• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2016 Spring Football

Started by VU2624, March 10, 2016, 03:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2624

QuoteVALPARAISO

2015 Records: 1-9 overall, 1-7 PFL (Tie/9th)

Spring Practices: March 23-April 18 (spring game is April 16)

Storyline: Among the quarterbacks, Dalton Stokes, last year's season-opening starter, is still recovering from a shoulder injury and his replacement, Ryan Clarke, is coming off a dislocated kneecap, so third-year coach Dave Cecchini is limited at the position in spring practices. With a virtually non-existent run game last season, wide receiver Jarrett Morgan is expected to transition to running back. Coupled with the offensive line being young last season, the Crusaders know where the improvement must start this spring. Their passing game has solid potential with wide receivers Fran Catrine and Jean Rene returning. On defense, the Crusaders have lost linebacker Alex Green, their first All-PFL first-team selection since 2006.

Rest of teams are here:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/pioneer-football-league-spring-primer-030116

VULB#62

Thanks for setting this up.  Now we wait.

Still waiting for the second wave of recruits to be released on Twitter.

I wonder if they might ask Conner and/or Scott (if he's still on campus) to temporarily help out at QB in the practices?  Conner can't throw the ball but he certainly can do most other QB stuff in non-contact situations. Scott can still throw. Between them they equal 1 FTE (full time equivalent) at the position.  :)

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 10, 2016, 04:12:47 PMThanks for setting this up.  Now we wait. Still waiting for the second wave of recruits to be released on Twitter. I wonder if they might ask Conner and/or Scott (if he's still on campus) to temporarily help out at QB in the practices?  Conner can't throw the ball but he certainly can do most other QB stuff in non-contact situations. Scott can still throw. Between them they equal 1 FTE (full time equivalent) at the position.  :)

Hadn't considered the Scott angle. Maybe. Not sure if there's a liability issue there or, if there is, what it would be.

Clearly have to keep the QB healthy through Spring or they might as well abandon the Spring offensive skill practice.

VU2624

Brandon Vickrey's Torch article on Spring Football.

http://www.valpotorch.com/sports/article_adae482c-f0fc-11e5-8202-8f668d9f6a3e.html

QuotePerhaps the most significant impact of the thin quarterback ranks during the spring will be during individual quarterback and wide receiver drills. Typically, receivers run routes one after another with four quarterbacks rotating throws. That gives each QB about 15 seconds between throws while still allowing the drill to move at a rapid pace.

"That's where it's going to hurt us the most," Cecchini said. "We're going to have to be smart with that in terms of pace. We'll have coaches throwing balls and things like that to get the ball out to guys. We'll see how much it affects us. In terms of team (drills), there's not going to be much of an impact."

The running back position will be youthful during the spring. Brandon Hall has decided to forgo his final year of eligibility and Grayson Bastin is out with a knee injury. A timetable for Bastin's return is unclear.

Jarrett Morgan will start the spring atop the running back depth chart. Elias Early has moved from slot receiver to running back.

IndyValpo

Has a spring roster been posted anywhere?  I am curious to see just how many did not return from 2015.

VU2624

There hasn't been a spring roster posted in a number of years, if there ever was with the exception of the day of the game.

VULB#62

The closet we've come is the choose up sides draft for the last scrimmage (probably no game this spring).

talksalot

Well, I have it on my calendar to be there...in the pressbox... if there's a microphone... I may use it ...

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 24, 2016, 05:31:45 PMThe closet we've come is the choose up sides draft for the last scrimmage (probably no game this spring).

Same style as last year. Modified scoring.

VUOR63

Any chance that College of Faith would come and scrimmage us?  Maybe promise them we'd use modified scoring?

VULB#62

SPRING?!?! FOOTBALL

[tweet]718551246135771137[/tweet]

talksalot

11am NEXT Saturday... spring football game at Brown Field... probably be in the 70s...(somewhere)...

VULB#62

I hope someone from this board is there and can report back to the rest of us.  I am really curious about who from the returning group will fill key places for departed seniors like Green and Guilford. The O is returning a lot, but the D will be a project.   Pal will you be shooting?

VULB#62

[tweet]720621839857242112[/tweet]

Seewald can drive to the game.  Duncan needs to fly in from California.  Quite a commitment.  Wonder if Duncan is covered under "official visits"?

VULB#62

[tweet]720667452980510720[/tweet]

This is the last of 13 tweets that talk about players and the team from his chat with Dave Cecchini. Click on this one to follow that string.

VULB#62

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 14, 2016, 11:13:28 AM[tweet]720621839857242112[/tweet] Seewald can drive to the game.  Duncan needs to fly in from California.  Quite a commitment.  Wonder if Duncan is covered under "official visits"?

Not unusual at all for those requiring flight to attend the spring affair.

VULB#62

usc4valpo

Did anything significant happen at the scrimmage yesterday?

VULB#62

Haven't heard of any major injuries. Some new running backs were on stage.  Bobo for one looked decent off a shuffle pass  for a TD in a video clip. They announced captains for 2016 (Catrine, Nunes and Lang) - good choices.   Apparently there was a ton of the 2016 class on hand for the game. I assume the staff had a full program for them built around the scrimmage. There's a clip on the FBTwitter site showing what I think are the new kids on their way to the scrimmage each tapping the Victory Bell -- nice touch. Actually, I see this staff trying to develop some team-centric traditions like this and singing the Valpo fight song  to the fans after home games.  Dang,  Cecchini is doing a lot of good things, but it all comes down to talent, and a history of losing is hard to overcome. Yet, it took Homer, what, 5 losing years to turn the MBB program around.   It's all about progress, progress, progress.

VU2624

What we saw in the scrimmage was summed up accurately by the coach. Not sure there's much of a recruit program for the spring game. They are mostly there to watch the game, intermingle with parents and friends of current players both before and after game. They are introduced at the after game luncheon. Before and after game festivities is put together by current parents and Coach thanked them effusively at the luncheon. Beautiful day for everyone.

VULB#62

Good to hear it went well.  Thanks for the first hand account.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 17, 2016, 07:32:32 PMThere's a clip on the FBTwitter site showing what I think are the new kids on their way to the scrimmage each tapping the Victory Bell -- nice touch. 

I think this was current players.

VULB#62

Nice touch there too.  Normally, I've observed the players wandering in in dribs and drabs to get themselves ready before a game.  In this case, I would assume they had a team meeting or something, maybe in the FB offices, prior to them going over to the locker room, yes? Just seemed a little out of the way for the players, not so for the new kids.