• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Cleveland St. at Valpo, Saturday 1/10/2015 7:05 p.m. CST

Started by Kyle321n, January 09, 2015, 01:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on January 11, 2015, 01:31:44 AM
Another good game for Adekoya. In the four games of conference, he has been a different player, except for his free throw shooting. His field goal shooting is 86% on 12-14. In fact, the big men have been excellent, as Vashil is shooting 71% on 15-21 from the field, giving the two a combined 27-35 (77%).
In conference or post suspension? 

I agree, he has played quite well.  His defense and rebounding is important as well.

HC

The pigs were about as bad as our point guards (pgs)! Lol...I would pay to see a swine soccer game before I'd pay to see a real one!

a3uge

chipper955

Attendance: 4155

The band wagon is starting to fill up. 

classof2014

If KC isn't back next game I would imagine Max will be our starting PG. He played well considering the type of opponent he went up against. In 20 minutes of play he had 3 assists to only 2 TOs, which isn't terrible for a freshman PG that was little used up until now. EVN was out of position last night, he's not a PG so he struggled playing a position that he shouldn't be playing.

If we want to win the conference we will need KC, we can't win every game like we did last night and teams will pressure our PGs more and more knowing that they are inexperienced, which will lead to turnovers.

oklahomamick

I agree E.Vic is not a point guard.  I still think he can do it from time to time.  Did he get the job done last night?  My opinion no, even though as pointed out several of his turnovers were miscommunication.  Remember against other HL opponents, their defense is not as demanding.  CSU is good 1v1 defending with their guard play.  I don't think we will be pressured as much as we were last night. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo84

This was a great win last night. That was a hard fought, gritty performance. These guys are tough. CSU will beat you up. They are aggressive defensively. They get in your shoes and shorts. They focus on defense to the point their offense suffers. But frankly it was a consistently reffed game last night. Should it have been called closer? Maybe but unlike some games it didn't effect the outcome.

1. Nickerson played huge. We asked a 3 to move to pg and he averaged 22 mins, 3 assts, 3.5 turnovers and 4.5 pts. He handled last night against the toughest or 2d in conference. An experienced team and backcourt. As mentioned there were 3 Tos that were miscommunication. He was exhausted in that 2d half. He had hip surgeries in the offseason. I am impressed by his heart.

2. Darien had a breakthrough game. He was 0-4 from 3 in 1st half. They were open shots in the O. It's the shot the 2 and 3 have to hit. He's struggled. But 2d half, bam he hits a big top of key 3 and then hit another. Tenacious. We need him hit that shot and it looks like something was said at the half. Hey shoot the freakin ball like you mean it. And the shot late was a 12 ft wide open baseline jumper. But he and Tevonn are playing ahead of expectations.

3. Jubril has looked focused and clear headed since conference started. Sometimes event + response = outcome. His response has been the correct one.

4. Sometimes we have to remember to run the O through Alec when we struggle a little. Just like Ryan or Oppland or Bryce, you need to get them involved. They ran a couple plays late for him and good things happened.

5. Even with the mistakes, we effectively shut down Lee and Lewis. Lewis 1 for 9 and Lee 3 for 8. Lee's 3 s were way deep. Vashil should be commended for playing nearly 10 mins with 4 fouls.

Need to go get a win at Wright State and then we will be in good shape in conference and hopefully Keith is back after that. Depth is good, but we need this full week, esp for EVN.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

Quote from: chipper955 on January 11, 2015, 09:28:03 AM

I was sitting in my seat looking around and thinking the same thing. I haven't heard the ARC rock like that in quite some time. The noise in the last 2 or 3 minutes was deafening, so much so that my ears were still ringing several minutes after the game ended. It's times like this that I really wish everyone on the board had the same opportunity we "locals" have to enjoy the moment in person.

classof2014

The ARC may be a bit behind the times, but there isn't an arena in the HL that is louder than ARC when it is full. I would rather be in the ARC then some of the nicer arenas that are way too big for what it is needed, like the Resch Center, Nutter Center, Wolstein Center. On most nights 3000ish people show up and the place is dark and empty and there is little to no noise. While when 3000 people are in the ARC the noise is noticeable and when 4000+ show up the place can be defining. The small confines of the ARC make for a great gametime atmosphere.

valpopal

Quote from: classof2014 on January 11, 2015, 10:58:58 AM
The ARC may be a bit behind the times, but there isn't an arena in the HL that is louder than ARC when it is full. I would rather be in the ARC then some of the nicer arenas that are way too big for what it is needed, like the Resch Center, Nutter Center, Wolstein Center. On most nights 3000ish people show up and the place is dark and empty and there is little to no noise. While when 3000 people are in the ARC the noise is noticeable and when 4000+ show up the place can be defining. The small confines of the ARC make for a great gametime atmosphere.

I spoke to a couple of players' parents who commented about how great the atmosphere can be in games like this one. A pair of my crowd shots:

VULB#62

Quote from: classof2014 on January 11, 2015, 10:58:58 AM

Much to be said for an environment like this -- when we get into those inevitably redundant facility discussions, we'd be well served to remember how important home court advantage is and do everything to leverage it.  For example, UNM has the 12,000 seat PIT, Duke has 9,300 seat Camron, and there are more of this type of venue around the NCAA.  Those facilities were built to intimidate visiting teams.  Within our scale (5,000-6,000 capacity), when we renovate the ARC, we need to not lose sight of that.   

Valpofan00

This is so true. Majority of Valpo fans around this time and in big games are bandwagoners. I wish we had more dedicated ones.

justducky

Quote from: Valpofan00 on January 11, 2015, 11:52:57 AM

This is so true. Majority of Valpo fans around this time and in big games are bandwagoners. I wish we had more dedicated ones.
The time to build this "dedicated" future fan base is NOW!

It shouldn't come as a shock to anyone who has watched this team that we are already very good, should be much better by the end of the season, and could be exponentially better next year and beyond. Does the average northwest Indiana basketball fan have any clue as to the potential success this group of kids could achieve??? Get kids in the building! Almost free tickets for youth! Maybe Homer or somebody needs to turn promoter and have some lengthy phone chats with HS coaches and athletic directors all across the area and invite them to the ARC. Lets use our imagination and not squander yet another opportunity to expand the fan base. Excuse me for using the same wording for this challenge as I did for the challenge that we need to vastly improve next years scheduling. But---

Get err done!!!

Valpofan00

Quote from: justducky on January 11, 2015, 01:19:08 PM
Quote from: Valpofan00 on January 11, 2015, 11:52:57 AM

The time to build this "dedicated" future fan base is NOW!

It shouldn't come as a shock to anyone who has watched this team that we are already very good, should be much better by the end of the season, and could be exponentially better next year and beyond. Does the average northwest Indiana basketball fan have any clue as to the potential success this group of kids could achieve??? Get kids in the building! Almost free tickets for youth! Maybe Homer or somebody needs to turn promoter and have some lengthy phone chats with HS coaches and athletic directors all across the area and invite them to the ARC. Lets use our imagination and not squander yet another opportunity to expand the fan base. Excuse me for using the same wording for this challenge as I did for the challenge that we need to vastly improve next years scheduling. But---

Get err done!!!
I think a lot of people take VU as a joke and haven't watched them play in a while. There needs to be better/more promoting as said. Every game should be sold out. 5,000 isn't a lot compared to the size of Valpo especially NWI.

VULB#62

Hear, hear, Ducky and 00.

Cut seating prices.  Bring in a minor league baseball marketing guy as a consultant for zany ideas.  Have sausage races at half time. Pay for adds that run daily in the NWI Times and Post Trib  web sites (Merrillville football has ads running all the time and they are HS).  Promote, promote, promote!  Make the ARC synonymous with crazy.  People will want to come just to be part of the action.  Oh, BTW, we have a really good BB team that wins.

historyman

Quote from: HC on January 11, 2015, 09:12:58 AM...I would pay to see a swine soccer game before I'd pay to see a real one!

Thanks for supporting Valpo soccer!  ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

Ha, I will cheer for ya...I just won't pay to watch.  :twocents:

wh

Quote from: valpo84 on January 11, 2015, 10:17:55 AM
This was a great win last night. That was a hard fought, gritty performance. These guys are tough. CSU will beat you up. They are aggressive defensively. They get in your shoes and shorts. They focus on defense to the point their offense suffers. But frankly it was a consistently reffed game last night. Should it have been called closer? Maybe but unlike some games it didn't effect the outcome.

1. Nickerson played huge. We asked a 3 to move to pg and he averaged 22 mins, 3 assts, 3.5 turnovers and 4.5 pts. He handled last night against the toughest or 2d in conference. An experienced team and backcourt. As mentioned there were 3 Tos that were miscommunication. He was exhausted in that 2d half. He had hip surgeries in the offseason. I am impressed by his heart.

2. Darien had a breakthrough game. He was 0-4 from 3 in 1st half. They were open shots in the O. It's the shot the 2 and 3 have to hit. He's struggled. But 2d half, bam he hits a big top of key 3 and then hit another. Tenacious. We need him hit that shot and it looks like something was said at the half. Hey shoot the freakin ball like you mean it. And the shot late was a 12 ft wide open baseline jumper. But he and Tevonn are playing ahead of expectations.

3. Jubril has looked focused and clear headed since conference started. Sometimes event + response = outcome. His response has been the correct one.

4. Sometimes we have to remember to run the O through Alec when we struggle a little. Just like Ryan or Oppland or Bryce, you need to get them involved. They ran a couple plays late for him and good things happened.

5. Even with the mistakes, we effectively shut down Lee and Lewis. Lewis 1 for 9 and Lee 3 for 8. Lee's 3 s were way deep. Vashil should be commended for playing nearly 10 mins with 4 fouls.

Need to go get a win at Wright State and then we will be in good shape in conference and hopefully Keith is back after that. Depth is good, but we need this full week, esp for EVN.

He had a lot better day than Oakland's Felder, with 8 TO's against Detroit.  The kid is a scorer and an assist machine, but he is gawd awful at protecting the ball.  In fact, he has the dubious distinction of having the 2nd highest number of TO's/game in all of D-1 basketball @ 4.5.  I would grade him this way as a point guard: Scoring B, Assists A+, Turnovers F. 

oklahomamick

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 11, 2015, 02:44:38 PM

Cut seating prices.  Bring in a minor league baseball marketing guy as a consultant for zany ideas.  Have sausage races at half time. Pay for adds that run daily in the NWI Times and Post Trib  web sites (Merrillville football has ads running all the time and they are HS).  Promote, promote, promote!  Make the ARC synonymous with crazy.  People will want to come just to be part of the action.  Oh, BTW, we have a really good BB team that wins.

This could be a project within the marketing or sports administration programs. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 11, 2015, 05:18:20 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on January 11, 2015, 02:44:38 PM

This could be a project within the marketing or sports administration programs.

In the past, a number of people have legitimately suggested Valparaiso did not capitalize in the aftermath as much as it should have when Bryce was a player and led the team to the Sweet Sixteen. We now have a player who could be the best ever to wear a Crusader uniform not named Bryce Drew, and he is only a sophomore. Plus, Bryce Drew is his coach. Therefore, Valpo has a chance to market this team led by Alec Peters for the next three years, and it would be wise if the marketing blitz began right now and continued relentlessly.

Valpo89

Nice suggestion to contact high school coaches to try to get them to bring their teams. The problem with that is, a lot of times the high school games are going on at the same time.
$10 is pretty steep as well for a general admission ticket. No one should have to pay that much, especially for a game like Goshen.

Valpofan00

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 11, 2015, 06:29:09 PM
Nice suggestion to contact high school coaches to try to get them to bring their teams. The problem with that is, a lot of times the high school games are going on at the same time.
$10 is pretty steep as well for a general admission ticket. No one should have to pay that much, especially for a game like Goshen.
I disagree. For seeing good D-1 basketball where every seat in the Arena is a good view besides ZZ up top is pretty cheap! But I agree For non D-1, and exhibition should be cheaper. Also I think the ARC drives fans away from coming to the games as well.

vu72

Quote from: Valpofan00 on January 11, 2015, 07:04:00 PM
I disagree. For seeing good D-1 basketball where every seat in the Arena is a good view besides ZZ up top is pretty cheap! But I agree For non D-1, and exhibition should be cheaper. Also I think the ARC drives fans away from coming to the games as well.

Sevewral hyave posted about the great, unique atmosphere at the ARC.  So what exactly is it that you feel the ARC lacks that drives fans away?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpofan00

Quote from: vu72 on January 11, 2015, 07:11:28 PM
Quote from: Valpofan00 on January 11, 2015, 07:04:00 PM

Sevewral hyave posted about the great, unique atmosphere at the ARC.  So what exactly is it that you feel the ARC lacks that drives fans away?

Oh yes the atmosphere is great. The problem is the tight seating with a big crowd. Peoples knees in your back. Not enough room very uncomfortable. I can put up with it but the "not every day fan" most likely hates it and would rather watch the game at home.

wh

Speaking of lifeless atmospheres, tune in to GB hosting YSU on ESPN 3.  GB is up by 5 at the half. Listen to the coach's instructions, squeaking tennis shoes as the teams go thru their sets, and be sure to not to miss a male cheerleader yelling "go Phoenix" in a megaphone.  Then again, GB is only 13-3 and are the defending HL regular season champions.  Hard to expect a whole lot under those circumstances.