• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #2 - @ Sacred Heart

Started by VULB#62, September 07, 2016, 05:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2624

Quote from: valpo64 on September 09, 2016, 01:22:05 PMWhat ever happened to the highly rated QB from Andrean HS?

Paliga? He decided he wasn't all that thrilled with football. I think he transferred to Purdue.

vu72

Quote from: VU2624 on September 09, 2016, 01:27:21 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on September 09, 2016, 01:22:05 PMWhat ever happened to the highly rated QB from Andrean HS?

Paliga? He decided he wasn't all that thrilled with football. I think he transferred to Purdue.

Yeah, Jake Paliga is the kid in question.  He did transfer to Purdue and here is what he told the Tribune:

"My love for the game has died down," Paliga said. "College football is a whole new monster compared to high school. After high school, I was thinking about quitting, but I didn't because I didn't want to give up the game yet. As of right now, my love for the game is not the same."

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

footballgods

They have the West Cost Kid that had big numbers in High School  that comes from a school with 6 NFL rookies this year.  and he can run looking at his tape a few months ago.

VU2624

Quote from: footballgods on September 09, 2016, 01:44:56 PMThey have the West Cost Kid that had big numbers in High School  that comes from a school with 6 NFL rookies this year.  and he can run looking at his tape a few months ago.

Dalton Stokes can run. He got hurt running last year. He still hurt from running this year.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on September 09, 2016, 01:39:13 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on September 09, 2016, 01:27:21 PM

Yeah, Jake Paliga is the kid in question.  He did transfer to Purdue and here is what he told the Tribune:

"My love for the game has died down," Paliga said. "College football is a whole new monster compared to high school. After high school, I was thinking about quitting, but I didn't because I didn't want to give up the game yet. As of right now, my love for the game is not the same."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-football-valparaiso-jake-paliga-st-1227-20151226-story.html

footballgods

We will see if they put him in.. You know they have a 300 yrd race every summer camp and who was at the top of all the Qbs, WRs etc...

covufan

VU2624

Quote from: footballgods on September 09, 2016, 03:48:12 PMWe will see if they put him in.. You know they have a 300 yrd race every summer camp and who was at the top of all the Qbs, WRs etc...

Not sure which player you're referring to but that test is simply a conditioning test to make sure the players don't slack during the season. It means virtually nothing in terms of the actual ability to play unless the plan is to run a 4x400m during the game.

Quote from: covufan on September 09, 2016, 05:22:02 PMValpo 17 Sacred Heart 35

This would probably be considered a positive.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: IndyValpo on September 09, 2016, 11:45:37 AM
Quote from: Valpo89 on September 09, 2016, 10:32:12 AM
Two players suffer season-ending injuries against a full-scholarship program in the season opener.

It's time to stop playing these ridiculous pay-day games. It doesn't do anyone any good, except the $80,000-plus to VU's budget. There has to be a better way.

Football's reputation is already suffering with the attention on concussions and CTE. If I had a kid playing football for VU, I wouldn't want him playing in the "sacrificial lamb" game to open the season.

Completely agree, have for years. When we start being competitive at our level perhaps but not now. The Sacred Heart game killed our season last year.  Everyone needs to cross their fingers for Saturday.

I respectfully have to disagree with you both.  Football is a contact sport by nature.  Season ending injuries can occur against anyone you schedule, FCS scholarship or otherwise.  OK, I'll concede though--maybe it's a bad idea playing programs like Montana, Youngstown, North Dakota State et. al., but as I've said before, I'd rather see us lose 99-0 to a scholarship FCS program than beat a D-III team any day of the week.  We're FCS, we have to act like it.

Of course, as a guy removed from my college years it's easy for me to type about scheduling because I'm not the one getting pancaked by a guy 50 lbs. heavier than I am.  That said, if the staff and the kids want to continue to play these types of games, I say continue to schedule them.

VU2624

Quote from: crusaderjoe on September 10, 2016, 09:34:17 AMI respectfully have to disagree with you both.  Football is a contact sport by nature.  Season ending injuries can occur against anyone you schedule, FCS scholarship or otherwise.  OK, I'll concede though--maybe it's a bad idea playing programs like Montana, Youngstown, North Dakota State et. al., but as I've said before, I'd rather see us lose 99-0 to a scholarship FCS program than beat a D-III team any day of the week.  We're FCS, we have to act like it. Of course, as a guy removed from my college years it's easy for me to type about scheduling because I'm not the one getting pancaked by a guy 50 lbs. heavier than I am.  That said, if the staff and the kids want to continue to play these types of games, I say continue to schedule them.

The Nunes injury was a chance situation. The Roberts injury one a very simple one of playing vs. talent much bigger and faster than you. I get what you're saying but not having the players available to play vs the programs in which the talent level is a lot more equal can't possibly be a good thing for the program. Thus, we end up with a situation such as last year in which within the first two games in which the talent gap was significant Valpo loses key players on both sides of the ball including what likely would have been the starting QB (who is still a longshot to play despite what the coach says) and multiple offensive lineman when the team does play the teams in their league and they play those games with a mostly true freshman line. It's just not a good situation except for perhaps the schools bank account.

VU2624

If I'm Valpo....and Sacred Heart wants to cheap shot as they did last year....I'm hunting knees. Too bad.

valporun

Watching the game, and we're playing well so far, but the camera work is Meh, at best. They did a replay on the first TD pass for us, and you saw more of the linemen running downfield to celebrate, than you saw the actual catch. Have a great view of the game from my laptop to Chromecast, just wish the video wasn't so far behind Todd's audio.

VU2624

Dojan123

usc4valpo

Guess what - we may have found a QB!

Dojan123

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 10, 2016, 02:18:32 PM
Guess what - we may have found a QB!

Line for the most part is protecting him. Accuracy has been there as well.

VU2624

Quote from: Dojan123 on September 10, 2016, 02:32:51 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on September 10, 2016, 02:18:32 PMGuess what - we may have found a QB!
Line for the most part is protecting him. Accuracy has been there as well.

Some good movement in the pocket as well. Only one dumbass pass as well.

VU2624

s/b competitive in the PFL. We'll see.

Maybe new QB.

usc4valpo

This QB has potential and they need to put at first string.

I give sacred heart credit fo playing conservatively in the second half and not running up the score.

vu72

Hey!  We beat the point spread as I predicted.  Seriously, I do think we are making progress.  Last year we lost the first two games by 118-13  and this year we are 92-27. Jimmy Sewald appears to be very accurate and should only get better with experience. The kids will continue to get bigger and stronger.  Progress...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

Question is..is Clarke able to play next week. If not and Seewald and either Dalton or one of the other freshman do and play well, then what do you do starting league play?

Stokes' style fits the offense best btw however I'm not sure his arm strength, which is not great anyway, is completely back yet.

Dojan123

This Valpo team is making progress from last year. It is mostly Sophomores and Freshman. You can see the change this year as the Sophomores put on weight and strength. I think we might sneak an unexpected win or two this year in league play.

valporun

Even if Clarke can play next week, start Seewald. Seewald wasn't rushing passes, or forcing the ball into double teams to get downfield. We do hurt not having Catrine out there, plus a running game that can sneak in around the passing game effectively. Yes, some of the running game is based on having strong blocking, but even when we have that, the backs aren't creative with footwork to get to the holes before they're stopped. Next week, I hope, will be a chance to grow, and put some fresh looks out there.

Dojan123

Valpo scored more points on Illinois State than Northwestern did today.

VULB#62

I was working and missed the whole darn game (except for two game tracker checks).  But viewing post game stats i got the impression that the freshman QB stood in there, did not make a lot of typical starter errors and did not cough up the ball like Ryan did last week. It appeared that the second quarter was a defensive brain fart. Other than that we seemed to play respectably. The stat sheet said Simpson tried a 55 yarder, but the ball was on like the 30 something and when you add 7 for placement that comes to somewhere around 48. That is still pretty good in that he got it off and was wide rt I believe. I think we have upgraded at kicker.

We have survived the two most testing games of the early season. I dont know if the SHU/Stetson score is comparable, but we now have an opponent that will enable us to better prepare for PFL action.

I hope we did not sustain any more bad injuries going into Trinity International.