• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Changes for 2016

Started by VULB#62, December 23, 2015, 09:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Oh, don't be so cynical USC.   ;)   In today's spread trend it is all about the QB. Good receivers don't matter if the guy getting the snap can't get them the ball. Heck, the the single wing, also with a deep direct snap, had more versatility and greater deception. It's not about gimmicks, it's about being realistic and having an offense that uses the best of what you've got the best way.  But that's not for us to call. It's up to Coach C to find the fits and do the adjusting. Bottom line it stil comes down to blocking, tackling, passing, catching and carrying the football.

usc4valpo

I need to be the voice of reason 62! Especially after being brainwashed listening to Chicago sports radio.

The spread  requires a huge commitment and practice to execute it correctly.

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 26, 2015, 07:39:36 PMmaybe if we add the lonesome polecat play or recruit some farm boys for the line to run student body left, we can enhance the offense. Valpo basically needs better talent at WR, RB and QB. Except for Catrine and Rane, the cupboard is bare and the varnish is peeling.

The team had 2 backs who've put up seasons in the past of +/- 800yds in a season on the roster who couldn't get anything done last year. If you actually watch the games you'd see WRs running wide open in perpetuity in some cases (check the Butler game as a for instance) with the ball force fed to the one WR who isn't open and/or the wide open guys are missed with passes not even close.

The ability at WR and RB is fine with maybe some depth needed. When the QB can't get them the ball, which was a problem a good portion of the season and/or the OL can't provide protection or running lanes everyone wants to blame the backs and receivers.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 26, 2015, 06:43:30 PMI know. You'd be recruiting QBs who are runners first and adequate passers. They also have to be smart with quick reactions. And you'd need a bunch of running backs in the FB and tailback mode. There is still room for wideouts and slot receivers, but you don't need to go 5 deep there.  But, here is where the big difference comes in -- Navy can get away with smaller OL cuz it's mostly angle blocking and double teams.

Yeah you shift the emphasis from WR to RB in terms of numbers and you need mobile lineman and not more of the "behemoth" types....and I mean that in a relative sense.

usc4valpo

Ok, so how do we find a qb to clean this? Check who is doing well in junior college to get a quick fix.

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 27, 2015, 09:02:37 PMOk, so how do we find a qb to clean this? Check who is doing well in junior college to get a quick fix.

Do JC players typically move to the PFL? JC players who are doing well move to scholarship programs I'd imagine.

usc4valpo

That is a good observation 2624. My bad.

Valpo needs talent everywhere, but if there is a position where they are desperate, it is QB. And yes, I am the master of the obvious.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 26, 2015, 10:09:53 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on December 25, 2015, 05:57:07 PMgood call 62, but playing at a higher level is different than the big fish in a small pond scenario. There is more to life than catching a few passes a year on a football team.
We are going with Brandon's words from Twitter on this.  But 'higher' in this context could, might, maybe translate to "better" fit for each of them. That fit might be accurately assessed or, on the other hand, unrealistic.  Time will tell for them. Regardless of where they wind up I wish them well. 

Latest article by Brandon Vickrey mentions C. Mercer enrolling at Central Michigan and attempting to walk on. Nothing further on Franz. Cecchini also seemed to be implying that there were a few more who will do the same. The team had lost some players during the season (left the team) in a few WRs and at least one RB off the top of my head so we'll see what the true number is when off season workouts begin next week when the spring semester gets fired up.

valpotx

Quote from: VU2624 on December 27, 2015, 09:56:24 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on December 27, 2015, 09:02:37 PMOk, so how do we find a qb to clean this? Check who is doing well in junior college to get a quick fix.

Do JC players typically move to the PFL? JC players who are doing well move to scholarship programs I'd imagine.

David Macchi....find an undersized QB who can air it out in the JC ranks.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2624

To this point, no QB has surfaced other than those from 2015. Maybe he's keeping a low profile.

VU2624

Ronnie Reitz a WR from Chicago is first commit I can find.

Can we find a commit or two for DL and LB?

vu72

Quote from: VU2624 on January 16, 2016, 10:45:40 AM

I read an article a couple of days ago about a kid from Edina, Minnesota who would play DL if he comes.  He was offered by us (whatever that means?) and now is deciding between being a preferred walk-on at North Dakota and studying engineering at Valpo.  Seems an easy decision to me.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1632176-hunt-talks-valpo-offer-und-commitment
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

QuoteHe had previously had offers for a preferred walk-on spot from the University of North Dakota and South Dakota State University, but this was the first time a school offered him a scholarship.

He said that it was nice to finally have a school like him enough as a player to want to offer and the fact that Valparaiso has the degree he hopes to pursue makes it even more appealing.

"It was nice to finally get an offer," Hunt said. "Finally get that want from a school, the money, but it's a great school. They've got engineering there, that's what I want to study in college, so it's definitely nice."

This chap was offered a scholarship...presumably to Valpo? I might read that letter (assuming he got one and it's not a verbal) again.

vu72

Quote from: vu72 on January 16, 2016, 05:45:00 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on January 16, 2016, 10:45:40 AM

I read an article a couple of days ago about a kid from Edina, Minnesota who would play DL if he comes.  He was offered by us (whatever that means?) and now is deciding between being a preferred walk-on at North Dakota and studying engineering at Valpo.  Seems an easy decision to me.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1632176-hunt-talks-valpo-offer-und-commitment

The kid in question, Devan Hunt, plays at Edina High School in metro Minneapolis.  I just happen to have a good friend who is a volunteer assistant coach on thier football team.  I reached out to him and this is what he told me:

Yes, I'm still doing football. I have to tell you that Devan was one of my all-time favorites. He's a great kid, one of our Captains this year, very coach able, strong as an ox and comes from a nice family. He is also our best wrestler at heavyweight. He played at about 290 this year. He does need a little work on his foot speed on the line, but that can be coached.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

Great report vu72. Now lets hope the young man completes the arduous journey to the first day of Valpo Football Camp in August.

VULB#62

Brandon Vickrey has tweeted some more commits as of this weekend. I can't copy and paste them but he reports at least 4 and one is OL I believe.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 18, 2016, 08:26:46 PMBrandon Vickrey has tweeted some more commits as of this weekend. I can't copy and paste them but he reports at least 4 and one is OL I believe.

The OL is from Florida it appears based on coach tweets.

VULB#62

I think it's time for a 2016 recruits string. This string was targeted at program changes. Let's keep it that way.   Please post observations on possible new 2016 players on the new "2016 Recruits" string. 

VU2624

Some notes and all of them aren't good. This all via Brandon Vickrey's twitter.

RBs coach John Snyder is now also the ST coordinator

Still interviewing for LB Coach.

9 commits thus far.

Bad news:

Legend Choudry DNR for semester 2. Tore his ACL in postseason, had surgery and elected to not return to school.

RBs may be down to Graysin Bastin and Jarrett Morgan. Fortunately RB is a spot freshman seem to be able to step into from the get go.

VULB#62

That is bad news about Legend.  He had solid potential IMO. Electing not to come back for the second semester does not necessarily mean he is lost to the program, but a busted ACL takes time to repair and taking a semester off at this point allows for that healing without forking out the tuition (said hopefully).

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 20, 2016, 09:52:26 PM
That is bad news about Legend.  He had solid potential IMO. Electing not to come back for the second semester does not necessarily mean he is lost to the program, but a busted ACL takes time to repair and taking a semester off at this point allows for that healing without forking out the tuition (said hopefully).

I asked about it after I found out and it didn't sound as if his not coming back was in anyway temporary.

talksalot

Quote from: VU2624 on January 20, 2016, 02:11:56 PMLegend Choudry

for future research... you would probably need to spell his name correctly...   Feel for him, he was showing solid progress in the RB position; hope he can get through the injury and continue his college academic and athletic career ...

Legend Choudhry

VU2624

Quote from: talksalot on January 21, 2016, 09:15:07 AM
Quote from: VU2624 on January 20, 2016, 02:11:56 PMLegend Choudry
for future research... you would probably need to spell his name correctly...   Feel for him, he was showing solid progress in the RB position; hope he can get through the injury and continue his college academic and athletic career ... Legend Choudhry

I'll take that under advisement sir spell checker.

For future posting purposes....your sentence structure is poor and you left out a personal pronoun in one sentence.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on January 20, 2016, 02:11:56 PM
RBs coach John Snyder is now also the ST coordinator

Still interviewing for LB Coach.

We've gone through 2 STCs in two years. I'm glad John got the ST Coordinator job.  We are going into year 3 and John has been with Cecchini's program from the start.  Though the role is new for him, he represents continuity and an understanding of the program that a new guy would not necessarily have. 

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 26, 2016, 11:44:07 AM
Quote from: VU2624 on January 20, 2016, 02:11:56 PMRBs coach John Snyder is now also the ST coordinator Still interviewing for LB Coach.
We've gone through 2 STCs in two years. I'm glad John got the ST Coordinator job.  We are going into year 3 and John has been with Cecchini's program from the start.  Though the role is new for him, he represents continuity and an understanding of the program that a new guy would not necessarily have.

Coach Snyder is a holdover from the previous regime for one year. Good guy.