• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

College of Faith

Started by usc4valpo, September 12, 2015, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Which CoF team is Valpo facing? Is there a roster? A location? A school?

a3uge

https://m.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/2le4az/oc_the_history_of_college_of_faith_background_on/

Not a real school, not a real program. Incredibly poor job scheduling by Valpo.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

VU2624

They played Davidson last year and lost 56-0. There are numerous articles on the web regarding the school and it's athletic programs mirroring the reddit article.

Valpo should avoid scheduling Sacred Heart in game 2 and first year programs with schools which may or may not exist in game three and attempt to find programs which would be competitive efforts for all involved. Look Div II, III or NAIA. There should be plenty of suitors.

usc4valpo

No, stick with Div I-AA opponents. Last year Valpo played Missouri Baptist, a first year NAIA school, and the game was a joke. I think you should play within your division.

That being said, what was the rationale to schedule this game?

a3uge

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 12, 2015, 11:31:22 PM
No, stick with Div I-AA opponents. Last year Valpo played Missouri Baptist, a first year NAIA school, and the game was a joke. I think you should play within your division.

That being said, what was the rationale to schedule this game?
Valparaiso (1-2)

usc4valpo

Is it possible to schedule a ham and egger that is an actual school?

VULB#62

There are two Cof F branches.  One in Arkansas Missouri and one in Charlotte, NC.  It was the Charlotte team (Spirits) that lost to Davidson.  We play the Arkansas team (Warriors) on Saturday.

Here is the Warrior website: http://www.gofaithwarriors.com    It's not much.  This is their inaugural season and they lost in week 1 to McKendree University 68-0.  McKendree is a D-II program in Illinois that is a member of the GLVC -- the same one St. Joe's belongs to.  That is, they give FB scholarships like St. Joe.

Here is the link to the McKendree game recap: http://mckbearcats.com/news/2015/9/5/FB_0905150906.aspx?path=football

They took a 51-0 lead into halftime.  In the first quarter they ran back two punts for TDs.

This is basically an "exhibition" for Valpo similar to MBB scheduling preseason games against Grand Valley (14) or Hillsdale and Robert Morris (13), and, with 3 QBs knocked out of service so far (Conner Smith - out for the season with torn labrum (shoulder); Stokes and Stall - concussions , but may be back)  we go into the game needing to see how Ryan Clark plays without the overwhelming risk another D-I would present.  Is it the best of scheduling.  No.  Does it come at the right time? Yes.  Is it better than a bye week?  IMO, very much yes, because no amount of controlled scrimmages during a bye period can supply the game day situations, decisions and environment.  It is also an OOC game that will allow the staff to further evaluate all of their new players against live opponents.

The only disappointment I would have would be if we did not hang 48 on the scoreboard by halftime.  That would be an indication that we haven't responded to the adversity thrown at the team by the SHU loss.  So, in reality, a lot is riding on this next game.  Let's see how the staff and kids respond.

And in response to the posts saying we should stick to D-I opponents for OOC games, I disagree.  This is the first time in my memory that we have scheduled 2 FCS programs as part of our OOC schedule ever.  I could see the EKU game as a guarantee game (all PFL teams do that).  But SHU (they went to the playoffs last year) right after EKU was tough on us physically and emotionally. However, sometimes you have to take what you can get.  And in 2015 we wound up with two polar opposites in two weeks - SHU and COF.  It is what it is.  We make the best of it.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 13, 2015, 10:44:35 AM
There are two Cof F branches.  One in Arkansas and one in Charlotte, NC.  It was the Charlotte team (Spirits) that lost to Davidson.  We play the Arkansas team (Warriors) on Saturday.

Here is the Warrior website: http://www.gofaithwarriors.com    It's not much.  This is their inaugural season and they lost in week 1 to McKendree University 68-0.  McKendree is a D-II program in Illinois that is a member of the GLVC -- the same one St. Joe's belongs to.  That is, they give FB scholarships like St. Joe.

Here is the link to the McKendree game recap: http://mckbearcats.com/news/2015/9/5/FB_0905150906.aspx?path=football

They took a 51-0 lead into halftime.  In the first quarter they ran back two punts for TDs.

This is basically an "exhibition" for Valpo similar to MBB scheduling preseason games against Grand Valley (14) or Hillsdale and Robert Morris (13), and, with 3 QBs knocked out of service so far (Conner Smith - out for the season with torn labrum (shoulder); Stokes and Stall - concussions , but may be back)  we go into the game needing to see how Ryan Clark plays without the overwhelming risk another D-I would present.  Is it the best of scheduling.  No.  Does it come at the right time? Yes.  Is it better than a bye week?  IMO, very much yes, because no amount of controlled scrimmages during a bye period can supply the game day situations, decisions and environment.  It is also an OOC game that will allow the staff to further evaluate all of their new players against live opponents.

The only disappointment I would have would be if we did not hang 48 on the scoreboard by halftime.  That would be an indication that we haven't responded to the adversity thrown at the team by the SHU loss.  So, in reality, a lot is riding on this next game.  Let's see how the staff and kids respond.

And in response to the posts saying we should stick to D-I opponents for OOC games, I disagree.  This is the first time in my memory that we have scheduled 2 FCS programs as part of our OOC schedule ever.  I could see the EKU game as a guarantee game (all PFL teams do that).  But SHU (they went to the playoffs last year) right after EKU was tough on us physically and emotionally. However, sometimes you have to take what you can get.  And in 2015 we wound up with two polar opposites in two weeks - SHU and COF.  It is what it is.  We make the best of it.

It's not that we should stick with D1 teams - it's that we should stick with playing actual college institutions.

VULB#62

Quote from: a3uge on September 13, 2015, 11:26:38 AM
It's not that we should stick with D1 teams - it's that we should stick with playing actual college institutions.

I agree.  Even Missouri Baptist would have been better.  BTW I corrected a location mistake for COF below -- it's Missouri not Arkansas, but they're virtual so it doesn't matter.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 13, 2015, 01:10:15 PM

I agree.  Even Missouri Baptist would have been better.  BTW I corrected a location mistake for COF below -- it's Missouri not Arkansas, but they're virtual so it doesn't matter.
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 13, 2015, 01:10:15 PM

Are the players going to arrive through the Library's computers since they are virtual?

VULB#62

No, don't be silly.  Our library network is secure and unaccessible from outside.  They don't have a big travel budget -- only for the coach. They'll arrive via the COF's head coach's laptop once he gets to Valpo.   ;)

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 13, 2015, 05:44:13 PM
No, don't be silly.  Our library network is secure and unaccessible from outside.  They don't have a big travel budget -- only for the coach. They'll arrive via the COF's head coach's laptop once he gets to Valpo.   ;)

Their website shows three coaches, one of whom is the AD and one of whom is the basketball coach.  Tight budget!!!  This should be pretty silly.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Yesterday Boston College played Howard University (FCS scholarship)
MEAC Conference
Bethune-Cookman
Hampton   
North Carolina A&T   
North Carolina Central
South Carolina State   
Savannah State   
Delaware State   
Florida A&M   
Howard   
Morgan State   
Norfolk State

The score at the end of the first quarter was BC 41 - Howard 0.  At the half it was BC 62-0.  They cut the 3rd and 4th quarters to 10 minutes each.

FROM ESPN.COM: BOSTON -- Boston College coach Steve Addazio reached the point where he wanted it to end.

He can hardly be blamed with the work he has to get ready for No. 11 Florida State on Friday.

"You get in the mode where: We didn't know what to do, what to call," Addazio said. "It just got to the point where you didn't want to throw it; you don't know what to call, you just want it to end.

Let's hope we have to shorten quarters on Saturday as well.

usc4valpo

Is this a guaranteed fantasy football victory?

VULB#62

We dropped one notch in the Sagarin.  Some significant movement in the upper PFL tier though.
[Click on attachment to enlarge]

VULB#62

PFL Scores: Saturday, Sept. 12 (Bold = PFL, Underscore = VU 2015 opponents)

Jacksonville 17, Newberry 14
VMI 43, Morehead State 40
Sacred Heart 56, Valparaiso 3
Campbell 35, Chowan 3
Georgetown 34, Marist 7
North Dakota 21, Drake 18  :thumbsup: to Drake. UND beat us 60-9 in 2013
Mercer 57, Stetson 14
Butler 41, Franklin 14
Catawba 35, Davidson 21
San Diego 45, Western New Mexico 21

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 13, 2015, 07:34:49 AM
While not a ham and egger, I think we should still be playing St. Joe, rather than the College of Faiths and MO Baptists.  Long tradition, even a road game is a morning bus trip.  Keeps kids in school.  If we are going to keep playing a non FCS game, keep it in state with St. Joe. 

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on September 14, 2015, 10:02:20 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on September 13, 2015, 07:34:49 AM
While not a ham and egger, I think we should still be playing St. Joe, rather than the College of Faiths and MO Baptists.  Long tradition, even a road game is a morning bus trip.  Keeps kids in school.  If we are going to keep playing a non FCS game, keep it in state with St. Joe.

We had St. Joe in that 2015 slot until the GLVC added a team and St. Joe had to back out. They (MLB and DC) spent months trying to fill it, and short of another expensive flight or a third FCS scholarship team which Cecchini was not willing to do, we were left with COF or a 10 game schedule.

sliman

Thanks for the insight on the loss of the St. Joe game, 62.  Still too bad we couldn't find a more attractive opponent, but this makes it more understandable.

covufan

Quote from: sliman on September 14, 2015, 10:18:38 AM
Thanks for the insight on the loss of the St. Joe game, 62.  Still too bad we couldn't find a more attractive opponent, but this makes it more understandable.
Yes, thanks for the insight. 

covufan

I think that I'd rather see St. Xavier (IL), Taylor, St. Francis (IL), St. Francis (IN), Siena Heights (MI), and Robert Morris before College of Faith.  Maybe U of Indy or Marian when in a few years.

VULB#62

VU2624

Coach Cecchini went through the same explanation as to the late scheduling of the game which certainly puts it in a different light.

I had read about COF a couple of years ago in a local article regarding whether they are a "real" school and football program so the one thing which still is confusing to me is the fact that they are billed as a first year program.

Whoever it is that's playing, I hope Valpo shows well. They should.

usc4valpo

If necessary to face a sub Div I school, maybe they should face a small college Chicago team like North Park, Lake Forest or North Central.

IMHO, if this school is not a real college, then this game should not count toward their overall record.

78crusader

The game is on the schedule. What's done is done. Instead of whining about it, why don't  we simply show some respect for this opponent. After all, we have given up 118 points in just two games. It's not like we are the Steel Curtain or anything.

The young men from the College of Faith have committed to the rigorous schedule of doing their studies and playing intercollegiate football. Let's show them some respect on the field and on this board.

Paul