• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football Pre-season - 2015

Started by VULB#62, April 20, 2015, 11:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 26, 2015, 04:53:02 PM
Here's Brandon Vickrey's article on QB Dalton Stokes who is the apparent front-runner for starting QB.  Scott Staal is also listed as a 1st stringer. I'm sure both will see lots of action vs. EKU.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-football-valparaiso-st-0826-20150825-story.html

Tidbits:
Paligia has demonstrated good mechanics and arm strength, but there is so much to learn for him that Cecchini is looking at Spring Ball for him to compete for playing time.

Brandon Hall is now going full speed after ankle surgery in the off season  :)

Bad News on the QB Front (from somewhere I can't find but I am sure I saw):
Conner Smith has had a labrum injury and will be lost for the season  :(  Poor kid -- can't buy a break.  He signed with us for last year, then backed out, but enrolled at the semester. So this'll be a medical redshirt or he will unenroll (is that a word) for the semester or something.  I feel for the kid.  I watched is HS video clips and was really impressed.

Could you please copy and paste the article?  Won't let me see it without a subscription.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

STOKED ON STOKES

Redshirt freshman Dalton Stokes has watched from the sidelines for long enough.  The Valparaiso quarterback looked on for all of last season, with starter Ben Lehman, backup Scott Staal and third-stringer Ryan Clarke all in front of him on the depth chart.
Stokes sat out his freshman season. An untimely elbow injury during preseason camp caused him to fall behind, and he was never able to recover.

Until now.

As preparations for the 2015 season continue, Stokes has emerged as the leading candidate to succeed the graduated Lehman under center.  "You can sometimes get mopey when you're not playing," Stokes said. "I learned in the middle of the season to take it for what it is, work your butt off and compete."

Stokes, who is from Florida, took first-team reps during preseason practices last week. Staal and Clarke are the other top quarterback candidates, with freshmen Conner Smith and Jake Paliga also seeing time.

Paliga, an Andrean graduate, is unlikely to be in the starting mix this season.  "He's shown he can make all the throws, and he's got great feet," Valparaiso coach Dave Cecchini said of Paliga. "He's got a chance to be a very good quarterback. With the complexity of our offense right now, more likely than not it will be spring ball when he's going to push for playing time."

According to Cecchini, all five quarterbacks underperformed in the team's first intrasquad scrimmage. Inexperienced receivers may have played a role, as Frank Catrine and Ryan Shea both sat out, and freshmen accounted for all but one of the team's receptions.

Although Stokes is currently the front-runner to start, Cecchini has not ruled out playing multiple quarterbacks in the season opener on Sept. 3 at Eastern Kentucky. The Crusaders are in the process of narrowing down the quarterback competition from five to two by the end of preseason camp.

Hall returns from ankle injury:
Brandon Hall has returned to the practice field after missing the spring season due to a high ankle sprain. The injury, which lingered throughout the 2014 season, caused Hall to undergo offseason surgery. He saw live action in last week's practices for the first time during camp.  Hall, the team's leading returning rusher, averaged 71.2 yards as a junior last year.
"He's got some rust to shake off," Cecchini said. "It's about making that mental adjustment to trust that ankle to be able to cut like he did prior to the injury. From a cardiovascular standpoint, it's about making sure that he's in football shape."

New faces plentiful for Crusaders:
Half of Valparaiso's roster is made up of true freshmen, creating a learning curve in preseason practices.
"You have a lot of guys jumping offside, not knowing what formation to line up in, forgetting who they are blocking," Cecchini said. "Practice on a whole has gone a little bit slower because of the number of freshmen that have been out there. It's a great freshmen class, but they're all freshmen. That's the problem."

Since much of the team's youth comes on the offensive side of the ball, added pressure falls on an experienced defense.
"We're going to be the pillars to our success," senior linebacker Alex Green said. "This defense is going to have to step up and make some plays."

vumsb

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 28, 2015, 12:05:36 PM
These are the all-white away unis and to me it looks like the dark trim around the metallic gold striping and numbers is brown along with the crusader lettering.  I could be wrong. Waiting for the home jerseys and thinking they will be brown with the metallic gold striping and numbers.

They are not getting new home jerseys. FYI last year the team always wore all white unis (their old ones) to their away games.

VULB#62

Knew that about the white away jerseys.  We're talking color here, and I also recall a "goldish" jersey and a brown jersey.  Last year's Brown, then for home games??

vumsb

Brown and gold jerseys at home I'm guessing. Doubt we will ever see the brown pants. They were never worn last year. My guess is new white pants every game. Really hope they can replace the home uniforms next year.

historyman

All I can say is I'm really glad our founder's name was not Henry Baker Pink.

His wife's name would have been Geneva Axe Pink.

It is true that the route on the CTA that has the greater percentage of women train operators is the Pink Line.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann