• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #4: Davidson (Homecoming)

Started by VULB#62, September 17, 2016, 10:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Gee, you know, it would really be cool if we went into our second PFL game of the season (@ Morehead) at 2-2.  So how do we do that?  Beat Davidson, of course.  But how do we do that?  That's what this new string will seek to ascertain.  Opinionate away guys!

talksalot

The Wildcats Played Livingstone College (and won 38-12)... The recap and stats are here:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/gametracker/recap/NCAAF_20160917_LIV@DAVID/

Things that jump out... 2-11 on third down, LIV had 102 plays in the game, lots of penalties. 

Jimmy Seewald should be in for a good game.... forecast is sunny and 80.   Oh, wait.  It's homecoming, must be a misprint.

VULB#62

Holy cow -- look at those stats!  Totally out-played statiscally but won anyway.   ::)

TEAM STATS                   LIV            DAVID
First Downs                       21            14
Third Down Efficiency     6-24         2-11
Fourth Down Efficiency   5-10         0-0
Plays-Net Yards           102-312      54-239
Rushes-Yds                 51-68          31-115
Passing Yds                   244           124
Kick Return Yds                 78          0
Punt Return Yds                -1          0
Passes (Int)           24-51-(2)    9-23-(0)
Punts                       5-173          8-290
Fumbles-Lost              4-2         0-0
Penalties-Yds           13-114      7-179
Time of Poss.          33:52      19:36

In talking to one of the coaches after the TIU game I asked about Davidson coming up.  He mentioned that they replaced their offensive staff this season. From this result they seem to still be in an adjustment mode.  And it would also seem that the D was on the field an awful lot (102 plays to only 54 plays for the Davidson O) yet they bent but didn't break.

With the win, the Wildcats open the season 2-1 for the first time since the 2011 campaign.  They previously lost to Georgetown (now 2-0 Patriot League) 14-38 and beat Kentucky Wesleyan (now 0-3 D-II and have given up 126 points so far) 35-21

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 18, 2016, 11:48:35 AMHoly cow -- look at those stats!  Totally out-played statiscally but won anyway.   ::) TEAM STATS                   LIV            DAVID First Downs                       21            14 Third Down Efficiency     6-24         2-11 Fourth Down Efficiency   5-10         0-0 Plays-Net Yards           102-312      54-239 Rushes-Yds                 51-68          31-115 Passing Yds                   244           124 Kick Return Yds                 78          0 Punt Return Yds                -1          0 Passes (Int)           24-51-(2)    9-23-(0) Punts                       5-173          8-290 Fumbles-Lost              4-2         0-0 Penalties-Yds           13-114      7-179 Time of Poss.          33:52      19:36 In talking to one of the coaches after the TIU game I asked about Davidson coming up.  He mentioned that they replaced their offensive staff this season. From this result they seem to still be in an adjustment mode.  And it would also seem that the D was on the field an awful lot (102 plays to only 54 plays for the Davidson O) yet they bent but didn't break. With the win, the Wildcats open the season 2-1 for the first time since the 2011 campaign.  They previously lost to Georgetown (now 2-0 Patriot League) 14-38 and beat Kentucky Wesleyan (now 0-3 D-II and have given up 126 points so far) 35-21

They've played one game where they ran the ball more than passed it somewhat effectively, one game where they passed the ball more than ran it effectively and one game they didn't do a whole lot of either well. I don't know if they've stopped anyone all that well in terms of gaining yardage.

At this point I think any game Valpo goes into, until proven otherwise, we need to be concerned with stopping the run. Nothing earthshattering there but so far it is not something accomplished. With the triple option I'm not sure how much weight to put on yesterday's game. We've all seen GTech put up incredible numbers vs. great defenses and FCS Georgia Southern tore up Florida for over 400 yards on the ground a couple of years ago.

VULB#62

FYI - FROM THE DAVIDSON FAN FORUM (Didn't know where this would fit relative to Valpo's FB future, so I stuck it here -- probably not worth a separate string until actual movement is imminent):

Latest on the Big South.  The PFL will remain intact, for now, with 11 members.

This morning's announcement from the Big South and Atlantic Sun was that the Big South is giving pre-approval to associate football members coming from the Atlantic Sun (e.g. Jacksonville and Stetson) that may want to add scholarships in the future. Campbell, already in the Big South for most sports, was invited to join Big South football when/if they are ready.

From a news report:

Under the arrangement, already effective and set to be announced Tuesday, current or future Atlantic Sun Conference scholarship-football members within the geographic footprint of the Big South will automatically be admitted to the conference as associate football members.

But the two-conference partnership provides a guaranteed home for Kennesaw State, an Atlantic Sun member in other sports, and a potential guaranteed home for other football programs, including Atlantic Sun members Jacksonville and Stetson and Big South member Campbell. Those three play on the FCS level in the non-scholarship Pioneer Football League, and each program would join Big South football should it move to the scholarship level.

VULB#62

FROM THE DAVIDSON FORUM RE: LIVINGSTONE WIN

Random thoughts and observations about last nights game:

* We were very efficient and
dialed-in the first 25 minutes of the game. Well done.
* Our offense was not good at all the last 35 minutes. Lost focus big time.
* Livingstone was not very well coached. They were a trick-play machine, none of which worked.
* The lead ref was very entertaining. I hope we have him every game. Sink will expound.
* My spell check hates "Living Stone".
* We might be pretty good on defense. Much more aggressive with stunts and blitzes than last year. We have some very solid players on that side of the ball.
* We are a work in-progress on offense. The freshmen QB McGwire has "field presence".
* We have improved greatly on special teams over the past 2-3 years.
* Really nice crowd without much help from Blue Bear fans. Over 4000.
* The Charlotte Observer does not know we exist.
* We will win more games than UNCC. After I saw them play Elon last week I predicted they would only win one or two games all season. I might be right.
* No turnovers!

Valpo on the road next week is a great litmus test for us.
Go Cats!

Inasmuch as the Davidson Forum posted our Forum address, I'll reciprocate:  http://davidsoncats.com/viewtopic.php?t=23297&sid=6079ad304b35f0a2aad3efbb74a9bb34

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 19, 2016, 08:44:12 AMFYI - FROM THE DAVIDSON FAN FORUM (Didn't know where this would fit relative to Valpo's FB future, so I stuck it here -- probably not worth a separate string until actual movement is imminent): Latest on the Big South.  The PFL will remain intact, for now, with 11 members. This morning's announcement from the Big South and Atlantic Sun was that the Big South is giving pre-approval to associate football members coming from the Atlantic Sun (e.g. Jacksonville and Stetson) that may want to add scholarships in the future. Campbell, already in the Big South for most sports, was invited to join Big South football when/if they are ready. From a news report: Under the arrangement, already effective and set to be announced Tuesday, current or future Atlantic Sun Conference scholarship-football members within the geographic footprint of the Big South will automatically be admitted to the conference as associate football members. But the two-conference partnership provides a guaranteed home for Kennesaw State, an Atlantic Sun member in other sports, and a potential guaranteed home for other football programs, including Atlantic Sun members Jacksonville and Stetson and Big South member Campbell. Those three play on the FCS level in the non-scholarship Pioneer Football League, and each program would join Big South football should it move to the scholarship level.

I've read elsewhere that this is not really new news and would be well down the road.

Campbell, btw, is under some investigation (entire sports program) in which they may have to "give back" wins in multiple sports in seasons which include a win in football over Valpo.

VULB#62

FYI - Week 3 FCS ratings of PFL teams
MASSEY (125 schools)  SAGARIN (253)
70 USD 1-1                     196 USD
81 Dayton  2-1                213 Dayton
92 Jacksonville 1-1       224 Drake
95 Butler 2-1                  238 Butler         
101 Campbell 2-1          242 Morehead St.
104 Morehead St. 1-2    243 Campbell
106 Drake 1-2             244 Marist
109 Marist 0-3              246 Jacksonville
115 Stetson 1-1            248 Stetson
119 Davidson 2-1          251 Valpo
122 Valpo 1-2               253 Davidson

BOLD = Interesting variation

MASSEY Calls the Valpo/Davidson game a 50%-50% toss up.

FWIT Department:  Our other Lutheran FCS school, little Wagner College of the NEC, is traveling to FBS Boston College for a payday.  Massey: 100% BC.  WAGNER ATHLETIC BUDGET:  100% Wagner

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on September 19, 2016, 09:44:27 AM

I've read elsewhere that this is not really new news and would be well down the road.

Campbell, btw, is under some investigation (entire sports program) in which they may have to "give back" wins in multiple sports in seasons which include a win in football over Valpo.

Not new news but newly documented this past week and it does not mention imminent movement - just formalizes what would happen should any of the three schools decides to go FCS scholarship.

Big South and ASUN Establish FCS Member Partnership  http://bigsouthsports.com/news/2016/9/12/FB_0912162601.aspx

Interesting about Campbell though.  I wonder if non-scholarship FB would come into play if there were forfeitures?

covufan

We need a homecoming win!

Valpo  -  34
Davidson - 24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78crusader

Seems like this is true with each game we play --

But this is an important game for VU.  Win, and the season looks promising.  Lose, and it doesn't.

Paul

VU2624

Preview of game from Coach Cecchini:

"If Ryan's cleared to play he's our QB".

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on September 19, 2016, 07:45:08 PM
Preview of game from Coach Cecchini:

"If Ryan's cleared to play he's our QB".

Here's the video of that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjbbEgldeZA

Interesting that, according to Cecchini, Seewald played a half at ISU and Todd noted that he played much of the SHU game when Ryan went out.  He now has 3+ qtrs with TIU to add to that.  He has actually played more qtrs than Ryan.  Fans have to watch this play out, but don't make judgments this early in the week.  In a way after last season, it's nice to see us this deep at QB for a change.

FYI -  Stats after 3 games
QB            COM/ATT   %age    YDS   TD    INT
Clarke           17/33         .515      146    0       2
Seewald        41/69         .594      513    7       2

VULB#62

Davidson Game Notes have been Issued:  http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2016-17/15725/crusaders-ready-to-host-davidson-for-homecoming-game/#.V-F9eztiAo8

The 2-deep is pretty much unchanged from last week including QB.  No biggie, regardless of who starts, our QB will be a co-record holder with 5  TDs in a game  ;D

One thing I did note (I'm a bit slow these days and should have picked up on this earlier).  If the season were to end today, we would return 10 of 11 defensive starters plus Nunes is coming back (probably) for a 5th year.  If these guys mature over the course of the season, they could be a formidable unit. Better yet, there are no senior starters on the O and we are QB-deep. That'll be 21 of 22 starters going into Cecchini's 4th season.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 20, 2016, 01:36:36 PMDavidson Game Notes have been Issued:  http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2016-17/15725/crusaders-ready-to-host-davidson-for-homecoming-game/#.V-F9eztiAo8 The 2-deep is pretty much unchanged from last week including QB.  No biggie, regardless of who starts, our QB will be a co-record holder with 5  TDs in a game  ;D One thing I did note (I'm a bit slow these days and should have picked up on this earlier).  If the season were to end today, we would return 10 of 11 defensive starters plus Nunes is coming back (probably) for a 5th year.  If these guys mature over the course of the season, they could be a formidable unit. Better yet, there are no senior starters on the O and we are QB-deep. That'll be 21 of 22 starters going into Cecchini's 4th season.

The redshirt juniors are unlikely to return. That's 4-5 guys who start and/or certainly play a lot who likely won't be back.

vu72

Quote from: VU2624 on September 20, 2016, 01:49:06 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 20, 2016, 01:36:36 PMDavidson Game Notes have been Issued:  http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2016-17/15725/crusaders-ready-to-host-davidson-for-homecoming-game/#.V-F9eztiAo8 The 2-deep is pretty much unchanged from last week including QB.  No biggie, regardless of who starts, our QB will be a co-record holder with 5  TDs in a game  ;D One thing I did note (I'm a bit slow these days and should have picked up on this earlier).  If the season were to end today, we would return 10 of 11 defensive starters plus Nunes is coming back (probably) for a 5th year.  If these guys mature over the course of the season, they could be a formidable unit. Better yet, there are no senior starters on the O and we are QB-deep. That'll be 21 of 22 starters going into Cecchini's 4th season.

The redshirt juniors are unlikely to return. That's 4-5 guys who start and/or certainly play a lot who likely won't be back.

There are four R-Jr. who are listed as starters.  Interestingly enough, there is one R-Sr. on the two deeps.  Nuness will fall into that category next year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on September 20, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Glass ½ full view:  I prefer to think (actually, hope) that, say, 2 or 3 (if not all) of the 4-5 you mentioned decide that they are so close to being involved in turning the program around that they'll decide to hang around for one more semester (or graduate and take grad courses) to see this thing through. Nate Koeneman comes to mind last year.  He was the subject of a news article in which he said he was coming back to finish what he started.  The heart breaking thing about that was he got a season ending injury so early in the season.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 20, 2016, 05:10:47 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on September 20, 2016, 01:49:06 PMThe redshirt juniors are unlikely to return. That's 4-5 guys who start and/or certainly play a lot who likely won't be back.
Glass ½ full view:  I prefer to think (actually, hope) that, say, 2 or 3 (if not all) of the 4-5 you mentioned decide that they are so close to being involved in turning the program around that they'll decide to hang around for one more semester (or graduate and take grad courses) to see this thing through. Nate Koeneman comes to mind last year.  He was the subject of a news article in which he said he was coming back to finish what he started.  The heart breaking thing about that was he got a season ending injury so early in the season.
Quote from: VU2624 on September 20, 2016, 01:49:06 PMThe redshirt juniors are unlikely to return. That's 4-5 guys who start and/or certainly play a lot who likely won't be back.

With some knowledge of the overall situations, the issues are less football and more financial with a little bit of wanting to move on with their lives so to speak. I'm not sure how issues such as financial aid work with a 5th year.

VULB#62

It always come down to $$$ when it is a financial aid packge vs. athletic scholarship involved. That sucks. I would stupidly assume that whatever financial aid package was in effect this year would carry over to the next year if the player continues to be matriculated. Erik Hoffman was a good example of getting on with the ret of his life.  But some of these guys might feel a greater bond to this proggram and, if the $$$ can be worked out, might stay.  I hope, I hope.   :twocents:

usc4valpo

62- if a Valpo player graduates in 4 years with an additional year remaining,  it is doubtful he is going to stay and will likely move on in life. Financing is certainly one issue. The other issue is that Valpo does not offer a vast array of graduate study opportunities.

VULB#62

All understood, but a guy can hope.   ;)

usc4valpo

If Pioneer Conference POW Seewald starts:

Valpo 31, John Davidson 17

If Pioneer Conference POW Seewald does not start:

Valpo 20, John Davidson 17

VULB#62

FWIW, Not that it has any bearing on the outcome of the game, but the Valpo thread on the Davidson Forum has had a total of just 3 posts (2 Sunday and 1 Monday commenting on our attendance). Would have thought that after getting out to a 2-1 start there'd be more action over there.

http://davidsoncats.com/viewtopic.php?t=23297

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 21, 2016, 08:07:11 AM

Saw someplace (but can't seem to find source) that Cecchini has stated that if Clarke is cleared to play, he will be the starter.

vu72

Quote from: covufan on September 22, 2016, 09:25:59 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on September 21, 2016, 08:07:11 AM

Saw someplace (but can't seem to find source) that Cecchini has stated that if Clarke is cleared to play, he will be the starter.
[/b]

He said it in the preview video with Todd.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015