• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Some tough 2015 OOC schedules in the PFL

Started by VULB#62, July 18, 2015, 10:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

We actually had Wagner on our schedule for a H&H set a couple of years ago but they cancelled.  I posted this mainly cuz they are scheduling a C-USA FBS school ⅔ across the country and thought that was a bit weird for a school that small.  It's all about the $$.  There were 18K at the game.

VU2624

Quote from: vu72 on September 09, 2015, 11:32:59 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 09, 2015, 10:06:07 AM
Just noticed that our Lutheran cousins in Staten Island, Wagner College, who are members of the NEC and three years ago went to the FCS playoffs, played Rice University this past weekend in Houston, losing 56-16.  That's ambitious!

I doubt the AD and football coach want anything to do with other Lutheran schools.  First, all (other then Wagner) are D-2 or D-3 with most being D-3.  Second, we haven't historically been very successful and a loss to a D-3 wouldn't help the image much.  We are 1-0-1 all time aginst Wagner with the last game played being in 1971.  Ranked D-3 teams include Wittenberg (ranked 17th) where we are 2-5 all time with the last game coming in 1979, Texas Lutheran, ranked 18th, where we are 0-1 all time and Muhlenbery, ranked 23rd, no record with them.

Moving on the D-2 wouldn't help much either.  The only Lutheran school ranked is Lenoir-Rhyne, at 8th.  I think scheduling Wagner would be a good game and possibly create a natural rivalry.

It would be a natural to play Wagner but I'm not sure it would create either a rivalry or a good game. Coach Hameline built up a fantastic program in Staten Island and I think they'd take Valpo to task. Rivalries require competitiveness and I'm not sure it's there between these two teams.

historyman

Quote from: VU2624 on September 09, 2015, 09:57:02 PMIt would be a natural to play Wagner but I'm not sure it would create either a rivalry or a good game. Coach Hameline built up a fantastic program in Staten Island and I think they'd take Valpo to task. Rivalries require competitiveness and I'm not sure it's there between these two teams.

YET!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann