 2015                    @Houston Baptist University
October 10, 2015                  @Missouri S & T                 
October 17, 2015                  @COF Charlotte
October 24, 2015                  Open
October 31, 2015                  @Texas Southern University

November 7, 2015                University of North Carolina- Pemproke
November 14, 2015              Open
November 21, 2015              @University of Faith (FL)
November 28, 2015              Open

ASCAA National Championship TBA

Chief Humping Dog

Crusaders, this is my maiden post on your board as I became a Valpo fan over the weekend with Davis Harbin's commitment.

I am a (overly) proud family member but you guys just got a first class young man. His is a wonderful story that bears sharing.

His dad played hoops at Stetson in the late 80's. His grandfather played (late 50's) and was an assistant hoops coach (early 60's) at Stetson so I assumed it was fait accompli that he would go to Stetson. His dad was a CPA and SVP of Public Systems for HTE Sungard and on the fast track to a bigtime CEO job here in central FL. Unfortunately, he contracted a rare form of legionnaires disease and went from perfectly healthy to dead in the space of 3 days at the age of 41 in fall of 2008. Davis was in many ways a "mini me" of his dad. They did everything together... Magic games, UF football, playing hoops and golf, you name it... tight as thieves.

Davis had every excuse to quit achieving academically, to withdraw, to lose his behavioral discipline but instead never waivered, dedicated himself and busted his tail in the classroom, turned into a weight room rat, and became a leader in his household and an exceptional young man who is a fan favorite at Orangewood. There is not any situation that college football or classwork can present him that will be any tougher than what he has already gone through. He is mature way beyond his years, just like his dad and granddad were, and solid in every way.  He's tougher than boot leather on the field and a true gentleman off it... a winner in every conceivable way.

If you guys can recruit 24 other kids like him in this class you will be well on your way to establishing a winning program both on the field and off. 

Congratulations to y'all for getting such a fine young man and to davis for the next step in his life!!!

VULB#62

Sounds like a solid young man and the Valpo family (football and everything else) will be a place that he will enjoy and in which he will find academic challenge.  If you go back through board FB postings you'll see a generally positive and supportive network for our kids among posters.  And our board is one of the more active ones you'll find.  Davis is coming into an atmosphere that strives for excellence at many levels and athletics is one of them (but in the context of a well rounded education).  Looking forward to tomorrow's announcement.

vu72

Quote from: Chief Humping Dog on February 03, 2015, 03:04:52 PM
Crusaders, this is my maiden post on your board as I became a Valpo fan over the weekend with Davis Harbin's commitment.

I am a (overly) proud family member but you guys just got a first class young man. His is a wonderful story that bears sharing.

His dad played hoops at Stetson in the late 80's. His grandfather played (late 50's) and was an assistant hoops coach (early 60's) at Stetson so I assumed it was fait accompli that he would go to Stetson. His dad was a CPA and SVP of Public Systems for HTE Sungard and on the fast track to a bigtime CEO job here in central FL. Unfortunately, he contracted a rare form of legionnaires disease and went from perfectly healthy to dead in the space of 3 days at the age of 41 in fall of 2008. Davis was in many ways a "mini me" of his dad. They did everything together... Magic games, UF football, playing hoops and golf, you name it... tight as thieves.

Davis had every excuse to quit achieving academically, to withdraw, to lose his behavioral discipline but instead never waivered, dedicated himself and busted his tail in the classroom, turned into a weight room rat, and became a leader in his household and an exceptional young man who is a fan favorite at Orangewood. There is not any situation that college football or classwork can present him that will be any tougher than what he has already gone through. He is mature way beyond his years, just like his dad and granddad were, and solid in every way.  He's tougher than boot leather on the field and a true gentleman off it... a winner in every conceivable way.

If you guys can recruit 24 other kids like him in this class you will be well on your way to establishing a winning program both on the field and off. 

Congratulations to y'all for getting such a fine young man and to davis for the next step in his life!!!

Thank you for posting and welcome!  Can you tell us a bit about why he chose Valpo?  The coach?  The academics?  Did he have injuries that may have kept him back from a higher level?  Valpo has attracted great kids from all over the US.  I'm sure Davis will be glad he made this decision.

covufan

Quote from: Chief Humping Dog on February 03, 2015, 03:04:52 PM

Welcome to the board!  We look forward to watching Davis in the near future!

VULB#62

BTW, we've had a bunch of FLA players come to Valpo over the past 5 years (despite the snow and the cold -- geez, what were they thinking?) and, even when we weren't winning, the kids and their parents cited what a great educational and social experience it was.  I can't quote exact statistics, but they also graduated.

vumsb

Quote from: Oghbeicae9 on February 03, 2015, 08:57:40 AM
New member here! How many more recruits are needed to complete the 2015 class? Looks like 2 or 3 additional RBs would be a good idea?

;)

Not sure how many total recruits there will be. As far as running backs there are three upperclassman coming back that had major roles in the offense last year.