• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bye Strongbow's...

Started by talksalot, February 10, 2015, 12:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Wow.  Sad to hear.  I remember the changes made in the 1980's, all for the better.  Was sad to hear two years ago that the Russ and Nancy had sold the place.  Wondering if they would want to re-enter the restaurant business?

Kyle321n

Since Luke took over the quality really dropped. Apparently Russ and Nancy were basically hemorrhaging money which caused them to sell. I'm not super surprised by this but it's disappointing to be losing a Valpo institution. Granted I considered the institution dead when they sold.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

agibson

Talk about a Valparaiso institution!   I wonder if they'll be able to keep the brunch experience relatively intact, if the kitchen's not operating on a daily basis.

I didn't realize they'd been bought out by Luke Oil (July 2013; nor that Luke had bought County Line Orchard!).  I don't think I've been there in the Luke era; had it changed much?  (Sorry, apparently I posted this without reading the whole thread; still happy to hear details, if anyone wants to talk about the changes.)

Sounds like this is the last week for the regular menu, with a reduced menu coming into effect a week from now.

agibson

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 10, 2015, 01:18:34 PMGranted I considered the institution dead when they sold.

Even before Luke bought it, it was hardly in my "Top 5" list of Valpo restaurants.  Unless maybe my grandmother was visiting, or I had some reason to want really traditional fare.

I enjoyed going, but once every couple of years was enough. 

Still, sad to see it go/change/diminish.

(I have similar feelings about my patronage of Billy Jack's, but I liked the food at Billy Jack's much better!  There were just so many other places in town, I didn't get there as often as I should have...)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on February 10, 2015, 03:07:14 PMI didn't realize they'd been bought out by Luke Oil
consider this "exhibit A" for "why you shouldn't sell your cherished family business slash community institution to a soulless corporation"

i agree with what you said about it, though, 'gibson.  it's kind of like a bus service...you don't use it like you once did, maybe, but by GOD you will NOT STAND for it being killed off.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 10, 2015, 03:17:21 PMconsider this "exhibit A" for "why you shouldn't sell your cherished family business slash community institution to a soulless corporation"

And, with County Line, it seems like Luke's trying to corner the market on this particular move.

I wonder if my County Line reports _are_ from the Luke era.  I've not been myself, but from what I've heard from parents who _did_ go on that field trip, it's expensive, a bit assembly line, etc.  I'd expect that from Fair Oaks, and maybe it's OK for a mass field trip destination.  But, it seems like a commercial/tourist orchard wouldn't _have_ to be that way.

Valpo Velvet seems to strike a balance, say.  Maybe I need to keep an eye out for the sale announcement!

Kyle321n

Quote from: agibson on February 10, 2015, 03:14:39 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on February 10, 2015, 01:18:34 PMGranted I considered the institution dead when they sold.

Even before Luke bought it, it was hardly in my "Top 5" list of Valpo restaurants.  Unless maybe my grandmother was visiting, or I had some reason to want really traditional fare.

I enjoyed going, but once every couple of years was enough. 

Still, sad to see it go/change/diminish.

(I have similar feelings about my patronage of Billy Jack's, but I liked the food at Billy Jack's much better!  There were just so many other places in town, I didn't get there as often as I should have...)

It's funny you mention Billy Jack's. Since I live in Chandana Point it was the closest "bar" within walking distance that wasn't crazy overpriced for drinks or a complete scumhole. In our first few months of marriage if we wanted to grab a drink outside of the house (once a week or so) we would go to Billy Jack's. Then they closed and now we have to drive someplace to grab a beer or two which isn't nearly as convenient and it was nice in the summer to be able to walk to the local watering hole. The northside of Valpo is lacking that.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

crusaderjoe

Yeah, Strongbow's was a Porter County institution for sure but I find myself much more saddened by The Patio closing outright recently.  There wasn't even enough time to fly up for a last meal.  Boo!

agibson

Yeah, I was kind of hoping for something similar, in terms of walking instance options, from "Parkside Urban Bistro".  But, after reading the early Yelp reviews, I didn't have the heart to try it.  And, they don't seem to have improved much with time.  The latest, "think of it more as a bar with some food than as a bistro" actually offers me some hope...

In recent years I probably ate more Billy Jack's in Central Park Plaza than I did at the restaurant.  Tasty meat lollipop's, for example. 

Sad that _both_ of my favorite "good or pretty good food, eclectic combination of cuisines on the menu" places are gone.  (RIP Maria Elena's)

I'm still auditioning for a replacement for Bistro 157, as well.  Dish is making a play, but maybe I need to get there for lunch more often...

vu72

Very sad when you think that it goes back to the 30's.  But, so many restaurants are gone from back in the day.  Remember the Big Wheel or The Orange Bowl?  Lot's of good memories...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

Fazel's   (why did you make me think of that?)....

LaPorteAveApostle

I'm partial to D'Oeuvres By Dottie, but only because I worked there.

Let's see...what else is there to miss?

THE COURT we used to play open mics there to try out new songs but the food was never that special.

talksalot

The Gathering and the Donut Hut.... and Trilby's in the Union.   ok, knock it off... I'm on a fricking diet!

valpospartan

Quote from: talksalot on February 10, 2015, 08:58:14 PM
Fazel's   (why did you make me think of that?)....

Absolute worst pizza!

talksalot

Back to the topic at hand... here's the Post-Tribune's article... with a twist on the other items...

February 10, 2015, 4:54 PM

VALPARAISO – Grab your turkey schnitzel while you can..

Luke Oil Co., the owners of the longstanding Strongbow Inn, announced Tuesday that on March 29, they will shut down the restaurant, bakery and Bow Bar because those enterprises are not thriving financially.

The restaurant will switch to offering a limited menu on Tuesdays. The banquet and bar will still be available for hosting catered and special events with traditional Strongbow turkey favorites, and the venue will continue to offer buffet brunches for Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day and Thanksgiving.

Tom Collins Sr., president of Luke Oil, called the decision "a more difficult experience than we originally imagined," and cited the company's lack of experience in restaurant management as a hindrance to improving that side of the business.

"At the end of the day, Valpo is the most competitive restaurant market in Northwest Indiana, and Strongbow must adapt to survive," Collins said.

Luke Oil bought the 75-year-old restaurant from third-generation owners Russ and Nancy Adams in July 2013, and has invested more than $700,000 remodeling the four banquet rooms and new Bow Bar.

"Our vision was to remodel and upgrade the Strongbow banquet offerings and work to consolidate the operations with County Line Orchard events. We are starting to see positive events results due to increased bookings and a more structured offering," Collins said. "Unfortunately we have gained little to no traction on sales and operations in the dining room or retail bakery. The sales are still unable to support the overhead and carrying costs of the facility."

The Bow Bar is a great space, said Ryan Richardson, operations partner with Luke Oil, "but the customer base didn't come there."

Since the remodeling of the banquet facilities, however, the facility went from hosting one wedding last year to having 20 scheduled this year.

The limited menu for the restaurant's last few weeks of regular operation will allow customers to enjoy "the core turkey items that everybody loves," said Richardson, adding he's been eating Strongbow turkey pot pies since he was 5.

"Everyone has such a connection to it," he said.

A restaurant group from Chicago wants to take over the restaurant and bar, Richardson said, adding, "it will be a restaurant with a different concept" that will open in November.

Even after that, Richardson said, Strongbow will continue to offer banquet and event facilities.

Strongbow has about 80 employees, he said, and those who choose to stay with the company will be offered other jobs.

According to Strongbow's website, the original owners of the restaurant were Dr. Walter Thrun and his wife, Bess, who opened it in the early 1940s. When Walter Thrun died in 1951, Caroline Thrun Adams and her husband, Chuck, remained and ran the restaurant for the next several decades.

Russ Adams and his wife Nancy, a former Porter County Commissioner, purchased the restaurant from his parents in 1993.

classof2014

Sad to see the restaurant go, at least they aren't completely going by the wayside, they're still going to be open in terms of banquets and special event brunches.

I no longer live Valpo but as a student one thing I wish Valpo had was more places for good cheap food, being a student I couldn't afford just about anything downtown and there wasn't a latenight place other than Steak n' Shake that would be open to grab a quick bite. Broadway pissed me off when they referred to my wife, then girlfriend at the time, as the girl.

Valpo needs a place right across from campus that serves good cheap food and cheap drinks as well but is more of a restaurant than a bar. If there would've been a place like that I would've frequented it quite often.

talksalot

Yatz, Kaboda, Uptown Café all immediately adjacent to campus.

Culvers, Tomato Bar, Dickey's, Five-Guys, QDoba, Panera, McDonalds, Gelsosomos, Chili's, Pizza Hut, Wendy's, Bob Evans, TGIFridays, Red Robin, Noodles and Co; ... all within about 3/4 mile of campus... about the same distance as Jimmy's, depending on where you are staying.

Concession Stand in the ARC during games.  ;D

agibson

By Kaboda do you mean Barada Kabob?

http://www.baradakabob.com
http://www.yelp.com/biz/barada-kabob-valparaiso

Definitely a welcome addition to the neighborhood!

Or, is there another place I should also know about?

talksalot

Quote from: agibson on February 11, 2015, 12:16:16 PMBy Kaboda do you mean Barada Kabob?

sorry.. I rely on "Spell Checker" and I didn't look... I haven't been there yet, but the students like it.