• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

College of Faith

Started by usc4valpo, September 12, 2015, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on September 17, 2015, 08:50:45 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on September 16, 2015, 12:26:12 PM
Quote from: a3uge on September 16, 2015, 12:13:14 PMOf they score a single point, Valpo needs to close its football program.
I would not say that because there could be a fluke TD, but if the game is competitive there is certainly an argument.

With an emphasis by the coaching staff to preserve a redshirt and keep Clarke in the game, it would make sense that Valpo have the QB turn around and hand it off the entire game. Brandon Hall should be held out again and maybe Legend and whoever is next in line beyond he gets the bulk of the work.

Don't forget that this game is also an important prep game for USD the following week.  We have enough tape on USD (frequencies and tendencies) to work all aspects of the game to get ready for a real opponent.  If we run all game in spite of the fact that we  know that, for instance, our USD game plan will require our line to pass block 60% of the time, we're not doing ourselves any favors. The staff will take injuries into consideration, I'm sure (another for instance - Ryan might be limited to hand-offs and passes but no keepers), but they also must balance that with the need for overall team preparation and a view to the following week.  We have a lot of improving to do and constraining the attack will slow our progress.  Just my opinion.

VULB#62

Brandon Vickrey reports that Staal is out, Stokes and Brandon Hall questionable and Clarke will start.

[tweet]644533031458447360[/tweet]

[tweet]644532873165438977[/tweet]

VULB#62

FROM THE GAME NOTES JUST POSTED
Scouting College of Faith: Located in West Memphis, Arkansas, College of Faith will play its second game in program history Saturday at Brown Field. McKendree University dealt the Warriors a 68-0 defeat in its debut on Sept. 5th. McKendree is a D-II institution that competes in the Great Lakes Valley Confer- ence (GLVC), the same league as Saint Joseph's.

The Bearcats racked up 352 yards of total offense while limiting the Warriors to -4. McKendree returned the first two College of Faith punts back for touch- downs in a 28-point first quarter. Four different Bearcats recorded carries as part of a 268-yard rushing day. The home team also denied the Warriors a first down.  Many Warriors pulled double duty on the gridiron on Sept. 5th, a by-product of having 21 players participate.   :crazy:

FROM THE 2-DEEP
QB 16 Ryan Clarke 6-5 220
     19 Jake Paliga 6-1 175

RB 49 Jake Hutson 5-7 180
     25 Grayson Bastin 5-9 185

NOTE:  JJ Nunez is listed as both an OLB starter and a Safety BU

usc4valpo

Is this game for real? Or is this from the Onion?

VULB#62

That was real.

FROM THE ONION

Unsubstantiated rumor has it that there will be some slight alterations to the game format. 

1)  Prior to kick-off, the 21 COF players and the 100 Valpo players will be placed in a single drafting pool.  The Valpo captains will play rock/paper/scissor for the first choice.  All players will be drafted into two teams of ~60. 
2)  The captains will then play one round of EA NFL 2K15 for the right to pick their jersey color. White will be COF, Brown will be Valpo.
3)  Instead of a coin toss, two football robots, one representing each squad will duke it out at the 50 yard line for the right to receive or defer to the second half.
4) The actual game will be played in decreasing time quarters. 
   Q1 = 15 minutes
   Q2 = 12 Minutes
   Q3 = 10 Minutes
   Q4 = 8 minutes
   In the event of a tie in altered regulation, NCAA rules for OT will be in effect

vu72

I suppose as the game goes on we could switch from 11 to 7 or, if too many of their lineman are injured we could agree to count to 3 before rushing.   :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

All kidding aside, 21 players were on the short end of a 68-0 thrashing in week #1.  How many of those 21 hung it up right there?  How many might have sustained injuries (Do they even have a medical/training staff)?  I am worried for those kids' safety (and our responsibility).  I wonder about their discipline and the urge to act out in frustration with illegal hits.  I also wonder about what impact this will have on our players.  Will they back-off or not play at 100% because they know they are so much stronger and faster and in better shape (knowing the old adage when you don't go full out that's when injuries occur)?  I wonder how we can build intensity  in the face of this?  I wonder what if one of our kids gets hurt in a meaningless game....? At the time it seemed like a plausible option, but knowing what we know now, maybe (again with 20/20 hindsight) we should have just gone with a bye week here and a 10 game schedule. 

But then my evil twin, Skippy, is whispering in my ear "hey they had enough money to buy uniforms and pads just like us, and if they show up they know what they signed up for.  Tough petunias, the result is on them.  Our job is to kick butt regardless."

VULB#62

Brandon Vickrey's preview in the Post-Trib

College of Faith at Valparaiso

When: 1 p.m. Saturday, WVUR-FM (95.1 FM), ESPN3.com.

Outlook: Valparaiso is 0-2 after last week's 56-3 loss to Sacred Heart. Quarterbacks Dalton Stokes and Scott Staal both left the game with concussions. Staal has been ruled out for Saturday's game, while Stokes is questionable. Sophomore Ryan Clarke will make his first career start at quarterback. Clarke finished last week's game under center but did not throw a pass. He completed five of his seven pass attempts in two appearances last season. Running back Brandon Hall (concussion) is listed as questionable, but is expected to be held out. College of Faith, a first-year program from Arkansas, is on the NCAA's list of non-countable opponents for not meeting NCAA accreditation standards, so statistics from the game will not be recognized by the NCAA. According to College of Faith coach Sherwyn Thomas, 75 percent of the team's players are in their first season of college football. Players' ages range from 18-25. Thomas said at least 25 players will travel to Valparaiso, and he is hoping for 35. The Warriors lost 68-0 to Division II McKendree in the season opener on Sept. 5 and did not play a Week 2 game. College of Faith had minus-4 yards of offense against McKendree.

— Brandon Vickrey

So, essentially, this is not a real game?  W's and L's are statistics, right? As an NCAA team, does that mean we can't at least take credit for a W?

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 18, 2015, 08:22:30 AM
Brandon Vickrey's preview in the Post-Trib

College of Faith at Valparaiso

When: 1 p.m. Saturday, WVUR-FM (95.1 FM), ESPN3.com.

Outlook: Valparaiso is 0-2 after last week's 56-3 loss to Sacred Heart. Quarterbacks Dalton Stokes and Scott Staal both left the game with concussions. Staal has been ruled out for Saturday's game, while Stokes is questionable. Sophomore Ryan Clarke will make his first career start at quarterback. Clarke finished last week's game under center but did not throw a pass. He completed five of his seven pass attempts in two appearances last season. Running back Brandon Hall (concussion) is listed as questionable, but is expected to be held out. College of Faith, a first-year program from Arkansas, is on the NCAA's list of non-countable opponents for not meeting NCAA accreditation standards, so statistics from the game will not be recognized by the NCAA. According to College of Faith coach Sherwyn Thomas, 75 percent of the team's players are in their first season of college football. Players' ages range from 18-25. Thomas said at least 25 players will travel to Valparaiso, and he is hoping for 35. The Warriors lost 68-0 to Division II McKendree in the season opener on Sept. 5 and did not play a Week 2 game. College of Faith had minus-4 yards of offense against McKendree.

— Brandon Vickrey

So, essentially, this is not a real game?  W's and L's are statistics, right? As an NCAA team, does that mean we can't at least take credit for a W?
I really hope that at the time we scheduled this game it looked like CoF would be a first time team on the order of MO Baptist.  I'm somewhat embarrassed that we've even scheduled a team like this, especially with the our recent desire to upgrade the football schedule.  I respect what the CoF coach and team are attempting to do - those kids deserve our respect - but they should be scheduling DIII and lesser NAIA type teams.  I hope that any payment to CoF really helps them in the future.

valporun

Don't forget, this was a late change because of the change in scheduling the GLVC enforced when they expanded. By this point, other maybe a few DIIIs or NAIAs, the contracts were signed well in advance, so we were stuck. We can't blame Coach Cecchini for something he had no control over. I mean if we'd known this was happening 4 years ago, then it's on the coach for not getting a contract set with a better team, but this occurred after most FB contracts were signed and sealed.

VULB#62

Yes.  And what he (and now by extension we) knew at the time was analogous to MBU.  How would he have known that COF would be classified as a non-countable opponent or that they would show up with 21-25 players. As I mentioned earlier, with 20/20 hindsight, he/we might have passed completely on a game this weekend.  But it is what it is.  Pray for an injury free game on both sides.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 18, 2015, 02:06:48 PMHow would he have known that COF would be classified as a non-countable opponent or that they would show up with 21-25 players.
I'm sure that the CoF from North Carolina is in the same boat, so when they played games last year they didn't count towards the opponents stats/records.  That team also scored no points - not sure how many showed up to the games last year.

vu72

I doubt we will set an all time scoring record as that stands at 110 versus Lewis in 1923.  The caliber of opponent may be closer to our very first one in 1919 when we played the Chicago YMCA!  I'm thinking 66-0
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

From the COF Warrior (ARK) Web Site such that it is.

2015 GAME SCHEDULE

August 29, 2015                    Open               
September 5, 2015                @McKendree University (L 68-0)
September 12, 2015              Open
September 19, 2015              @Valparaiso University
September 26, 2015              Open
October 3, 2015                    @Houston Baptist University
October 10, 2015                  @Missouri S & T                 
October 17, 2015                  COF Charlotte
October 24, 2015                  Open
October 31, 2015                  @Texas Southern University

November 7, 2015                @St. Francis University
November 14, 2015              @University of Faith (FL)
November 21, 2015              Open
November 28, 2015              Open

BOLD denotes home game.

I couldn't even find COF Charlotte's schedule on line  (but they are traveling to ARK to play the Warriors)  That could end in a 0-0 tie.

We're not the only FCS school on the schedule -- Texas Southern of the SWAC in there as well.

usc4valpo

Time to fry the ham and eggs! It's gameday!

a3uge

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 17, 2015, 04:41:06 PM

But then my evil twin, Skippy, is whispering in my ear "hey they had enough money to buy uniforms and pads just like us, and if they show up they know what they signed up for.  Tough petunias, the result is on them.  Our job is to kick butt regardless."

Funny you mention the unis. Whatever version of this "school" played Davidson last year was given money by Davidson for unis.

I go back and forth as to whether this game is a good thing, bad thing or should be played at all. Right now I'm leaning no.

VU2624

valpochgo

Is this the school we are playing.....?  Seems most high schools football teams would beat them.  We should be ashamed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNntwh2g6aQ

VULB#62

Quote from: valpochgo on September 19, 2015, 11:11:48 AM
Is this the school we are playing.....?  Seems most high schools football teams would beat them.  We should be ashamed.

No, this one is (two weeks ago against McKendree from the GLVC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwxTdkl20ZQ

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 19, 2015, 12:17:39 PM
Quote from: valpochgo on September 19, 2015, 11:11:48 AM

No, this one is (two weeks ago against McKendree from the GLVC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwxTdkl20ZQ

valpochgo is somewhat correct in that it the video associated with COF is still run by Sherwyn Thomas who seems to be everywhere surrounding the COF no matter where located.

The McKendree video presents the fact that this game would be more competitive vs. Valpo HS.

Dojan123

At least we get to see it on ESPN 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vu72

Well you have to give credit to the COF kids.  They were beat up and exhausted and kept fighting.  Not sure what we gained although getting our third string quarterback a mess of reps sure can't hurt.  We also got to see a bunch of kids in a game situation.  Fun for those guys who never see the field who got plenty of playing time and some scores, interceptions and fumble recoveries.  I underestimated the score by 20 and the all time record was clearly possible if Coach had allowed it/

VULB#62

I noticed that at the end of the VUAthletics site article that it said Valpo was 0-2 going into the USD game.   So it turns out that it appears that we are not taking credit for the win. The right thing to do. 72, my thoughts exactly. I followed on game tracker. By the half I wanted to help COF somehow. Glad they shortened the 2nd half to 2 10 minute qtrs.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 19, 2015, 08:51:03 PM
I noticed that at the end of the VUAthletics site article that it said Valpo was 0-2 going into the USD game.   So it turns out that it appears that we are not taking credit for the win. The right thing to do. 72, my thoughts exactly. I followed on game tracker. By the half I wanted to help COF somehow. Glad they shortened the 2nd half to 2 10 minute qtrs.

I thought I read either here or elsewhere that the game could not count because COF was not considered accredited.