• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #4: Davidson (Homecoming)

Started by VULB#62, September 17, 2016, 10:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Here's where you saw it covufan.  It was quoted earlier in this string from the interview as 72 points out.

Quote from: VU2624 on September 19, 2016, 07:45:08 PM
Preview of game from Coach Cecchini:

"If Ryan's cleared to play he's our QB".

usc4valpo

in the Sagarin, Davidson is dead last at 253, while Valpo is at 251. By the Sagarin ratings, Valpo is a 10 point favorite.

What does the coaching staff have against Seewald? He was outstanding last Saturday!!He needs to keep learning and is the future for success at Valpo.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 22, 2016, 09:16:56 PM
What does the coaching staff have against Seewald? He was outstanding last Saturday!!He needs to keep learning and is the future for success at Valpo.

It probably is not that they have something against Jimmy; rather they may have more confidence in / versatility from / whatever from.... Ryan at this point.  Ryan has had last season, this spring and preseason camp to absorb the entire offense.  Jimmy has only had part of preseason (remember he first had to distinguish himself from the other freshman QBs while Ryan was taking 1st team snaps) and the game snaps he's received so far. I'm not advocating for either -- just trying to explain what might be going on outside of our narrow knowledgebase as fans.

usc4valpo

I think there is a trend of coaches being conservative at the beginning of the season to start with the safe, known entity rather than the up and comer. It happened at Iowa a couple of years ago they started Rohach instead of Beathard. It is currently happening at USC where Sam Darnold is waiting to take the QB spot over Max Browne. The same is happening at LSU, Wisconsin, Iowa State, etc., and now it is happening at Valpo.

In the long haul, Seewald is a better QB and he should start, especially after being POW in the Pioneer. Give him the reigns to learn.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 23, 2016, 03:08:55 PM
In the long haul, Seewald is a better QB and he should start, especially after being POW in the Pioneer. Give him the reigns to learn.
I really think Cecchini should be going with Seewald. If you want to be a winner you need to make bold decisions and have confidence in a QB that has been successful. I think it says to Seewald that no matter how successful you were in a game I don't have enough confidence in you. In the future Seewald will remember this decision Cecchini made, reflect that maybe I'm not as good as others think I am and lose time in getting Seewald acclimated to the position he will hold for 3+ years at Valpo.

VULB#62

I prefer to think that Ryan will be given a short leash to reestablish his credentials.  Seewald is a freshman, and unless he is too full of himself, he will understand the coaching decision to give Ryan this opportunity.  Meanwhile, he is sitting in the wings, and, hopefully, has used this week to be prepared to replace Ryan at a moment's notice -- and that's what it will be, a moments notice. Jimmy will also have a sight leg up coming off the bench in that he will be viewing the coverages and line play from the sideline with the coaches and will be in good shape if he comes in in relief. It will play its way out no matter.

bbtds

I just happen to think that a guy with a bio such as this is who Valpo is looking for to lead them to many victories over the next few years and the sooner he starts taking over the reins the better.

Prep: A four-year letterwinner for the Falcons ... two-time All-Area selection by the Detroit News ... also twice a Dearborn All-City choice and named to the Detroit Free Press All-West Team ... earned First Team All-League honors at quarterback each of his final two years ... two-year team captain ... received the Tony Versaci Award in 2015, presented to the player who demonstrates strong Christian values, academic and athletic excellence and extraordinary leadership ... also earned three letters in basketball ... an All-League and All-City selection on the hardwood.

Personal: Son of Paul and Janet Seewald ... major is business.

I do realize that these bios don't mean a lot but if someone has an excellent bio it's Jimmy Seewald.

usc4valpo

I think it is a boneheaded decision not to start Seewald. Even if Valpo wins today, it is a boneheaded decision. True, Clarke has expereince, but experience in a 1-9 season. Cecchini is being too conservative on this decision.

vu72

Good first half.  Clarke, for the most part, looked good.  Obviously isn't the most accurate passer but made a very good throw to Rene for the TD.  Defense missed one deep throw but otherwise seemed to be getting stronger as the half progressed.  If I hear the Valpo Fund ad one more time I may lose it!!   :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

hailcrusaders

I like having these games on ESPN3 and understand we might be having student crews work this, but the camerawork could use a bit of help.
#CrusadersForever

VULB#62

I couldnt be there nor could I watch on ESPN3.  :(.  But I could follow play by play on game tracker and had my heart in my throat all the way til the last drive. Based only on game tracker, I'd have to give the game ball to our young and, to an extent, somewhat maligned OL. Almost every time we needed to get crucial yards to maintain possession, the OL opened holes for our RBs -- especially on the last drive of the game to keep the ball out of Davidson's hands. Anyone agree?

VULB#62

Dojan123

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 24, 2016, 10:52:27 PM
I couldnt be there nor could I watch on ESPN3.  :(.  But I could follow play by play on game tracker and had my heart in my throat all the way til the last drive. Based only on game tracker, I'd have to give the game ball to our young and, to an extent, somewhat maligned OL. Almost every time we needed to get crucial yards to maintain possession, the OL opened holes for our RBs -- especially on the last drive of the game to keep the ball out of Davidson's hands. Anyone agree?
Agree. Really wish more were covered on ESPN 3 but I am sure they do not bring in enough viewers to justify cost. 

Vinny

There's no such thing as a bad win especially with this program. However, I'm a little concerned that we squeaked by the worst ranked team in the nation at home on Homecoming wknd.

Valpo needs a good showing next week against a very good offense for me to believe any real corners are being turned. I don't expect a win at MSU, but they should be able to keep it within 14 points.

TIU and Davidson are awful football teams.

vu72

It was a very good game and Davidson has clearly improved over last year.  They had a pretty solid passing game and it was a fair fight at both lines.  The game ball should go to the defense who allowed 44 yards of rushing offense.  You would have to go back a very long time to find a similar result.

I would think the crowd was disappointing.  The weather was perfect and with hundreds of alumni in town why wasn't there at least what would be a disappointing basketball crowd?  I was thinking about the fact that our football facility seats less then our basketball facility.  How many D1 schools can say the same thing? Until we convince folks that we have a competitive team who won't get blown out, I wouldn't expect to see Brown Field any where near capacity.  I'm thinking that guys like 62 will remember days when both sides of the field had the stands full.  Let's hope those days return soon!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Here is the post game press conference. One comment struck me and may explain why the coaching staff went with Ryan over Jimmy -- experience at reading defenses and calling the right audible. This came into focus on the last drive of the game to protect the lead.  Ryan had the freedom to audible out of a called run when he read a corner blitz and hit a short high percentage pass for 8 yards instead.  Jimmy might not be ready to do that kind of thing yet. As Jimmy gets more seasoned, however, he will close that gap.  The other thing that struck me was how many times I heard the word "confidence" mentioned.  I didn't count exactly how many times, but that word was used a lot. Players represented: Freshman #32 Cody Boxrucker (6-0, 210. RB -- 2 TDs),  Junior #16 Ryan Clarke (QB), and Sophomore #24 Drew Snouffer (6-0, 220.  MLB).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HhkTvg39js

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on September 25, 2016, 07:24:05 AM
It was a very good game and Davidson has clearly improved over last year.  They had a pretty solid passing game and it was a fair fight at both lines.  The game ball should go to the defense who allowed 44 yards of rushing offense.  You would have to go back a very long time to find a similar result.

I would think the crowd was disappointing.  The weather was perfect and with hundreds of alumni in town why wasn't there at least what would be a disappointing basketball crowd?  I was thinking about the fact that our football facility seats less then our basketball facility.  How many D1 schools can say the same thing? Until we convince folks that we have a competitive team who won't get blown out, I wouldn't expect to see Brown Field any where near capacity.  I'm thinking that guys like 62 will remember days when both sides of the field had the stands full. Let's hope those days return soon!

The 1960's:  Not unusual to have 6000+ at games on rickety wood bleachers and lots of people standing along the sidelines.

FieldGoodie05

The ppl of NWI may be far too distracted with technology and unlimited entertainment options to turn out in those numbers again...

Wasn't long ago that a college sporting event was a top entertainment draw.  Sadly those days seem to be dwindling with sensory overload of today.

valpo64

I graduated in '64 when we had some pretty good teams but I can't remember ever having a crowd of 6,000.  If that was true, I would really be surprised.

VULB#62

6K was not always the rule, of course (usually more like 4K), but we had around 6K for some homecomings as well as vs. Ball Sate and Indiana State. I had an opportunity to see a home movie (Super 8  :lol:  ) of the home Butler game during the 1964 season's run to the ICC championship.  It was digitized to a DVD and played at the reunion of that 64 team that I attended two years ago.  Brown Field was filled to capacity with bleachers set up in both end zones and jammed as were the spaces between.  6K easy.  Part of it was that back in the day opposing fans travelled much better than now and helped fill the place. That Butler game had Butler fans packing the opposing sideline bleachers. We also had around 4,000 undergrads on campus back then, a hundred piece marching band, and a Saturday FB game was the main event of the weekend.  We also had beer machines in the fraternity houses   ::).  A by-gone era.

78crusader

The details of this game have been lost to history, but in the early 1970s -- maybe 1971 or 1972 -- VU played Butler at Brown Field.  Maybe it was homecoming, I can't remember.  But I was at that game and the stands everywhere were completely jammed.  There were people standing in the end zones and around the old concession stand on the west side of the old bleachers.  The next day the paper said there were 7,000 fans there.  I believe it. 

Paul

bbtds

Quote from: 78crusader on September 25, 2016, 05:08:42 PM
The details of this game have been lost to history, but in the early 1970s -- maybe 1971 or 1972 -- VU played Butler at Brown Field.  Maybe it was homecoming, I can't remember.  But I was at that game and the stands everywhere were completely jammed.  There were people standing in the end zones and around the old concession stand on the west side of the old bleachers.  The next day the paper said there were 7,000 fans there.  I believe it. 

Paul

Must have been because we had a marching band back then and Dr Telschow would direct it from a ladder on the sideline.  ;D

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 25, 2016, 09:51:28 AM6K was not always the rule, of course (usually more like 4K), but we had around 6K for some homecomings as well as vs. Ball Sate and Indiana State. I had an opportunity to see a home movie (Super 8  :lol:  ) of the home Butler game during the 1964 season's run to the ICC championship.  It was digitized to a DVD and played at the reunion of that 64 team that I attended two years ago.  Brown Field was filled to capacity with bleachers set up in both end zones and jammed as were the spaces between.  6K easy.  Part of it was that back in the day opposing fans travelled much better than now and helped fill the place. That Butler game had Butler fans packing the opposing sideline bleachers. We also had around 4,000 undergrads on campus back then, a hundred piece marching band, and a Saturday FB game was the main event of the weekend.  We also had beer machines in the fraternity houses   ::).  A by-gone era.

The home stands were SRO and there were fans on the sides as well. Davidson brought about 20 people. Playing Ball State and Indiana State (as examples) is going to result in a much larger attendance figure. I flew up last minute on Saturday and was happy I did.