• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football Pre-season - 2015

Started by VULB#62, April 20, 2015, 11:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

goes to show how weak the SEC is!

VULB#62

Valpo Athletic site release for the first day of pre-season camp (today):

http://valpoathletics.com/football/news/2015-16/14756/crusaders-open-2015-camp-with-a-fresh-tone/#.VcOSVfvn_4Y

Player names mentioned are essentially the same as Cecchini's  PFL Coaches audio interview.  One comment he made, however, that points to the need to sort out who will be the starting QB going into the PFL season is that as many as 3 QBs could see action in the OOC games.  And my guess it could be all of the QBs if the College of Faith game reaches mercy rule status.

I like the idea that he is willing to experiment against the likes of EKU and SHU. The temptation is to do everything in order to minimize the scoring spread, but we need to find the right guy to be competitive in the PFL.  If that means sacrificing a closer loss to, say, EKU for a better understanding of who will be the eventual starting QB, so be it.  SHU, might be closer to a possible upset, but even there, the objective is to be ready for the PFL schedule.

This is going to be an interesting next 27 days before the EKU game. Good luck to all the kids and I hope that we stay injury free going into that first test.

VULB#62

Jason Miran (OC)and Ernest Moore (DC) miked up during a practice.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2015-16/14760/micd-up-with-valpo-football/#.VcpMA8a4ko8

Love the teaching that's going on in this short (2:30) video. 

valpopal

I stopped by to check out practice yesterday and to get back to taking some photos. After speaking with a few players and coaches, I noticed the tone and atmosphere appear different this year. The players seem more positive, relaxed, and confident. The coaches sound upbeat as well. Last year when I attended preseason practice, even the veteran players acted a bit hesitant and uncertain, a couple asking me if the team looked better than in the past, as if they were hopeful but had doubts. Also, last year's preseason practices were held at the open site near the baseball field because the track was still under construction and the atmosphere felt almost informal, but this year practice at Brown Field feels more formal and official. I liked what I saw. Here are a few of the images I captured.

VULB#62

Interesting observations Pal. Familiarity with each other, the staff and the system breeds confidence and a belief in what they are doing.  That's a big factor.  So does knowing that they are actually capable of winning games now - that has a lot to do with it too.

Pics are as good as ever, BTW.

vumsb

Great pictures. Kids look focused and you can see the intensity in their eyes. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VU2624

Caught today's full squad scrimmage. Not good. Some likely offensive starters on the sidelines and not playing but a step backwards from Spring.

vumsb

Agreed. Aside from a few snaps it was pretty much all freshmen today. Looked nothing like spring.

valpochgo

I was there also today.....  If the upperclassman don't stay healthy it's going to be a long season.  I was impressed with the freshman running back #24.  He looks pretty good.

valpopal

I didn't have a chance to stay for the entire scrimmage, but I have to agree with the previous observations. The players looked okay in individual drills, but there was a lack of unity in the team play. Obviously, practices only began a little more than a week ago, and not all the upperclassmen participated. For instance, Brandon Hall was on the sideline. However, as mentioned, it was hard not to notice that there were so many freshmen. In fact, as I was going through the photos I snapped, almost all were of newcomers. They seem talented, but will need more time to work into the system.

In some areas, Valpo already has depth, but in positions vacated by graduating seniors, there will be a learning curve. Here are pictures I took of a few freshmen. The first two display passes caught by Ryan Moore and Mason Sutter, who are among the players who will need to fill spots that opened when Kuramata and Cassara graduated. The third photo shows Legend Choudhry, who impressed me with his quickness and speed. However, he likely will be competing at running back, a place that already does have some depth with Bastin, Hutson, Hall, and Catrine. I hope the coaches find playing time for Legend.

VU2624

I agree that the freshman involvement was a big factor and I can only imagine how it makes practice slow to a crawl at this point. I think 2 WRs (Catrine is a WR not a RB) who will likely start, leading RB and an OL were out on offense. QBs were a bit flatfooted across the board which can come from an inexperienced WR crew running non committed routes. 24 did look good. Not sure how you evaluate the defense with a lot of muck on offense. In the spring, the offense moved the ball down the field fairly easily.

valpopal

I agree that Catrine is a wide receiver, but on the depth chart, if Hutson, Bastin, and Hall are unavailable, then Catrine becomes a rushing option because of his versatility and experience. I'm hoping the coaches see that versatility in Legend as well, and possibly use him as a spot receiver or returner at times if he can't get in the backfield because the running back position is clogged with veteran players.   

VU2624

Morgan might be more of an option at RB at this point. Catrine is pretty well entrenched as the guy taking over for Kuramata.

VULB#62

Anyone see the second scrimmage of the preseason yesterday?  Saw where it might have been broadcast via Periscope but haven't seen any links yet. 

valporun

Check on either the Valpo Athletics Facebook or Twitter accounts, but I'm not sure if there were links there either. I haven't watched it myself, but I don't have enough space on my phone for an app I won't use a lot,  based on available time for the things I would use it for.

VULB#62

Yep. Got the app and watched some of the drills prior to the actual scrimmage. Will pick up later.

VULB#62

Check out the new FB uniforms on the Valpo FB Twitter site. Pants have "Crusaders" down the leg. Quite a media day as well.

valpo64

Anyone have pics of the new unis for posting here? 

VULB#62

Checked out Brad Collignon's Twitter page as well about media day. Two things stand out:  1) Stokes and Stall are sharing 1st team reps, and 2) the 2 deep has a lot of freshmen spinkled in.

@bradcollignon

@valpoufootball ---- you can see the unis  on this site.

Stokes (6' 1") is a lot like Ben was last year -- mobile, can run the option, and can throw on the run.  Scott (6' 5") is more a classic pocket passer and less mobile. Versus EKU, their pass rush might require Stokes' agility to get outside and make the passing game viable. Scott might be better suited for PFL level teams whose rush might not be as intense thus giving him the time he needs to go deep wIth his stronger arm.  And behind them there are three pretty good underclassmen too.

VULB#62

Here's Brandon Vickrey's article on QB Dalton Stokes who is the apparent front-runner for starting QB.  Scott Staal is also listed as a 1st stringer. I'm sure both will see lots of action vs. EKU.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-football-valparaiso-st-0826-20150825-story.html

Tidbits:
Paligia has demonstrated good mechanics and arm strength, but there is so much to learn for him that Cecchini is looking at Spring Ball for him to compete for playing time.

Brandon Hall is now going full speed after ankle surgery in the off season  :)

Bad News on the QB Front (from somewhere I can't find but I am sure I saw):
Conner Smith has had a labrum injury and will be lost for the season  :(  Poor kid -- can't buy a break.  He signed with us for last year, then backed out, but enrolled at the semester. So this'll be a medical redshirt or he will unenroll (is that a word) for the semester or something.  I feel for the kid.  I watched is HS video clips and was really impressed.

valpo64

What is the deal with our teams staying away from using BROWN and GOLD for uniforms????  I know that last year MLaB said Bryce wanted black instead of brown, but com'on, who is in charge here?  If they don't like just brown and gold, add a third color or something.  Remember "Hail To The BROWN and GOLD"? Do people think that using black as a second color is something unique?

VULB#62

These are the all-white away unis and to me it looks like the dark trim around the metallic gold striping and numbers is brown along with the crusader lettering.  I could be wrong. Waiting for the home jerseys and thinking they will be brown with the metallic gold striping and numbers.

usc4valpo

I am not a big fan of brown either, but there is a national trend to modify uniforms of late.

I do not like the all white but probably something to get used. I like our new logos for sure.

VULB#62

I'm seeing more brown showing up in our uniforms, like men's soccer -- all brown with white trim (see the pic of Jordan Aiduod in the article of MSO ranking #2 in the HL poll).

http://valpoathletics.com/msoccer/news/2015-16/14791/mens-soccer-tabbed-second-in-preseason-poll/#.VeCepPso74Y