• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Stanford in the Rose Bowl

Started by usc4valpo, January 05, 2016, 11:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

The Valpo football team should review how Stanford's offensive line and defense performed (OK, completely dominated) during the Rose Bowl. I know Christian McCaffrey was phenomenal, anyone can acknowledge that. But their offensive line fundamentally has excellent technique and in general these guys know how to block! Also, the Stanford defense knows how to square in and tackle. Stanford is a well coached team, and I think the team can learn from this.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 05, 2016, 11:53:06 AM
The Valpo football team should review how Stanford's offensive line and defense performed (OK, completely dominated) during the Rose Bowl. I know Christian McCaffrey was phenomenal, anyone can acknowledge that. But their offensive line fundamentally has excellent technique and in general these guys know how to block! Also, the Stanford defense knows how to square in and tackle. Stanford is a well coached team, and I think the team can learn from this.

And their HC was an assistant in the PFL!

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on January 05, 2016, 12:20:32 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on January 05, 2016, 11:53:06 AM

And their HC was an assistant in the PFL!

And the HC before him was a HC in the PFL 8-)

Oh, BTW, the Stanford Football site lists a dedicated football staff of 44 (forty-four  :o ). That includes, for instance, 3 people on the video staff, 5 performance coaches,  4 physicians,  3 trainers, etc.  That's 1 staff member for every 2 players (NCAA -- 85 scholarships).  I think we can learn from this too   ;)

VU2624

It's not a bulletin that good offensive line play leads to good offensive performance.

usc4valpo

What I would propose is that the Valpo coaching staff and O-Line review the Rose Bowl film, as  Stanford's 0-line technique reflects excellent talent and coaching.

Harbaugh and Shaw have done an outstanding job turning the Stanford football program around while dealing (to an extent) with academic restrictions.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 05, 2016, 04:23:21 PM
What I would propose is that the Valpo coaching staff and O-Line review the Rose Bowl film, as  Stanford's 0-line technique reflects excellent talent and coaching.

Harbaugh and Shaw have done an outstanding job turning the Stanford football program around while dealing (to an extent) with academic restrictions.

Quote from: VU2624 on January 05, 2016, 03:54:09 PM
It's not a bulletin that good offensive line play leads to good offensive performance.

Hey SC, thanks for thinking in terms of helping the program.  But I don't know if this is the answer.  Stanford can go after great OL talent because it's the premier FBS university (and among all universities) in the country in terms of the value of the sheepskin -- Stanford or Harvard take your pick.  But Harvard doesn't play FBS nor does it grant athletic scholarships.  Imagine getting a full ride to Palo Alto, graduating and not having the talent to go pro.  You still make a killing in business or whatever.  It also doesn't hurt that Stanford is rich and can afford a staff of 44 just for football. 

Anyway....
1)  If they match up size-wise with FBS opponents (I think they do)
2)  If they zone block (which just about everyone does these days)
3)  Add in their better intelligence level (it is Stanford after all)

I don't believe the Valpo staff will learn much about changing our OL situation. 

On the other hand,

1) If the Stanford OL is smaller than the rest of the Pac-12
2) If they employ rules blocking and/or do a lot of traps and angle blocking to offset size and strength disadvantages

Then Cecchini and his staff should be on the first flight to San Jose.

In line with your idea, though, is to seek out programs who have successfully overcome the size/power obstacle -- e.g., how does Army or Navy lead the country in rushing while playing teams who are always bigger and stronger? 

In the meantime, its up to our staff to make our youngsters bigger, stronger and quicker in the off season and recruit like hell to fortify all the positions.

usc4valpo

62, that was not my intent with the message. Watch Stanford's blocking schemes. Watch how McCaffery is patient in finding the hole. Watch the defense square away and how they tackle. Fundamentally they are very sound.

No, I will not get into the Stanford Band. Iowa fans are overly sensitive about that.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 05, 2016, 06:29:07 PM
No, I will not get into the Stanford Band. Iowa fans are overly sensitive about that.
:rotfl:

You may be referring to the rules blocking then?  If so, a visit is in order.

usc4valpo

Not sure what you mean. Stanford band did not break any rules, did they? They were just goofy and joking about farming.

VULB#62

Goofy. Exactly. Don't cha love Em?

Reference to rules blocking was about OL. 😊