• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponent Games and Scores

Started by talksalot, November 15, 2015, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Monday 1/4/16 (Lines from CBSSPORTS.com)

All 5 games are on ESPN3... the Yst-OAK game is on Comcast SportsNet Chicago 6pm CT

Youngstown State @ Oakland - Grizzlies favored by 17.5pts
Niagara @ Iona - Gaels favored by 15.5pts
Cleveland State @ Detroit - Titans favored by 8pts
Wright State @ Green Bay - Phoenix favored by 6.5pts
Northern Kentucky @ Milwaukee - Panthers favored by 11pts

Go Figure... they have no line for the big battle:

2-12 Ark-Pine Bluff travelling to Mississippi Valley State, 0-14... for their first Home Game of the season!
The Golden Lions two wins are over Seattle (RPI 341 by 2) and Southeastern Louisiana (RPI 347, by 2)... (SWLA is now 0-11 themselves)

OH, Ark-PB should not be complaining at MVSU's schedule... they have not played at home this year either... and won't until January 16th... Mizzou beat'em 78-25 last Tuesday.

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on January 04, 2016, 05:04:44 PM2-12 Ark-Pine Bluff travelling to Mississippi Valley State, 0-14... for their first Home Game of the season!
The Golden Lions two wins are over Seattle (RPI 341 by 2) and Southeastern Louisiana (RPI 347, by 2)... (SWLA is now 0-11 themselves)

OH, Ark-PB should not be complaining at MVSU's schedule... they have not played at home this year either... and won't until January 16th... Mizzou beat'em 78-25 last Tuesday.
For the entire SWAC conference I counted a total of 6 OOC Div-1 home opponents.  Wow!   :o  And I thought the basketball world was treating us like second class citizens!

agibson

I totally didn't realize conference play continued today.  I knew it wasn't true, but I think I somehow thought "We're playing our travel partner, everybody must be."

agibson

Quote from: justducky on January 04, 2016, 05:55:00 PMFor the entire SWAC conference I counted a total of 6 OOC Div-1 home opponents.  Wow!     And I thought the basketball world was treating us like second class citizens!

It's hard not to think "back of the bus".  It's pretty discouraging.  As I mentioned recently, I don't know if they'd be better off non-D1, or not.

valporun

Youngstown St. is holding its own against Oakland. Both teams are looking good, and I'm sure YSU will fall apart, but this is looking to be a nail biter for OU fans.

HC

Neither team looks good...neither team is playing a lick of defense. If Oakland can't stop YSU or Chicago State im not sure how they're going to defend teams with more talented offensive players.

Valpower

"Defense?"  What kind of gimmick offense is that?  Sheesh. OU and YSU are going to both hit 100 points.

justducky

Quote from: agibson on January 04, 2016, 06:03:57 PM
Quote from: justducky on January 04, 2016, 05:55:00 PMFor the entire SWAC conference I counted a total of 6 OOC Div-1 home opponents.  Wow!     And I thought the basketball world was treating us like second class citizens!

It's hard not to think "back of the bus".  It's pretty discouraging.  As I mentioned recently, I don't know if they'd be better off non-D1, or not.
If the entire SWAC decided to step down to Div-11 a dozen new qualified candidates (chumps) would be strongly encouraged to make the upward leap. I mean you really can't expect a Butler, IU, ND, Purdue or the like to play more than one true road game per year can you? That would be asking far too much!

talksalot

YOUNGSTOWN STATE 100 OAKLAND 98 FINAL

Valpower

Quote from: talksalot on January 04, 2016, 08:03:56 PM
YOUNGSTOWN STATE 100 OAKLAND 98 FINAL

That's not the important stat; Kahlil Felder with another monster offensive effort. 23 points and 14 assists. Let the NBA Watch continue.

HC

It's no big deal, Oakland still gets the mostly home court advantage.

talksalot

What are the chances of them losing two games in a row at home?

HC

Huge! Their defense has been struggling for at least three games now. Valpo's defense has struggled once in this season.

Valpower

Quote from: talksalot on January 04, 2016, 08:21:17 PM
What are the chances of them losing two games in a row at home?
Better, now. They lost the first one in a row!

SanityLost17

Nationally televised, home court, against Valpo...  I expect they will be at their best on Friday, regardless of their loss tonight.  Should be a lot of fun!   

justducky

The Oakland RPI just dropped 30+ places. Losing to weak teams on the road is bad but losing to them at home is a disaster.

YSU looks like a team that can shoot! They also have a player they may want to place under armed guard just in case Michigan St starts snooping around. Maybe the HL can get a group rate insurance policy to cover future economic losses caused by Izzo's activity.

HC

Man bun guy was lighting up Oakland in the first half. ESPN3 was a bit, ok a lot, glitchy during the second half.

Valpower

Quote from: justducky on January 04, 2016, 08:36:00 PM
The Oakland RPI just dropped 30+ places. Losing to weak teams on the road is bad but losing to them at home is a disaster.

YSU looks like a team that can shoot! They also have a player they may want to place under armed guard just in case Michigan St starts snooping around. Maybe the HL can get a group rate insurance policy to cover future economic losses caused by Izzo's activity.
Hmm...Izzo.  Maybe that's why the MSU Farm System Horizon League Tournament was moved to Michigan.

vu72

Surprises abound.  Milwaukee beat northern but trailed with 5 to go.  They did not look pulled together at all.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

1/4/16 Finals - Iona's win didn't help the ol' RPI... (Niagara falls to 3-12),
VALPO RPI is now 44... ok MAYBE A LITTLE...45 minutes later, the RPI is 42.

Detroit (8-5) 88 Cleveland State (5-10) 80
Iona (7-6) 65 Niagara 52
Green Bay (9-5) 76  Wright State (7-8) 68
Milwaukee (10-5) 76 Northern Kentucky (4-9) 67
Youngstown State (6-9) 100 Oakland (9-6) 98

talksalot

looking ahead:

Tuesday 1/5
Washington Generals Vs. Globetrotters @ Valparaiso University
Richmond @ Rhode Island - ESPN-U,6pm Central

motowntitan

Quote from: HC on January 04, 2016, 08:44:31 PM
Man bun guy was lighting up Oakland in the first half. ESPN3 was a bit, ok a lot, glitchy during the second half.

LOL, that's the same thing we called him on Sat.

oklahomamick

Don't know why they are fussing...They will still host. 
CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

I wonder who will be handling the "game management" for the tournament?  Scoring, Clock, PA...   

When the Mid-Con tourney was in the Quad Cities, the Valpo table worked every game...not the case when it moved to Kemper.