• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Changes for 2016

Started by VULB#62, December 23, 2015, 09:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

First change I noted in the staff is that Kurt Mattix has moved on to Eastern Kentucky. Mattix was the Special Teams Coordinator and LB coach. He was a Valpo grad. He had replaced Justin Stovall.  Justin, IMO, was much better suited for that role -- he played LB at the I-AA level (Mattix didn't) and the 2014 special teams seemed more explosive (ranked first in the conference in punt return average (14.9 yds), kickoff return average (21.8 yds), blocked kicks (6), and special teams touchdowns (2). Valpo's kickoff return unit paved the way for Jarrett Morgan, as a freshmen, to lead the FCS in kickoff return average (34.9 yes).  Wish Kurt well. Hope we can find a great replacement.

VU2624

Nashville Post has Mattix going to EKU as DC which seems like a pretty big jump for him. Best of luck to Coach Mattix.

VULB#62

Mattix goes to a program who just replaced Hood, the HFBC for the past 8 years who had a 55-38 record. They had high hopes for a great season and only went 6-5.

Haven't seen anything on the EKU site yet. DC is a major jump for a guy with his resume (I.e., never been one I think). The new HC comes from UTennessee. 

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 23, 2015, 04:37:29 PMMattix goes to a program who just replaced Hood, the HFBC for the past 8 years who had a 55-38 record. They had high hopes for a great season and only went 6-5. Haven't seen anything on the EKU site yet. DC is a major jump for a guy with his resume (I.e., never been one I think). The new HC comes from UTennessee.

I was looking for a connection between the new HC and Coach Mattix but couldn't find one. Coordinators typically are known entities to the HC but guess not in all cases. Maybe there is a logical connection that I just can't find.

VULB#62

Check out Brandon Vickrey's Twitter site for info on players who will not return next season.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrandonVickrey

So far, losing Fr. WRs Keenan Franz and Chris Mercer, Fr. QB Nick Pilagia, (R-Soph) OLs Kyle Jones and Jonathan Hammond. Grayson Bastin expected to return and Brandon Hall is undecided.

usc4valpo

Correct me if I am wrong, but if Keenan Franz cannot make it up the Valpo charts and if the twitter is true, how does he think he will succeed at a higher level? Give me a break. This is entitlement running amok.

VULB#62

Both Franz and Mercer had WR talent, but they did not see as much playing time as even I thought they would. But so much goes into determining that which us outsiders don't know about (e.g. sloppy pass routes in practice, missed weight sessions -- not implying that these were issues with these lads, just examples of possible behind the scenes reasons for placement on the depth chart).  Had both stayed I'm sure their playing time would have increased corresponding to their offseason and spring efforts. But it could just be that they disagreed with their place on the depth chart and seek affirmation somewhere else. I hope they find what they are seeking.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 24, 2015, 09:51:28 AMBoth Franz and Mercer had WR talent, but they did not see as much playing time as even I thought they would. But so much goes into determining that which us outsiders don't know about (e.g. sloppy pass routes in practice, missed weight sessions -- not implying that these were issues with these lads, just examples of possible behind the scenes reasons for placement on the depth chart).  Had both stayed I'm sure their playing time would have increased corresponding to their offseason and spring efforts. But it could just be that they disagreed with their place on the depth chart and seek affirmation somewhere else. I hope they find what they are seeking.

One of these guys was a practice player who never showed up in games and probably saw too much playing time in the first place.  In neither case was it apparent in any way that these guys would see more time in '16 anyway.  The position opposite Catrine was up for grabs all year and no one took the spot and when Catrine went out, it was more of an opportunity for one or two of them to show up and none really did. Ryan Moore was probably the best of them and he and Colton Hill were seeing a good chunk of the playing time the last couple of games.

A couple of the not returners were also part of the frosh vs. returners thing on one side or the other. Let's hope the transfer happens for the QB.

VULB#62

Thanks for the added insight 2624.

vumsb

Not surprising really. It's not unusual for freshman to feel that they are better than they really are at the college level. Reality checks are needed in a lot of cases. Unfortunately from everything I am hearing Brandon Hall is not going to be coming back. I know the coaches are trying desperately to convince him to stay but I think that ship has sailed. As far as Bastin is concerned I hope he can return. This team will need him at RB as well as his senior leadership and maturity.

IndyValpo

[/quote
Quote from: usc4valpo on December 24, 2015, 08:15:35 AM
This is entitlement running amok.

What a sad post from you. Kid wants to try something bigger, nothing wrong with it whether or not he is successful.

usc4valpo

Respectfully, you are wrong Indy. It is nice to have dreams, but one needs to consider reality and the future. Here is a player at a non-scholarship division 1 school, which is consistently in the bottom half of the worst rated conference in college football, and he has experienced minimal or no playing time. Now this player thinks he can elevate himself at a higher level of football. What is the reasoning here, or is there more to the story? The reality is that football will not take him to the promised land and he should prioritize what is important for his future. I have seen many athletes putting all their motivation into their sport, and then they find out that are not as good as they think.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 24, 2015, 03:59:31 PM
Respectfully, you are wrong Indy. It is nice to have dreams, but one needs to consider reality and the future. Here is a player at a non-scholarship division 1 school, which is consistently in the bottom half of the worst rated conference in college football, and he has experienced minimal or no playing time. Now this player thinks he can elevate himself at a higher level of football. What is the reasoning here, or is there more to the story? The reality is that football will not take him to the promised land and he should prioritize what is important for his future. I have seen many athletes putting all their motivation into their sport, and then they find out that are not as good as they think.

VU2624

The reasons for the departure(s) can be multifaceted and those doing the departing from a situation will put out reasons which are only partially etched in truth. It could come down to non football reasons which could include that they simply couldn't afford the cost and just don't want to say that.

Mercer and Franz, btw, I wouldn't call their playing time minimal at all. If we think back to last year and the rotating of Gladney, Taibi and Warren at Z with one of them filling in for Kuramata for a series or two a game and the pattern was pretty much the same particularly through about the 3/4 mark of this season with different players.

usc4valpo

OK, we are talking about 19 year old kids making decisions here ...

For the record, Franz played 9 games last year, for 5 catches for 44 yards.

I am guessing there is much more to his departure, perhaps academics, forking out $40K a year to play, etc. I certainly wish him the best.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 25, 2015, 02:21:50 PM
OK, we are talking about 19 year old kids making decisions here ...

For the record, Franz played 9 games last year, for 5 catches for 44 yards.

I am guessing there is much more to his departure, perhaps academics, forking out $40K a year to play, etc. I certainly wish him the best.

It could I also be a Clay Yeo type of thing -- big fish in a smaller pond thing. This is college (not FBS) after all and none of these kids will play beyond graduation. So if they can find a place where they can play as much as they did in HS, so much better for them.

usc4valpo

good call 62, but playing at a higher level is different than the big fish in a small pond scenario. There is more to life than catching a few passes a year on a football team.

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 25, 2015, 05:57:07 PMgood call 62, but playing at a higher level is different than the big fish in a small pond scenario. There is more to life than catching a few passes a year on a football team.

Which, at this point in their collegiate life, may not be as apparent to them as it is to those of us who've had much more life experience. It can take a couple of years before the college experience becomes less about (insert sport here) and more about the entire collegiate experience.

usc4valpo

Excellent post. Perhaps someone who is a friend or has courage may want to have a reality check conversation with this young man.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 25, 2015, 05:57:07 PM
good call 62, but playing at a higher level is different than the big fish in a small pond scenario. There is more to life than catching a few passes a year on a football team.

We are going with Brandon's words from Twitter on this.  But 'higher' in this context could, might, maybe translate to "better" fit for each of them. That fit might be accurately assessed or, on the other hand, unrealistic.  Time will tell for them. Regardless of where they wind up I wish them well. In the meantime, the Valpo program needs to constantly be looking for players that always increase the overall talent level at every position on both sides of the ball.

In that vein, I hope the 2016 class is a step up in quality and smaller in quantity. I know we are not in a position to be too picky yet, but it sure would be nice to bring in, say, 30 really good players and keep things more manageable. Not our call; just my opinion.

VU2624

Change but not for valpo. Jacksonville's issues with change in coaching staff, major change in offense and players looking for immediate release because scholarships promised to them are not coming to fruition....at least according to the players.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2015-12-23/story/multiple-ju-football-players-seek-legal-help?utm_source=Recommendation_Widget&utm_medium=desktop&utm_campaign=qrec&utm_content=image

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on December 26, 2015, 02:07:31 PM
Change but not for valpo. Jacksonville's issues with change in coaching staff, major change in offense and players looking for immediate release because scholarships promised to them are not coming to fruition....at least according to the players.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2015-12-23/story/multiple-ju-football-players-seek-legal-help?utm_source=Recommendation_Widget&utm_medium=desktop&utm_campaign=qrec&utm_content=image

Oh, this is juicy. You reap what you sew. This basically confirms that JU was luring players with the promise of FB scholarships. This could cause a lot of turmoil in that program. There must have been a lot of yelling and screaming in the athletic offices the last two years.

[Mercer Rant Alert]. Mercer at least was true to their sandbagging of the PFL and used it for only one season to jump start their program and then left.  Glad they are gone. Kinda wish JU would have gone the same route.

Any word on where the ex-coach, Kerwin Bell, landed?

On a tangential path:  seeing they hired an option coach who had success at Army and Lenoir Rhyne,  I, me, personally (and an old-time FB coach ) have wondered why we haven't followed the Armies and Navies in implementing a rushing attack that neutralizes superior size and skill. If Navy can be successful against bigger, more talented FCS factories, why not us against bigger more talented PFL teams?

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 26, 2015, 03:26:35 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on December 26, 2015, 02:07:31 PMChange but not for valpo. Jacksonville's issues with change in coaching staff, major change in offense and players looking for immediate release because scholarships promised to them are not coming to fruition....at least according to the players. http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2015-12-23/story/multiple-ju-football-players-seek-legal-help?utm_source=Recommendation_Widget&utm_medium=desktop&utm_campaign=qrec&utm_content=image
Oh, this is juicy. You reap what you sew. This basically confirms that JU was luring players with the promise of FB scholarships. This could cause a lot of turmoil in that program. There must have been a lot of yelling and screaming in the athletic offices the last two years. [Mercer Rant Alert]. Mercer at least was true to their sandbagging of the PFL and used it for only one season to jump start their program and then left.  Glad they are gone. Kinda wish JU would have gone the same route. Any word on where the ex-coach, Kerwin Bell, landed? On a tangential path:  seeing they hired an option coach who had success at Army and Lenoir Rhyne,  I, me, personally (and an old-time FB coach ) have wondered why we haven't followed the Armies and Navies in implementing a rushing attack that neutralizes superior size and skill. If Navy can be successful against bigger, more talented FCS factories, why not us against bigger more talented PFL teams?

I've thought the same regarding running an offense no one else sees to defend against. It has it's plusses and minuses. If it's not working perfectly, it's an absolute disaster. Even teams such as GaTech, AirForce and Navy can, sometime inexplicably, just not be able to accomplish anything on offense and if the team gets behind it's not an offense that is a catch up offense. You also have to recruit to the offense which can be difficult for a school such as Valpo which seems to recruit more to bringing in who they can rather than specific attributes.

As far as JU, let's see if they can get that offense fired up quickly and have them remain at the top.

VULB#62

I know. You'd be recruiting QBs who are runners first and adequate passers. They also have to be smart with quick reactions. And you'd need a bunch of running backs in the FB and tailback mode. There is still room for wideouts and slot receivers, but you don't need to go 5 deep there.  But, here is where the big difference comes in -- Navy can get away with smaller OL cuz it's mostly angle blocking and double teams.

usc4valpo

maybe if we add the lonesome polecat play or recruit some farm boys for the line to run student body left, we can enhance the offense.

Valpo basically needs better talent at WR, RB and QB. Except for Catrine and Rane, the cupboard is bare and the varnish is peeling.