• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

UWGB @ Valpo, Friday 2/13/15 6:00 CST tip ESPN2

Started by talksalot, February 09, 2015, 02:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: Pathfinder on February 13, 2015, 08:43:20 PM
Detroit is choking, lead to 4 with Cleveland State at the foul line.

Juwan Howard Jr. comes through with a three with five seconds left to give Detroit the 66-65 win.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

I found this among GB's 11 posts about our game:  Returning from Florida to Green Bay, my wife and I made it a point to take a small detour to Valpo. One thing very apparent to me how much physically stronger the Valpo players appeared.

Couldn't agree more. Bryce has decided to bring in kids with muscle.  Oh, we now have 152 posts to their 11.  Really sad.  We need to find a different conference...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on February 13, 2015, 06:56:53 PM
Ugly half by both teams.

In person, it felt like really intense defense.

Ugly half, for sure (and ugly game, in many ways).  And some sloppiness on fast breaks, or trying to push things generally.  But, it's not like the poor execution was unforced.

justducky

Max Joseph with 5 fouls in only 14 minutes? Those are Moussa Gueye type numbers! But he played hard while he lasted!   :thumbsup:

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on February 13, 2015, 07:15:35 PM
This team is not very good at the entry pass.  Where are some of those KVW clear out a side and throw it over the top.

You are allowed to throw it into the back court, right?  Didn't see it once.

What'd we, turn it over... twice?  Three times?  On inbounds passes?   And had to call at least one timeout?

agibson

Quote from: covufan on February 13, 2015, 07:31:12 PMBut, based on previously stats, you should bet the mortgage on getting the win.  Or the 11 point lead.

I did _eventually_ feel comfortable, somewhere medium late in the second half.  But, I'm glad that I didn't bet the house!  Even a mortgage payment would have made me awfully nervous in the last 60-90 seconds.  What a catastrophic sequence, with Peters (?!) missing two, their making one, getting the offensive board on the miss, and putting it back in.  Five point swing with the clock practically stopped.  Throat constricting stuff, for sure.

HC

Someone start a Milwaukee thread! I haven't started one all year and refuse to do it now.

78crusader

Missed the game.  Will there be a replay I can watch?

Paul

HC

You didn't miss much.

I wish the students could see how much of a difference they make when they are there vs when they aren't. The kid with the white board was fantastic. "Keifer loves Christian Grey".....good stuff!

FWalum

Who thinks that Tevonn Walker deserves Freshman of the Week now? 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: 78crusader on February 13, 2015, 10:15:57 PM
Missed the game.  Will there be a replay I can watch?

The replay was up on ESPN3 an hour ago, or more.  They were really prompt tonight!

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on February 13, 2015, 10:19:28 PM
Who thinks that Tevonn Walker deserves Freshman of the Week now? 

Bass limited to 7 points in 21 minutes tonight.

Maybe...

nkvu

Not a pretty game but to quote the philosopher Al Davis, "Just win, baby!"

LaPorteAveApostle

Had to miss the game; was thinking about not finding out and watching the replay, then my MIL texts me that she's at Longhorn Steakhouse "watching Valpo whup GB" and figured, well, that's better than taking two hours to find out.

Watching highlights on ESPN and reading the thread at the same time.  You guys are a fun way to catch up "in real time".

What a win! 

Now...Tiby, or not Tiby...that is the question.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

Green Bay had 11 blocks, not counting the block on E.victor dunk as the buzzer sounded. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valporun

The last 3:56 of the game felt like FOREVER!! I mean I'm glad we pulled the game out, but it seemed like that last segment of the game took 20 minutes. Both games against GB were great this season. Kept my attention all the time, and very worthwhile.

SanityLost17

Anybody else think that Sykes might have been playing with an un-diagnosed concussion?  Looked very out of sorts to me.  I have seen him at his best and he is electric.  Between the YSU game and tonight, I have to wonder if that blow to the head on Wednesday has him rattled... 

a3uge

Quote from: valporun on February 13, 2015, 11:26:25 PM
The last 3:56 of the game felt like FOREVER!! I mean I'm glad we pulled the game out, but it seemed like that last segment of the game took 20 minutes.

15 of those minutes were Tevon's free throw routine.

historyman

Quote from: FWalum on February 13, 2015, 11:40:59 AMThere was a marked difference between the two teams.  YSU just got tighter and tighter while GB seemed to play with a lot of confidence.  I hope it is not a 1 or 2 possesion game during that final minute. Not that we can't handle it, but I do think they have a slight advantage in that area.

Very prophetic. Valpo barely handled the come back by GB.

I really think the big key at the end of the game was not that Valpo missed so many FTs. It was that GB missed a lot of FTs near the end of the game also. The FTs ended up almost being equal with GB hitting 20 for 29 and Valpo hitting 1.3% less, 21 for 31.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on February 13, 2015, 01:44:05 PM
Quote from: valpo84 on February 13, 2015, 01:19:37 PM
Valpo-Green Bay game discussed in the SI.com Mid-Major Report for the week. Author also talks about Murray State's Cameron Payne....http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/02/13/mid-major-cameron-payne-murray-state

I don't agree that Alec will have to play his best for Valpo to win this game. You have to believe that Sykes has to play his best but Valpo definitely has the offensive fire power to win with out a lot of scoring from Peters. Darien, Tavonn, Vashil, Jubril, Keith, E.Victor and David are all capable of increasing their scoring to compensate for any lesser scoring from Alec. Even when Alec doesn't have his best game he seems to do just enough scoring to put Valpo over the top and do the important things that bring victories.

+1 to bbtds here ;)

bombkicker

Very disappointed in the overall game of E. Victor Nickerson. Very weak ball handling skills and doesn't do much better playing on the ball defense. I don't care that Peters missed those last 2 FTS, he should never pass at the end of the game.

historyman

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 13, 2015, 04:52:34 PM
Quote from: bbtds on February 13, 2015, 04:35:24 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on February 13, 2015, 03:34:36 PMLet's have Alec get his 10-15 points and let someone who isn't getting hounded get 20-25 points.
This is more in line with what I was thinking. Alec always seems to get his 10-15 points no matter what. He doesn't necessarily have to get his average or play his best. Here's the quote from the SI story: If the Crusaders are going to split the season series, they'll need Peters Nickerson T Walker to play his best.
FTFThem
FTFThem & Y
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on February 14, 2015, 02:46:37 AM
Valpo-Green Bay game discussed in the SI.com Mid-Major Report for the week. Author also talks about Murray State's Cameron Payne....http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/02/13/mid-major-cameron-payne-murray-state

I don't agree that Alec will have to play his best for Valpo to win this game. You have to believe that Sykes has to play his best but Valpo definitely has the offensive fire power to win with out a lot of scoring from Peters. Darien, Tavonn, Vashil, Jubril, Keith, E.Victor and David are all capable of increasing their scoring to compensate for any lesser scoring from Alec. Even when Alec doesn't have his best game he seems to do just enough scoring to put Valpo over the top and do the important things that bring victories.

+1 to bbtds here ;)
In case you want to go back and like that quoted post, it's on page 4, 8th from the bottom.  ;D

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on February 14, 2015, 08:09:07 AM
Quote from: a3uge on February 14, 2015, 02:46:37 AM

+1 to bbtds here ;)
In case you want to go back and like that quoted post, it's on page 4, 8th from the bottom.  ;D

I find that "keys to the game" and the like are typically always wrong in hilarious fashion, but it never stops anyone from doing them.