• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Video Boards

Started by valpomarketingguy, July 19, 2011, 04:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpomarketingguy

Quote from: vufan75 on August 22, 2011, 01:51:01 PM
Looks like the new video boards just arrived and per ML's comment on twitter earlier today they should be installed this week.  

@ValpoADMark LaBarbera

"Just watched the new video boards arrive. Installation will be done by end of week."

Photos of the delivery and initial installation steps have been posted on the Crusader's Facebook page.  Check them out here: Video Board Delivery

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: vufan75 on August 22, 2011, 01:51:01 PM
Looks like the new video boards just arrived and per ML's comment on twitter earlier today they should be installed this week. 

@ValpoADMark LaBarbera

"Just watched the new video boards arrive. Installation will be done by end of week."

Can't wait to see it in action!
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

blackpantheruwm

Does anyone other than me feel like this is putting lipstick on a pig?

Maybe it's just the outsider's point of view, but the ARC's whole experience screams high school - it's not because it's old, as Hinkle Fieldhouse and the Cell don't give off that feel - but it resembles a high school gym more than any other in the conference.  Now that Loyola is going over a wholesale renovation, Valpo's ARC looks seriously behind the times, despite being the fifth-newest arena of the 10.

I get the whole "collegiate ambiance," and VU does it as well as anybody, but that doesn't mean that comfortable chairback seating and legitimate concourses will cancel out the feel of the building.

To me, the court looks great, the scoreboard will look great, but when you take in the entire arena's look, there will still be the negatives that come along with it - banners for everything under the sun (I recognize it houses volleyball too), temporary bleachers, concessions sold 15 feet from the (north?) basket - the arena could use a much more ambitious remodeling, or a replacement altogether.

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: vu72 on August 15, 2011, 07:11:25 PM
If you blow it up a little you can see the score:  Valpo 85 Visitors 79.  Interesting, I think it foretells things to come...Hummm   ;)

Are you going to be scheduling Visitors University?

vu72

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on August 23, 2011, 03:38:40 PM
Quote from: vu72 on August 15, 2011, 07:11:25 PM
If you blow it up a little you can see the score:  Valpo 85 Visitors 79.  Interesting, I think it foretells things to come...Hummm   ;)

Are you going to be scheduling Visitors University?

Actually it's a very inside reference to a key win from last year.  Funny that no one questioned the post!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

rlh

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on August 23, 2011, 03:38:08 PM

Maybe it's just the outsider's point of view, but the ARC's whole experience screams high school - it's not because it's old, as Hinkle Fieldhouse and the Cell don't give off that feel - but it resembles a high school gym more than any other in the conference.  Now that Loyola is going over a wholesale renovation, Valpo's ARC looks seriously behind the times, despite being the fifth-newest arena of the 10.

I get the whole "collegiate ambiance," and VU does it as well as anybody, but that doesn't mean that comfortable chairback seating and legitimate concourses will cancel out the feel of the building.

To me, the court looks great, the scoreboard will look great, but when you take in the entire arena's look, there will still be the negatives that come along with it - banners for everything under the sun (I recognize it houses volleyball too), temporary bleachers, concessions sold 15 feet from the (north?) basket - the arena could use a much more ambitious remodeling, or a replacement altogether.
I believe that the shortcomings of the ARC can be taken care of internally and not with the building of a new arena, which is not justified by our attendance.  The video boards and last years new floor are a good start.  Maybe new chairbacks in the lower bowl may be on the drawing board, but you have to start somewhere and I think the administration is taking steps in the right direction so kudos for that

crusaderjoe

Maybe it's just the outsider's point of view, but the ARC's whole experience screams high school - it's not because it's old, as Hinkle Fieldhouse and the Cell don't give off that feel - but it resembles a high school gym more than any other in the conference.  Now that Loyola is going over a wholesale renovation, Valpo's ARC looks seriously behind the times, despite being the fifth-newest arena of the 10.

Yes.  This is absolutely lipstick on a pig, IMO.  Loyola, who arguably had the second worst venue in the league after us, is remodeling their arena in its entirety. When it is completed, it will put our facility far far behind any other venue in the league.  We will be a distant 10th for sure and it will be embarrassing.  Instead of taking note of this fact, here some of us are, chest-thumping about new video boards that are replacing scoreboards that were installed during the Regan administration. 

Don't get me wrong. I do think the AD should get credit for getting these boards.  They should generally enhance the attendee experience.  But at the end of the day the addition of these boards do not scream "hell yeah" with respect to overall program commitment by the University because these boards should have been replaced years ago in the first place.  This is the reality.  What I am most worried about is that a new venue will never get off the ground at VU because people can now point to these boards as being proof of some kind of commitment to the basketball program.  Such a view is pretextual in my view.  You want commitment?  Take a look at what Loyola is doing.

wh

Maybe it's just the outsider's point of view, but the ARC's whole experience screams high school - it's not because it's old, as Hinkle Fieldhouse and the Cell don't give off that feel - but it resembles a high school gym more than any other in the conference.  Now that Loyola is going over a wholesale renovation, Valpo's ARC looks seriously behind the times, despite being the fifth-newest arena of the 10.

While I agree that much more remains to be done, I don't think it's fair to say the new scoreboard is like putting lipstick on a pig.  Anyway you slice it, it's still a significant improvement and I think the Athletic Dept. deserves a lot of credit for pulling it off.  It is going to take a major commitment from people at much higher levels than the AD to make the changes you are suggesting.  As others have pointed out, that probably is not going to happen any time soon, given the current state of the Obama economy.  

valpopal

The new video scoreboard has been installed and it looks terrific! I was going to take a photo, but I see the Valpo Crusader has already posted to facebook a number of pictures showing the new scoreboard and the installation process:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.621663050509.2102478.40803816&type=1

vu72

I'm told this cost 500k, and, as you might expect given the price tag, that it is truly top drawer.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: valpopal on August 26, 2011, 12:46:38 PM
The new video scoreboard has been installed and it looks terrific! I was going to take a photo, but I see the Valpo Crusader has already posted to facebook a number of pictures showing the new scoreboard and the installation process:

When I click on the link, it says content is currently unavailable.  When I sign in I can't find it either.  Help...

valpopal

Quote from: wh on August 26, 2011, 03:06:34 PM
Quote from: valpopal on August 26, 2011, 12:46:38 PM

When I click on the link, it says content is currently unavailable.  When I sign in I can't find it either.  Help...

Not sure why the link doesn't work, but here is a photo of the new scoreboard (click on the picture to make it bigger). Unfortunately, I haven't seen it lit yet.

sliman

I do not see a photo with valpopal's post.  Am I missing a link somewhere?

sliman

Never mind.  The photo appeared after I logged in to send the above message.  Chalk it up to a learning experience.

vuweathernerd

i think one of the best parts of this is that no longer will there be a ridiculous number of bulbs not working from the start of the season. that made me cringe every year when i would look up there during exhibition games in november.

ps - anybody know when hoops mania is this year?

vufan75

According to a tweet from earlier today from Valpo AD Mark LaBarbera, the new video boards are nice. Can't wait to see them in action.

Mark tweeted "Standing in the ARC watching the new video boards. Amazing!"

Does anyone know, was the sound system upgraded as well?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vufan75 on September 01, 2011, 05:22:40 PM
According to a tweet from earlier today from Valpo AD Mark LaBarbera, the new video boards are nice. Can't wait to see them in action.

Mark tweeted "Standing in the ARC watching the new video boards. Amazing!"

Does anyone know, was the sound system upgraded as well?

one can only hope so. but with the cost of the video boards (i think i read somewhere $500k), there may not have been much more for the sound system.

valpotx

I thought one of the releases said the sound system would be upgraded at the same time?
"Don't mess with Texas"

vufan75

You are correct, valpotx. Mark Labarbera tweeted about the sound system and said....

"Sound system upgrade tested today. Amazing! Between video & sound a whole new experience in ARC. Check it out @ volleyball this weekend."

valpospartan

Quote from: vufan75 on September 02, 2011, 01:31:25 PM
You are correct, valpotx. Mark Labarbera tweeted about the sound system and said....

"Sound system upgrade tested today. Amazing! Between video & sound a whole new experience in ARC. Check it out @ volleyball this weekend."

I was at the volley ball game this morning.  Here are my reviews:

video board - Good looking videos.  SCORE OF GAME NOT SHOWN.  :crazy:  McDonald's ad on bottom (which can only be read from one side) is unattractive.  Return their money & paint it black.

Sound system - a waste of money.  It is still difficult to hear the announcer.  Certainly not AMAZING!  When the ARC is full of cheering people, I think it will be more than difficult to hear any spoken words.

valporun

Quote from: valpospartan on September 02, 2011, 02:05:41 PM

I was at the volley ball game this morning.  Here are my reviews:

video board - Good looking videos.  SCORE OF GAME NOT SHOWN.  :crazy:  McDonald's ad on bottom (which can only be read from one side) is unattractive.  Return their money & paint it black.

Sound system - a waste of money.  It is still difficult to hear the announcer.  Certainly not AMAZING!  When the ARC is full of cheering people, I think it will be more than difficult to hear any spoken words.

Maybe whoever is working the sound board needs to have a better ear for realizing that while the ARC is a big facility, you can't get a good idea of how it sounds if you're doing a sound check thru headphones?

valpomarketingguy

video board - Good looking videos.  SCORE OF GAME NOT SHOWN.  :crazy:  McDonald's ad on bottom (which can only be read from one side) is unattractive.  Return their money & paint it black.

Sound system - a waste of money.  It is still difficult to hear the announcer.  Certainly not AMAZING!  When the ARC is full of cheering people, I think it will be more than difficult to hear any spoken words.

The score will be a part of the new video board eventually, as will instant replay.  Please understand that the video board and scoreboard installation was completed this morning at 2am and there are several elements that are not fully up and running.  We'll get there as we become more experienced operating the system.  As for the McDonald's sign, it won't be going anywhere soon and there is a reason it is placed where it is.  It's not meant to be read by those in the chairbacks.

sectionee

People in chairbacks are to sophistimucated to eat at a joint like McDonalds.  They will probably have to look at an advertisement for Le Peep.

But seriously, I can't wait to take a look tomorrow at the new upgrades tomorrow!

KL31NY

Quote from: valpomarketingguy on September 02, 2011, 04:32:23 PM

The score will be a part of the new video board eventually, as will instant replay.  Please understand that the video board and scoreboard installation was completed this morning at 2am and there are several elements that are not fully up and running.  We'll get there as we become more experienced operating the system.  As for the McDonald's sign, it won't be going anywhere soon and there is a reason it is placed where it is.  It's not meant to be read by those in the chairbacks.

Thanks for the update, valpomarketingguy! I figured that those things would get eased in as everyone works with the new equipment. I will ask, though, what will occupy the area next to each scoreboard. It's just black right now.

I also concur on just about everything valpospartan said. I personally hate the sound system set-up right now. The bass is too loud for my taste and it's tough to understand the noise and hear my own thoughts.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

blackpantheruwm