• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2016 Football Recruits

Started by VULB#62, January 19, 2016, 09:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 02, 2016, 09:51:50 AMYup.  Here's Brandon's tweet on him: [tweet]694350631348363264[/tweet] Check out his Hudl highlights.  Goes to the ball really well. Observation on the earlier list -- only one Florida player this time around out of the 19 names we have (now including O'Brien).  That could be because former coach, Kurt Mattix, was responsible for that state and he left right after the season ended.

Aside from the DB from Davie, all of these kids aren't even a stressful car ride from campus. None from TX, CA, westcoast or further from FL. Maybe recruiting budget is down?

Justin Stovall was the Florida recruiter at this time last year. It's also possible that they figure the beef comes from the midwest and the skill players from FL/TX. The need for skill position players, save QB, is less than the trenches/2nd level so they may be focusing on need.

The QB situation remains a potential outright disaster for the program. At this point, an ankle sprain away from not being able to hold a viable spring practice session.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on February 02, 2016, 11:13:23 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 02, 2016, 09:51:50 AMYup.  Here's Brandon's tweet on him: [tweet]694350631348363264[/tweet] Check out his Hudl highlights.  Goes to the ball really well. Observation on the earlier list -- only one Florida player this time around out of the 19 names we have (now including O'Brien).  That could be because former coach, Kurt Mattix, was responsible for that state and he left right after the season ended.

Aside from the DB from Davie, all of these kids aren't even a stressful car ride from campus. None from TX, CA, westcoast or further from FL. Maybe recruiting budget is down?

Justin Stovall was the Florida recruiter at this time last year. It's also possible that they figure the beef comes from the midwest and the skill players from FL/TX. The need for skill position players, save QB, is less than the trenches/2nd level so they may be focusing on need.

The QB situation remains a potential outright disaster for the program. At this point, an ankle sprain away from not being able to hold a viable spring practice session.

Or maybe there has just been a shift in recruiting philosophy to concentrate on the central Midwest. Of the 17 of 18.....

6 - Illinois
5 - Indiana
3 - Ohio
3 - Michigan

Regardless, it will mean more players' families in the stands at home games.

VU2624

Not sure what would be the impetus of that type of shift but it could be I guess.

crusader05

Does anyone know what the retention is for our players from down south?

I can imagine that the weather can have an impact and maybe if they get hurt or their football career doesn't go the way they imagined it they might be more tempted to leave?

VULB#62

I have no idea and I would assume that each class is different. But the Florida kids who came on board during the Carlson era, despite all the hardship and big losses, seemed to enjoy being at Valpo and many stuck it out all four years. Talking to some of their parents, they echoed the same thing -- it was more than just FB.

VU2624

I don't think the retention rate for FL is any worse, in fact it seems better, over the last few years than Midwest states. The roster lost 2 WRs and a QB all Midwesterners for the spring. If they aren't recruiting FL they're being derelict in their duty. Same with some other more faraway states.

Brandon Vickrey:

Brandon Vickrey ‏@BrandonVickrey  · 4h4 hours ago 
QB Jimmy Seewald (Dearborn, Mich.) is deciding between Ferris State and Valpo. He's expected to announce his decision today or tomorrow.

Don't know anything about the kid but if he can get the ball past the line of scrimmage he's a keeper.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on February 02, 2016, 05:28:22 PM
I don't think the retention rate for FL is any worse, in fact it seems better, over the last few years than Midwest states. The roster lost 2 WRs and a QB all Midwesterners for the spring. If they aren't recruiting FL they're being derelict in their duty. Same with some other more faraway states.

Brandon Vickrey:

QB Jimmy Seewald (Dearborn, Mich.) is deciding between Ferris State and Valpo. He's expected to announce his decision today or tomorrow.

Don't know anything about the kid but if he can get the ball past the line of scrimmage he's a keeper.

6-5, 215
Divine Child HS, Dearborn.

Sr Season:  8 Games - 140/245 (57%) -- 1723 yds and 24 TDs (1 TD for every 5.8 completions)

VU2624

Big kid. Looks like a decent arm and he's not a statue. Can get out of trouble...at least in HS.

VULB#62

If he signs, he is guaranteed starting for 2 years (unless we find a 2017 who is better) even if he doesn't beat Ryan out in August. He certainly will see some D-I action this fall. I emphasize D-I even though we are PFL. And during the Winter months he will be attending real  D-I MBB games. That kind of legitimizes our FCS program

VULB#62

A little bird told me to expect a first wave of around 26 signees with maybe another 12 or so after the dust settles. That's a great class size wise. Hope we get the quality we need.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 02, 2016, 06:24:31 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on February 02, 2016, 05:28:22 PM

Brandon Vickrey:

6-5, 215
Divine Child HS, Dearborn.

Sr Season:  8 Games - 140/245 (57%) -- 1723 yds and 24 TDs (1 TD for every 5.8 completions)

Maybe Coach Dorow could relate some of the negatives I'm sure she overheard about football at Ferris State. If she would be inclined to do so. She may have a lot of loyalty to that school. I know that she could at least touch on the fact that Ferris is state run while Valpo has to be more like Divine Child HS.

http://divinechildhighschool.org/

VULB#62

As much as I despise Mercer for how they manipulated the PFL in their one short year of membership, they really know how to take advantage of PR.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/recruiting/2016/02/02/mercer-football-national-signing-day-times-square-new-york/79712920/

They will be postponing the publicity about the signings due to the shooting death of one of their basketball players, but the ideas they are running with certainly get them publicity.  feel bad for the BB program and Jibri Bryan's family.

VU2624

QB Seewald committed to Valpo per Brandon Vickrey

VULB#62

Good news for next Fall.  Anxiously waiting for the Football Twitter and FaceBook sites to start officially announcing signees.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on February 03, 2016, 11:17:46 AM
QB Seewald committed to Valpo per Brandon Vickrey

Watched his Hudl highlights just now.  At 6'5' he dwarfed many of the kids on the field -- even the linemen.  Threw the ball deep a lot.  One thing I noted is a a bit of a strange delivery.  It's over the top (not side-arm) which is good, but he lifts his right leg as he throws.  That means he throws almost entirely off his left (lead) leg. A bit unorthodox.

VULB#62

Rumor has it that two more QBs are on the possibles list -- both will make decisions after NSD.  One is more likely, the other is waiting for financial aid information so he can decide.. 

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 03, 2016, 12:36:04 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on February 03, 2016, 11:17:46 AMQB Seewald committed to Valpo per Brandon Vickrey
Watched his Hudl highlights just now.  At 6'5' he dwarfed many of the kids on the field -- even the linemen.  Threw the ball deep a lot.  One thing I noted is a a bit of a strange delivery.  It's over the top (not side-arm) which is good, but he lifts his right leg as he throws.  That means he throws almost entirely off his left (lead) leg. A bit unorthodox.

Throws out of his shoulder a bit without extending fully. I noticed that his delivery is a little funky but it does seem to come out fast.

vu72

So right now I counted 20. 5 from Ohio, 5 from Michigan, 3 from Indiana, 3 from Michigan, 2 from Texas and 1 each from Wisconsin and Florida.  Great start!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Though not announced both DB Sean Moore and DE Connor Sperling have signed.

VU2624

Anyone have a compilation? I realize I'm in the minority but I prefer a list over the one every 15 mins on twitter.

VU2624

Quote from: vu72 on February 03, 2016, 04:25:26 PMSo right now I counted 20. 5 from Ohio, 5 from Michigan, 3 from Indiana, 3 from Michigan, 2 from Texas and 1 each from Wisconsin and Florida.  Great start!!

Not sure when "right now" was but there's 3 from FL that I see. Williams, Cartales and the unannounced Moore.

Let's hope that Moore and Sperling didn't have second thoughts but based on twitter pages, that does not seem to be the case.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 26, 2016, 11:13:48 AM
Adding some data

Quote from: VU2624 on January 19, 2016, 11:15:33 PM

Brandon Vickrey ‏@BrandonVickrey Jan 17

More Valpo football commits: OT Solomon Kamara (6-3, 275, 5.2 40)@kamara72 Plainfield, Ill. & DE Jimmy Zajac (6-6, 235, 5.2 40) @Jimmy50Zajac Tinley Park, Ill.

Another confirmed @valpoufootball commit from today is C/DE @seanpearce51 (6-3, 280) from Grayslake, Ill.

.@valpoufootball getting a slew of commitments, including Cincinnati duo TE/FB Brannen Martin (6-2, 248, 4.9 40) @Brannen13 & OLB @Kyle_Farwick  (6-0. 200)@LaSallePride.

also was mention of a Florida OL in addition to what Brandon tweeted.

Also the link to DT/OG Devan Hunt (Edina, Minnesota) who is deciding between U of North Dakota as a preferred walk-on and Valpo (financial aid package)

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1632176-hunt-talks-valpo-offer-und-commitment

... and some data:  6-4, 295, 5.3 40  If he comes, the staff sees him as a DT.  He certainly has the size we need up front.
Devan Hunt signed with North Dakota.....too bad

IndyValpo

One of the QB's we offered (Danny Carollo) is going to Purdue as a preferred walk on. What exactly is a preferred walk on? That makes 2 walk on QB's at Purdue, not sure what that means for Paliga.

vu72

Quote from: VU2624 on February 03, 2016, 08:03:50 PM
Quote from: vu72 on February 03, 2016, 04:25:26 PMSo right now I counted 20. 5 from Ohio, 5 from Michigan, 3 from Indiana, 3 from Michigan, 2 from Texas and 1 each from Wisconsin and Florida.  Great start!!

Not sure when "right now" was but there's 3 from FL that I see. Williams, Cartales and the unannounced Moore.

Let's hope that Moore and Sperling didn't have second thoughts but based on twitter pages, that does not seem to be the case.

Not to be a smart ass but "right now" was at the time of the post (4:25)  I believe the total now is 24 with 6 from Illinois, 5 from Ohio and 4 from Michigan as the lead states.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

Quote from: vu72 on February 03, 2016, 09:07:33 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on February 03, 2016, 08:03:50 PM
Not sure when "right now" was but there's 3 from FL that I see. Williams, Cartales and the unannounced Moore. Let's hope that Moore and Sperling didn't have second thoughts but based on twitter pages, that does not seem to be the case.
Not to be a smart ass but "right now" was at the time of the post (4:25)  I believe the total now is 24 with 6 from Illinois, 5 from Ohio and 4 from Michigan as the lead states.

No ill will intended.