• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015 Football Season Post Mortem

Started by VULB#62, November 22, 2015, 11:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 03, 2015, 10:14:38 AMIf so, that's a shame.  For some unknown reason, that kid was followed by a gray cloud. Not fair. I viewed his recruiting highlights tape and was really impressed.  I would have liked to have seen him on the field in a college game situation -- just once. On "paper*," the 2016 QB roster is down to 3 returning:  Ryan with the most experience, Dalton returning from shoulder surgery and Jake who redshirted last season. Ryan, mainly a passer not a runner,  showed some flashes, but also made some bad reads and gave up a few pick 6s. Dalton was a hybrid runner passer or passer runner, but our sample size is too small to pass judgment.  And we haven't seen Jake in a college situation yet, so we don't know what kind of ball he throws, how good/fast a runner he is or how he manages games. In retrospect, Ben was best suited for the offense that Valpo is using as he could run, pass from the pocket  and pass on the run.  He proved that in the one year he was a starter.  Using him as the benchmark, Dalton was first in line this season due to his versatility until he went down and no one else could quite do all that was demanded of the position.  Essentially the QB slot was one-dimensional and posed no running threat.# That needs to be addressed - especially in that our O-line is/will be undersized and young even next year.  It will be interesting to see whether the offense (and therefore, the QB role) changes/adjusts as a result of what we could and could not do this season. *rumors of a QB defection not withstanding # That's fine if you have a flat out great passer.

A few pretty well informed points and some opinion. Smith was very unlikely to provide much for Valpo as a QB. He's apparently sticking around in a coach/manager role which is a good thing. It's what he was doing this year anyway and the team can use the help in that capacity as well. The bizarre comment by Vickrey that Connor was in any way ready to play as a backup in Jax was just really weird as it was not happening.

Stokes fits the offense the best but has had a couple of injuries and now has a tough situation to come back from. Clarke's problem in this offense is less mobility than it is simple accuracy in the short game. He can make the long throws very well but the bread and butter of this offense is short to medium throws. Paliga? We'll see. Lot's of ability. There was a fair amount of comment that he is leaving. Coaches comments don't reflect that and it sounds like they are counting on him. Remember that, at this time last year, the expectation was that the QB was going to be a red shirt transfer who never even got to spring practice IIRC.  I REALLY hope he's back.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 03, 2015, 12:17:00 PMThe fact that 2015 was his first full class (started late after his hire in 2014 and only got, what, 15 to come in?) and he lost twenty-something seniors from the 2014 squad, I'd say season 4 will be the pivotal season. By that time the 2015 class will be juniors and the 2016 class will be sophomores.

I don't know about put up or shut up as it was put but the team has to show that they are moving forward.

Recruiting wise, typically Valpo takes what they can get and don't necessarily recruit for specific positions but this HAS to be a defensive recruiting class. QB could be an issue. RB will lose Jake and I'll guess BHall as well since that was the expectation I heard. Hopefully he has a change of heart. Bastin was out for quite a while with concussion issues, I don't think it's the first time and he may be a loss as well. That would leave Legend and Jarrett. Depth needed there...probably. OL should be much better just from a year's experience. Always need OLmen as recruits. WR with Catrine on one side is good. The other side someone needs to step up. They were essentially a zero when Catrine got hurt. Slots should be capably manned with Rene, Shea and Dugan. TE and Hback have two quality players who should only get better. With the right QB, these guys can run rings around a defense. If it's lob it up to Catrine again next year, they won't do anything.

They will need defensive players who can play right away. That's the concern. Offense should be ok except for some depth in spots.

As far a Cecchini, as I said, progress will need to be shown and he should have had enough time to evaluate his staff and make any changes if he feels the need. He can't wait until year 4 to start making moves on that front...in my opinion.

Brandon

Quote from: VU2624 on December 03, 2015, 05:10:09 PMThe bizarre comment by Vickrey that Connor was in any way ready to play as a backup in Jax was just really weird as it was not happening. 

Cecchini told me Thursday before the Jacksonville game that Smith was cleared to throw and sounded optimistic he'd be available as the backup for Saturday. I believe he tried to throw in practice later that day and it didn't go well. DC earlier this week: "His doctors quickly said, no you can't do that, and shut that idea down." Conner's going to stay around and help the coaching staff.

bbtds

If I remember correctly Connor spent some time at the Perry Meridian radio station and might be a good asset to have in the WVUR booth. I heard that he once had a vision of being a broadcast personality.

VU2624

Quote from: Brandon on December 03, 2015, 11:42:48 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on December 03, 2015, 05:10:09 PMThe bizarre comment by Vickrey that Connor was in any way ready to play as a backup in Jax was just really weird as it was not happening. 

Cecchini told me Thursday before the Jacksonville game that Smith was cleared to throw and sounded optimistic he'd be available as the backup for Saturday. I believe he tried to throw in practice later that day and it didn't go well. DC earlier this week: "His doctors quickly said, no you can't do that, and shut that idea down." Conner's going to stay around and help the coaching staff.

Thanks Brandon and understand you can only report what you've been told. I wasn't implying that you were making it up, if that's your take, just that it was weird because he hadn't practiced. There were some other things going on with the QB situation which maybe the staff was trying to avoid discussing and not let Jax know what the backup plan was.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VU2624 on December 03, 2015, 05:20:58 PMRecruiting wise, typically Valpo takes what they can get and don't necessarily recruit for specific positions but this HAS to be a defensive recruiting class. QB could be an issue. RB will lose Jake and I'll guess BHall as well since that was the expectation I heard. Hopefully he has a change of heart. Bastin was out for quite a while with concussion issues, I don't think it's the first time and he may be a loss as well. That would leave Legend and Jarrett. Depth needed there...probably. OL should be much better just from a year's experience. Always need OLmen as recruits. WR with Catrine on one side is good. The other side someone needs to step up. They were essentially a zero when Catrine got hurt. Slots should be capably manned with Rene, Shea and Dugan. TE and Hback have two quality players who should only get better. With the right QB, these guys can run rings around a defense. If it's lob it up to Catrine again next year, they won't do anything. They will need defensive players who can play right away. That's the concern. Offense should be ok except for some depth in spots

Seems to me we must add at least one QB (probably two given injuries) and two RBs. If most return we could live without any OL and WR but I assume we will add some which is fine. Agree on defensive especially DL. We lose Guilford, Cotton, White and probably Scoville plus Buchanan seems to have dropped during the season. Only De La Rosa and Sloane return who played a lot and lets be honest he is too small to be a DL. Add to that Green and his annual 100 tackles will graduate.

VULB#62

Sorta agreeing with 2426.  As this program progresses toward competitiveness it needs to get the best players available regardless of position to bring up the overall quality of talent across the board.  We are not in a position to be selective about positions - yet.  Once the program is brought to a competitive level that sees us consistently winning at a .500 clip in the PFL with blips up into the 6+ win range on occasion, then we will have the luxury of more targeted recruiting.  Having said this, obviously weak/thin positions need to be shored up ASAP. 

I'm wondering if the staff is considering recruiting the JC football world for some immediate boost?  That's how we got David Macchi.

VU2624

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 04, 2015, 09:44:45 AM
Quote from: VU2624 on December 03, 2015, 05:20:58 PMRecruiting wise, typically Valpo takes what they can get and don't necessarily recruit for specific positions but this HAS to be a defensive recruiting class. QB could be an issue. RB will lose Jake and I'll guess BHall as well since that was the expectation I heard. Hopefully he has a change of heart. Bastin was out for quite a while with concussion issues, I don't think it's the first time and he may be a loss as well. That would leave Legend and Jarrett. Depth needed there...probably. OL should be much better just from a year's experience. Always need OLmen as recruits. WR with Catrine on one side is good. The other side someone needs to step up. They were essentially a zero when Catrine got hurt. Slots should be capably manned with Rene, Shea and Dugan. TE and Hback have two quality players who should only get better. With the right QB, these guys can run rings around a defense. If it's lob it up to Catrine again next year, they won't do anything. They will need defensive players who can play right away. That's the concern. Offense should be ok except for some depth in spots
Seems to me we must add at least one QB (probably two given injuries) and two RBs. If most return we could live without any OL and WR but I assume we will add some which is fine. Agree on defensive especially DL. We lose Guilford, Cotton, White and probably Scoville plus Buchanan seems to have dropped during the season. Only De La Rosa and Sloane return who played a lot and lets be honest he is too small to be a DL. Add to that Green and his annual 100 tackles will graduate.

One thing a more experienced roster provides is quicker paced and more productive practices particularly in summer camp. In this staff's first year, the offense had a lot of returners and nearly no freshman who had to step in and play and the offense clicked pretty well. Last year, with a bunch of freshman WRs, TEs and OL, I can't imagine camp moved along all that swiftly. In fact, that was the word. So next year the offense has a chance to practice at a competitive pace after a full spring as well.

Defense may be another story.

VULB#62

That's what I heard from the coaches too after SHU.  They needed to spend a lot of time bringing the freshman along and teaching college level techniques.  Not to mention that they had a whole slew of them to teach.

vumsb

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 04, 2015, 09:44:45 AM

Let's not forget we had two QB's and two starting RBs suffer concussions this season. The running game was stalled this year because of the OL. Hall suffered a concussion early and missed a couple of games and Bastin missed the last 5 (?) games with his. IMO (and the opinion of many others I have talked to) the OL is the most critical component of fixing the offense next season.

VULB#62

A good OL makes mediocre QBs and RBs look good; a mediocre OL makes good QBs and RBs look mediocre.

VU2624

One thing I thought of after last posting is Spring Ball could have 2 or 1 QB participating which may limit some things they work on. I have no idea where Cody Labanowitz is with his injury recovery but he was a QB in HS although more of a runner. He may be pressed into service if healthy.

VULB#62

This string is about looking at who we are as a football program.  So, I was scanning various Twitter pages and came across a retweet by VU FB coach Vinny Giacalone of a "Looking Beyond Sports" video of our Nick Turner.  This is the type of kid we recruit.  Couldn't be prouder of him or our program for finding kids like him.

[tweet]676491897544814592[/tweet]

From The VU Roster page:

Nick Turner
Freshman, ILB, 6-0, 230#

Prep: A three-year letterwinner for the Blue Devils...earned All-Conference Honorable Mention accolades and Academic All-Conference honors as a sophomore...named First Team All-Conference and First Team All-Area in addition to receiving his second Academic All-Conference nod his junior year...was an Academic All-State recipient in 2013...selected Team Defensive Player of the Year while collecting First Team All-Conference and First Team All-Area distinction his senior season...named a Daily Herald Player of the Week in 2014...earned a letter in basketball...made Honor Roll in 2011-12 and 2013-14, and High Honor Roll in 2012-13 and 2014-15.

Personal: Nick is the son of Coryn Turner...majoring in engineering...born September 23rd, 1996.

vu72

Wow!  So impressive.  Makes winning at all costs seem so worthless.  What a fine young man.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

There are winds of change starting to rustle up their ugly heads as the VU football program marches on.............into what?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2624

Quote from: historyman on December 18, 2015, 04:07:09 PMThere are winds of change starting to rustle up their ugly heads as the VU football program marches on.............into what? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Don't be a tease. Do tell!

usc4valpo

what's the big news? A heated pressbox? Tailgating with the evil malted beverage? Do tell!

VULB#62

Quote from: historyman on December 18, 2015, 04:07:09 PM
There are winds of change starting to rustle up their ugly heads as the VU football program marches on.............into what?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

"Ugly" is the operative term here. This isn't teasing, it's sadism.

historyman

In Dave Cecchini's first game as head coach I stated that I didn't think DavCe had done only slightly better than DalCa in his first game. Both first games were against WIU. I was told how much better Valpo was during the DavCe time because of some items he had done better during his first year. Valpo won 4 games, had a quarterback who performed reasonably well, and the defense was looking particularly better than under DalCa's time. Now during DavCe second year I'm hearing ugly rumblings about how the coaching staff is letting the team down and there are beginning to be mutinies among the players. As some of the upperclassmen were upset because some of the freshmen and sophomores were getting playing time without earning it in an effort to build the team for the future. So this past season the Crusaders won 1 game (not counting the CoF game) which is what DalCa did in 3 of his seasons. Is this truly going to be a better program in DavCe' time as compared to DalCa's time? I say only slightly better. Was it worth it to bring in DavCe? Only the next two years will tell. It is so interesting to see some people on here seeing the truth about the quality of DavCe. It might not be that the quality matches the hype.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Thanks HM for expanding on your original message. Yep, year two was not a happy year. And the issues you point to were/are real. Some mistakes were made, but a good staff will learn from those mistakes. I think most us agree that the next two years will indicate the direction of the program. But that's the case with many programs trying to dig their way out of the basement. Whew, at first, I was thinking that you were privy to news that Cecchini was leaving, or that the sport was being dropped, or something just as dramatic. 

At this early stage, I believe that we will be 1-2 going into the 2016 PFL schedule and that we will probably win two games for a 3-8 season.  A 4-7 record might be within reach, however. But there will also probably be one PFL clunker along the way.

In 2017 we again will be 1-2 going into the PFL schedule. The two  losses should be less one-sided (although Montana is a top flight FCS team). We should win 3 to 4 PFL games for a 4-7 or possibly 5-6 record.  Even then there may be a PFL clunker, but generally we should be in just about every PFL game.

That type of scenario would indicate to me that progress has been achieved and that we are headed in the right direction. By the 2018 season our program should be stable and deep enough to be, at a minimum, a 4 to 5 PFL win team year in and year out, with an occasional 6 PFL win season thrown in. And a 6-2 PFL season might even get us a championship depending on the season. Please note that my emphasis is the 8 game PFL schedule.  Nothing else should realistically be a part of the progress measuring stick (unless perhaps if we can't even beat an NAIA school in 2017).

usc4valpo

Again, compared to these other programs in the Pioneer League, is Valpo truly committed to football? Or is it a cash cow to bring in male students?

Perhaps the upperclassmen were not at a talent level for a successful program.

Sorry, 3-8 and 4-7 season does not cut it or should meet expectations.

Cecchini is an improvement over Carlson, period.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 19, 2015, 10:44:31 PMThanks HM for expanding on your original message. Yep, year two was not a happy year. And the issues you point to were/are real. Some mistakes were made, but a good staff will learn from those mistakes. I think most us agree that the next two years will indicate the direction of the program. But that's the case with many programs trying to dig their way out of the basement. Whew, at first, I was thinking that you were privy to news that Cecchini was leaving, or that the sport was being dropped, or something just as dramatic. At this early stage, I believe that we will be 1-2 going into the 2016 PFL schedule and that we will probably win two games for a 3-8 season.  A 4-7 record might be within reach, however. But there will also probably be one PFL clunker along the way. In 2017 we again will be 1-2 going into the PFL schedule. The two  losses should be less one-sided (although Montana is a top flight FCS team). We should win 3 to 4 PFL games for a 4-7 or possibly 5-6 record.  Even then there may be a PFL clunker, but generally we should be in just about every PFL game. That type of scenario would indicate to me that progress has been achieved and that we are headed in the right direction. By the 2018 season our program should be stable and deep enough to be, at a minimum, a 4 to 5 PFL win team year in and year out, with an occasional 6 PFL win season thrown in. And a 6-2 PFL season might even get us a championship depending on the season. Please note that my emphasis is the 8 game PFL schedule.  Nothing else should realistically be a part of the progress measuring stick (unless perhaps if we can't even beat an NAIA school in 2017).

I assume Valpo will be able to beat Trinity Intl and indeed be 1-2 going in to PFL play. In league play they should be capable of a win vs. Davidson, Stetson, Butler, Morehead State with Drake, Dayton, SD and Jax being much tougher to consider at this point.

It will be very interesting to see if there are changes on the coaching staff during the next couple of months which is when assistants generally move around. Cecchini is going into a year in which there likely has to be demonstrated improvement.  After a couple of years of evaluation of the staff, if he's going to make any moves, this would be the time you would expect him to do so. Scuttlebutt is that he is but that could also simply be scuttlebutt.

Roster wise, the offense is back for the most part with a few problems. The entire WR crew is back with a need for an outside receiver to step up opposite Catrine. TE/Hback should be fine with Sutter and Nordberg. RB has Legend and Morgan for sure. Bastin may be a question mark and we have to see if BHall elects to return for a 5th year. This is also a position where it is easier for a freshman to step in immediately if that becomes necessary. The OL should be markedly better as going from Freshman year to Sophomore year is usually a big improvement jump.

Then there's QB. Right now it's Clarke and Paliga. It may not be in a couple of weeks. Stokes won't be ready until fall and he's returning from a very tough injury for a QB. Having one QB for spring ball, if that is the case, will be a problem just in general.  There aren't a lot of upperclassmen on the offensive side of the ball and even those will have eligibility beyond this season should they choose.

Defense is where the largest holes will be. The two or three best players on defense need to be replaced along with some depth guys. Hopefully some of last years recruiting class steps up because a defense with a few freshman starters could be a problem.

Next few months should answer some questions as to who returns both on the coaching staff and roster.

dime life

Hmmm soooo, the H-Man is correct ref current state of the team. Major issues with players and how the some of staff handled accountability (I did my job, you guys s@@k). Also, the messaging of "we are working towards the future" to the existing players. The reality was we had freshman and some soph's simply walk into positions in August that they never really earned. Am guessing they were promised a few things in recruiting? There will be some players not returning. In fact, we have a situation of a perfect storm brewing. I guess some freshman unhappy because of what they went through this season and also upperclassmen who witnessed a change in the coaching philosophy from the prior season. It is quite obvious having watched the players lack of some focus during the games, the staff (staff running out of the press box to scream at players on the field) and the expectations we had coming into the season, that 2015 was a major step back. Finally, for those of you saying maybe the freshman were just better, wake up. WE WON 1 GAME. We were smashed by Stetson. Stetson. Not Dayton. Stetson. Yet no attempt was made to try and use other players who had played last year, won a few games, are mentally tougher and came to VALPO trying to revive the program. I am objective enough to know there were a few impact players from the freshman class that deserved major reps, however, I feel that the team could of mixed in upper classmen and made more adjustments week to week to find the right mixes( IE not subbing 4 RB's per game) and game palns. Will see what happens.                   

Vinny

According to Brandon Vickery, Paliga is transferring to Purdue at semester. With the injury to Stokes, Valpo is left with one quarterback for the spring. Shaping up like last offseason all over again.

usc4valpo

think of the bright side, Valpo is still raking in cash by having football. With the status of the football at Valpo, and the lack of committment for success, it is a lean mean money making machine.