• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Brandon Wood to play on an aircraft carrier?

Started by valpotx, July 22, 2011, 03:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I guess that I haven't seen an aircraft carrier in person for about 25 years, but I just can't picture a basketball game with 7,000 spectators on the flight deck!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6793377/deal-north-carolina-tar-heels-vs-michigan-state-spartans-november-aircraft-carrier-game-signed
"Don't mess with Texas"

sectionee

What will they do when Zeller swats the ball into the sea?  That would be quite an experience to play on an aircraft carrier.

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on July 22, 2011, 03:38:24 PM
I guess that I haven't seen an aircraft carrier in person for about 25 years, but I just can't picture a basketball game with 7,000 spectators on the flight deck!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6793377/deal-north-carolina-tar-heels-vs-michigan-state-spartans-november-aircraft-carrier-game-signed

I think an aircraft carrier has a deck that is about 3.5 to 4 acres.  I would think that is more than enough for a basketball court and 7k temporary seats. 

covufan

Quote from: covufan on July 22, 2011, 06:06:51 PM
Quote from: valpotx on July 22, 2011, 03:38:24 PM

I think an aircraft carrier has a deck that is about 3.5 to 4 acres.  I would think that is more than enough for a basketball court and 7k temporary seats. 

From http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/carriers.htm

"The Navy likes to call the big Nimitz class carriers "4.5 acres of sovereign and mobile American territory" ". 

Maybe I was remembering the JFK, which may have had smaller deck.

valpospartan

Michigan State has had an innovative Athletic Department, for several years.  In 2001 their hockey team hosted Univ. of Michigan in an outdoor game played in Spartan Stadium, with a world record attendance of over 74,000.  In 2003 the Basketball team hosted Kentucky in a game played at Ford Field, in Detroit, in front of 78,130 (the most attended basketball game).  And now basketball on an aircraft carrier.  I'll bet B Wood never dreamed he'd be doing that.

lowposter

How cool is that going to be.  Will Mr. Wood and family be able to attend?

crusaderdad

Potential looks for venue. Each player gets 3/4 tickets for "immediate" family only. Names will be printed on tickets along with background checks for obvious security reasons.  Brandon's mom, sister and I will be enjoying this one. 

sectionee

valpofan56

valpo04

I was reading Uni-Watch this morning and came across this...

Basketball player inadvertently confirms the design of jerseys

QuoteValparaiso transfer Brandon Wood tweets daily about his life and how proud he is to be a new Spartan. On July 21, he tweeted that he had a photo shoot. Later that day, he posted this image and changed his twitter profile picture to this.

Why care so much about three tweets? Because Wood inadvertently confirmed that the Spartan basketball team will be wearing the same jerseys for this season as they did last year.

Wood is wearing last year's jersey in both photos, which leads me to believe that we will be starting the season in the same jerseys as last year. Why else would they have a new jersey made for Brandon Wood with his name on the back for a photo, only to change the style before the season?

There is a possibility that the style may change halfway through the season, which is how the 2010 jerseys were introduced. Illinois followed our lead of the midseason-style-switch when they introduced their new jerseys last year.

http://www.spartanjerseys.com/blog/michigan-state-basketball/basketball-player-inadvertently-confirms-the-design-of-jerseys/

crusaderdad

Whoever wrote the jersey article jumped to a conclusion.
:)
No name on back and everybody wore that jersey for headshots.

It just happened to be Brandon's #

valpotx

Wow, impressive how it all came together.  Will be an interesting game if they keep it on the top of the carrier, seeing what possible wind can do.  I remember they had an NBA game outside a few years ago at a tennis complex that led to some poor shooting for the same reason.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo04

vuweathernerd

i think this is such a cool concept, and would like to see it done every year, maybe rotating carriers.

valpofan56

Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 11, 2011, 06:58:05 PM
i think this is such a cool concept, and would like to see it done every year, maybe rotating carriers.

It is going to be repeated. MSU is going to be playing in it again in 2013. I think there's also a women's game scheduled at some point.

valpo04

Quote from: valpofan56 on November 11, 2011, 07:35:01 PM

It is going to be repeated. MSU is going to be playing in it again in 2013. I think there's also a women's game scheduled at some point.

This year?  I was wondering why they had a women's 3 point line painted on the floor.

valpofan56

Quote from: valpo04 on November 11, 2011, 07:42:26 PM

This year?  I was wondering why they had a women's 3 point line painted on the floor.

Not sure, but I was wondering about the women's line too since didn't the women's line move back to the same one the guys use?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpofan56 on November 11, 2011, 08:49:07 PM

Not sure, but I was wondering about the women's line too since didn't the women's line move back to the same one the guys use?

yeah, i think they did move it back this year. so why would they keep the extra line down? it just clutters up the floor.

valpofan56

Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 12, 2011, 06:23:29 AM
Quote from: valpofan56 on November 11, 2011, 08:49:07 PM

yeah, i think they did move it back this year. so why would they keep the extra line down? it just clutters up the floor.

Not to mention that the men's line was so hard to see and the old women's line was as bold as could be.

vu72

I watched the game last night, (had the Valpo game video feed on my lap! and the MSU game on the TV)  What I saw was Brandon playing well, and hit a bomb early in the game but finished with maybe 5 or 6 points.  His role is so different than at Valpo.  He moves around trying to get the ball but in general once it goes inside it is all over one way or another.  His playing time was limited as well.

If he wants to showcase his game, I think it will be difficult at MSU.  Their style looks more like the NBA than a college team.  Lots of one-on-one efforts.  I hope it changes for the good of Brandon who is a fine young man.  I wish him nothing but the best.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

dylanrocks

I want to echo vu72's sentiments on the subject.

While I wish Brandon nothing but the best, except against mid-major competition, it's not inconceivable that he's made a terrible mistake.

Valpo89

Terrible mistake?

Lets see. Last night, the VU basketball team was in Statesboro, Ga. It took a flight to Atlanta followed by a 3-hour bus ride to get to Statesboro. After the game, they took the long ride back to Atlanta, spent the night and caught an 8 a.m. flight back to Chicago. The game was against one of the worst teams in Division I basketball last year.

Brandon Wood shook the hand of president Obama last night. He got to play a high-level college basketball game in one of the most unique venues of all time. He is starting for a Big 10 team. He is traveling in style.

Ultimately, I don't think it matters tremendously if he stayed at VU or transferred as far as his NBA potential is concerned. He's either good enough or he's not. He will get more exposure at MSU and play against better players not only in games but also in practice. Also, maybe he will be "exposed" which could be a problem. That's the chance he was willing to take, and I don't blame him at all for taking advantage of this opportunity. As a matter of fact, I say congratulations for chasing after his dream in the best possible manner in his mind.

For one night, at least, it was an awesome decision.