• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Welcome to EKU

Started by FGColonel, August 07, 2015, 01:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FGColonel

It is only 27days until the Crusaders come to Richmond. Let me be the first to welcome you. I am not sure how you guys travel, or what to expect as far as numbers. The game being on a Thursday may make a difference for some. But for those of you planning on making the trip I will be glad to answer any question concerning, directions, lodging, food, shopping or entertainment in the Richmond area. I will also try to answer any questions about our city, school or football team.  We do a pretty good job of tailgating at Roy Kidd Stadium and you are welcome to join in.
EKU A Matter of Pride
21 time OVC Champs

VULB#62

Colonel, for those of us who can't make the trek, will it be streamed on the EKU athletics site, ESPN3 or what?

usc4valpo

What varieties of bourbon will be served at the tailgate party?

FGColonel

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 09, 2015, 09:46:46 PM
What varieties of bourbon will be served at the tailgate party?
I am partial to Blanton's,  a very nice Single Barrel bottled by Buffalo Trace distillery. but if you visit enough people you will probably find a sample of just about every local distillery.
EKU A Matter of Pride
21 time OVC Champs

FGColonel

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 09, 2015, 06:07:08 PM
Colonel, for those of us who can't make the trek, will it be streamed on the EKU athletics site, ESPN3 or what?
Lived streamed by the OVC network.  OVCSports.com. I am checking the our AD to see if there will be any other coverage and will let you know.
EKU A Matter of Pride
21 time OVC Champs

crusaderjoe

How close do you think you guys are at getting into the Sun Belt?  What do you think EKU's chances are at getting the FBS call up?  It looks like it's between EKU, NMSU and Coastal for one spot for now per the message board banter.

VULB#62

I scraped a couple of posts from their football message board >> http://www.maroon-nation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2054  <<  It's still early in the pre-season and not much has been posted, but they are a solid FCS program, so these posts are stating more the obvious than bragging. This is also compounded by all our freshmen who might break into the two deep. I'm just hoping to be competitive and earn some respect.

7/31/15 "Never to early to start talking about the season opener. We ought to win big in this game. We are at home and Valpo was picked to finish 9th out of 10 in the PFL." (This is from our FGColonel, BTW)

7/31/15 "I do feel sorry for their QB. If our All-OVC offensive tackle is on suicide watch (jokingly per Coach Hood) trying to block Noah Spence, what will their tackles do?"

8/1/15 "I will be somewhat disappointed if we do not hang 50 on them or allow anything but a mop-up score.  Realizing Hood would likely call off the dogs and let the younger kids get some snaps, allowing any meaningful score would be the bigger disappointment.
  (FGColonel again).

[ADDED]  FYI - Noah Spence (6-3, 261) Xferred from Ohio State where he was a starter at DE.  He played in 2012 and 2013 before being dismissed from the OSU FB team for violations of their drug policy.  He sat out last season and is now apparently wreaking havoc in the EKU backfield. Hope the young man has straightened out his life.  Should be a good show at the edge on September 3.  Might need to help our tackles out with a blocking H-Back/TE maybe?

valpotx

They can kick our butt in football, and we kick the crap out of them in basketball.  Fair trade in my view.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

tx, totally agree. Basketball is the flagship sport at Valpo and always will be.

VULB#62

Quote from: crusaderjoe on August 19, 2015, 04:23:49 PM
How close do you think you guys are at getting into the Sun Belt?  What do you think EKU's chances are at getting the FBS call up?  It looks like it's between EKU, NMSU and Coastal for one spot for now per the message board banter.

I checked some press releases and it seems it actually comes down to only Coastal and EKU because New Mexico State is already in the SBC as a football only and prefers to stay in the WAC for all other sports (WAC doesn't have FB and it makes sense from a travel standpoint).  EKU has the least amount of adjustment as they already have a 30,000 seat stadium in process  while Coastal will have to expand their 9,500 seat stadium and are a relative new comer to FB.  EKU will also give the Sun Belt a returned presence in KY that occurred when Western KY left for Conference USA.

FGColonel

Quote from: valpotx on August 20, 2015, 01:18:18 AM
They can kick our butt in football, and we kick the crap out of them in basketball.  Fair trade in my view.
I sure can't argue with that.   At this point anyway.  :(
EKU A Matter of Pride
21 time OVC Champs

FGColonel

Quote from: crusaderjoe on August 19, 2015, 04:23:49 PM

Sorry, been on vacation, just got back. Most here seem to think we will get the invite.  Personally, I think it will be Coastal Carolina. No denying, Myrtle Beach is more "fan friendly" than Richmond, KY. especially late in the season. It seems they have no problem raising any monies they may need.
EKU A Matter of Pride
21 time OVC Champs

FGColonel

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 19, 2015, 05:07:45 PM
I scraped a couple of posts from their football message board >> http://www.maroon-nation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2054  <<  It's still early in the pre-season and not much has been posted, but they are a solid FCS program, so these posts are stating more the obvious than bragging. This is also compounded by all our freshmen who might break into the two deep. I'm just hoping to be competitive and earn some respect.

7/31/15 "Never to early to start talking about the season opener. We ought to win big in this game. We are at home and Valpo was picked to finish 9th out of 10 in the PFL." (This is from our FGColonel, BTW)

7/31/15 "I do feel sorry for their QB. If our All-OVC offensive tackle is on suicide watch (jokingly per Coach Hood) trying to block Noah Spence, what will their tackles do?"

8/1/15 "I will be somewhat disappointed if we do not hang 50 on them or allow anything but a mop-up score.  Realizing Hood would likely call off the dogs and let the younger kids get some snaps, allowing any meaningful score would be the bigger disappointment.
  (FGColonel again).

[ADDED]  FYI - Noah Spence (6-3, 261) Xferred from Ohio State where he was a starter at DE.  He played in 2012 and 2013 before being dismissed from the OSU FB team for violations of their drug policy.  He sat out last season and is now apparently wreaking havoc in the EKU backfield. Hope the young man has straightened out his life.  Should be a good show at the edge on September 3.  Might need to help our tackles out with a blocking H-Back/TE maybe?
Just for the record.....  I did NOT make the first post attributed to me. That would be Colonel 12. I did post that we should score 50.  Nothing personal against  Valpo. Just my opinion based on a little research concerning your defense and the fact that we have  a senior laden O line, a very good FBS QB in his second year with the Colonels. very tall, very fast WRs and one of the top RBs in the nation. I honestly believe we will score points on a lot of teams this year.  Just for the record, the official line is EKU by 34 1/2.  Come on over to maroonnation and chat a little.
EKU A Matter of Pride
21 time OVC Champs

valpochgo

I remember Noah Spence from OSU.  I thought he was one of the best defensive players in the Big 10 and had no idea he ended up at EKU.  I actually thought he was just going to the NFL after being expelled. 

FGColonel

Quote from: valpochgo on August 22, 2015, 09:09:25 PM
I remember Noah Spence from OSU.  I thought he was one of the best defensive players in the Big 10 and had no idea he ended up at EKU.  I actually thought he was just going to the NFL after being expelled. 
He needed a year somewhere to prove to the NFL he was clean and could stay out of trouble. Coach Myers and Coach Hood are friends from childhood. Coach Myers Called Coach Hood and ask him to give the kid a chance.
EKU A Matter of Pride
21 time OVC Champs

VULB#62

I think that we all understand the 50 point context and are not upset by it -- fact of life. But I do think that Valpo will be a more challenging opponent, despite our youth and new QB and receivers, than Morehead State was last year (55-13 win). Cecchini and his staff have really improved everything about the FB program in just one year. I could see you guys maybe hitting 40 and the early spread might be about right, but I think you guys will have to work harder than you think to get there..

FGColonel

Quote from: FGColonel on August 23, 2015, 10:39:30 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on August 23, 2015, 07:53:56 AM
I think that we all understand the 50 point context and are not upset by it -- fact of life. But I do think that Valpo will be a more challenging opponent, despite our youth and new QB and receivers, than Morehead State was last year (55-13 win). Cecchini and his staff have really improved everything about the FB program in just one year. I could see you guys maybe hitting 40 and the early spread might be about right, but I think you guys will have to work harder than you think to get there..

Hey, First game of the season, ANYTHING can happen. We went into Oxford and beat Miami last year. I am sure they never thought that could happen, Look at Appy and Michigan. Once the whistle blows, who knows what will take place. That is why we play the game on the field and not on paper. If the upset occurs, I promise I will be the first one on here to congratulate you. Granted it may be after I am resuscitated :o, but I will be here. Are any of you guys making the trip?
EKU A Matter of Pride
21 time OVC Champs

VULB#62

From USAToday 8/28/15
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sunbelt/2015/08/28/conference-expansion-coastal-carolina-eastern-kentucky/71322494/

Sun Belt identifies Coastal Carolina, Eastern Kentucky for expansion

The Sun Belt Conference has enough internal support to add a 12th member and has focused its search on current Football Championship Subdivision members Coastal Carolina and Eastern Kentucky, a person with knowledge of the conversations told USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the matter is supposed to be private.

A decision on which school to add and formal vote should come within the next few weeks, if not days. The Sun Belt's current plan is to add one of the two, but not both.

"They have enough votes," the person said. "They have already visited the campuses."

Commissioner Karl Benson, reached by phone Friday, declined to comment. Asked if there will be a vote next week, he said, "I don't know."

Adding a football school would allow the Sun Belt to host a conference championship game, possibly as early as 2016. The league would be split into Eastern and Western Divisions, with the additional team helping the Sun Belt's geographic balance.

Idaho and New Mexico State are currently football-only members. The person with knowledge said if the league for some reason voted against football expansion that an alternative would be adding New Mexico State in all sports, as the Sun Belt has just 11 basketball members.

"Basketball scheduling would be much easier (with 12 teams)," the person said.

Eastern Kentucky was an FCS (then Division I-AA) power from the late 1970s through the early 1990s, with a pair of national titles, but hasn't advanced out of the first round of the playoffs since 1994.

Coastal Carolina has become a national story under coach Joe Moglia, the former CEO of Ameritrade who left the company in 2008 to pursue a coaching career. Moglia has been a smashing success, going 32-10 in three seasons while advancing to the national quarterfinals the last two seasons. The Chanticleers are No. 5 in the preseason FCS poll, but one issue could be its stadium, which has capacity of 9,400. According to the Coastal Carolina web site, it could be expanded to 20,000.

FGColonel

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 28, 2015, 04:52:28 PM
From USAToday 8/28/15
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sunbelt/2015/08/28/conference-expansion-coastal-carolina-eastern-kentucky/71322494/

Sun Belt identifies Coastal Carolina, Eastern Kentucky for expansion

The Sun Belt Conference has enough internal support to add a 12th member and has focused its search on current Football Championship Subdivision members Coastal Carolina and Eastern Kentucky, a person with knowledge of the conversations told USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the matter is supposed to be private.

A decision on which school to add and formal vote should come within the next few weeks, if not days. The Sun Belt's current plan is to add one of the two, but not both.

"They have enough votes," the person said. "They have already visited the campuses."

Commissioner Karl Benson, reached by phone Friday, declined to comment. Asked if there will be a vote next week, he said, "I don't know."

Adding a football school would allow the Sun Belt to host a conference championship game, possibly as early as 2016. The league would be split into Eastern and Western Divisions, with the additional team helping the Sun Belt's geographic balance.

Idaho and New Mexico State are currently football-only members. The person with knowledge said if the league for some reason voted against football expansion that an alternative would be adding New Mexico State in all sports, as the Sun Belt has just 11 basketball members.

"Basketball scheduling would be much easier (with 12 teams)," the person said.

Eastern Kentucky was an FCS (then Division I-AA) power from the late 1970s through the early 1990s, with a pair of national titles, but hasn't advanced out of the first round of the playoffs since 1994.

Coastal Carolina has become a national story under coach Joe Moglia, the former CEO of Ameritrade who left the company in 2008 to pursue a coaching career. Moglia has been a smashing success, going 32-10 in three seasons while advancing to the national quarterfinals the last two seasons. The Chanticleers are No. 5 in the preseason FCS poll, but one issue could be its stadium, which has capacity of 9,400. According to the Coastal Carolina web site, it could be expanded to 20,000.

We should hear something next week.
EKU A Matter of Pride
21 time OVC Champs

VULB#62

Are alumni and fans supportive of the move should an invitation come your way?

FGColonel

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 30, 2015, 07:35:53 AM
Are alumni and fans supportive of the move should an invitation come your way?
Like everything else,  there are factions on both sides of the argument. I think the majority of the fans are for the move. The OVC just does not have the excitement for us as in past years. Our two biggest rivals, Western KY, and Middle TN have both made the move leaving us without a true rival geographically close enough to generate a lot of fan support, Jacksonville ST. has a excellent program, nationally competitive but just too far away for a lot of fans to really get into it. Ironically, the Sun Belt seem to be the way we are heading  (if we get an invite) but a large portion of the fan base would rather go to the MAC. Sadly the MAC does not seem ready for expansion right now.
EKU A Matter of Pride
21 time OVC Champs

VULB#62

This is game week! Time for predictions.

I am guessing that the team travels early on Wednesday (it's 367 miles and a 5 hrs 40 minute bus ride) and will do run thrus at EKU Wednesday PM. Thursday game time is 6:00PM Central.

EKU  finished the 2014 season 9–4 (6–2 in OVC play) to finish in second place. OOC wins of interest to us:  Beat Robert Morris (NEC) 29-10, Miami Ohio (MAC/FBS) 17-10, Morehead State (PFL) 55-16.  They closed the season by traveling to the Swamp in Gainesville and lost to FBS SEC power Florida 3-52.  They received an at-large bid to the FCS Playoffs where they lost in the first round to Indiana State.  They return 16 of 22 starters and apparently are loaded with talent that includes some FBS transfers. They play @ North Carolina State the week following our game.

Valpo comes off it's first multiple wins season (4-8) in recent memory and were within one score each of pulling out 3 more wins.  The 2014 team showed improvement in all aspects of the game. Lost to graduation are the starting QB and receiver corps.  For 2015 ~50 true freshmen populate almost half of the roster.   19 true freshman are on the 2-deep with as many as 3 starting.

PREDICTION:  EKU, looking ahead to NC State, barely pulls out a "last second" victory over the Crusaders 48 - 7 (seven)

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 31, 2015, 12:47:29 PMPREDICTION:  EKU, looking ahead to NC State, barely pulls out a "last second" victory over the Crusaders 48 - 7

Did you mean 48-47? I guess not.

I would love to hold the Colonels under 50 but can't predict that.  54-10 to EKU.

VULB#62

Thanks - clarified my prediction  ;D

vu72

Not sure how EKU would compare to Western Illinois, but assuming they are at a similar status, we lost to WIL 45-6.  I expect a similar result.  We will be better then last year as this is Coach's second year.  New quarterback etc so don't expect an improvement over last year's score.  I'll go will 45-10
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015