• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Dayton 10-17

Started by VU2624, October 11, 2015, 05:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2624

Kascor was held out vs. SD.

Bad news is that Dayton still won the game.

covufan

We need to play better at home this weekend. 

Valpo   17
Dayton 27

VU2624

Dayton held SD to 12 although Stetson scored 14 off them during Dayton's vacation to Central Florida. It'll be rough going on offense. Kascor is apparently out.

historyman

At first I thought 10-17 was a score prediction and I was going to say that Dayton will beat us by more than that. OTOH, who really knows?

My real prediction is

Dayton 40
Valpo 11

Let's hope for much better.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

I was away in California on business and for a wedding from just after the Davidson game till today, so I didn't get a chance to post anything to the Football strings

Here's last week's results from the PFL site (Bold Underlined are our PFL opponents):

Davidson 14, Kentucky Wesleyan 7 (OT)
Dayton 13, San Diego 12
Morehead State 34, Butler 21  :o
Drake 34, VALPARAISO 7
Jacksonville 41, Stetson 14
Marist 13, Campbell 10

IMO, Morehead State's decisive win is this week's surprise outcome. Originally I predicted that MSU could be a win for us and that Butler was a stretch.  This result reverses that logic. However, both QBs rolled up over 360 yards of total offense in that one.  In the other game of note, the Dayton/USD game must have been a war. Maybe we'll catch Dayton in letdown mode after that tough win and surprise them a bit. The Jacksonville/Stetson score is about right, and that places Valpo in an equalizing situation with respect to comparisons with both teams.  I would think we will lose to JU by a similar score and that makes SU and VU equals, so our home game against them should be close, with us coming out on top after a bye week to prepare.

FYI, I have attached the latest Sagarin Ratings Comparison Grid [Click to enlarge].

I was not able to search and find the ratings after the Davidson game, so I left that empty.  Any change is measured from the week before that.  Interesting how the grid reflects the overall reduction in PFL respect as the season goes on.  When PFL teams play each other, even wins can result in lower ratings because PFL D-I teams are so near the bottom of the pecking order.

covufan

Quote from: historyman on October 13, 2015, 08:27:12 PM
At first I thought 10-17 was a score prediction and I was going to say that Dayton will beat us by more than that. OTOH, who really knows?

My real prediction is

Dayton 40
Valpo 11

Let's hope for much better.
Are we going for 2 after the TD?  Or are you predicting we get two safeties?

usc4valpo

historyman

Quote from: covufan on October 14, 2015, 11:15:34 AM
Quote from: historyman on October 13, 2015, 08:27:12 PMAt first I thought 10-17 was a score prediction and I was going to say that Dayton will beat us by more than that. OTOH, who really knows? My real prediction is Dayton 40 Valpo 11 Let's hope for much better.
Are we going for 2 after the TD?  Or are you predicting we get two safeties?

2/3 of a fg/safety/touchdown? safety and 3 fg? missed extra pt/fg/safety? who knows but Valpo will make it happen.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 14, 2015, 10:40:27 AM
I was away in California on business and for a wedding from just after the Davidson game till today, so I didn't get a chance to post anything to the Football strings

Here's last week's results from the PFL site (Bold Underlined are our PFL opponents):

Davidson 14, Kentucky Wesleyan 7 (OT)
Dayton 13, San Diego 12
Morehead State 34, Butler 21  :o
Drake 34, VALPARAISO 7
Jacksonville 41, Stetson 14
Marist 13, Campbell 10

IMO, Morehead State's decisive win is this week's surprise outcome. Originally I predicted that MSU could be a win for us and that Butler was a stretch.  This result reverses that logic. However, both QBs rolled up over 360 yards of total offense in that one.  In the other game of note, the Dayton/USD game must have been a war. Maybe we'll catch Dayton in letdown mode after that tough win and surprise them a bit. The Jacksonville/Stetson score is about right, and that places Valpo in an equalizing situation with respect to comparisons with both teams.  I would think we will lose to JU by a similar score and that makes SU and VU equals, so our home game against them should be close, with us coming out on top after a bye week to prepare.

FYI, I have attached the latest Sagarin Ratings Comparison Grid [Click to enlarge].

I was not able to search and find the ratings after the Davidson game, so I left that empty.  Any change is measured from the week before that.  Interesting how the grid reflects the overall reduction in PFL respect as the season goes on.  When PFL teams play each other, even wins can result in lower ratings because PFL D-I teams are so near the bottom of the pecking order.

I may be misreading the post but the Stetson game is next week before the bye. Butler at Butler is after the bye.

VULB#62

:-[  You're right 2624.  The bye is prior to the Butler game, not Stetson. But that's maybe better  :)

bbtds

At least this season we will win the bye week. Or did we win that game already?

usc4valpo

if you look at Sagarin ratings, Valpo is a 24 point dog at home. Ouch!

Go USC! Shock the world!

valpochgo

I think Dayton is the best team in the PFL this year so this may be an ugly game for the home team.  I was at the Dayton game last year and the second half was a blowout and this year's Dayton team looks even better and Valpo isn't as good.

VULB#62

With bout 5 mins left in the 2nd qtr.  it's dayton 17 valpo 14.

After going down 14 zip, it was heartening to see valpo come back with 14 points to match the Flyers.  Also nice to see us hold the Dayton offense to a FG instead of giving up a TD.  Valpo ball -- let's see what they can do.

VU2624

Playcalls have been headscratching if not inept. QB can throw two passes. Over the top if the WR is wide open and let's throw it up and hope the WR can outjump the DB. If you can't complete 7-12 yard passes to some small degree you can't compete at any level. The underneath game is just not there and they have the guys who can do it on the receiving end.

This is highschool-ish as far as some of the other stuff.

usc4valpo